Reviews by Ronin

Ronin's avatar
    Ronin

GapBody Velvet Bloom by Gap

This one is going cheap at the discounters. I spotted a 100ml bottle for $7.99. I sprayed some one and I think it's lovely stuff. I don't know if there is anything else out there like this for women but at this price it's worth a try or purchase. You may not like it but someone you know probably will so you can always just give it away. Even though this is an eau de toilette don't think that it will fade quickly. This is a good one to spray on clothes.

22nd August, 2010

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

I like it so much that I think I will always have a bottle in my collection. It goes on strong but quickly settles down. It is rather linear so don't be afraid to get a bit on your clothes for longer longevity. Wonderful and sexy stuff that can be used throughout the year.

03rd June, 2010

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

As others had mentioned there are some similarities between Plus Plus and Dunhill Desire and Boss Bottled, but there are enough differences between the group to warrant a purchase. It's sweet and versatile enough to work for all months but be easy on the trigger during the hot days. I can't believe how cheap a 2.5 oz. bottle is for this discontinued fragrance.

09th February, 2010

Costume National 21 by Costume National

Love it! I would reserve this one for the colder days. The longevity and sillage are good when sprayed on clothes but I was still able to subtly smell the two sprays that I applied on my neck for many hours afterward. You definitely have to wait a short while before this one develops since it can smell strange when first applied. This was a pricey blind buy for me and I am glad that I took a risk with this one. Can't really add much except a thumbs up!

19th December, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2010)

Hilfiger Athletics by Tommy Hilfiger

This is one that I didn't much care for at first but after some wearings I began to take a liking to it and wear it often. Starts out sharp but then nicely settles. I spray this one on clothes most of the time since I like to it to linger for as long as possible. The other reviewers speak well about the notes.

02nd October, 2009

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

This is lovely stuff. A spicy and sweet fragrance that can be worn in all types of weather. I found this one to blossom when there's lots of body heat. Just when I thought it was gone hours later after spraying I started to work out a bit and I started smelling this out of nowhere and just knew I had to buy myself a bottle.

06th September, 2009

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Weak, woody scent. It's even light when applied on clothing. Even if it lasted and had strong sillage, I still wouldn't care for it.

13th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 12th April, 2010)

Z Zegna Extreme by Ermenegildo Zegna

I'm changing this review from a neutral to a positive. My main complaint is that I just would have wanted the sillage to be stronger. I'm sure this would make for a fine summer fragrance. The fragrance itself smells wonderful.

19th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 03rd February, 2010)

Azzaro Now Men by Azzaro

This is just so vibrant that I don't think I can get tired of it. I've worn this on a few occasions and enjoyed it every time. This is a really good one to wear during the warmer months. I prefer to spray this one on clothes since the topnotes are fantastic and I want to keep them around for as long as possible. I tried another bottle of this and the topnotes weren't nearly as vibrant as my friend's bottle.

19th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 13th August, 2009)

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

This is a lovely fragrance. I bought a bottle for my mother and love smelling it once in a while out of the nice-looking bottle. I even ended up spraying it on myself before and let's just say there's no confusing this one for a unisex fragrance. I'm not sure how strong it is compared to other female fragrances but its strength seems just right to me. This is a solid choice for women of all ages.

15th June, 2009

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

I don't understand the good reviews here. It's not that it's bad smelling, but rather it's just too plain and subtle. There is barely any sillage but with lots of sprays it can last a bit but what's the use when you'll be barely picking up on it yourself. I'm not sure how people say so many good things about this. There's nothing special in Ikon.

22nd February, 2009 (Last Edited: 19th June, 2009)

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a nice one but I don't think I would wear this one too often. I do perceive it as having a mature edge as some have pointed out. The longevity for Rive Gauche is a strong point. It is not as overbearing as some may have you believe. Depsite the great reviews, this is not a safe buy and I think you should sample before buying a bottle.

22nd February, 2009 (Last Edited: 02nd March, 2009)

Montana pour Homme by Montana

This is some refreshing stuff that I imagine would be great during any time of the year. I may give this one further testing but despite having a powerful blast the fragrance seemed to fade quickly. Perhaps more sprays will correct this problem but I didn't spray too much since the sprayer is like a fire hose in the amount it expels. The smell itself is fantastic.

22nd February, 2009

Baby Blue Jeans by Versace

This is a nice one and can be bought for cheap nowadays which is great since this is a quality fragrance. I do find it to be sophisticated and a bit mysterious despite what others may think. It is lovely stuff and lasts a while. I shall be buying a bottle.

22nd February, 2009

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

This one amazed me with its quality and I didn't expect it to be this good. I just find it to be a sexy fragrance that is versatile. Some may not find it to be an everyday kind of fragrance, but I disagree. As long as you don't overapply it can be worn at all times. The longevity is also excellent and I really enjoyed the sweetness and smoothness of Michael. Let this one drydown to fully judge it.

03rd January, 2009

Set Sail South Seas for Men by Tommy Bahama

This is a boozy one that I enjoyed wearing. I first tried this one during the summer and found it to be a decent selection for the warmer days. This one was all over the place in the discount shops for really cheap for the 3.3 oz bottle so it's a real bargain for what you get. I wore this one a few times and liked it but not something I would wear regularly. It's definitely still fun to wear once in a while.

