Reviews by Gimpee

Gimpee's avatar
    Gimpee

Secret Obsession by Calvin Klein

The flowers on top of the dry woods are very warm and enveloping. The vanilla softens the scent and it doesn't become overpowered with the various flowers. The top note of plum is a nice touch as well. i was pleasantly surprised by this frag, I tend to avoid Calvin Klein, especially Obsession, but this new version is quite excellent - smoky, woody, almost spicy - not flowery or fruity.

16 September, 2008

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

This is probably a crossover/unisex scent. Its not masculine.. to me the strongest notes when this settles are the fruit, rose, and patchouli. It doesn't strike me as a particularly unique or stand out frag. A bit reserved and mixes into a fruity spicy cloud that is quite strong and hangs around.
    Its not for me. But one of the girls in the office was taken by it and said she would probably go out and buy it for herself, and another female colleague also thought it could be a feminine fragrance.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Having read the other reviews and the notes in this fragrance, I am confused..... I just got a completely citrussy smell from this - tangerine dream... And it didnt settle into anything else, just very pungent tangerine peel. Not my cup of tea.... or piece of fruit. Maybe I got a dodgy tester?

Alien by Thierry Mugler

After the first overpowering whiff of sharp jasmine this settles into what really struck me as a slight licorice scent (I love licorice). Its probably the jasmine softening and mixing with the amber. It settles nicely, but the jasmine is probably a bit too much for me (and my wife). But still pleasantly surprised by this frag. which is very strong and will hang around you for a long time.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Beautiful deep woody and musky smell - slight hint of fresh/citrus - its very strong/heavy, plenty of sillage. It does get a massive thumbs up from me due to the excellent use of Agarwood and Musk. It would be very difficult to carry off during the day, but I would wear it very lightly.

11th September, 2008

Sandalwood (original) by Crabtree & Evelyn

A big clean and fresh woody smell. Ideal for layering or on its own for a unique understated smell. Decent longevity, but not to overpowering. The drydown remained quite fresh and sharp, with the sandalwood in the back as an everpresent. It is a classic gentlemans frag.

11th September, 2008

Ma Dame by Jean Paul Gaultier

I tried this for my wife - in my opinion not as good as Fragile, but still a nice fragrance. The citrus smell stuck around for a while, smelt like really fresh tangerine. The rose is there in the background and provides most of the sillage. Its a modern fragrance with a fresh smell on a warm background and continues to raise JPGs esteem in the fragrance market.

09 September, 2008

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Unique smell - reminds me of some of the bitter Arabic attars. Its a very dry fragrance and the pepper is prominent. It is a very masculine smell and probably an acquired taste.

09 September, 2008

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

As soon as I smelt this I had to buy it for my wife its a a great dark smell with a lot of depth - It does remind me immediately of Narcisso Rodriguez (which I had got my wife previously). The musky background lingers around for hours....

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

This is a beautiful fragrance - dark and fruity - its good for mixing with non complex - I like it with Armand Basi Hiomme and with Taylor's of Bond St Sandalwood Cologne. The dry down is nice on this and it lingers in the background.

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

This to me is the standard of men's classic colognes - opening bergamot and slight rose and sandalwood in the background is enchanting. This really clings to you throughout the day - it is my favourite of all the Czech and Speake fragrances. Its not too complex and brings together a few classic smells - you dont get any chemical interference in the bouquet, as there isnt any, which is the way fragrances should be.

Armand Basi Homme by Armand Basi

I love this fragrance - since I first picked it up at an airport in 2000. The Cardamon is brilliant and its a lovely fresh smell that stays with you for many hours. I like to mix it with a bit of Jo Malones Pomegranate Noir. I made the mistake of getting In Red - awful; stuff. I went back to this one again very recently - unfortunately only limited availability in the UK.