Reviews

Reviews by ThrowingShade

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Can a scent be a bit too complex? This was a synthetic musky nightmare on me, which is rare because I am not a musky smelling person. It dried down into a wet ashtray smell, yuk! I actually took a shower to rid myself of this mess. It gets worse. I gave it to my little brother. He gives it back to me a few weeks later because he doesn't like it. I then give it to a friend visiting from out of town. A month later he sends it back in the mail! I finally gave it to my Dad, who so far says he hasn't tried it yet. So stay tuned.

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Wow, really unique smelling fragrance. I was in Nordstroms when a friend recommended this to me. First off, I love the double bottle design held together with magnets. How interesting. And then I spritzed it on me. It was an instant must have, which is rare for me. I usually walk around for a half hour or so to get acquainted with a scent. This always get a compliment or a question whenever I wear it, which I love. A definite staple.

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

I had given this to a friend a few years back for a birthday. Flash forward to a month ago. I am helping him move and I find this still in the box unopened under his sink. I took it home that afternoon. Boy is this a fantastic scent. Extremely masculine and earthy, something you'll never forget. The coffee, patchouli and musk work together very well. Although I did spritz this on a friend who is very musky naturally and after awhile he did not smell good at all. I see this is out of production and rare now, I'll treasure every spray.

Fresco for Men by Ilum Dean

I like this! It starts off as a very citrusy scent with some pepper dashed in there. And then it drys down into a crisp musky smell. Not too overpowering like most musky scents are on me. And it lasts and lasts on me also, which I love. Give it a try, it's a very interesting cologne.
17th September, 2012

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

I really love this scent. It is crisp and clean, without smelling too soapy clean. I always get compliments on this whenever I wear it. HOWEVER, it has horrible staying power. It lasts 2-3 hours tops, and this is even after 6-8 liberal sprays. What I do is right after the morning shower, I towel dry and use a non fragrance lotion. I let that dry and then I spray. This really helps with fragrances that are weak.
17th September, 2012

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

This is such a great scent for me, after all these years. Now that I'm older it seems to last much longer than when I was younger. Love it!
24th January, 2012

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

Extremely run of the mill here, a major letdown considering how much I love Ambre. it smells like a few dozen other colognes out there, including drugstore varieties. I gave this to my Brother...
13th July, 2009

Unforgivable by Sean John

This really does smell good. Nicely balanced with a wonderful drydown. HOWEVER, the similarities to this and Creed Millesime Imperial are too strong to ignore. A blatant ripoff in my opinion. Therefore, I give it a neutral rating..
13th July, 2009

Eternity Summer for Men 2009 by Calvin Klein

Probably the best 'Summer' edition of Mens' Eternity yet. Very citrus smelling when first sprayed, and after a bit it smells a little peppery and woodsy. Very nice. I love it.
29th June, 2009

Beckham Signature for Him by Beckham

Nothing really stands out with the scent. Nice but very run of the mill.
21st June, 2009 (last edited: 29th June, 2009)

Séxual Fresh pour Homme by Michel Germain

This is VERY STRONG. I was hoping the drydown would change my mind about this one but alas, it didn't. It has sat on my countertop for months now, I might give it to my little brother. Hey, at least the bottle is sexy...

Essential by Lacoste

I really love this. It is perfect for the summertime, it makes me want to go out and enjoy the day. I think this is very woodsy and crisp on me. It lasts quite awhile on me and I enjoy it immensely.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Amazing stuff here.. So complex and captivating it stays intriguing from the first spritz until you go to bed. I have actually gone through 2 bottles of this in the past year.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Wow! This stuff starts off VERY strong and somewhat overpowering. After it mellows a bit it is extremely nice. The perfect companion for a night on the town. After an hour or so it smells very sweet and you will get compliments. I wouldn't recommend this on a humid day though, as it evaporates quickly. It does smell kind of synthetic to me as well so, I don't wear it as often as I would like.
09th June, 2009

Samba for Men by Perfumer's Workshop

I remember when this first came out. It was very popular and then kind of fell off the radar. It was expensive then, not so much now. It still smells amazing and still has a great place in my wardrobe. It used to remind me of Liz Claiborne and still does somewhat. Go figure.
09th June, 2009

Kapsule Light by Lagerfeld

I like this but, not as much as the other two. It does seem like something akin to a fresh shower gel. But lets remember that this series is meant to be layered. Therefore don't be to critical of each scent. Each one plays upon the other. This is a fun and different alternative to the usual scents out there. Give it a try.