28th December, 2008

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

I don't understand the hate for this one. It starts out citrusy and later turns into some kind of sweet leathery smell with other elements thrown in for good measure. I find this development to be really nice with just the right amount of sweetness. This one is no doubt masculine and a nice release for 2008.

06th December, 2008

Geir by Geir Ness

This one is powdery, sweet, mysterious and sexy. I even detect some booziness which adds to its mysterious presence. This is also really potent when I sprayed on the back of the hand and it lasted for hours and I could still detect it after washing my hand a few times. I may test this one out one more time just to be sure if it's as good as I first thought. This is no doubt a quality fragrance. I imagine this to be most perfect for the fall/winter season but it can definitely be used all year.

02nd December, 2008

Brit for Men by Burberry

This one starts out sharp but wait for it to dry down. It does become powdery but there is also much sweetness that I really like in a fragrance. Some said that this does not produce much silleage but I disagree. The longevity is also great. I sprayed it twice on my arm and once on my neck and I could smell it hours later and so could my friend who was sitting near me. This fragrance should be a staple for me during the fall/winter months. I will definitely pick up a large bottle of this.

11th November, 2008 (Last Edited: 21st November, 2008)

H.M. by Hanae Mori

EDP Review: This stuff is just amazing. It's potent and lasts a long while. I didn't get much development out of this one but that doesn't matter to me. The sweetness is not obnoxious and everything about the fragrance is sensual. Some may even think it's feminine but not me. The EDP version is top-notch stuff.

11th November, 2008

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

At the time of testing this it was sweet, flowery and inoffensive. It didn't leave much of an impression on me. It's just okay. Nothing special for me.

03rd November, 2008

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

This is an okay fragrance in my book. I was close to giving it a neutral. I was expecting to be blown away and instead got something that was just good. Even though this is a green fragrance it still felt dirty. This is not a fresh fragrance that you find all over the place nowadays. I'm not sure if I will go seek this one out again. It's good, but not great.

01st November, 2008

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This one is top-notch. The longevity is also excellent and the fragrance goes through different transformations throughout the drydown. I really love this one and it is one that I wear and will continue to wear often. The store testers can be misleading because they are exposed to heat and light so the juice may not smell like it is intended to. When first testing this one at the store all I got is some kind of orange and not much else. I tried this at two stores and it was not on the same level as my bottle. If you get a bottle that has been stored in good conditions then expect to be impressed by this beauty. Of course there will be those who will not like it even if they try a good bottle. I love it!

28th October, 2008 (Last Edited: 17th December, 2008)

Nicole Miller for Men by Nicole Miller

I'm reviewing the 2008 version. I never tried the vintage Nicole Miller before it was discontinued so I cannot say much about all the great reviews. It was put back on the market and I gave it a try. This one starts out half decent but then the topnotes fade instantly that there is no doubt that the re-introduced version is really cheap in quality and ingredients. Just avoid this since there's nothing special about it and seems watered down big time.

19th October, 2008

Poison by Christian Dior

This one starts out strong but settles nicely. It's a shame women don't wear fragrances like this these days. This was in the male fragrance section for some reason so I sprayed it on myself. I thought it may even be something a man could wear and never questioned whether it was male or female. My friend mentioned that it reminded him of a perfume his mom had. He said the same thing about Alien by Thierry Mugler which reminded me of this when I spraed it on a card and I also really liked it. I can't believe the negative reviews by women. It's definitely something you should try before buying. There's no telling if a male will like this one but I sure do. This stuff is magical, mysterious and seductive.

19th October, 2008

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

This is a nice one. I can't go in detail about exactly how it smells but to me it smells like a classic from the past that has been toned down a bit. I've tried the original Polo on a paper card but that one goes on sharp and not sure how it is compared to this Modern Reserva version. I will most likely buy this stuff when the price goes down a bit. Thumbs up.

18th October, 2008

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I first gave this one a neutral because of the longevity issue that I had at first. Later I tried this one again and sprayed on my forearm and it lasted much longer this time. Awesome fragrance but there is a chance that it can still fade quickly.

18th October, 2008 (Last Edited: 28th October, 2008)

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

This is a good fragrance that I had mixed opinions about it. I almost gave it a neutral. I may give it more testing or may just go ahead and buy a 2.5 oz. bottle. I will have to think this one over. Then again, with so many frags that didn't impress me, this one did alright for my first wearing. A shaky thumbs up. Perhaps soon I can give it a full one.

18th October, 2008

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

I may not like it as much as many of these other reviewers but I think this is a good one that's worth checking out. I find the fragrance to be refined and smooth and not too strong. I think it is versatile and can be worn anywhere and anytime. I don't know what else to say since I'm just here to give my approval. Test this one first at any department store since you can either like it or be underwhelmed since the reviews are so good.

10th October, 2008

PS by Paul Sebastian

This one disgusts me and I had to wash it off. I tried to keep an open mind but I just couldn't bear the smell even after one spray. Potent stuff for sure. It can be found cheap nowadays for large bottles but definitely try before buying. Don't even think about buying this one blind. This is one I will avoid.

10th October, 2008