Reviews by the reaper

the reaper's avatar
    the reaper
    Venezuela Venezuela

Solo Loewe Absoluto by Loewe

Excellent fragrance. For the very first half a minute you smell the characteristic tangerine Solo Loewe note but inmediately the orchid note appears and stays for the rest of the show. It is dark, sober and misterious. It posseses the quality of a "niche worl of art" like someone already mentioned. Perfect projection and longevity. Two sprays are enough for the whole day. Again, it's loke a uninote type pf fragrance but well crafted.

29 March, 2014

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I didn't like it when I first smelled it years ago. It seemed weird to me. But this year my wife and me made a trip to the sea. Before going to the hotel, we entered a mall a saw Fahrenheit. My wife smelled it, liked it and bought it. And even impose me the use of it exclusively during our trip. So I did. And things changed. I got to tell that I don't find any gasoline or petroleum in it just a clean marine breezy early morning walk by the beach. It's clean and aquatic but not in the Aqua di Gio sense. I mean it in a very mature and poetic way. It inspires me to sit by the sea and write my notes, since I am a Psycologist. Fahrenheit, the sea, a cup of black coffee, my pen, my notebook, my converse y my wife and I'm done.

7 de Loewe by Loewe

Wow. This is incense at its best. But the type of incense you find at catholic churches at Holy Week, we call it Sahumerio. Not for everyone: agreed. But in me it's just wonderful. I love it. By the way, it's a bit similar to Cacharel Pour L'Homme.

Solo Loewe by Loewe

I find Solo a very modern fragrance that is perfectly balanced. The citrus, the wood, the spices, nothing outlast the other. It is very very modern. And it's the second fragrance that lingers noticeable for two days in me being the other Annick Goutal Sables which stays for three days as if just aplied. Bravo Loewe. Wonderful fragrance.

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Wow. After sometime waiting for this one, it finally arrived. I've got to say that this is the most original and different scent I've ever had. It has a sweet syrup note in the begining that stays for about two hours. Those two hours are strange in a positive way, remember it's a Luten fragrance. But then the leather appears and makes the fragrance simply wonderful and different. I still prefer Chergui over this but I can't deny that Cuir Mauresque is beautifull.

Iquitos by Alain Delon

Sweet rose

A real cheap wonderful sweet rose for men. Don't have to pay the big money for a Luten rose and like any Luten fragrance, this one needs to have the right moment to be worn. That aside, Iquitos is wonderful. So sad it's discontinuad but sometimes we find it here in Venezuela.

03 October, 2013

Erolfa by Creed

The perfect balanced smell for all ocassions. I bought this fragance based on the reviews of people that said that Erolfa is the most aquatic fragance ever. Nah!!!!!!! To me it smells like water. The only con is that it doesn't last enough but it appears every now and then. This would be the perfect go to fragance if it wasn't for the longevity thing. Thumbs up anyway.

Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani

Superb

This got me by surprise. My wife bought a bottle of this in Aruba for me and when I saw it I was disapointed but when I wore it, man, it smelled just wonderful. To me this is the real thing as far as ACQUAS is concerned. It has a soft menthol touch like Issey Miyake Bleue but it is softer and calming. I can't stop smelling it. Smells superb. Last the whole day. Projects balancely. Love it.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Sweet lavender

First time I word this fragance I was on vacation by the sea. So it always reminds me of it. I don't like how it smells in others but in me the thing makes me feel like I were meditating in yoga. Weird but that's what happens to me. By the way, the lavender of this fragrance is very very refined.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

The everlasting love

This was the first fragante I fell in love with and made it my signature back in 70's. But reformulations!!!! Yes, reformulations!!!!! I met my wife wearing this precious stuff and still wear it. But it doesn't smell the same anymore. Probably Modern Reserve resembles more the original one. Anyway, strong tobacco with pine. For men indeed.

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

disapointed

I was in Sephora in Champs Elysess so I know I smelled the real thing and must say that this thing is pure blah blah. Get a bottle of Chanel Anateus instead. Please Tom!!!!

Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone by Giorgio Armani

current line is better

This thing doesn't have anything aoustanding. L'Occitane Vetiver is by faaaaaaar better and cheaaaaaper than this. Only difference, you won't find this everywhere. Thanks God for that. A real waste of money.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

wonderful

The smell of wet grass cut by the morning. Calming. Relaxing.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Another damn reformulation

I used to have the vintage one and the thing smelled for days but had the strong syrup note. The reformulated version doesn't have it so pronunciated but doesn't last either. 10 or 15 sprays to get a satisfactory morning with the frgrance. What a job you have made people at Loreal. Damn!!! The same thing with Kouros.

