Reviews by JonB

JonB's avatar
    JonB

Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet

Quite nice. I find it a bit smoother and a little more aromatic than 4711. For most of it's life, I smell neroli and rosemary. I never really get rose. As nice as this smells though, it's hard to get too excited due to it's short longevity. I know this is expected, but any nice smell deserves to last more than an hour. Try this before 4711.

09th April, 2011

Eau du Coq by Guerlain

Nice citrus topnotes, but sorry, too floral and feminine in the heart notes. I don't feel comfortable enough to wear this in public, so I've got to give it a thumbs down.

08th April, 2011

Derby by Guerlain

Derby gets a thumbs up rating from me, but I won't swoon over this one. It definitely smells like a different era. The opening is quite loud, and I find projection to be moderately high. Derby is too formal for me to enjoy; I just don't have the occasion to wear this stuff. The leather is very much under the radar, and really only modifies the patchouli base. I will use up the bottle I have, but I won't replace it once it's gone. I almost want to say "meh". It just doesn't capture my imagination.

05th March, 2011

Costume National Homme by Costume National

In reading the other reviews of this fragrance, I see reference to many different spices. I can't believe no one has mentioned tobacco, because that's what Costume National Homme smells like to me. Spicy tobacco yes, but mainly tobacco. There is also a definite cedar aroma. It's like opening a cedar-lined cigar box.

It's difficult to understand why someone would dislike this, but that is the nature of fragrance. I find CN Homme to be very likeable, moderately strong, with very good longevity.

This is one of my better finds of 2010.

18th February, 2011

Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Sartorial would be very difficult to describe in words; you will need to sample it for yourself. This is a non-standard fragrance that will probably garner plenty of negatives, but I love it.

14th February, 2011

Acqua Classica by Borsari

I find Acqua Classica to be a fairly long lasting, somewhat earthy, musty lemon scent. Pretty simple, with little progression. I don't think Acqua di Parma has anything to worry about. It's inexpensive though, so it may be worth a try. For me it's too musty smelling to enjoy.

06th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st April, 2011)

Aventus by Creed

I apparently have a slightly different experience with Aventus than the other reviewers. I do smell pineapple on top, but that note for me transitions quickly to fir resin. It smells just like my hands do after bringing home the Christmas tree and setting it up. This fir smell slowly fades over time to an ambergris base. So for me, Aventus is fir sap transitioning to ambergris. Definitely masculine, and a very nice smell throughout.

Aventus wears fairly close to the skin. I find the longevity to be very good; it will certainly get me through a work day.

This and OV are the only two Creeds that I like enough to buy. Whether Aventus is worth the outrageous price is up to you.

30th January, 2011

Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

Unlike some of the other reviewers, I smell a somewhat simple fragrance. I smell honey with spices and herbs. Very, very likeable Oriental. Just the right strength, with very good longevity.

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Polo-lite plus Mediterranean herbs. Smells great for a few hours, and then its gone.

Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

A slightly smoother Pino Silvestre with a light leather note added. Quite pleasant. If you like Pino, and you also like leather (which is quite light in this fragrance), you will probably like this one. I can't imagine too many young guys liking this one though. I expect it will be more attractive to 40+.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma

You might ask whether Acqua di Parma needs to add another Colonia to their line up, but after smelling Essenza my opinion is that yes, this fragrance is an extremely nice addition. So what's different about this one? Essenza's citrus top is slightly different, having noticeable grapefruit notes. This is a perfect top to the heart of lily of the valley and jasmine. The combination of grapefruit, lily of the valley and jasmine works extremely well. The top and heart of this fragrance meld so well into one another that it's almost a misnomer to call citrus the topnotes, and florals the heart; jasmine and lily of the valley are evident right from the start, and citrus lasts well into drydown. As well, the muguet and jasmine domination of the florals gives a character substantially different than Colonia or Assoluta which have rose and neroli as the featured floral notes. What is also noticeable is that Essenza is balanced a bit more towards the florals than Colonia or Assoluta. You may also notice that Essenza is just a little smoother overall than it's predecessors. The perfumer has done a good job with the musk in Essenza ; I don't get any of the harsh feeling late in drydown as I often get with white musks.

The white-flower feel of this eau de cologne puts it firmly into unisex territory. Colonia and Assoluta feel more skewed towards masculine in my opinion.

Longevity seems very good. I smell musk and muguet for 8-10 hours. Even the citrus seems to last for several hours. Projection may be a little higher than Colonia or Assoluta due to the higher use of florals.

16th January, 2011 (Last Edited: 27th February, 2011)

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

As Odysseusm said, this is not the woodiest log in the pile. In fact, any wood note in Woods has got to be synthetic; my nose doesn't detect any real wood. Although people mention citrus, I don't smell any significant real citrus. It's possible that any citrus smell is totally synthetic too. What my nose smells is a somewhat fresh scent apparently composed almost totally of synthetic components. Woods is also soapy, but the soapiness is not the more common floral-based soap, it too seems synthetic. My verdict on Woods is: Meh This is an OK fragrance, but certainly nothing to rave about. That it seems composed entirely of synthetic aromachemicals is fine with me, but may not be satisfactory to some. Woods is fairly strong, projects well, and is moderately long lasting. Test before buying.

