Reviews by Adama

Séville à l'Aube by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Sweet orange blossom, there is a soft, candy-like feel to it that is fairly annoying with its strength.

The floral notes must be keeping me from detecting the honey, which I normally enjoy as a background note in fragrances.

After a short time I can detect a metallic note, which is sharp and doesn't smell good.

All-in-all I did not enjoy this perfume.
23rd April, 2016

Prada Candy by Prada

The musk and the caramel opening reminds me of those Big Foot candies I used to get as a kid- synthetic "strawberry", plastic-like.

Sometimes early on I get a whiff of something that almost resembles CK Be, with strawberry and musk instead of peach and musk.

The candy notes fade eventually and Candy becomes an inoffensive musky, sweet vanilla scent.

My girlfriend really likes it, I honestly prefer her Amazing Grace by Philosophy.
16th February, 2016

Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford

Like most Tom Ford fragrances, Noir Extreme smells like a really, really good version of "some other fragrance you've smelled before but can't put your finger on".

Pleasantly sweet, creamy, with some nice woods... and something that makes my eyes water.

I won't be buying a bottle, but I enjoy most aspects of this scent.
19th July, 2015

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma

Starts off light and soapy before becoming an eye-watering barbershop scent.

15th July, 2015

Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia Di Capri by Acqua di Parma

I was kind of so so about Colonia Essenza so I thought I'd spray this to try that bright blast of juicy orange everyone was talking about.

I didn't realize I'd be spraying orange hair spray that soon becomes just hair spray on my wrist.

Bad.
04th June, 2015

L'Eau Neuve (new) by Lubin

Opens with Orange peel and a peppery Lavender, the latter of which steals the stage very quickly. Not as bright as I'd hoped, like the citrus opening of Tom Ford's Mandarino di Amalfi.

Citrus peel peeks through a bit more as time goes on, Chamomile makes itself known, smells like a warm, comforting, herbal tea!

Thyme eventually emerges, smells like it was fresh picked from the garden. Centers the floral Chamomile with it's bitter green scent, Lavender in the background throughout.

Moss finishes things up, a bit boring compared to other Lubin heartnotes I've tried.

All in all L'eau Neuve didn't live up to the hopes I'd pinned to it. It really isn't bad- it's great at what it sets out to do- but it certainly isn't something that represents me.
12th May, 2015

Luna Rossa by Prada

It's been a year since I sampled it, but I remember thinking "This smells like clementines!" when I had it on my arm.

I'll give it another shot next time I have the opportunity, but I remember being impressed.
05th March, 2015

Mandarino di Amalfi by Tom Ford

Fresh mandarin peels and spearmint open Mandarino di Amalfi, clean and natural.

Herbs quickly enter the fray, making the scent a bit heavier, but for the mandarin remains, juicy and wonderful.

The herbs become more and more prominent, while sweet berries and something that reminds me of the scent of natural, fruity scented roses develop in the background.

At this point the scent continues to develop, but its intensity becomes quickly subdued.

M di A eventually becomes a darker scent.

The mandarin notes are still present, but are over-powered by an emerging earthiness. It reminds me somewhat of the notes in Dior's Granville.

All in all M di A is a competent, pleasant fragrance that is a nice escape for the nose. While I much prefer Neroli Portofino, I think that most members on this site would prefer this one to its soap heavy counter-part.

As with Neroli Portofino, I struggled to choose a rating for this fragrance. While I enjoy the opening of Mandarino di Amalfi, the majority of the fragrance is simply "pretty good". I'm giving it a Neutral for now.

Edit:

I've worn M di A for a few weeks now, and have grown to appreciate it as a scent more than one I first bought it.

In the opening I get the juicy Mandarin, but I also pick up tart Clementine notes as well. The Spearmint is spectacular, and though I've never been one for Herbal notes, those present in M di A have become very comforting.

The earthy Musk and Civet has also grown on me; imagine holding Mandarin peels in one hand and some freshly turned Earth in the other... wonderful.

Changed from a Neutral to Thumbs Up. I don't enjoy it as much as Neroli Portofino, but M di A has better longevity and is a nice change.

