Reviews by AnimaSola

AnimaSola's avatar
    AnimaSola

Vétiver by Carven

Overall this is an attractive fragrance, especially in the dry down. Given the androgynous vibe of modern male scents it may be too raw and masculine for its own good.

19 April, 2013

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

This level of refinement, sensuality and warmth in a fragrance can only come from Italy. The beauty of this potion is ineffable; an unspeakably private indulgence that one returns to for solace. The tenderness and subtle intermingling of familiar and exotic notes in this perfume tops Ricci Club; I feel blasphemous saying that. Uomo Moschino is an absolute masterpiece of poetic composition and imagination.

12 March, 2012

Lomani by Lomani

This is the finest-smelling budget fragrance I've ever encountered. All of the positive comments by other reviewers are absolutely true. I have had people stop and ask me what I'm wearing. One almost feels embarrassed to say how cheap it is. You can easily forgive the uninspired bottle and the boring packaging because the juice inside is perfume sophistication of the first order. This smells better than most new fragrances on the market. A most enthusiastic thumbs up.

20th January, 2012

Boucheron pour Homme Fraîcheur by Boucheron

This is reminiscent of the original, which is not good to me, with refined citrus and a ton of floral intensity thrown in. It is overdone, but not as sharp or penetrating as the original. I can see how this extroverted scent would appeal to some.

31st July, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 August, 2011)

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

I have a friend who wears this and its aroma is heavenly. I smell the most elegant and refined pastry shop imaginable. I have a yen for dessert when I get a whiff of this. Deliciously feminine!

30th July, 2011

Aramis by Aramis

This was the fragrance that I pretended to love because it seemed so sophisticated prominently displayed in department stores. I haven't taken a whiff of this stuff in years nor do I desire to do so. I became bored with this cologne very fast. This is a fragrance that belongs in the past and it has no redeeming qualities or relevance to me now. Brash, bright, plebeian, overrated and oh-so 1970.

19 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 August, 2011)

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

A good, but very understated, cologne from D&G. It is very discreet and seductive in the dry down.

19 July, 2011

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

This juice is a stunningly refined and utterly elegant citrus and mint melange. The "mojito" aspect is there in a subtle and luxurious mode. If you are fond of green and citron blends then this jewel of a fragrance is for you. It is in the superlative style of Eau Sauvage, Eau de Caron and Nina Ricci scents. There is nothing linear or trendy about GH; it is classic Guerlain quality and sophistication throughout. I do not understand the negative reviews of this gorgeous perfume. A Heavenly Creation!

14 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 July, 2011)

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Xeryus Rouge is a rare and exotic animal indeed. I was very apprehensive after reading all the reviews about how fruity the fragrance is. I bought it blind at a very discounted price; that was my main motive for purchasing it. If it is fruity, the sensation is very muted and elegantly blended and wrought. What else would you expect from the house of Givenchy?
    There is a hint of something "chalky," maybe synthetic, in the dry down that is inharmonious at first blush, but it does not detract from an unusually appealing amalgamation of the very striking notes. The underlying sandalwood contrast with the other rare fruit and spice is what makes this gorgeous through and through. Why had I ignored this one!

06 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2011)

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Alien is a very apt name for this other-worldly brew. This is how I imagine an alien dominatrix or drag empress would smell. It is a jolting explosion of rich and luxuriant exotic notes in your face, furious and unrelenting. I like it, but a dab of this, I imagine, goes on for days and miles.

17 January, 2011

Bang by Marc Jacobs

I sprayed this on a card at Macy's tonight and I couldn't stop sniffing it. It smells very familiar, like a perfume from the 70's. My sense of deja vu and nostalgia make me immediately rate this a thumbs up without having worn it. It smells elegantly aromatic and woodsy. This was love at first whiff.

16 January, 2011

Unforgivable by Sean John

Unforgivably cloying and loud.

16 January, 2011

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Is this the most popular fragrance for young people ever? For a while that seemed to be the case. It is a semi-attractive scent that was very hyped and exceedingly overrated, especially by department store salespeople on commission. An agreeable, but entirely forgettable olfactory affair.

Heir by Paris Hilton

It does not smell bad at all. At worst, it is generic with no real distinction. It is light, clean and fresh, with subtle flowery and fruit notes. The dry down is rather pleasant. If you get it cheap it is worth it.