30th October, 2010

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Musk Ravageur is more about vanilla, and cinnamon or cocoa than it is about musk. Musk is barely detectable in the blend. This should be advertised as a gourmand rather than musk. I find MR to be ultimately boring.

20th October, 2010

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

I smell geranium (much more than rose), Oud, Sandalwood. Is there anything else in 88? It doesn't matter much because this comes across as quite nice. Thumbs up, but it won't be liked by everyone because of the Oud (or oud-like) note.

17th October, 2010

No. 89 by Floris

Nice citrus on top that actually lasts quite a while on me. Once dried down, it's a nice soapy masculine rose. The rose it not so prominent that men should be deterred. More of a nice clean everyday scent. 89 seems quite versatile. Longevity is quite good. Sillage is moderate. Definite thumbs up.

18th September, 2010

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

I must not be smelling the same thing as many of you; all I can say is "YUCK". This is right up there with the worst fragrance s I've ever smelled. I hope I never have to smell this again. Big, big thumbs down on LP.no9.

28th July, 2010

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

A big blast of lemon and grapefruit. Very nice; I like it a lot. Some think citrus-based frags are too simple, and yes they are simple, but what is more refreshing on a summer day. Big thumbs up.

26th July, 2010

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Totally forgettable. Very disappointing for something like this to come from Lutens. I am sure there will be fans, but for the life of me, I find no personality here.

27th June, 2010

03 Century by Odin New York

The drydown of Century is almost identical to Gucci pour homme I. The top though is very nice, and in total, this is more complex and interesting than GPH1. Whether that makes it worth 2X the price of the Gucci is up to you.

03rd May, 2010

02 Owari by Odin New York

This seems mighty simple to me; it smells like tangerine peel. I really don't smell anything else. Thumbs up, but it could use more complexity.

30th April, 2010

01 Nomad by Odin New York

Nice. I like it. Nomad wont be anyone's holy Grail, but it should have wide appeal.

30th April, 2010

Rose 31 by Le Labo

There's rose in here? Don't buy this expecting to find much rose. It's actually one of the strongest cedar scents I've tried. Cedar is about the only note I find for most of the life of this fragrance. Awfully expensive cedar. To each his own, but it's not for me.

17th April, 2010

Racquets Formula by Penhaligon's

Just read Kaern's review for a good description of Racquets. This is refreshing, and it just makes me feel good. I am definitely getting a bottle of this. A big thumbs up.

17th April, 2010

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Hmm, I certainly don't understand any comment that this might be harsh; I guess if you are extremely sensitive to citrus, it might be a tiny bit strong for the first 30 seconds. This is the Armani version of a traditional eau de cologne. You have the citrus top, along with some herbs. The smell is very nice, but once the top notes burn off, there is nothing left. I know the pyramid says there is sandalwood and oakmoss in the base, but it's so, so light that it is barely there.

On my skin, this is down to a very light skin scent in about 30 minutes. On fabric it might last about an hour. Very nice, but far too ephemeral. Another plus though is that it is very affordable. If Armani could bring up the base just enough to make it truly detectable for several hours without burying nose to skin, this could be a holy grail type of scent.

04th April, 2010

Bogart by Jacques Bogart

This just a very nice composition that holds up well 30 years later. This wont be anyone's holy grail, but it's nice for almost any occasion; very versatile. Be a little careful with the application though. Definite thumbs up. What a bargain too.

02nd April, 2010

Notre Flore Cedre by L'Occitane

Probably not what you would expect. Very simple. Fairly sweet. Actually comes off more feminine than masculine. Needs a bit more complexity and a top. Needs some brightness IMO.

17th January, 2010

Eau des 4 Voleurs by L'Occitane

Citrus, herbs, pine. Very nice. Appropriately masculine I think. 4 Voleurs is quite dry. This smells like sort of a combination of Blenheim Bouquet and Pino Silvestre. The price is right. The only thing a bit disappointing is the longevity; at least on me. Definitely bottle-worthy.

16th January, 2010

Notre Flore Cedre / Cedar by L'Occitane

Soft, sweet, simple. A bit boring if you ask me. Cedar is not in the forefront here in reality. Though designated as unisex, this is more appropriate for women in my opinion. Cedre needs a bit more of an edge to appeal more to men. My overall reaction is "blah".

10th January, 2010

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Eau des Baux does smell nice enough, but I also feel that it's a bit too simple and is not complete. It does give me an impression of being a bit light weight just as Diamondflame mentioned. Like the other L'occitane fragrances I've tried, it looses most of it's oomph quite quickly. I can barely smell this after an hour or two. Bottle worthy? I guess so since it's pretty inexpensive but I have many other fragrances that I would choose to wear more often.

10th January, 2010

R de Capucci by Roberto Capucci

It's funny how everyone's senses differ. I don't really get any of the connections to Antaeus or Aramis. I will throw a different one out there: I think this is more like Derby than those other two. I also don't really get the sense of "dry" here either. To me this is a moderately sweet leather scent, though the leather is not "in your face" like a Knize Ten. I like R, but it is a bit formal. Perhaps borderline for a daytime scent due to it's projection. It's not as strong as the typical powerhouse scent, but it's still fairly strong. Longevity is very good. Thumbs up.

07th November, 2009