Reviews by ThrowingShade

Uomo by Valentino

I get the references to DHI but, this is totally different. It is much more subdued. Upon first spray, I get a very earthy fruit smell. 15-20 minutes later you definitely smell the coffee/chocolate notes, and the hazelnut cuts the harshness of the coffee. An hour or so and the leather and sandalwood give is an amazing earthiness. I get great village and projection, and it lasts 6-7 hours. This really pulls people into your space, wanting to smell you ask what you're wearing, etc. A winner in my book.
04th May, 2016

Chrome Legend by Azzaro

I thought I would like this because of the note list, but I do not. It is very synthetic on the first spray. And for me, this doesn't fade. Silage and longevity were also very poor, I had to reapply twice in an eight hour period. Extremely disappointing.
28th April, 2016

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

What else can be said about this masculine classic? I remember this being all the rage when I was a young teenager, it was expensive and hard to find. I haven't touched it since I was 15. So imagine my utter surprise when my Mom gives me a bottle, direct from my Grandfathers' 30+ year old stash. Intrigued, I purchased a new bottle, and then a vintage bottle from 1994. Of course they all smell very different. Is this from age, formulation, different batches? Whatever the case, the vintage is extremely powerful, and lasts forever. The 1994 smells the best to me, a bit more citrusy/pine notes in this one make it special. The newer bottle is good, but severely lacking in longevity and staying power. You can see the bottle quality has changed too, as the oldest bottle is far more substantial and the nozzle feels much more solid.
12th April, 2016

B9 by Bond No. 9

Wow! It's very rare for me to adore a base noted musk type scent, but this has me entranced. First spray I get a very earthy blast of citrus. It then develops a slight flowery green aroma, and the earthy citrus is more subdued. During this time, the musky notes kick in, but in the most excellent ways. Not too overpoweringly musky, the top and mid notes keep it all in check. Fascinating juice. It's very strong, 2-3 sprays is all you need for the entire day. This is definitely a mans fragrance, although I do see it appealing to some females. Many compliments and questions let me know this is something to wear a lot.
02nd April, 2016

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Ugh, this WAS on my wish list. A friend gave me a 10ml atomizer of it to sample. Extremely synthetic throughout, and smells like a urinal cake when first sprayed. Floral yet very medicinal like. Harsh. Eventually dries down into this floral/citrusy mess on me, with no real direction. I think the patchouli has no business in there, to my nose this is what really kills it. I've given it all day wear 3-4 days in a few weeks time and just can't stand it.
01st January, 2016

Halloween Man by J del Pozo

Blind bought this at TJ Maxx for $12.99, I sure am happy. First spray I smell apple/violet/cinnamon, and it is good. 15-20 minutes later and I smell the ginger emerging, with some hints of leather and musk. The cinnamon is there for the entire ride, which I like. It keeps the violet/amber/vanilla in check. An hour or so after applying, I was worried these notes would dominate and become cloying, but they never did. It surprises me that more people don't know about this fragrance, it is quality personified. Longevity is amazing at 7+ hours and counting. Sillage is good and the price I paid makes it all the more fantastic.
31st December, 2015

Samouraï by Alain Delon

Stunning. This smells awesome on me, and every time I wear it I get compliments. Very well done, although I don't get vanilla at any phase. What I do get from start to finish is an amazing creamy fruity, musk smell that lasts for 6-8 hours +. Every so often I get a whiff of it. I'm guessing its the vanilla in there smoothing the other notes out. This is sensational juice, and a rare find for me. Anything that is the slightest bit musky smells horrid on me. Also, this is something that can be worn in every season. So, this was well worth a blind buy for me.
07th December, 2015

Legend Special Edition 2012 by Montblanc

Wow. So much better than the original Legend. Much more subdued. Yet still strong and sophisticated. First spray I get the ginger and spearmint. Not too heavy, nice. 15-20 minutes and it becomes a bit earthy, I smell lavender and floral notes mingling nicely. An hour or so and it gets much more grounded, I smell sandalwood and amber smoothing it all out. This has very good longevity (6-7 hours) and gets compliments and questions. I honestly feel that this is what the original MBL should have been, as this is much more refined and leaves nothing important out. Excellent juice.
24th November, 2015

Eau Fresh by Jacques Bogart

For my chemistry, this takes far too long to mature. I really believe this was formulated for musky type men, which I am not. Smells better in humid climes too, I think. First spray is an overly synthetic lemon and pine smell, almost like floor cleaner. 20-30 minutes later it gets a warm woody undertone that I like. Alas an hour and thereafter, it turns back into the pine smell. To my nose, it shuts mostly every promising aspect out that I was hoping for. I was able to obtain different bottles and sizes to compare as well. At the 3-4 hours mark, it settles nicely and I FINALLY get the green/woody/clean smells that I wanted hours before. All over the board for me with this scent, and not in a good way. Disappointed and lesson learned.
31st October, 2015

