Reviews by Ronin

Ronin's avatar
    Ronin

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

As everyone said this one comes with a really cheap price tag. The bottle comes in the shape of nice cigar. The quality is also very nice and it lasts a while. May be worth a try for the price.

09 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

This fragrance is too fleeting and surely has been reformulated like many older releases. If only it was fuller and more rounder than it would be a thumbs up but it just feels neutered which is a shame.

09 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Burberry for Men by Burberry

This is a good one and is really affordable. I first tried this one back in about 2002 and liked it even back then as a teenager so this one can be tried by the younger crowd as well as those much older. Read the other reviews for more details since I'm just here to give this one a thumbs up.

05 October, 2008

Cool Water Frozen by Davidoff

There is something about this that is unsettling. When I sprayed this it felt sticky and just sort of stuck to the skin. I am not sure how the sillage is but I cannot see myself wearing this again. The smell is okay but I think I will avoid the Cool Waters and perhaps others by Davidoff since they have something to them that I dislike.

02 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

This one surprised me. With all the other Lacoste fragrances at the large department stores this one seems like a forgotten gem. It's just a fresh and simple scent that can be worn at any time. Don't let the simplicity fool you since it is what adds to its charm. It's not a powerhouse and the scent is soft and subtle. Feel free to overspray this one. This is a welcomed addition to my collection.

02 October, 2008

Rykiel Homme Grey by Sonia Rykiel

This one is definitely not for me. Sonia Rykiel Homme got decent reviews and Grey Homme was said to be more powerful by one reviewer so I went ahead and got this one. I'm willing to bet that the smell can make many people nauseous if overapplied or smelled up close. This fragrance is powerful and it's just not something that I enjoy. I went and washed this stuff off a few minutes after spraying because I couldn't bear this smell. Not for me. I urge everyone to try before buying.

01st October, 2008

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I can see the part where some may refer to this as being a bit old fashioned but at the end it doesn't matter because the smell is great, timeless and versatile. I just wish it was stronger and had more sillage. I'm sure this was some really nice stuff back in the day with the original formulation but it's just too subdued nowadays,

30th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

I originally disliked this one but it was because I sprayed too much and it became cloying. I originally sprayed it with a spray bottle that was without the rubber flask. With the plastic flask the sprays seem to be controlled a bit more and doesn't spray as much as the ones without it. This is a really nice fragrance and I'm glad I gave this one another chance. I almost feel ashamed for originally giving this one a thumbs down. Go easy on the sprayer.

10th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 October, 2008)

Black Jeans by Versace

I really like this fragrance. Reading some of these descriptions about the smell from other people initially turned me off despite being mostly positive. I decided to take a chance since its discontinued and I better buy it now before it's too late. I am so glad I did. Yeah, the drydown smells a bit like tar, leather and tires. Who wants to smell like all of those things I thought. Well, it's a seductive smell that I enjoy and many others as you can see. The fragrance is subtle at first but the drydown is where it shines. I am so glad I blindly bought this fragrance and it will be one that I will be comnig back to time after time.

10th September, 2008

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

This is definitely a casual scent but nothing special. There are likable qualities about this but there are also parts that can be sickening if you overspray. Not one I would use often.

07 September, 2008 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Ferrari Racing by Ferrari

This one surprised me. I would rate this as the most sophisticated of the Ferraris that I have tried. It has decent longevity and sillage. This one can be worn throughout the year. I don't know what else can be said.

06 September, 2008 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

Let me start out by saying that I really liked this product when first spraying it on. It was until a couple of hours later during the drydown that I got annoyed by the smell. It is not an intoxicating smell in the long run but may be so at first spray. The longevity is long but that may not be a good thing since the smell can annoy you after a while. This fragrance went from a thumbs up to a neutral and almost negative in my opinion. This is a fragrance that does not require many sprays. Try before buying.

05 September, 2008

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

This fragrance is strong and lasts a long time. The dry down in definitely better than the initial spray but it's still a bit overpowering in my tastes. I can see this fragrance making some people nauseous because of its overpowering vanilla smell in the drydown. If you're going to buy this, please don't overspray. A few sprays is definitely enough for this fragrance. I was going to buy this fragrance blindly but I am now glad that I was able to test this one before buying. This one is not for me but I can see many people liking it. There are times that I like the smell but then it turns me off at the same time. Again, do not overspray this one. People will smell you even after the first spray.

02 September, 2008

Story by Paul Smith

I had a change of heart with this one. A while back I was not too impressed with it since I found it to be too subtle. However, now I see that I was mistaken when spraying a bit more on this time and getting some sprays on the clothes as well. The longevity and strength is much greater than I originally thought and that was my main complaint when I first tested it. This has a light clean aura about it that is enjoyable. This is an all-around scent that can be worn throughout the year but is one that I will be reaching for in the warmer months.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Very nice! I love tea! Even though it's a unisex cologne there are times that I feel like it is a fragrance that can be better pulled off by a woman but I wouldn't mind wearing this myself ocassionally. But who am I to judge who can wear what. This is a nice fragrance that is not overpowering and you are welcome to spray away on this one. I am thinking about buying my mother this fragrance and this way I can use it myself once in a while.

Corduroy by Zirh

This is another great fragrance that can be had without burning your wallet. The smell of this juice has been described by others so I won't get into that. This is a sweet warm scent that can be used by anyone. Corduroy is worth a try for its dirt cheap price. What more can I say.

Ferrari Passion by Ferrari

Not as good as I once thought it was in my earlier days. This is definitely a casual fragrance that can be worn at any time of the year but nothing all that great. I prefer the other Ferraris to this.

Horizon by Guy Laroche

Wow, this fragrance is fresh. Just a great all-around scent. The bottle looks and feels great and I have no idea why this was discontinued but the good news is that they can be bought dirt cheap. I am a believer in not spending tons of money on a single fragrance and that there are many excellent fragrances out there that can be inexpensive. I just don't see myself buying expensive fragrances at Macys or elsewhere when great fragrances like these can be found in discount stores for less than $10.

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

I wanted to try the Ferrari fragrances and I bought Black blind. I must say that I am satisfied with this but I just would have liked it to have more sillage. Even though I can personally smell it I do not know how well it projects towards others. A decent casual fragrance best worn during the warmer months.

Escada Homme by Escada

This scent is not for everyone. I am a university student and this scent just does not appeal to me and I am willing to predict that people in my age group may not like this one either since it may remind them of something that people much older would wear. When first sprayed it is a strong powerhouse but the drydown is much better. The price of this juice is really cheap and would be a good scent for the older gentleman but not for a young buck like myself. These are just my thoughts even though I hate to put an age restriction on a fragrance. People should wear whatever they choose but I just thought I would share my words.