Reviews by SmellyNinja

Aventus by Creed

I'll admit I'm not a Creed Kool-Aid drinker. Something about many of their scents I either find off-putting, and the ones I do like are just too mature for me. But although it took a little time, this is the one that finally made me a fan. So much so that I actually ponied up for a bottle.

Some have commented on Aventus resembling Virgin Island Water. In spirit, I suppose. It's a well crafted, sweet, summer scent, but beyond that the two are nothing alike. Aventus is far more mature, powerful and rich, though it's sweetness gives it just enough of a playful side that the right guy under 40 could pull it off.

This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

06th August, 2011

Baldessarini Del Mar Marbella by Baldessarini

I really wanted to like this. It's hard to find in my neck of the woods, so there was nowhere to sample it, but based on input from some of the respected rewiewers here and other places, I was confident enough to blind buy a bottle. It sounded exactly like the kind of thing I was looking for. I'm really glad I only got the small bottle. Not that it's bad, but maybe my expectations were a bit different or too high. Maybe I just got a bad bottle.

A blast of almost sickly-sweet fruit and that's basically it. It immediately reminded of Calvin Klein Escape. Escape and I had our time together back in the mid 90s when I was a young pup, but that certainly isn't what I'm looking for in a scent now.

After a few hours it mellows out a bit and I actually don't mind it as much, but for me the destination just isn't worth the journey.

21st April, 2011 (Last Edited: 24th April, 2011)

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

Very masculine. A hint of that classic after shave smell. It's got a nice balance of sweet and warm, making it both mature but still energetic, and the hint of aquatic gives it a modern twist.

Del Mar is everyday wear for the mature man, or occassional wear for the younger man in a mature setting.

It's longevity and sillage are both pretty decent but as long as you don't drown yourself in it it's mild enough for any situation where you want to smell nice without offending anyone.

06th April, 2011 (Last Edited: 19th April, 2011)

Boss Orange Man by Hugo Boss

There's definitely some bias against Hugo Boss scents on this site, and while a lot of it is deserved, I sometimes wonder if some people just dismiss anything with the Boss label outright. I suspect if Hermes had launched this a lot more people might be falling all overthemselves to praise it. The way some of the naysayers describe Boss Orange, I wonder if they've even actually smelled it. There's certainly nothing orangey about it as some mention. Boss orange may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I can't imagine anyone thinking this actually smells bad. A fruity opening mellows into nice warm frankincense mid-notes. Finishes off with a woodsy-vanilla that's similar to D&G The One Gentleman, but not as musty. In other words - better. Great sillage and longevity - the sample lasted a good 8 hours on me and the the basenotes are still easily wafting off the card three days later.

11th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 12th March, 2011)

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

Not usually a big fan of the Boss line, but this one I like. Youthful and exciting, it's fresh without being lemony or ocean-y - unlike most of what I find out there today.

It's name fits - a blast of citrus and pepper right off the bat to wake you up in the morning. The opening almost reminds me a bit of Abercrombie Fierce (I could be wrong, it's been a while since I've been in one of their stores). It quickly settles down, leaving you with a pleasant and subtle sweetness that lasts a decent length of time and won't offend anyone.

Good for day of kicking around or a night out in the club. If you're one one of the under-forty crowd looking for a playful, casual scent, you could do worse.

02nd March, 2011

Vintage by John Varvatos

Could have been a real winner. Warm. Romantic. Mature. Sophisticated. All good words to describe this offering.

Sadly, as others confirm, it's gone within a couple hours.

01st February, 2011

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

One of the kings of the "pure" aquatics. Aqua isn't light and sandy Baha. This is rugged, Pacific Northwest shoreline. Clean. Cool. Dark. Refreshing. Organic.

Sadly, it's been imitated by hundreds of other lesser products, to the point where people will ask what kind of Axe Body Spray you're wearing.

13th January, 2011

Thallium by Jacques Evard

Starts off smelling like a hundred different fragrances and ends up smelling like a hundred different others.

Which isn't to say it's at all bad. It's a nice, light, fruity gourmand that lasts quite a while and is suitable for everyday wear. When you consider the price, it becomes even better.

If you're looking for something Joop-like, give this a try. Just don't get swindled paying full designer house price at a mall kiosk.

13th January, 2011

Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

The Justin Beiber of scents. Fresh and bold (or so they'd like you to think) at first sniff, but really just an androgynous little boy trying too hard to look cool.

The opening isn't all that bad actually - the pepper throws in a nice twist, but the whole thing fades away into nothing within an hour or so.

27th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 06th August, 2011)

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

Though not totally horrible, there isn't too much to like here. On first spray you do pick up hints of the original The One, and initially I thought it had some potential as a nice, warm, oriental that might be perfect for winter. Unfortunately as it continued into it's mid and base notes I just began to get irritated by it, like a sitting beside a person with nothing to say who never shuts up.