Sauvage by Christian Dior

I was able to score a few samples of this to test and evaluate before I bought it. I really really like this, although I do understand all the negative reviews. This is a very strong masculine scent and as such, extremely polarizing. You either love it or you don't, period. First spray is a very strong soapy clean smell. I love the patchouli and geranium in this initial spray, and the pepper gives it some depth. 20-30 minutes or so and I smell the lavender and bergamot smoothing things out. An hour or so later I smell the vetiver and patchouli more, and it is amazing. This lasts all day with just 3-4 sprays and people notice it. I agree with a previous review. I think this scent has some balls, and is far ahead of its' time. Way to go Christian Dior, glad to see you setting standards. This will be copied and cloned in the coming years.
15th October, 2015

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

This is an extremely interesting scent, best for Spring/Summer use. First spray I get a very distinct fruity aqua smell, with an underlying whiff of pencil shavings. 20 minutes or so a very salty marine note dominates. I get excellent projection and it will last 5-6 hours with 7-8 liberal sprays in the key areas. It gets compliments and questions, which is a sign this is good juice for me to use. This isn't a scent for everyone though, as I gave my Dad a few sprays and it was very synthetic and metallic smelling. So this one is very dependent on your chemistry.
11th October, 2015

cK one Shock for Him by Calvin Klein

So I'm "One" that has never liked the smell of CK One. Seeing the reviews of this and also at a good price made me take a leap. I smell just a touch of A*Men Pure Coffee in this for a few minutes, which is excellent. Then it goes into a more floral chocolate with a touch of vanilla, which is very deep in there to my nose. This smells very good and projects well for about 5-6 hours for me. However, wore this out and sweated a bit dancing, this was enough to make the smell evaporate completely. So not a good scent for humid climes or summer. More an Autumn/Winter scent. I paid well under $25. for a 200ml bottle, which I think is a good deal for this surprisingly well made fragrance. With Winter fast approaching, this is going into my weekly rotation.
10th October, 2015

Nobile by Gucci

Wow! I went to an estate sale and found the mother lode of mens' fragrances! It was clear that no one knew what they were dealing with, because I got two gift sets of Nobile, unopened for pennies. Both 120ml, one has a deodorant stick and a miniature splash. The other has a 200ml body wash/shampoo tube and a keychain. So this is everything that past reviews say and then some. It's fun to go out wearing this and knowing that no one else is going to smell like you. And yet the compliments and questions flow like water. You can't mess with a classic.
29th September, 2015

Adventure Quasar by J del Pozo

Very underrated. This is some excellent juice! It's very complex, and hard for me to lock down all that is going on when first sprayed. 20-30 minutes and I do smell a very woodsy/soap scent, and this lasts quite awhile on me. Compliments flow with this as well. Jesus del Pozo has discontinued this, and also the original Quasar. Hurry up and grab them at decent prices while you still can. 5-7 years from now they'll be going for three times what you'll pay today.
22nd September, 2015

New West for Him by Aramis

A blast from the past, literally. I worked in mens cologne in May Company, 1990-1992 in Glendale, California and remember this scent fondly. I had several samples and testers of this. In fact, I remember giving a lot of it away I had so much. So it sure is wild to see it going for $150. or more for vintage bottles on eBay. I've since dragged out my old collection in storage and found it, amongst many others. Smells just as I remember. I don't know what the new formulations smell like, but if they are anything like the old, I will give it a try.
18th September, 2015

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

Very citrus and spicy on first spray. 10-20 minutes later I smell the citrus deepening very nicely and the pepper/lavender kicks in. An hour or so later and I smell the woods and vanilla smoothing it all out. Not too strong throughout, it projects well and gets compliments. Extremely well constructed, and one of the better citrus/clean mens fragrances born from the 1990's. Better longevity would be nice, I get 4-5 hours tops. I like it immensely and at the price it's an excellent value.
08th September, 2015

Quasar by J del Pozo

I felt compelled to update my review. This is possibly the best aquatic mens fragrance, ever. I now get the banana peel immediately, and the top fruity/aquatic notes never go away. 20-30 minutes or so and it deepens, with lavender smoothing it out and rosemary giving it sharpness. An hour or so and the base notes are there, giving it the most amazing woody depth. I have many bottles, and vintage is probably the best. Many compliments on this one, from men and women alike. All about layering with this one. I wash with a non fragrant body wash, pat that dry and then use a non fragrant lotion. I spray in all the key areas, 4-5 sprays. Then about an hour later, I spray again, and it lasts until I take my morning shower the next day. Too bad it was discontinued, I've got a stockpile because of this. I've been watching the pricing on Quasar, and it is slowly creeping up. In 3-4 years you won't be able to touch a 125ml bottle under $80-100. US dollars. Grab this elixir of the gods at a good price while you still can. My absolute favorite mens fragrance.
30th August, 2015 (last edited: 09th January, 2016)

