Reviews by DebraJean

Cardin by Pierre Cardin

This is all musk & civet in a sick way. I had to wash this off. It was going nowhere.
It had nothing redeming in it. A migrane with nothing interesting.
14th October, 2008

Green Tea by Victor

It's light roses & green tea. It's nice & easy. Gets a little dirty at the end. Very good first bottle for someone who has never smelled perfume before & wants to start slow. It's not interesting in any way but I honistly like it, & so does my roomate. Though boring I give a thumbs up because it's simple & sweet.
13th October, 2008

Maxim's de Paris by Maxims

I didn't like this. I thought it was boring & forgetable. A powdery Chanel No.5 wannabe with non of the sass & class. The packaging is nice though.
13th October, 2008

Gucci No. 3 by Gucci

I did not like this. It seemed messy, muddy, & without a point. It was behind the times in a bad way. There was nothing interesting about thing. It smelled like oakmoss with no other notes. It's very frustrating in the same way that Black Orchid is. It's something you want to like so much. It sounds like it's being made just for you. You go out of your way to find it, & then it's not even interesting.
05th October, 2008

Chance Eau de Toilette by Chanel

There is no way to wear this well. It wears you. Cheap women & older rich women who are starting to party again are who I smell this on.
05th October, 2008

Green Datura by Voluspa

You bite a young green plant out of the dirt, the sharp green makes your teeth hurt, you eat a green apple slice sprinkled with lemon to get the taste out of your mouth, & then your boyfriend rubs your face in his smelly armpit, you go home & shower & put on clothes fresh from the wash. Thats exacty what it smells like throughout the day.

Not something I would wear but from time to time I put it on & take the ride & that makes it a winner to me.
04th October, 2008

No. 5 by Chanel

There is a reason this is a classic. It's not inaccessible in any way. It's lovely & light yet rich & classy. Men adore it. Women want to be your friend when you wear it. & it only gets better as time goes on. It's perfect for work....& it's Chanel!

Don't make the beginners mistake of smelling this out of the bottle or even on paper. It won't give you a migraine; just spray it right on your arm.
28th September, 2008

Arpège by Lanvin

Oh my goodness, I love this.
To me it seems inspired by L'Heure Bleue, another fragrance I adore, but it really stands alone.

I was lucky enough to find an old set of Arpège. In it there is; a large bottle of the "Arpège Eau De Lanvin" I assume is the EDT, a purse sized 1.8oz little bottle of what I assume is EDP or parfum, a big flask of the talc, & a bar of the soap. I'm not going to try the soap at the moment as I would like to photograph it.

The Talc starts off fishy, yet still smelling of Arpège. In minutes it sofens & then wilts. I can't see using it for much. I hate the feel of talc on my hands & skin. It’s in lovely packaging though, the black bottle in plastic by Armand-Albert Rateau without the godron top. Though still very pretty for display on a lady’s vanity.

The Arpège Eau De Lanvin is just about perfect. It's aldehydes lift the scent up off the skin & makes the air around you so lovely that men can't help but lean into you. On the skin It's powdery without being old maid-ish & sexy yet still restrained. It's soft & classic through the hearts. It's many floral scents mixing create an abstract idea of what a garden smells like. The drydown is summer nights here. Night blooming flowers, wet soil, spicy grass crushed under young bodies, flowers littering the ground & your lovers hair. It's just about as good as it gets.

Then we have the mystery EDP or parfume. Oh my. It's richer, sexier, spicier, dryer, & has a touch of fruit that makes your mouth water. & that’s just the beginning. You enter the garden again but it's overgrown. The flowers are closing in around you & not one stands out. It's a dry day & the scent could almost make you light headed with its beauty. It's as if you are in a dream where the air is as rich as a ripe plum, as dry as prosecco, & the dirt on your gown doesn’t matter. The dry down is so spicy & dry it makes L'Heure Bleue smell sweet. It's sexual, adult, and even bloody. Where the Arpège Eau De Lanvin is a walk at night, the mystery parfume or EDP, is what you smell like after the best moments with your lover.
19th September, 2008

Songes by Annick Goutal

I love this. It is a magical creation.