A very solid flanker. Tom Ford produces a lot of stuff I'm not a fan of, but NP and M di A are exquisite.
02nd January, 2015 (last edited: 13th February, 2015)

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

A pleasant herb and citrus opening that eventually gives way to a fine vetiver base... accompanied by a sweet vegetable background that completely ruins the fragrance and makes it smell rotten.

I don't think I fully appreciated Dior's Vetiver that uses roasted coffee bean as a compliment to it's vetiver base until I tried Grey Vetiver.

Pass.
15th December, 2014

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

Opens with equal parts Dove soap and Ferre's Bergamotto Marino with hints of Mugler Cologne in the background... it smells like the most expensive soap in the world.

After a few minutes I get less Dove and more Mugler Cologne, only sharper and without the powder that eventually emerges with Cologne, as well as some subtle but very natural clementine notes.

It brings to mind sun, grassy fields, and citrus.

It's probably one of the best fragrances I've ever sampled...

...if only it stuck around for more than 20 minutes. After that it's a faded shadow of it's former self that only serves to remind you of how good it was when you put it on. The price tag is impossible to ignore as well; $150/ 1oz, $235/ 1.7oz CAD is ridiculous for such a poorly performing fragrance, even if it is done in a "traditional Cologne" style.

Neroli Portofino lifts you up into Heaven and then cruelly pulls you back down to Earth within moments.

It rates a solid, solid Positive for scent, but a low Neutral for performance.
08th December, 2014

Patchouli Impérial by Christian Dior

My last foray into the Dior Privee line, the others being Cologne Royale, Granville, Vetiver, and Ambre Nuit.

Patchouli Imperial opens with a very strong Patchouli note that is perhaps the driest I've ever encountered. The Patchouli is very natural and it's dryness is balanced out by an equally natural cream note.

As time goes on, the cream subsides and the dry Patchouli begins mixing with something that reminds me of freshly tilled soil... earthy and thick.

Sweet wood notes emerge eventually, and they would have smelled just as natural as the others if they had been as consistently dry, but the attempt at balancing makes their unnatural sweetness all the more noticeable.

Luckily the sweetness disappears, along with most of the Patchouli, and all that is left is a very nice wood scent, which reminds me of the way my mother's 110 year old dining room set (table, chairs, china cabinet) smell.

While Patchouli Imperial is certainly not my type of fragrance, like all the others in the Privee line it is a work of art, the quality of which I can appreciate.

As for wearability, I don't think I'd be able to go outside the house with this one, but I can see it being a favorite for many on this site for it's strength and quality construction.

For those reasons, I give it a Neutral.
01st December, 2014

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Did I really never get around to reviewing Gucci Pour Homme I?

I bought a decant of this stuff about a year ago, and it is probably one of the most amazing fragrances that I've tried in all my years as a fragrance enthusiast... simple. but amazing.

Gucci PH I is a straight cedar, but throughout it's time on the skin the cedar is modified by notes in the background.

On first spray the cedar is sweet, before quickly becoming "wet", followed by mildly spicy nutmeg notes emerge ever so slightly and the sweetness and aquatics disappear.

One of the best, it's discontinuation continues to be one of the great mysteries of the universe, especially in light of all the terrible fragrances that Gucci sells today.

If you can find a decant or bottle buy it, the hype is real, and there has never been a more suitable Winter/ Christmas cologne.
24th November, 2014

Granville by Christian Dior

Strong Thyme and Lemon opening, smells very authentic, but is still odd.

Nostril-flaring menthol brings to mind mint rather than ocean air, it passes quickly at any rate.

The Rosemary/ Pine notes smell very earthy to me... dirty and soil-like. There is also a "sweatiness" going on in the background.

The earthiness becomes increasingly synthetic and plasticky, reminds me of fuel.

After a little more than an hour, plasticy-fuel, like a mechanic's garage, and dirt dominate.

If Dior's Fahrenheit is the smell of a Mechanic, Granville is the smell of a Landscaper. Earth, fuel, and sweat.

Neutral, because while it isn't something I want to wear outside, it's still a unique scent that is much more appealing than Fahrenheit, and I find myself sneaking it often just to smell... whatever it is...
11th September, 2014

Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior

My fourth fragrance from Dior's Prive line, the others being Cologne Royale, Vetiver, and Granville.

