Reviews by Celia.D

Celia.D's avatar
    Celia.D

Bois d'Orange by Roger & Gallet

I discovered this in a hotel room when I used the body lotion and kept getting a waft of something lovely. It dries down really well and has a beautiful warm sophisticated citrusy smell . There is something else there which I'm guessing must be the pallassander wood. I have layered this with Bois des Iles and they go very well together. A lovely lovely fragrance.

26 September, 2012

Bois des Îles by Chanel

I don't get the resemblance to No 5. To me this is a far superior fragrance that oozes warmth and creaminess especially in the dry down. It is an understated masterpiece that has an almost mystical ability to transport me to another place. I cannot pick out any particular notes, they all seem so perfectly blended. I cannot rate this perfume highly enough, a truly beautiful fragrance.

06 August, 2012

Chance Eau Tendre by Chanel

Where this succeeds with me is it's longevity and sillage. Yes it goes on quite hairsprayey but its base notes are lovely and enduring on me. It is one of those perfumes that you get a lovely occassional waft of after several hours . This is a great choice for the office and IMHO a really good floral.

05 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 06 August, 2012)

Jersey by Chanel

I tried this yesterday as did my 17 year old daughter - I enjoyed the top notes especially the lavender but I did not enjoy the dry down. I think lavender does not sit well with many other ingredients and certainly not with whatever it is mixed with here! The jersey I thought of was jersey cream - sweet and cloying and slightly on the turn - not nice . Obviously my daughter loved it - I suspect this is Chanels attempt at capturing a younger market -

30th December, 2011

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

This reminds me of a buttery rich tarte tatin with a wonderful glass of Sauterne - delicious and indulgent and to be enjoyed sparingly. The sweetness is more interesting and sophisticated than many of the sweet gourmand fragrances that are so prevalent at the moment - A linear fragrance- I sprayed this on my wrist in the morning and it lasted long into the evening not changing much throughout - I can imagine that this could turn into a comfort scent - the fragrance equivalent of comfort eating- I liked this a lot but would only wear this very occasionally if I owned a bottle as it seems so indulgent and there are so many more on the list . . .

30th December, 2011

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is another L'Artisan that has grown on me. I have a lot of samples from their range and never seem to like them on first try, Voleur de Rose was no exception. When I first smelt it I thought it cold, flat and hard. The second try I thought I may grow to like it. The try i was in love and now have a bottle ...

The rose is an earthy rose just after a heavy shower, a beautiful dark red bloom that will soon fade. What I first perceived as cold, I now consider melancholy, it is the melancholy of fragile beauty, The enduring earthiness of the patchouli is a perfect counterbalance to the transient beauty that is a rose in bloom.

This is a bitter-sweet,wistful fragrance that I consider to be one of L'Artisan's finest creations.

01st November, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2011)

Tahitian Holiday by Avon

Coconut is the over whelming scent, which is fine for getting me in the mood for a tropical beach holiday; but i can't imagine wearing it at any other time. There is no complexity here and it is a very linear scent but as smileica says - it can get a bit boring after a while.ood silage.

14 September, 2008

Love in Black by Creed

I was given a sample of this at Selfridges several days ago.The first day I wore it, I was not overly impressed but i persevered as I know from experience that one try is sometimes not enough to know whether I like a fragrance or not and yes I'm glad I stuck with it as I am beginning to really like LiB now. The very first top note that hits you ( and yes it does HIT you) is violet - the smell is very reminiscent of parma violet sweets or devon violets perfume . Thankfully on me at least that pure violet note doesn't stick around as it is soon joined by a far earthier tar note, I'm guessing this is the 'black' from Love in Black's title. After about ten minutes a beautiful deep rose joins in and underscores the tar.The rose reminds me of the rose in L'artisans voleur de roses, though LiB is a much warmer fragrance than VdR. The violet assumes its proper place and behaves, as i believe a ( shrinking) violet should, i.e. just poking its head out to say hello now and again but generally blending in well with the tar and rose. I find LiB to ber an interesting and edgy ( well at least by Creeds standards) perfume. Recommended. I shall certainly be adding this to my wish list, it's a long list but who knows ...

10th September, 2008

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a lovely fragrance - like an evergreen wood next to the sea. The sillage is not great but that is not a big problem to me, so long as I can still smell it then I'm happy. A good fragrance to wear on a warm day.

05 September, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 June, 2011)

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

I don't find this a boring scent,to my mind it is a safe scent which is something different. I beleve it has it's place 'in the circle of life' . This is a straight forward, fresh, clean floral. It is not something that i would generally wear , but think it would be an ideal scent for an interview, visiting the in laws or just generally going somewhere where you dont want to scare the horses so to speak. In short, I like it.

La Chasse Aux Papillons Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

As a child my friends and I would make perfume; either from rose petals or from butterfly bushes ( aka buddleia). I must admit that L'artisan's is a richer more professional take on the butterfly bush than my own childish offerings, but the fragrance is still pretty much as liear as mine was!! All I got from when I tried L'artisans frag was buddleia bush all the way;. top middle and base- buddleia. I daresay that it is probably just the way it wears on me, the jasmine and pink pepper make it sound a lot more interesting, however, I have no desire to smell like a butterfly bush so don't think I'll be purchasing this any time soon.

Max Mara by Max Mara

This dries done to a very nice kind of sweet magnolia on me. I feel sophisticated yet warm and approachable when i wear this. This is a perfect summer fragrance. I must agree with Parisa, definitely not one for the 'mom run'.

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

This is a lovely very wearable fragrance. Yes it is sweet but not in that awful cloying vanillary way that so many modern fragrances are. The dry down produces the gentle sweetness of strawberries tempered by a lovely subtle patchouli. IMHO this is a very classy scent.

Aromatonic by Lancôme

This is a wonderful, uplifting, fresh, summery fragrance; it has the ability to lift my mood. It is the total opposite of the musky/patch kind of frag that i generally find myself drawn to; so when I feel like running naked through fields of green (metaphorically of course!) this is the one I choose.I''ve not seen it around for a while and am beginning to worry that it has been discontinued. I agree with themeglet that this perfume has to be used young as it does smell pretty bad if left to mature.

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I tried a sample of this last year and really really liked it - I got the peanut butter and baking bread notes from it and found it a comforting yet unusual fragrance. I am now the owner of a whole bottle and it smells different to how I remember it. The sandalwood is now the predominant smell and it smells more like a masculine fragrance than it did before. I don't know what has happened. Has my chemistry changed, has my nose changed or has the perfume changed? Whatever has happened it is still a lovely fragrance and I'm sure I will finish the bottle but I can't help but be a little disappointed that it is not quite the fab fragrance I thought it to be.

Wrappings by Clinique

This has to be my favorite perfume . . . I was having to source it off e bay ( and then only the body lotion) .Then one happy day, last month, when i was browsing through the perfumes at duty free in Bristol airport I saw it - it had returned smelling as beautiful, warm and bewitching as ever. I bought two bottles of it and have instructed my daughter to buy me another when she is there next week as I suspect this is probably a limited run on it. All my favourite notes are there, carnation, musk and patchouli. The sillage is excellent; a little goes a long way.

No. 5 by Chanel

My mother had this perfume and i used to try it as a child. After five minutes it had disappeared without a trace. I have perservered and sampled this on numerous occassions in an attempt to understand what all the hype is about. I have never been able to get past the top notes ( which are frankly uninspiring) due to the short longevity of this scent on my skin.I do wonder if it is a case of the 'emporors new clothes' .