It's entered my stable of top three with L'Heure Bleue, Le Basier du Dragon. There is something so haunting about it. It's full of life.
It's like a child picked you flowers & when you received them they were smashed a bit from being held so tightly. The sharpness of the crushed stems almost covered by the flowers scent. The pollen dusting your hands & resting on your cheek. It's perfect.

I read that people are talking about a 'rubber' smell. I don't know if many have smelled night jasmen in bloom but this scent does it perfectly.
Flowers do not smell like what we have been led to belive.
Smell real flowers blooming from dirt. They are not sugary sweet, they have a bit of rot & nastyness to them.
Those supermarket cleansers are not smelling of real life, don't accept them as the basis for what things should smell like.

15th September, 2008

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

The lemon & cypress are artfull, not at all like a cleaner.
Very classy, but does not last at all on me. Thats why I give it a neutral in the Eau d’Hadrien form. In a more extended form, like the Hadrien Absolu, it would be thumbs up.
If you want something very light try this as the ylang ylang drydown is like the soft breath of a lover.

Antilope by Weil

It was all over the place. Every time it changed it was as if I had opened a new bottle. I did like the dry chamomile, and also the hearts where it smelled like skin but better, like something you could sleep in. But when the vetiver hopped up it turned into a cheap mens aftershave on me. So sad. The dry down thats after that though is lovely & goes back to that skin but better scent.

I expected more, I expected to fall in love.

Oh & it's the parfume I have.

Ma Griffe (original) by Carven

This smelled like a mens bathroom on me. I'm not even joking, this was the conclusion of more then one. It was horrid. It actualy made me choke throughout.

It would smell cinnamon & good for about 5 seconds & then go back to that sage & aldehyde mess. I ordered a vintage bottle, it might be off, but pee & cheap cleansing products is not a classic to me.
I will try this again though!

Niki de Saint Phalle by Niki de Saint Phalle

It's not remarkable but it's still enjoyable. The dry down is a little sharp & musty for me but my male friend really liked it on me. Lovey packaging, the blue bottle with the snakes is very unique.

Les Divines Alcoves - Amoureuse by Crazylibellule & The Poppies

I have this in a hard perfume. The packaging is cute, a cardboard tube in a light pink.

It's a dusty rose, but in a modern way. I adore it, spicy vanilla, dry tea rose, dark sweet musk without being at all gormond-ie. This is a really great perfume & it's very cheap. There is no reason you should not buy one.

If I wear my new L'Heure Bleue out this is what I will carry in my bag for touchups when it hits that bitter point. I have received so many complaments with this & more ;)

I only wished it lasted longer.

G-man by Gainsboro

It reminds me of the frankinsence in a funerel parlor, & it has all the charm of the corpse.

Nice bottle though.

Smells like 90s dads, with mustashes. My friend disagress he says, "it smells like 40s dads with psoriasis. It smells exactly like I'm about to get my ears pinched by some old guy in church."

eww

Joy by Jean Patou

I won 3 baby packages of Joy on ebay. Two were the eau de toilette, & the other one was full of a darker juice & labeled eau de JOY.
I put the eau de toilette on my right hand & the eau de JOY on my left.
The right hand is brighter, sharper, & lacks the depth that the left hand has. It's as if I had two different brands on as apposed to two different versions of the same perfume.
The dusty, cat booty is what the right hand is all about. & the left is an almost fruity, dark jasmin, & rich civet where the on the left the civet was demanding & loud, very much an old fur jacket.

Very interesting & lovely. Sexual, dirty, yet refinded. Like a wild romp in the coat room at a friends black tie event.

Ming Shu Fleur Rare by Yves Rocher

This is a cheap, boring, syntetic drugstore scent. Not worth the space it used on my skin.