Immediately I get a sweet powder with hints of faint citrus. It's feminine, and reminds me quite a bit of a perfume that my mother used to wear when I was a child.

After a few minutes some spicy rose notes begin to emerge, with a negligible nutty-wood far off in the periphery. The fragrance still maintains a general powdery sweetness.

Soon the rose notes become more prominent, but are still played in the background of the powdery pepper. At this stage there also emerges an unusual metallic note that I cannot explain, something like stainless steel or metal filings, sharp and a bit sour.

At any rate, the metallic note subsides quickly, allowing Ambre Nuit to remain and fade as a sweet floral for the rest of it's time on the skin, but I felt it was worth mentioning since it has mysteriously turned up every time I've worn this fragrance.

Overall I find Ambre Nuit to be fairly disappointing, but I've never been a fan of Orientals. It doesn't seem to really distinguish itself from other fragrances, and reminds me of a mash-up between Burberry Brit and London.

I don't dislike it, but it certainly isn't something that I would wear outside the house, and despite being marketed towards men I believe that the majority of people will interpret it as a women's perfume. I'll give it some time, as I found Vetiver lacking when I first bought it but now find myself really enjoying it.
04th September, 2014

Adidas Moves 0:01 by Adidas

Opens with an actually nice gingerale scent, which lasts about 1 minute before suede and synthetic fruits emerge, with something vegetable like underneath.

Becomes plasticky floral, a hint of mint, must be the coriander.

Eye-watering base, synthetic and terrible.
28th August, 2014

Adidas Deep Energy by Adidas

Starts off sweet, powdery, with a hint of orange. Smells a lot like sanitary products, a cheap generic "clean" smell.

Florals, maybe violet, emerge as the powder subsides, the scent is weakening at this point.

After about 15 minutes it's a sweet musk, smells like cardboard.
28th August, 2014

Vétiver by Christian Dior

Vetiver opens with a very strong violet. The violet is sweet and very floral, not anything close to grapefruit or coffee. It reminds me an awful lot of Burberry Touch, which I strongly disliked.

Vetiver eventually becomes more bitter, more dried grass that is quite pleasant, but that doesn't make up for the weak opening.
13th August, 2014

Cologne pour le Matin by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Another member gave me a sample during a trade, and I thought I'd made a review for it but apparently did not.

Cologne pour le Matin is a very Thyme and Lavender heavy scent. The White Thyme is much sharper and stronger than what I have growing in my garden right now, as is the Lavender.

Lemon/Bergamot exist in the background, but are never prominent since the florals bully their way to the front of every stage of this scent.

There are much better cologne-styled fragrances.
01st August, 2014

Sel Marin by Heeley

I bought a decant of Sel Marin because I wanted to try out the "Top Two" aquatics, the other being Creed's Erolfa, and settle on a signature scent that represents my Atlantic Canada seaside life. While I fell in love with Erolfa, I wanted to know what Sel Marin was like because of the high praise it gets on Basenotes.

Sel Marin opens with a bitter, slightly spicy Lemon that quickly disappears behind some vaguely Green notes.

As it progresses, a sharp metallic note emerges (Salt I suppose, but it smells like a stainless steel counter) and the spiciness remains. The spice reminds me of a combination of Pepper and Allspice, and it eventually eclipses the "Salt" and dominates.

Seaweed emerges, but it's more like a very realistic algae wrapped in a wisp of an ocean breeze. To be honest, it reminds me a lot of when I would clean my fish tank as a child.

While I'm sorry that Sel Marin didn't live up to it's praise, I'm glad that I got it out of the way and can now buy Erolfa without worrying about what could have been.

Update:

This past summer I spent a day at the beach. Upon returning home, I sniffed my skin, and to my complete surprise... I smelled Sel Marin. The combination of sand, dried salt water, sunscreen, and whatever else my skin had absorbed that day was a perfect combination that instantly made me think of this scent that I'd dismissed months earlier.

