Reviews by AnimaSola

Pi by Givenchy

Pi or Pie? I feel like a gigantic custard pie wearing this. I had to wash it off because it gave me such a headache and turned my stomach with its overbearing saccharine. A good fragrance if you're the Aunt Bea type.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Overtly spicy and sweet. I don't loathe this fragrance, but I get tired of smelling it on someone an entire evening.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Exalted bathroom spray! An ostentatious guest that will not shut up. Super cloying. I once read that a famous Spanish classical music director wore too much of this stuff to the annoyance of the orchestra members. This fragrance has not aged well. It is too adamant in its impression, and too overbearing in its presence. Kouros does not morph into complexity, but rather remains a strident monolithic stench.
22nd September, 2008 (last edited: 21st March, 2010)

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Whom did they have in mind when they created this confection? Boucheron fragrances are very strangely composed. They seem unrefined; too sweet or too sharp. Do not wear this fragrance anywhere around bees, you'd really be asking for it.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

The first time I smelled Habit Rouge I was in shock. How could Guerlain come up with such a bright, loud and sickly-sweet fragrance? Pour Homme? Maybe for Willy Wonka. It is an one-dimensional fragrance in desperate need of revision. Perhaps some darker notes to tone down the cheap smelling rose, pimento and carnation. I cannot imagine a man wearing this in public, unless he's going to a taping of the Barney the Dinosaur Show.

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I enjoyed this fragrance when I tried it on the first time. After wearing it a few times, however, I realized how uninteresting the notes in it are. It's not bad, but I expect something much more refined and profound from a name like Dolce and Gabbana.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I have tried not to like this fragrance because it is so popular, but I haven't succeeded. It is a gorgeous medley of its notes. As beautiful as a "marine" fragrance can get. It deserves its popularity because it smells positively wonderful.

Antaeus by Chanel

A dark, delicious mysterious scent. Its powerful fragrance reveals itself in whiffs of exotic intensity. Refined and timeless, I cannot imagine not having this fragrance in my collection. The olfactory equivalent of indulging in the richest, creamiest perfect devil's food cake.

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Wow! Do fragrances get any purer or more delicious than this? Beautiful citrus surrounded by fragrant flowers. A lovely garden illuminated by the sun of a perfect Mediterranean day.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I have never understood the popularity of this cologne. It smells cheap and musty. I am reminded of the stench of the odious task I did with love; changing the litter in my cat's litter box. It has spawned many imitators, all as awful as the original.

Sunset Voyage by Nautica

I bought this for a very cheap price at TJ Maxx. It is pleasant enough, with sweet and spicy notes mitigated by a clear and cool essence. Not bad at all. Fair longevity.

Usher for Men by Usher

Dousing yourself with Pepto-Bismol would probably be wiser than wearing this brew, and you would be less offensive to those in your immediate surroundings. Nauseating.

Starwalker by Montblanc

This musty smelling disgrace should have been pulled off the shelves long ago. It smells like dirty dishwater left out for a week. Not fit for human or canine use. Avoid. Caveat Emptor.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Sheer utter beauty in a bottle. This fragrance is transcendent in its immediate enveloping feeling of the exotic, the tranquil and the nostalgic. The tenderest deja vu. It uplifts my mood when I wear it. Gorgeous musky and floral accords tempered by a slivery-smooth note. A masterpiece of its kind. It may smell feminine to some, but it is pure heaven to me. Olivier Polge is a magician.

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

There is a resemblance to Eau Sauvage, but this is denser and more intensely "ferny" and green. It has a glorious fresh bouquet upon application, and its sillage and longevity are average. Maybe others are more aware of it than I am. Even though it is a stunningly beautiful scent, it is more masculine than feminine, IMO. I have never smelled the original, but I cannot imagine it topping this.
21st September, 2008 (last edited: 08th May, 2010)

Metropolis by Estée Lauder

This fragrance is nearly impossible to find. I found an 11ml bottle for $15 in an obscure perfume shop. It is by far the best fragrance that Estee Lauder ever created. It is a bit medicinal, but the sage, peppermint, vetiver and other notes blend so beautifully that you don't really notice after you're wearing it. It is a sin that this wonderful tonic was ever discontinued. Please resurrect it!

Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

I purchased this based on the positive reviews on this site. While it does have some appealing notes, there is a funky, much too earthy note that disagrees with my chemistry.

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

This beautiful fragrance will never go out of style. I can still remember the first time I smelled this in a department store. I could not believe that anyone would have the nerve to create such a lovely and pure masculine fragrance. Timeless.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I have a friend who overdoes this vile liquid, and it is instantly nauseating; nasty, loud and vulgar. Suitable, perhaps, for a pimp in a garish bordello.
21st September, 2008 (last edited: 21st March, 2010)

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Very clean, a little sweet, but pleasant. Inexpensive, but not cheap smelling at all.

Bogner Man (version #2) by Bogner

I bought this at the Frankfurt airport about ten years ago. I can't find it anywhere now, and many people have never heard of it. It is a lovely, clean and fresh fragrance, very long lasting and potent in a good way. Worth seeking out.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

There are some fragrances that delight and tease the olfactory senses, and then there are obnoxious, stomach-churning concoctions such as this fragrance. Whoever the mad scientist that created this is, he/she should have served some prison time.