Just Cavalli Him by Roberto Cavalli

The only reason I bought this is for the discount-$10 for 60ml bottle. It smells nice but very light and elusive. I smell hints of herbs, fruit and airy wood. It smells a little like Agua Fresca by Adolfo Dominguez, but not as medicinal as that juice. Pleasant, but not striking or memorable. Thumbs up for the price and the overall quality.

Intimately Beckham Men by Beckham

Very nice. Smells sophisticated for a drugstore fragrance. A perfect balance of the spice, wood, and sweet essences.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

This is a loud, astringent and annoying fragrance. It is very strangely mixed, with the fresh and wood notes clashing and competing with each other. If the name Boucheron evokes sophistication, the fragrance betrays its namesake with a weird melange of incongruous elements ostensibly capturing olfactory brilliance. Silly ostentation.

Envy for Men by Gucci

I used to have a bottle of this when it first came out. It is overly-sweet and cloying, but it is appealing, nonetheless. I don't remember using up the entire bottle, so I must have given it away. I would not go back to this one. The similar-smelling Carven fragrance is just as good as this, not a simulacrum, and a lot cheaper.

X-Centric by Dunhill

This is the only Dunhill fragrance that I've worn and not enjoyed. I bought it blind, and since it was Dunhill I thought it would be appealing to me. It has a weird and synthetically cloying smell, not unlike Burberry Touch and Kenzo colognes. A major disappointment.

Baby Blue Jeans by Versace

This is a very soft citrus and musk creation. It is understated, and not gender specific, but it does have a youthful air. It mellows down to a strikingly lovely citrus and wood fusion in the dry down.
    I do not understand the negative reviews of this unassuming beauty.

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Like Eau Sauvage and Signoricci, this is citrus and wood sophistication at its best. It is refined, understated and disarmingly seductive. Classic!

Desire Blue by Dunhill

Luxurious and classy laundry detergent? Yes, and extravagantly fragrant. Blue radiance.

Dunhill Pure by Dunhill

Very appealing linear fragrance. There are fresh and astringent notes with the underlying Dunhill sophistication that imbues all of its scents. Perfect for the dressy casual function.

S.T. Dupont Homme by S.T. Dupont

Although the pungent "armpit" odor isn't as pronounced as in Cartier's Declaration, it's still there in its opening bouquet. It initially smells like an unbathed person has just walked passed you in an Indian spice market sprayed with flowery air freshener. I also detect a "ripe fig" essence. The dry down mitigates the headiness of the first spray, but the distinct too-earthy odor lingers like a stagnant cloud. This is a woody and floral fragrance in muted brown and purple tones. I definitely recommend wearing this a while before considering a purchase. I hesitate to give it a thumbs down because of the intriguing interplay of the floral elements.

07 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 January, 2011)

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

This is an attractive fragrance. It reminds me of the Varvatos scents with the unusual blend of muted fruit and dry wood. It is very opaque and mysterious, but does not strike me as terribly refined or sophisticated. It is like Miracle Homme's modest cousin. It could use more floral notes to brighten it up a bit. I like it, but it has the potential to be so much more. The attractive bottle's curve ends where the Lancome's Hypnose bottle begins.

07 January, 2011

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

This can smell like a tin of cinnamon, or a heavenly spice and flower melange. It all depends on the weather and how much you spritz on your body. It is soft and ingratiating in the dry down.

15 October, 2010

Passion for Men by Elizabeth Taylor

I had never owned this cologne before. I remember smelling it when it first came out and being underwhelmed. I recently bought it super cheap and I like it. There is a slight chemical smell in the initial application. Maybe the original version was different. How many times has this been reformulated? The flowery notes of jasmine and carnation harmonize elegantly with the patchouli, fruit and citrus. It is understated, but almost too much so. With so many appealing notes I was expecting a more voluptuous bouquet. This fragrance has a very aromatic dry down. The packaging and bottle are cheap-looking, but it is definitely worth the price at discount retailers.

18 September, 2010

Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir by Christian Dior

Very attractive. It tones down the brightness of the original fragrance, but it still smells a lot like the original Eau Sauvage. That is not a negative at all, but I thought more originality could have gone into this fragrance. It's fabulous nonetheless.

29 May, 2010

Twilight Woods by Bath and Body Works

Bath and Body Works products are usually too cloying, and this is the worst of all.

24 April, 2010

Samba Sexy Man by Perfumer's Workshop

This cologne is pretty good for being so inexpensive. Sweet and woodsy, it smells better than many colognes that cost far more. All of the Samba fragrances I've smelled are pleasant.

24 April, 2010