I was humbled, and felt that I should mention this in my review.
11th July, 2014 (last edited: 18th September, 2014)

Adidas Blue Challenge by Adidas

Lots of Pineapple and spearmint in the opening, despite the latter not appearing in the notes. The spearmint is very reminiscent of toothpaste or chewing gum. Synthetic water in the background.

Apple beings to emerge, the lavender becomes more noticeable.

Sweet wood to finish off. The projection has diminished dramatically since first sprayed, and it wasn't strong to being with.

This would be fine for a teenager, I suppose. Not a grown man.
24th June, 2014

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Musky fruit and salt water that eventually becomes musky wood and salt water. Very little progression, the salt is much more prominent than I thought it would be.

I'm a bit disappointed in it, to be honest.

I was hoping for a variation on the Aquatic theme as good as Erolfa, which feels more like a cold North American shore than Imperial, which feels like a sweaty hot Mediterranean one.

Sometimes when I smell it I get an "old book" smell.

Edit: Upon further use I've been getting more and more "old book", ie old paper, which I think comes from the salt, musk, and woods.

I asked my girlfriend what she thought. She said it was "okay", but really strong.
20th June, 2014 (last edited: 12th July, 2014)

Laundromat by Demeter Fragrance Library

One of my favorite memories of living in Residence during my university days was the laundry room, which was just down the hall from my room. The laundry room smelled of dryer sheets, a melange of various soaps, and crisp air from the open window... an attempt I assume to get those smells out. The combination was intoxicating, and alongside the steady drumming of the washers and dryers the room was very relaxing, making doing laundry a secret pleasure for me.

Laundromat by Demeter captures that setting perfectly. Powdery soap, which is no longer common, is the main note, however as others have said there is also a hard to place warm air/ water in the background.

Demeter is more often miss than hit, but when they hit they hit a home run. Easily my favorite in their line, and I don't think I'm alone since I bought the last bottle on sale at the local store.

Next up is Paperback!
02nd June, 2014

Sanrio - Hello Kitty by Demeter Fragrance Library

A smack in the face of synthetic candy apple. It's for young girls, but is terrible and eye watering. I'm reconsidering giving it to my niece...
01st June, 2014

Earl Grey Tea by Demeter Fragrance Library

I'm really surprised by the Negative reviews for this simple, enjoyable fragrance!

Earl Grey is essentially CK BE for the majority of its moderately short lifespan (I suggest using several sprays, just like with BE, to get the most out of this one). I suppose that this must come from the Bergamot that the two fragrances both share, but to my nose is also a good dose of Peach present in BE but unmentioned in Earl Grey.

This CK BE phase lasts for only a few minutes before the Black Tea notes start to peek through, but for a long time the best imagery I can convey for this fragrance is: spray CK BE on your wrist, smell it for a few minutes while the kettle brews, pour a cup of Lady Grey tea, hold your wrist over the tea while sniffing, then progressively move your wrist further and further away.

A very nice little scent, I bought it on sale for $4 and could not have been happier. Full price? Maybe not so much, but this is one of the better Demeters for sure.
19th May, 2014 (last edited: 02nd December, 2014)

Cologne Royale by Christian Dior

Royale Cologne opens with a very natural Lemon and Mint combination, which smells a lot like Grass. It smells heavenly, and if you focus on the Lemon it bears a strong resemblance to Dior's Cologne '13.

The Lemon very quickly subsides and lets the herbal Mint shine, as well as some Neroli in the background. It has been about 5 minutes.

The Neroli slowly starts to take over from the Mint. It's soft and floral and works well with the Sandalwood heartnotes, which creates the image of smelling a bitter orange tree: blossoms and wood.

Very soon after it has all but disappeared. It has been about 15 minutes.

Royale Cologne is a delightful experience for the nose. It's unfortunate that it's longevity is so poor. Normally that would be enough to receive a Neutral from me, but despite that glaring flaw I choose to give it a Positive due to the sheer quality of the scent for those 15 minutes.

I won't be purchasing a bottle, but I'm glad that I picked up a couple of the 7.5ml sample bottles. If you cannot get your hands on Royale, try out Cologne '13 for a similarly well-done Chypre by Dior.

