Reviews by rinosaur

rinosaur's avatar
    rinosaur

Kiehl's Amber Essence Oil by Kiehl's

Closest amber that I can relate this to is Ambre Russe from d'Empire which was a surprise for me. Very clean and soft unisex amber that projects as do the other essence oils from Kiehl. I'd definately give this one a shot as well as the Musk if you have a Kiehl store in your city. At 25 bucks for a 7ml perfume oil roll-on its budget friendly as well.

30th December, 2009

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

A semi-masculine rose scent that is perceived to be dark because of the sandalwood and vetiver in it. It smells very gothic and temple like and thats what makes this hard to actually wear. You can imagine a temple smelling like this but on a person it just seems too strange, especially in a modern office building. It smells high quality and epic but its just not feasible to me. There are a few other rose scents you can try as alternatives if you feel the same way.. Black Aoud and Voleur de Roses are two. Definately try before you shell out the cash.

20th December, 2009

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

Citrus and ginger, from start to finish, very simple and linear fragrance. Does that make it bad? Then that would make all the traditional EdCs bad. Its absolutely perfect for hot weather and has the spice to make it stand from other sports frags.

07 December, 2009

CK Free by Calvin Klein

A very light fragrance. It is amazingly weak, has poor longetivity, and lacks character. I was afraid of sampling it looking at the bottle and as I expected, it didn't deliver. However fresh, I will give it props for not being an aquatic.

03 November, 2009

Red Vetyver by Montale

A spicy version of Terre d'Hermes without the over ripe oranges. I don't know about the quality of ingredients but I bet they are good considering the Montale name. I personally prefer the Hermes though.

23 August, 2009

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Smells really rich. Immediately reminded me of a few perfume oils I got from the Middle East as well as South Asia. But this penetrates you, the scent smells similar to the best of the oils I had gotten. I cannot give this anything but a thumbs up. Amazingly natural smelling and intoxicating.

23 August, 2009

Benetroessere Resort by Etro

After the opening, this reminds me alot of Chanel Allure Homme Sport. Its a very sporty fragrance that has a heavy (but not piercing) citrus opening, then it goes to a floral, similar to Platinum Egoiste. It doesn't smell synthetic at all to me, a somewhat classic style fragrance. Beautiful, but having Platinum Egoiste already, I don't feel a need for a very similar masculine floral anymore. I find on the web that this is marketed as a woman's perfume, I find that rediculous. This isn't very expensive either: a 150ml goes for around 40 online, even less for testers.

26 July, 2009

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Being one who loves Ambre Sultan, I obviously find this a bit too tame. Its a rich fragrance but at the same time it feels very plain.

17 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 July, 2009)

Forest Rain by Kiehl's

As Pidgeon Murderer says, its smells like shampoo. Its very sharp, and pretty offensive to me. It is very strong and there is something sweet about this fragrance, I don't even know what muguet is but its probably that. Original Musk was on the shelf near it, they shouldn't be: Kiehl's OM is on a different league.

16 July, 2009

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

It has the Kenzo creamy lemon note in it that is found in L'eau par Kenzo and Kenzo Homme Fresh and that is a very good thing. Its a floral which already sits well with me, it smells so beautiful. I like the concept of the "imaginary flower" - this is just what I'd think it would smell like. Not many masculine florals have come out in recent years and this one really caught my attention. It doesn't seem masculine at first but there is a certain sharp green note in the background that prevents it from being feminine. Absolutely perfect for summertime and it has a cool looking canister bottle. The only problem is the name, "Power" isn't really fitting for a light floral :P

10th July, 2009

Kenzo pour Homme Fresh by Kenzo

This is exactly like what L'eau par Kenzo and Kenzo Homme would be if combined. Its has a light creamy lemon/floral on the top and a toned down version of the raw Kenzo sea in the background. By doing this it does lose character and becomes a bit more generic smelling which is my only gripe about it. Its absolutely perfect for the summer, very refreshing and soothing.

10th July, 2009

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

This is my favorite of the Men series although I haven't tried Pure Coffee. I take wearability into consideration when rating fragrances and in the end I rate this best, B*Men is second, and A*Men is last. Wearability aside, this is still the best smelling frag of the 3. Its creamy like the other 2 but its not as sweet as either, which I find is the killer of A*Men (its just too much). I don't know what the note is but there is a really sharp note in this that really go all the way to my stomach and to me this element just makes the fragrance so much better. If you like A*Men give it a shot, if you like B*Men more than A*Men (like me), then you should really really try this.

09 July, 2009

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

This is THE best true marine that I've smelled as of yet. Most "aquatic" scents just take a few elements of the sea and leave the less desirable ones out while adding the same ol citrus blend in. Kenzo PH incorporates all aspects of the sea, the ozone, seaweed, brine, saltwater, etc. Its raw and powerful and it does its job like no other.