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

Damn reformulations

Why do you have to mess with something that was simply bright, wonderful, masculine, different, well done? I just want to have the vintage one but I sit in humbleness and accept what it is now.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Marine not aquatic

Like I stated I consider this fragante as marine and not aquatic. It's a very serious fragance not a teenage stuff. I like second after Acqua di Gio Essenza to wear by the sea.

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

Lovely

I would like to have the right words to describe this fragance but I don't. All I can say is that this fragance in Eau de Parfum version smells like real musk. It's romantic and masculine.

Dior Homme Cologne by Christian Dior

Great barbershop fragance

I recently smelled this fragance and liked it. I bought it without testing it in my skin to find out about projection and longevity. This is really a very modern barbershop fragrance. This is how a man should smell like after being at his barbershop. When I was a child, my father used to take me to a certain italian barbershop where after your haircut they would spray you around with Jean Marie Farina Cologne. Dior Homme Cologne is the MODERN cologne they should spray on you after your haircut. Now, the thing smells wonderful but does not last an hour. If Dior intended this to be a COLOGNE, then they succeeded. And other thing, it should not be called Dior Homme Cologne but just Dior Cologne because that little word HOMME makes you expect the caracteristic iris of Dior Homme but it is not present in the fragrance. A good fragante anyway.

Pros: Modern
    Cons: Doesn't last

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Superb

Every time I see the word Oriental in a fragrance, don't get any oriental thing until I smelled this wonderful and exquisite fragrance. Wow. Really oriental, spicy, full of mistery. In my case, I can only wear one spray because if I wear more than that, I become what we call in spanish "empalagado", that is, to be too full of something delicious, so the only way, as I said, in my case, is to wear only one spray. When I do so, I can smell it the whole day and enjoy every single part of it. Wonderful.

Encounter by Calvin Klein

Beautiful synthetic

This is as synthetic as it can be but I LOVE it. It's fresh, casual, modern, unofesive, little sweet. Projects and lasts enough. I don't know but I just love it.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Modern

I really love this fragrance, specially the new formulation. It mixes perfectly with my body chemistry to the point that everybody has always something good to say about the fragance without knowing what I'm wearing. The thing is that I have never like the way how it smells in others. Always get headaches when I smell it in other people but in me the story is different. Ph I guess. I also have Absolutely Gold which in my opinión is softer with a sweety oriental creamy base. I just love them both.

Pros: Last the WHOLE day
    Cons: a lot of people wear it

Le Beau Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Another flanker

Yes, I wrote it right. Its pro is also its con because when you see Le Male on the label, you expect the caracteristical lavender that has made Le Male unique. But this fragrance, even though smells really good, does not have the Le Male root. A very nice and diferente summer fragance that lasts and projects more than other summer fragances in the market but in my particular case, I was expecting something fresh with the Le Male lavender somewhere. Anyway.

Pros: Diferent
    Cons: Diferent

Shalimar by Guerlain

Great, but the Eau de Parfum

This review is about the Eau de Parfum. I never did enjoy the Eau de Toilette since I always perceived it as repulsive and dificult to tolerate but one day I saw the Eau de Parfum in my usual fragance store. I tried and liked it inmediately. It's creamy, spicy and has that something that turn it very sensual. I liked it so much that I bought it for myself (I'm a man). In this versión you can really see the similarity with Habit Rouge. Definetely thumbs up.

Pros: Projection and longevity as they should be
    Cons: hard to find

Sables by Annick Goutal

When I tried Sables for the first time I didn't like it. Perhaps it was because we were in Paris, it was October and the wearher was a mixture of rain, cold and clouds. But I took a vial with me back home. Then one day I decidd it ti give it a full try and WOW!!! What a perfect a beautiful man fragrance. It's strong but not cloying. It stayed with me for three days, not lying, and the longevity and projection at third day were the same as first day. I so much regret not buying it but this year I'll return to Paris and will pack me a five bottled stock. Oh yes sir.

22 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 March, 2014)

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Never have liked the previous Fahrenheits but this one is airy and soft. Perfect for a beach walk when it's downing. To me AF is the perfect version of Aqua di Gio with Issey Miyake L'eau for men. Soft and pleasant.

22 December, 2012

Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A strong rose that a man can use from times to times if he feels as an eastern man.

22 December, 2012

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Smells like Pino Silvestre to me. I don't know but I regret I bought it.

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is not antiparfum but anti Serge Lutens. But it smells wonderful anyway. Perfect for daytime or office wear.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This stuff is strong. At the beginning it smells like something strongly medicinal but about 3 hours later it transforms into a beautiful incense fragrance. But that's too much waiting for what I like.

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

It smells good but it's so linear that it gets boring. The only real good thing about it is that in my skin it lasts for about 48 hours. Really.