L.12.12 Jaune / Yellow by Lacoste

Whew! Extremely sweet and cloying upon first spray, made me run around a bit to help it fade. 15-20 minutes later, there are definite green notes that calm it way down and smooth it out considerably. An hour or so later it mellows into a sort of fruity/green scent that reminds me of sour apple candy. Longevity is not that good, I get 3-4 hours tops before a spritz is needed. I like it, but the opening is extreme and might not be for everyone.
30th August, 2015

Chrome Intense by Azzaro

I now realize the sharp metallic notes in the original Chrome are extremely toned down here, it takes everything from the original and gives it a lot of subtle power and projection. Much more so. First spray is a blast of fruit, I get the grapefruit and ginger immediately. Love the ozone in there. This gives it amazing projection and smells so clean, not too soapy. 15-20 minutes later it mellows a bit into a clean woodsy smell, with just the slightest tinge of metallic notes. It lasts all day long and sillage is awesome. 6 months in, I can say that I prefer this over original Chrome. In fact I burned through a 100ml bottle already. Thank goodness I found some 100ml testers on the cheap. Top five fragrance for me right now.
26th August, 2015 (last edited: 23rd January, 2016)

Euphoria Men Intense by Calvin Klein

This instantly reminded me of something I used to wear years ago, can't put my finger on it. Very spicy/fruity straight away. After 15-20 minutes it mellows into a nice leather smell. An hour or so later it gets kinda woodsy, albeit a little synthetic. I wouldn't wear this every day, but I really like it, it is well done.
26th August, 2015

Eternity for Men Aqua by Calvin Klein

So similar to dozens of aquatic scents. I do smell Original Eternity in there however. So I usually mix the two together and is smells very good on me.
26th August, 2015

Legend Intense by Montblanc

Wow. The apple really is prominent throughout. Woodsy aspects are tuned way down, to the point where I wanted more. 15-20 minutes later it mellows out substantially, and the fruit isn't so extreme. About an hour or so and the cardamom smoothes it all out. It lasts forever, and it gets compliments. A very extreme opening makes me pause, I think this is something I'll wear out in the clubs, not during intimate gatherings.
25th August, 2015

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

This smells so amazing on me, lasts forever and projects across the room at times. Not cloying at all, and I find myself smelling it every few minutes or so. Very fruity on first spray. After 15-20 minutes it then becomes very pepper/powdery and the fruity notes subdue more. About an hour later it dries down into a peppery/leather smell with the vetiver giving it a balance. Very masculine and well made, absolutely in my top ten favorites.
22nd August, 2015

Chrome by Azzaro

One of my most favorite morning/summer scents. Very soapy and clean smelling on me, and invigorating too. It lasts forever for me WHEN: I shower and use a non fragrant lotion, and then apply 4-6 liberal sprays in the key areas. This is not synthetic to me at all, and whenever I wear it, the compliments flow.
15th August, 2015

Boss Bottled Intense by Hugo Boss

I really tried to like this. It smells so fruity and wonderful when first sprayed. I get the geranium after 20-30 minutes or so. AND THEN... It settles into this really awful burnt metallic vanilla/cinnamon scent. Really a shame, this had all the makes of something special.
14th August, 2015

Fan di Fendi pour Homme Acqua by Fendi

Another 'aqua' flanker. Not a bad thing, as it smells very good. Very fruity and aquatic upon first sprays. It gets a bit peppery after 10-15 minutes, and then settles into a nice warm woodsy smell. 4-5 hours longevity with decent projection. Definitely a summer scent. The bad thing is, there are dozens of fragrances out there that smell almost exactly the same.
11th August, 2015

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

This is THE absolute must have Allure flanker. Insanely delicious smell, well worth the $$$. Always a compliment or a question when I wear it. First spray it smells crisp and citrusy, like a minty orange. 10-20 minutes later it deepens with some woodsy notes. An hour or so later I get a very slight powdery citrus smell, with the woodsy base still intact. Very deep and extremely well constructed. Lasts 6-7 hours with a few sprays in the key areas, and sillage is amazing. One of my top favorites at the moment, I've burned through a 100ml bottle and currently 75% through a 200ml bottle, in about a 6 month span. Spring for the 200ml bottle if you can.
09th August, 2015 (last edited: 07th April, 2016)

Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani

Wow! This is a phenomenal scent. 5-10 minutes after the first spray, I get a blast of a warm cedar/patchouli smell. It then gets sharper on my nose with the rosemary and sage giving it balance. It lasts all day for me, and I have had compliments on it after 8-10 hours! And that's just 2-3 sprays. Very well done, and I highly recommend.
09th August, 2015

Fan di Fendi pour Homme by Fendi

An absolute clone of Spicebomb. Not a bad thing really. The notes just seem reversed to me. Getting compliments on this one already, so I'm scooping up what I can. Most Fendi fragrances have been discontinued since they have been bought out.
07th August, 2015

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

Sensational! This is one that people always ask about every time you wear it. I went out the other night and it made me the center of attention. It really is amazing how a fantastic cologne can change peoples' perceptions. So this one is a keeper. I just wish it were cheaper.
03rd August, 2015