Update:

Despite my statement that I wouldn't be buying a full bottle, I've enjoyed my small amount of Cologne Royale so much that I decided to treat myself to a 4.2ozer. What finally pushed me over the edge was that one day I went for a well-paced walk and smelled something completely divine. Floral, crisp, fresh, it smelled amazing... and then I remembered the Cologne Royale that I'd applied in the morning after a shower.

Having worn Cologne Royale for a few months now, I've decided that the Sandalwood note is so suppressed that for all intents and purposes it may as well be absent. If I were to assign a basenote to Cologne Royale it would be Neroli, which acts as a modifier for the strong Mint heartnote.

If you can find samples I'd recommend giving this one a shot, with the understanding that it's a simple Citrus+MINT MINT MINT fragrance. I can see many being annoyed at the simplicity and high price, but Demachy has created a work of art with Cologne Royale.
04th May, 2014 (last edited: 08th August, 2014)

Legend by Montblanc

Smells exactly like Abercrombie's Fierce. While I enjoyed that fragrance years ago, I don't want to smell like it today.

04th May, 2014

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I didn't put a review for GIT in?

Maybe it was due to the disappointment- I tried it years ago, waiting for the samples to arrive to try out The Most Popular Frag on Basenotes...

And I got a lot of violet, herbs, and musk. It smelled very dated and not at all like what I'd expected. I gave my other sample away as a freebie in a swap.

As with most Creeds I could smell the quality, but that doesn't mean much if the scent isn't knock-down fantastic considering the price point.

Aventus by Creed

Aventus is definitely a very unique scent.

It opens with both pineapple and a very strong pine note, which tones down quickly as a very sweet leather emerges.

The pineapple and black currant soon dominate to create a very candy-like scent, very sweet and natural smelling.

Soon smoky notes come out, not camp-fire-like as in Lubin Itasca but very subtle, as well as an excellent birch note, which smells just like going up to a tree and taking a whiff of freshly torn, paper-thin bark.

Sweet smoke and wood dominate as it fades, I get zero vanilla.

Aventus was a joy to sample.

I don't think I would ever buy a bottle of it, but it's an excellent fragrance, and it's popularity around here makes more sense to me now. Best scent in the last few years? That's debatable, but I cannot fault anyone for making this a mainstay in their rotation.

Erolfa by Creed

Erolfa is a very nice scent.

It opens with a combination of salty oceanic and very strong bergamot notes. The bergamot creates a very soapy scent, which deepens with the addition of pepper.

After a few minutes the bergamot and pepper disappear, leaving the salty oceanic notes, as well as herbal mint. This stage reminds me a lot of the "fizzy citrus" notes of Sean John Unforgivable, though the note pyramids look nothing alike.

I doubt most people would be able to tell them apart, though admittedly Erolfa is a much nicer scent that fills the nostrils, feels more natural, and is much more refined. It's less sweet than Unforgivable, saltier, and does an excellent job of creating the feeling of an ocean breeze.

Rated Positive, it's a shame that it's so expensive. It's much better than Green Irish Tweed, and I think I like it even more than Aventus.

Axe Peace / Lynx Peace by Axe / Lynx

I picked up the bodywash of Axe Peace because I was told it was a rip off of the in/famous Dior Fahrenheit, which I'd heard was a smell somewhere between the tire aisle at a garage and motor oil mixed with diesel.

While I thoroughly enjoyed Peace, and really didn't like Fahrenheit, but can appreciate their similarities... but I would never call Peace a copy. Maybe more like cousins.

Peace is a very good scent that has a VERY crisp citrus/green opening combined with rubber, synthetic notes. The rubber really does resemble the imagery of the tire aisle.

It's an intoxicating scent that would do very well as an actual cologne.

I plan on "decanting" the spray and putting it in with body lotion.

The base is that same rubber synthetic mixed with woods.

I usually don't enjoy Axe products, but this one is a winner. Try it out!

Update:

After using Peace off and on for a few months now I've decided that I much prefer the bodywash to the actual spray. The scent of the bodywash puts much more emphasis on the sharp citrus notes and the dry tire rubber, whereas the spray has much more bitter exhaust notes.
11th April, 2014 (last edited: 02nd February, 2015)