Reviews by

Sport Jil Sander for Men by Jil Sander

A lovely vibrant and sweet fragrance, just what I was looking for. It will be better for summer but who cares? I finally made a blind purchase that I can be really satisfied with. The top notes are quite bland and a little harsh and you think "oh here we go, I've smelled this hundreds of times before" but then the sweetness comes out in the middle notes and it is heavenly. This is probably a scent to wear in the late afternoon as you think about watching the sunset and of course, your first drink.

22nd December, 2009

Baby Blue Jeans by Versace

Baby Blue Jeans has a nice citrus opening but all too quickly dries down to a bland powdery smell. I can't detect the base notes of sandalwood or cedarwood at all. Not really a masculine scent but probably more unisex. An uninspiring juice. Sorry about the dull review but it's a dull scent.

11th December, 2009

Story by Paul Smith

I'm disappointed with this one, I was fooled by the many positive reviews. Do some of you work for Paul Smith? I should have known why this scent was in the bargain basket and I will never blind buy again. All I get here is fresh green soap and more soap. If you poured shower gel on to wet grass and waited for it to mix with the rain, this is what you would get. Not what I expect from a designer fragrance.

18th November, 2009

Joop! Go by Joop!

Yes, it's a bit boring but in a nice and inoffensive kind of way. Women seem to like it. I don't get the blood orange or rhubarb notes in this but it dries down into a relatively nice woody scent. Thumbs up. Just.

14th September, 2009

Cool Water Cool Summer by Davidoff

This is not a bad effort from Davidoff. The summer 2009 edition of Cool Water is definitely better than previous years' flankers. There's a nice blend between the original Cool Water and some citrus here. I find this formulation superior to the original and a good scent to freshen up with after a long day under the hot sun.

28th August, 2009

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

Dior Homme Sport beats all the run-of-the-mill (fresh, citrus) sports fragrances hands down. How many spicy sports scents are there out there? Not many and this one's great. This is certainly a refreshing change and my wife likes it too, which is a rarity.

08th July, 2009

Antaeus by Chanel

Too strong, too pungent, too dated. Enough to make women run away.

02nd July, 2009

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

Synthetic and cheap. I felt ill just smelling this on my wrist during tests. CK fragrances are generally quite poor and to be generally avoided (with the odd exception). I imagine the combination of wearing this fragrance and then drinking alcohol, could be lethal.

03rd June, 2009

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

I nearly bought some of this today because it was on special offer. I'm now glad I didn't because it's just too bland and uninspired, which is odd considering there are so many ingredients in the mix. Maybe that's the problem. Anyway, it smells too sharp and bitter for me and there are too many leaves involved here.

03rd June, 2009

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I've changed my mind about this one. At first I loved it, particularly the incense and the way it reminds me of houses of ill repute in the middle east. But now it smells cheap and sickly. I used to love the YSL range but I'm now finding myself more and more disappointed with their fragrances. Body Kouros is OK but nothing more, just OK.

03rd June, 2009 (Last Edited: 29th August, 2009)

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

Lovely scent. Ideal as an every day casual scent to wear to the office but would also be great for evening wear in warmer climates. I particularly like the amber note in this fragrance and I agree with Vawallpa that it's similar to Safari (both contain Geranium and Sandalwood), although Herrera is lighter and fresher on my skin. I'm pleasantly surprised by this one and will be seeking out more bottles.

19th May, 2009

Coriolan by Guerlain

Sorry guys, this is the worst male fragrance by Guerlain. They were selling this off at the local store for £10 a bottle and still couldn't get rid of them. This is my worst blind purchase ever. It smells like some of the solutions I used to pour into test tubes during school Chemistry lessons.

19th May, 2009

Pi by Givenchy

Might work as an air freshener or range of scented candles but does not impress me as a men's EDT. I do not want to smell like vanilla ice cream dipped in alcohol. Not one to wear in summer when all the insects are flying around, looking for a sweet treat.

18th May, 2009 (Last Edited: 24th July, 2009)

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is strong. Too strong. People can smell you three blocks away if you are wearing this stuff. I have never had any positive comments while wearing the original Kouros. Someone bought me a 100ml bottle from the airport, so I felt obliged to try and persevere with it but I just had to give in because it is just too overpowering.
    And also, one of the middle notes seems to be urine.