08 July, 2009

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

A beautiful lemon scent that comes off medium strength and then steps down to a creamy lemon-aquatic. There is one use for this and its exactly what I use it for: scorching hot days where I know I will get sweaty. There is no better fragrance I've tested yet that is more suitable for extreme heat than this.

28 June, 2009

D&G La Roue de la Fortune 10 by Dolce & Gabbana

It a heavy floral to me, but I'm still a noob reviewer. Its classified as a unisex but its pretty feminine. Benzoin is listed as one of the base notes but I just cant detect it, either its effectively not there or its so light that I can't detect it after a day of heavy testing. As a male I can't really recommend this fragrance. For females, I don't know what many femnine perfumes smell like and therefore can't really give a review from that side. It does smell alot like potpourri.

D&G L'Amoureaux 6 by Dolce & Gabbana

This has a few notes that I can't readily identify such as birch, juniper, pink pepper, and orris. Still, its a beautifully crafted fragrance, smells kind of unisex to me woody and musky in the drydown just as its supposed to. Has alot of spices in it but its not heavy at all, very inoffensive while smelling uncommon.

D&G L'Imperatrice 3 by Dolce & Gabbana

This is just loaded with watermelon, kiwi, and apricot although apricot isn't listed in the note preview thats out. I came thinking these were unisex but this one is clearly feminine and even then it smells way too fruity to me.

D&G Le Bateleur 1 by Dolce & Gabbana

To be quite honest this smells a bit bland to me. Even though the fragrance is supposed to be a aquatic/cedar/vetiver it just doesn't end up to be all that unique. But if you really dig into the smell which I tried with the best of my ability, you can pick out the notes and the whole thing smells high quality. I will admit in the end that I am a fan of most vetiver present fragrances.

Love in Black by Creed

Can be pretty offensive if smelled for more than a breeze. It honestly does seem like a depressing fragrance with some violets. But if it really is inspired by Jackie Kennedy Onassis

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Beautiful smoky woody vetiver. Its a slightly lighter version than Encre Noire. Opening smells a bit harsh but drydown is downright gorgeous. One of the best vetiver loaded scents out there. I actually think its pretty good that its marketed towards females. Most probably wont want to wear it since it is a bit masculine, and 99% of guys wont venture off to the womans side to buy scents. Thats what makes it a rare fragrance. I was however surprised at seeing Sycomore at the mens section of the Chanel boutique.

Armani Privé Cuir Améthyste by Giorgio Armani

Violets, suede, and leather. Its pretty feminine to me, I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing it. I'm fine with true unisex such as the CKs but this one crosses over. I think the name hits it right on, amythyst is a very appropriate stone/color to match this fragrance. It definately smells of a quality fragrance.

Armani Privé Ambre Soie by Giorgio Armani

Its a pretty nice sweet amber but there is a slight tart note maybe clove as another suggested that kinda kills it for me. I prefer SL Ambre Sultan though this isn't a bad amber.

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

Tobacco and ginger dominated. I find this a classy fragrance with an old but noble feel to it. But there is the salty/sweaty part to it which I just can't stand.

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

Lol this fragance is so rediculous. Its conjures up an image of a fiery demonic cult ceremony. Very dark, and actually to be quite honest, the smell combined with the bottle are scary to me. The fragrance is totally unique to me and very interesting as most famous painters are. But in the end, its as wearable as Joop!, wait.... its less than Joop! (aka keep it at home).

Rocabar by Hermès

Very smooth, subtle (but still present), and well blended, it smells high quality. Has alot of pine and cedar in it. Although it listed vanilla as a base, I can't really detect it there. I think it smells like walking through a coniferous forest after it had just rained (when the wood smell comes alive). The new slim bottle is reformulated very slightly, the only difference I smell is that the pine note is sharper now.

24 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st August, 2009)

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

Wow this is so boring, a very light orange and also very low key. Seems so mediocre.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Good for cold weather. Its classy as is many of the Creeds, but it is very complete in its blend, its not missing anything. To me this is the epitome of high class fragrance, and unfortunately alot of high class brands (including Creed) keep coming out with mediocre stuff.

Antaeus by Chanel

Big time powerhouse fougere. Its so freakin heavy to wear and very masculine, I don't like the smell but I wouldn't give it a negative just based on that. I think its nearly unwearable possibly even offensive to some.

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Very powdery sweet in the beginning, not fruity or vanilla sweet, its just feminine sweet. Its nauseating to me and very powerful. My dad used to wear it after it was given to him. I cant stand it.

20th June, 2009

Gucci pour Homme (original) by Gucci

If this came out now, I wouldn't really take much notice, but for the 1976-1989 era, this is definately good stuff. Woody and distinctly masculine. Seems to be the epitome of a man's fragrance, even more than Chanel PM. Bottles are quite expensive now but this is a must for a collector, its a legend.

18 June, 2009