19th December, 2010

Summer Night by Canali

If you've tried Canali Black Diamond or Canali Men, you basically know what you're in for. Each of these fragrances share not only a similar, pyramid shaped bottle (and incidentally, Summer Night has the most striking bottle of the group), but also the rich, soapy leather backdrop. In fact, if you look at the ingredient lists for each, they're pretty similar from top to bottom.

Like a group of siblings, they all have their individual traits to go along with their commonalities. For its part, Summer Night is the younger, playful one of the bunch. With the pineapple and melon leading the way, it emphasizes its fruit tones while still maintaining an air of sophistication. It all comes together nicely into a mature, classy cocktail...letting people know that while you may appreciate the finer things, it doesn't mean you can't still have a bit of fun.

19th December, 2010

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Am I the only one who finds this a dead ringer for Azzaro Pour Homme? A mature, somewhat bold, slightly synthetic green scent. It may not be a masterpiece, but it's not nearly as aweful as some people here make it out to be. Certainly no one's going to tell you you stink with this on. Fairly linear with decent projection and good sillage, it's a safe and versatile scent. You could do a lot worse for a father's day gift or something similar.

15th June, 2010

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Haha...okay, yeah. This is pretty good.

Starts off slightly feminie with a creamy sweet fruit/floral mixture, then settles down into warm, smooth spice and wood scent that never gets too heavy. Very versatile. It's luxurious without being snobby and playful without being immature. It's subtle, with light sillage, so it could work at the office, but really perfect for a date or romantic evening when you plan to have someone close.

31st May, 2010

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

It's a decent gourmand comfort scent. Similar in vein to A*Men or Armani Diamonds, but with it's own unique highlights. Longevity, or lack of it, was a big issue for me.

22nd May, 2010 (Last Edited: 07th January, 2011)

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Aptly named, Light Blue is D&G's offering to the citrus/aquatic battle royale. Think Aqua di Gio, Versace Puor Homme, Allure Homme Sport, et al.

A few interesting notes give it its own twist, but for the most part this clone comes up short in all departments. Sillage and longevity are aweful.

13th March, 2010

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

The perfume counter lady threw a sample of this in the bag with my last purchase of something else. Admitedly I was completely surprised by it. Not what I was expecting at all. A very strong, candy-like apple/melon opening. It doesn't smell bad, mind you, but a little too feminine for me - but I could see some younger guys (or girls) enjoying it as pleasant, playful smell perfect for a casual summer afternoon or evening. I remember thinking on first whiff, "teenage girls would go crazy for this".

All too quickly it dries down into a subdued, fairly pedestrian wood/musk that stays close to the skin. Then quickly evaporating into nothing.

Could have been fantastic if they had spent a little more time and effort to make it at least last an average amount of time.

21st November, 2009 (Last Edited: 07th January, 2011)

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

The florals come off a little sharp to me to start, so at first I thought this would be much too feminine. Luckily once things settled down a little bit this really started to come alive as it dried down into a warm, spicy, woody musk.

This is one of those great scents that seems to be at home no matter the situation. It comes across as classy and elegant when paired with a suit and tie, but then can also feel casual and comfortable with just a t-shirt and jeans. It stays fairly close to the skin so it's safe to wear in close quarteres with others without worrying about blowing someone's socks off.

With cinnamon and nutmeg in the mix it's defnitely not a summer day scent, but it's a great choice for the cooler months.

10th November, 2009

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Though there are subtle differences, when you boil it down it's basically a smoother, lighter version of A*Men with a slightly boozy note. It stays close to the skin and I find it's longevity fleeting. Simply put; if you like A*Men, you'll probably like this. If you don't, you won't.

25th September, 2009

Versace Man by Versace

It took me a long time to warm up to this. The first few times I found it really off-putting...almost reminded me of cigar chopping old granny smell. Very smokey and peppery, with some heavy floral perfume thrown in. The notes just didn't seem to go well together at all. Strangely though, I couldn't deny that I found myself drawn back to it time over the course time, and eventually I started to warm up to it.

It's slightly synthetic; dare I say it's almost trashy - but in an intriguing, alluring way. Imagine a dingy little out-of-the-way, hole-in-the-wall, south-of-the-border cantina/brothel out of a movie; stinking of smoke and cheap perfume. If you're one of those guys that realize that those are the kinds of places you can have a ton of fun at, then this is you're type of scent.

Make no mistake this is an all or nothing, balls to the wall, sexy, bad boy fragrance and it makes no apologies for being so. It's not subtle in the least, so don't plan on wearing it to work or for out for beers with the boys, but it's right at home in a dark club when you're on the prowl.