Kapsule Floriental by Lagerfeld

Out of the three Kapsule scents this is by far my favorite. The idea behind these is that you layer them and mix and match. It makes a difference as to how you layer them too, as it does smell different when you switch them around. I give this scent in particular a thumbs up as it is very basic but can stand on its own. HOWEVER, as a man you need to be comfortable wearing this solo, as the drydown it tends to smell extremely feminine. Layer it with Woody say and, now you are talking. Marvelous.

Kapsule Woody by Lagerfeld

This is the more masculine of the three, crisp and refreshing and, I really like this one alone too. Try this combo: Floriental as a start and then Woody following. After 3-4 minutes I spritz just a TOUCH of Light and then a touch of Floriental again. Something about that combo really works for me, and I have gotten wonderful comments about it. Besides, this is such a fun way to play with your fragrances. I mean, who hasn't layered some of their favorites in the past? Very cool and I recommend this set highly.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Love it love it love it! I tried this out as a recommendation from the sales lady and I must say I was impressed. I love it when I wear this, it is so perfect for a night out dining and dancing. It has amazing staying power on me. Of course this is one of my personal favorites.

Background by Jil Sander

I remember this when it came out. I loved it then and I love it now. Why do all the good scents get cancelled? This is really amazing all over again for me. It must be the years in between. Crisp and yet musky, its very complex and intriguing. I was lucky enough to score 3 large tester bottles of this from a friend. Bad for him, good for me!

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

Wow! Smells great! When you first spritz it on that is. It then turns into an extremely peppery and synthetic mess and has absolutey no staying power AT ALL. Weak weak weak! I had to spray numerous times throughout the day just to maintain. I gave this to my little brother..

Pi Neo by Givenchy

I pair this with Sean Jean's I Am King and the resulting scent is incredible! In just one week of doing this I have had 6-7 people asking me about the cologne I was wearing. As far as wearing it by itself, it is very middle of the pack. Not bad by any means but, just nothing special that makes you recognize it. A nice drydown though. I tend to think this is more of a summer scent

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Nothing special here. With so many colognes out there today (and more every year) is it getting harder for some houses to deliver a special scent? I was hoping for something to grab me with this scent but alas, this is not the case. Most like it, as do I. But, I tend to pass this over when I go for my daily spritz. Will you?

Porsche Design Essence by Porsche

I like this scent. I have a very finicky and sensitive nose and tend to be very discriminate. I see alot of negative reviews for this scent. I disagree. This is a very sophisticated cologne. It DOES smell like many other forgettable ones out there lately.
BUT.. After spraying this on and walking around the mall for a bit, it really grew on me. VERY masculine indeed.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Probably one of the most unique and interesting colognes to come out in a few years. I spray it on and it immediately makes ME WANT to keep smelling it. Very sweet at first, and then a little peppery thereafter. Later on the drydown is very leathery and masculine. I LOVE IT. One thing though, if you are in a humid climate as I am, you need to layer and moisturize before you wear this. Otherwise it just breaks down and loses its character very fast. I like this immensely.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

A classic. I remember when this first came out and you could not find it anywhere for months. My rommie at the time worked in retail and was able to get a few bottles. One night I had a little too much to drink and decided I wanted to spray the ENTIRE bottle on me! Needless to say it took over a week to finally scrub the last of that bottle off! The moral here? I will always love this cologne, it has a smell that can never be replicated. Intense and subdued, laid back but ready.. Love that!

I am King by Sean John

I must say that when I tried this out I couldn't stand it on me AT ALL. And then it changed dramatically on me. It has me flummoxed. It sort of smells like Gucci Homme II and Gaultier Le Male. Somewhere between the two. I got several compliments on it as well so I did buy it. After an hour or so it smells even better on me so I am hooked now.

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Very strong opening, and the drydown is just okay. A big yawnfest from all my friends so I pass on this.

Baldessarini Ambré by Baldessarini

This smells VERY good on me, it is the perfect for a night of dinner and socializing. Not so good on a hot humid day though, it does not last when you sweat a bit. A must for any guy.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

This cologne sets a standard. Sean Jean's Unforgivable is a direct ripoff of this scent. So are a few others that fail to come to mind at the moment. It wears wonderfully on me, and whenever I wear it people who know Creed compliment on it. Very pricey but you get what you pay for, believe me!