18th May, 2009

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Tacky bottle, tacky name but a great scent. I've changed my mind about this one and it is currently one of my favourite scents. It stands out amongst the crowd of bland 'fresh' fragrances that dominate the male fragrance market and is perfect for evening wear. One to get the felines purrring.

17th May, 2009 (Last Edited: 12th March, 2010)

Eternity Summer for Men 2006 by Calvin Klein

A nice pleasant scent but nothing special. Not particularly masculine but it's a summer scent after all. I can imagine most females would not object to this fragrance being present on your hot, perspiring body.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Oh dear. I imagine this is what Norman Bates would wear, while playing with dead things in the attic.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

My, how one's tastes change with age. I seem to recall this being quite pleasant when I was at college in the late nineties. Now it smells hideous, like a mixture of burnt leaves and old men.

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

A nice subtle fragrance. Elegant and charming but not in your face. I could imagine wearing this on a warm evening near the sea. Maybe while attending a dinner party held aboard some fat cat's yacht, and being seduced by his wife.

08th May, 2009

Eternity Summer for Men 2007 by Calvin Klein

Boring and smells cheap. Reminds me of one of my ex-girlfriends.

08th May, 2009 (Last Edited: 18th May, 2009)

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

After receiving some rather negative comments from females at the office about my "too strong and overbearing" scents (Kouros Fraicheur & Safari etc), I bought this to wear to work as a nice casual scent. Well, they all like it and so do I to a certain extent, although I feel a little too old to be wearing this kind of stuff (I'm 33) and do prefer more masculine frags. Anyway, this is a nice fresh scent, slightly fruity and best worn during the spring or summer time. Women seem to prefer these lighter and almost unisex scents on a man, don't they?

15th April, 2009

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

Lovely scent. I sampled Safari today for the first time in about 10 years and just had to buy a bottle. Who knows how long this fragrance will still be available? This is a nice easy-going chypre which was very popular when it was first released. It certainly has more character than most of the mainstream scents of today and exudes masculinity and class. Buy it.

26th March, 2009

cK one by Calvin Klein

CK One just about gets a thumbs up from me. It's possibly a little too feminine for a man but a nice and fresh casual scent for a summer's day. Not sure if I would buy this but I'm glad to have tried it all the same.

11th March, 2009

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

My favourite aquatic scent to date. I smell sea breeze, minerals & fragrant oceans. It's clean, dry but slightly sweet at the same time, nice and subtle. I also get a faint whiff of liquorice...ummm. Kenzo pour homme is certainly a refreshing change.

26th February, 2009

212 Men On Ice (2004) by Carolina Herrera

212 On Ice smells like green ice pops and wet grass. It's not very masculine at all and wouldn't smell any better on a woman. I'm really disappointed with this one. I still have about 90ml left out of a 100ml bottle. Will probably have to use this as an air freshner.

08th February, 2009

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Lovely stuff. Definately more masculine than Egoiste. This is strong stuff and I am definately happy just using the aftershave lotion which lasts 6-7 hours on me. The EDT can be a little overpowering, so use it sparingly.

22nd January, 2009

Rive Gauche pour Homme Light by Yves Saint Laurent

Nice, clean masculine scent. This one gets compliments whenever I wear it. The original is a little too strong for me, so the light version is a nice compromise. Thumbs up.

15th January, 2009

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

Too powdery and overbearing at first but dries down to a nice, sweet yet masculine scent. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I think it smells a bit too like an 'old man's' cologne.

15th January, 2009

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Absolutely foul! Imagine getting your dog to eat half a dozen lemons and a packet of teabags and then smelling his breath, you would experience something quite close to Bulgari Extreme. Strong, sour lemon with a hint of dog breath. Revolting.

02nd November, 2008

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

I am slightly disappointed with my (blind) purchase of John Varvatos.
    I love the initial burst of meditteranean herbs and date fruit but when it dries down it becomes too sweet and cheap smelling. Doesn't last very long either. One woman at work described it as 'awful', however I wouldn't say it is that bad.....just try before you buy.

23rd October, 2008