Not for everyone, but give it a try and if you don't like it just put it back on the shelf and come back to it when you feel ready. Though not a mature scent, it's probably not something a young person could pull off. It's a good one to have in your collection, but buy the small bottle because it's probably not something you're going to wear all that often (unless of course you go to cheap, smelly cantina brothels all the time - in which case go ahead and buy the big bottle).

11th September, 2009

Only The Brave by Diesel

I started out thinking it was pretty good, but I've grown to dislike it. It's just all over the map and sickly sweet. Almost headache inducing. Starts off as a citrus/aquatic mixed with an accord I can only describe as "syropy", and doesn't doesn't change much after that.

21st June, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2011)

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

After trying the usual suspects, I've settled on this as my favorite gourmand. I find it a perfect warm, playful scent for winter. Though the name leaves me scratching my head, I find Diamonds to otherwise be a pretty smooth concoction. It's not synthetic, candy-like or too fruity, and there are no notes that come off as out of place. Every ingredient blends seamlessly into the other during the drydown which doesn't end up in a powdery mess like some others.

Some may call it pedestrian, but I like it for that very reason. Mature and youthful at the same time, it's safe and suitable for all but the most formal occassions. Longevity and silliage are surprisingly good even in when it's cool and dry outside.

10th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 06th January, 2011)

Versace pour Homme by Versace

A sweet citrus/aquatic. Similar to many other sweet aquatic scents out there but with this one you get a nice floral twist in the middle. Longevity and projection are quite good for a 'light' scent. If you're looking for something classy yet casual to wear in the summer, you could do a lot worse than this.

09th May, 2009

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Citrus mixed with a bit of chocolate, nuts and mint. Smells like Christmas. So much so I feel out of place wearing it any other time of the year. Women love chocolate, so it's no surprise this one is popular with the ladies. Perfect to wear to the company Christmas party.

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Not my cup of tea at all. Sweet like candy, this honestly remind me of the cola bottle gummies I used buy from the 7-11 when I was a kid. Just too over the top. It seems like something a teenage girl should be wearing. I've tried it a couple times hoping to warm up to it, but each time I just count the minutes until it fades away - which thankfully isn't that long on me.

Some people obviously like it, just make sure you try before you buy.

Himalaya by Creed

The name evokes imagery of snow-capped mountains, which is fitting as Himalaya is most at home in cooler weather. But unlike other scents well-suited for colder months, Himalaya's warmth has a distinct coolness that's just perfect for someone looking for a compromise between fresh summer frags and heavier, spicy scents.

It has a pleasant subtleness to it; clean and soapy citrus and woods are combined with the trademark Creed sweet metallic inkiness, yet not as pronounced as say, SMW or MI. It stays close to the skin and won't blow anyone's socks off, which makes it a great choice to wear at the office.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

I want to like this, but just can't. Too much metallic and ink. The softer floral and tea notes notes are lurking, but they're so far in the background. It mellows down a bit during the drydown, but unfortunately doesn't last too long on my skin.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Rich, warm, luxurious...these words describe BdP perfectly. A very mature, masculine scent. Reminds me of CK Obsession, though much, MUCH more refined.

It's a classic power scent. I envision men like Frank Sinatra or George Clooney wearing this with their tailored suits and $1000 shoes. I presently feel a little too young to pull this off, though it does give me one thing to look forward to as I grow older.

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

I guess I can see why some may not like it. It's not earth-shattering or anything. Still, if you're into the tropical-type fragrances but want to try something that doesn't remind you of suntan lotion, it might be worth a look. Too light to be worn in the evening, but just right if you're lounging on a tiki bar with a cold beverage on a hot summer day.

20th April, 2009

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

Decent casual oriental scent. It's not ground-breaking, but it's nice. Fresh and tropical, it's at home in warm climates. Something to wear while sitting on a patio drinking cocktails on hot summer day. Starts off a little citrusy, then the ginger and vanilla/suede mellow everything out and make it a nice alternative to all the lemon and orange 'fresh' summer frags out there.

I've had a love-hate relationship with this one. I loved it the first time I tried it, but the honeymoon ended quickly. Now I'm starting to think maybe we can be 'just friends' that hang out once in a while. Interesting to note that though I seldom wear it, it never fails to get compliments from the ladies, so there's something to be said for that I guess. I'm also pleasantly surprised by it's longevity; after a morning application I can still catch fleeting wisps of it well into the evening.

14th March, 2009 (Last Edited: 27th March, 2010)

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Starts off sweet and slightly spicy and ends with an amber, woody base. It's very subtle - perfect for a night romantic evening when you want to be up close and personal, but the low sillage keeps it from being a good club scent. Longevity is average. A great for cold months.

You can make an "Intense" version by adding a little squirt of D&G Pour Homme.

04th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 25th January, 2011)