Reviews by the_tourist

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The scent of a deranged Cinnabon employee who chain-smokes clove cigarettes...abrasively dry and discordant.
01st September, 2010

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

Imagine GIT without the bite of green at the top, and its iris note replaced by a syrupy-sweet synthetic one... yick. Further proof that some imitation is neither sincere nor flattering.
24th May, 2010

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

As I read through the thumbs-up reviews here, I feel as though I'm reviewing a completely different fragrance (mine is an official sample from Barney's in Chicago, just for the record). I get the bitter citrus of Terre d'Hermes atop a horrific fecal/skin/musk accord... no incense, no woods. The only "French lover" here is an unwashed whore in a 19th-century Parisian brothel.
28th October, 2009

Original Vetiver by Creed

The comparison to Mugler's Cologne seems unavoidable. However I find Creed's Original Vetiver to be much creamier (prominence of sandalwood), and less sharp/citrusy than the Mugler.
18th October, 2009

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Complex and intoxicating, this is reminiscent of the smell that lingers on your clothes after an evening spent in front of a campfire. The sweet mandarin is present at the beginning, but not at all overbearing, and blends well with the warm spice and woods. Unfortunately I can only smell DE on my skin for the first 30-45 minutes before I become anosmic to it (I have the same problem with other frags containing high amounts of Iso E Super), but others can smell it on my skin and clothes hours later. Two thumbs way up...
30th September, 2009

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

Short-lived, astringent lemon and pine give way to luxurious urinal cakes. Maybe I'm just not getting the era from which this originates, but this was a total scrubber on my skin.
30th September, 2009

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Urinal cakes and Frank Sinatra's ashtray. Blech.
15th August, 2009

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

When I was four or five years old, I raided my grandmother's spice rack and poured the contents of various bottles into a saucepan. This is what it smelled like.
21st January, 2009

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

I really tried to find something redeeming in this fragrance, especially after being so intrigued and impressed by "Amber". Unfortunately all I get with "Infusion" is a fizzy mix of Cherry Coke (neroli + "clean notes" morph into this, I guess) and iris-scented hand soap. On my skin, the fizz dissipated after about 30 minutes and I was left with heavy, heady iris. It just seemed more suited to a middle aged woman than any construct of masculinity that I can imagine. I would've given this a neutral rating on the basis of complexity or development, but it's just not there.
04th October, 2008