Cute packaging though.
12th September, 2008

Salvador by Salvador Dali

Gross. Made my friend turn into an agressive jerk the minute he put in on.
Smelled like a used car salesmen.

Dalissime by Salvador Dali

This is an unbelievably dusty apricot/peach scent.

I see entering an unused room in your old maid aunts home & smelling peach, not fresh, but peach non the less. You open an old drawer & in it you find, a peach & sandalwood body spray from the 70s, old desiccated flowers tied together with a rotting brown velvet ribbon & a long thin box of sandalwood incense. You try to pick the flowers up & they explode into dust. You brush aside the dust & there are love letters. Heavy old paper, browned at the edges, one of the envelopes has a tea bag in it. You bring it to your nose. It's gone off but you still find it compelling. You sniff it again & again lost in dreams. What? Someone is calling you? You grab the body spray & in your rush to shove it back into the drawer you spray it on you hands. All through the day the experience haunts you every time you lift your hands to your face.

So on me it went 2 minutes of bright top totes, dusty getting dustier for ever, & then the peachy apricot comes back at the very end.
Very interesting but not something I would want to smell like, today anyway.
It lasted for 20 hours.

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

Gourmand oriental? This stuff is a huge let down. It's a super synthetic mess. Every note has a hard plastic edge. It smells exactly like an upscale sunscreen.
The drydown does have a nice clean river water note that works well.
The only time I would ever wear this is going to the beach or river, or any time I had to be covered in sunscreen.

It could be so much better, it's a great idea, I was so excited to recieve it, but it was terrible.

Mignonette by Voluspa

Nummy. I feel it's the best of the line as well. This is really one of the standouts for me, but all their offerings are getting better & are worth a try especially at their super low prices. This is just the one that works the best on me.

It's pretty linear with the sweet, but not sugar sweet, real fruit sweet, raspberry overtones that last all throughout. The Lavender keeps it dry & meshes so nicely with the white talc. Almond milk keeps it juicy & the leaves, respectively, raspberry & tangerine keep it tangy. The vanilla mellows it all nicely. It's a fruity flowery juicy dry scent & everyone loves it. It's perfect for everyday wear when you need something fresh, yummy, but dry enough to be adult. & I doubt you will smell this on another soul. One of my mellow easygoing everyday faves.

Even if this dosnt seem like your kind of perfume look up the Voluspa line just to check out the packaging. Very cute.

Something funny about the mignonette bloom:
04th September, 2008

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Vile is more like it.

But beyond that it's a cucumber top not that turns into an old mans linament, into that same old mans medicine. Thats one cheeky old gent, trying to cover up his nursing home scents with nasty cucumber. Blach! He pinched my behind!
04th September, 2008

Fracas by Robert Piguet

In my eabaying adventures I was kindly sent a gooey, oily, sample of Fracas in with some other scents. Yum, at first it smelled like bubble gum & sweet tarts, respectively, to different noses. One male friends overwhelming approval "Mmmm it's gentle", and another’s response likened it to putting on a warm blanket, comfort personified...in a smell.
It was loved by everybody in the room.
After hours the heart appeared & sadly was an old orange lipstick I found in my grandmas trash.
Then the dry down got even worse it became a dried up, musty, bouquet, that once was the fresh head of this perfume.
I would wear this again just for the way it greets you. The heart & drydown are not offensive, just dull.
03rd September, 2008

Sensi by Giorgio Armani

I suprised no one has made the connection before but as a medical weed state I know that this Sensi smells like Sensi buds. That bubble gum over ripe banna smell on a backround of vanilla. It's to synthic for my tastes but an interesting concept.
02nd September, 2008 (last edited: 13th October, 2008)

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

Adding to my review of this sent out yesterday:

It made it extremely sick when I wore it as opposed to having just a drop on my hand for review purposes. Very, very sick. & this is from someone who can shower in "Le Baiser du Dragon".
Very disapointed.
01st September, 2008 (last edited: 02nd September, 2008)