Reviews by kewart

kewart's avatar
    kewart

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

I have just tried this one in a department store - new release, I believe! Seems very "green" at first and quite fresh and uplifting. Not a great deal of lasting power and the drydown is fairly bland. A good everyday scent for the office, maybe.

26th September, 2006

Présence d'Une Femme by Montblanc

My sister sent me a small bottle of this for my birthday, because she thought it smelled like a feminine version of Jean Paul Gaultier's Le male, which I had raved about when her partner wore it at a wedding. She wasn't wrong! It is a sensuous, warm scent which dries down beautifully and is quite similar to Shalimar as well.

16th September, 2006

L'Infante by Divine

This is a truly unique fragrance that literally makes my heart sing. It takes me to an ancestoral home, where huge arrangements of white flowers are intertwined with ivy. I walk down marble corridors and glimpse ballrooms and sumptuous dining rooms through half-open doors. I presume the name refers to the Spanish Infanta rather than a child (enfant) because it certainly isn't a childish smell. Very pretty top notes of Chinese jasmine, peony, blackcurrant leaves and ivy which are underlined with vanilla, tonka bean and musk.
    Almost unbearably atmospheric.

31st August, 2006

Divine by Divine

This perfume is made in Dinard, Brittany. The Perfumer is Yvon Mouchel.
    Divine is a very grown-up, very French perfume. It begins quite "full-on", but soon mellows into a sophisticated, elegant scent made up of:-
    Peach,Indian Tuberose,May Rose,Gardenia,Coriander,Oak Moss,
    Vanilla, Musk and Spices.
    I would recommend this for evening, formal wear by a woman who is sure of herself.Great sillage.

15th August, 2006

Cristobal by Balenciaga

This is a new discovery and it has slowly crept up on me and bewitched me.
    The fig and jasmine top notes are really beautiful without being the least bit cloying, since the vanilla base keeps it grounded and warm.
    When I wear this I feel "good in my skin". as the French would say.

06th August, 2006

Tomato by Demeter Fragrance Library

I found this surprisingly wearable and uplifting. It's a perfect summer garden party scent. It has quite good lasting power and puts a spring in my step whenever I spritz it!

01st August, 2006

Lys Méditerranée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This is a real top drawer scent. I love lilies and orange flower anyway, so this is just perfect to my nose plus a whisper of angelica and musk. It seems to float in the air around you like a cloud of makes you feel like you are in a field of white lilies all day long. A true masterpiece from Edouard Flechier.

18th June, 2006

Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This is a captivating scent that creeps up on you and leaves you in awe of it's quiet unassuming beauty. Like a "jeune fille serieuse" it commands respect and encourages introspection and devotion. It stays very close to the skin, lingering there like a long-forgotten memory. I would wear this anywhere that required a little restraint and graciousness - ideal for a wedding for example, or a visit to the in-laws. It's not a "come and get me" perfume, but rather one that suggeststhe wear iser worth getting to know gradually - worth the wait in other words!! it is very expensive, but worth saving up for.

18th June, 2006

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

I took a while to warm to this heady, spicy scent, but now appreciate it's charms. The opening is reminiscent of a clove-studded peach whilst the drydown is both sultry and contemplative. You need to be quite a confident person to pull this one off, I suspect,- it is certainly not for the faint-hearted. You would need to be wearing high heels and a red cashmere sweater to carry it off (metaphorically speaking.) I definitely see it as an evening scent, not necessarily just in colder weather. It would come alive on a warm summer's night just as effectively. The only disappointment is the cheap, uninspiring bottle. This one definitely needs a re-vamp.

17th June, 2006

Quimbaya Femme by Jean Pascal

Quimbaya Femme is a pleasant, fruity floral, but I didn't think it was anything special. I mainly detect mango and pear to begin with followed by
    a powdery touch of violet and hints of other flowers (mimosa, jasmine and magnolia apparently). There is certainly nothing to dislike about this one, but I like a perfume with a bit more personality.

24th May, 2006

Shalimar Light by Guerlain

I am bowled over by the soft, creamy loveliness of this scent. Beautiful for a spring/Summer's day it will lift your spirits and make you feel totally gorgeous. The luminosity of the bergamot and jasmine notes is truly breathtaking.

20th May, 2006

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I have only tried a small sample of this scent and may need time to "get" it. It strikes me as rather heavy and somewhat masculine at first sniff. I would perhaps wear it to a funeral or other such solemn occasion, but to me it is rather a joyless creation. Certainly not a mood -lifter and just too dark and melancholy for my taste.

01st April, 2006

Love In White by Creed

This is a fabulous scent! I haven't been as excited by a new perfume in ages.The magnolia and jasmine are gorgeous and the whole melange seems to reek of class and purity. So nice to know that a portion of each sale is going to UNESCO - hope it's a large portion. I would feel confident wearing this for any occasion, although to me it says weddings or summer balls.
    I've always loved the minimalism of white flowers and this Creed composition is a tribute to their bewitching elegance.

30th March, 2006

Casaque by Long Lost Perfume

This was originally by Jean d'Albret, and was the first perfume I fell in love with, when I spent a year in france as an Assistante. I remembered it as very feminine and floral with an aura about it that made me feel special. Long lost perfumes has almost captured the original scent, but the magic wasn't there for me and the bottles they use are boring! Still a lovely, flowery scent, but not like the first time for me.

22nd March, 2006 (Last Edited: 08th April, 2008)

Roma by Laura Biagiotti

This lovely fragrance comes in a beautiful bottle shaped like a roman column and is a tribute to Laura Biagiotti's home town of Rome.
    It begins with uplifting notes of mint, bergamot and blackcurrant bud which are soon joined by floral notes (Lily of the valley, Jasmine, Rose)
    before mingling with a definite note of balsam (reminiscent of the hills behind the city). Base notes include patchouli, musk and sandalwood. The sillage is excellent and this perfume will get you loads of compliments. Not everybody will be wearing it either, despite it's reasonable price.

11th March, 2006

Lea by Lea St Barth

This isn't distinctive enough on my skin. It produces a "barely there" whisper of vanilla- scented almond. Almost the sort of scent a child could wear.

06th March, 2006

Mimosaïque by Nicolaï

This captures the true smell of a mimosa tree perfectly. I remember buying a few sprigs of Mimosa,to cheer up the room I was renting in Alsace, and am transported back there every time I spray this on. It is a very distinctive smell and not to everyone's taste, but I love this Nicolai version. Anise lends a spicy note and I suspect other floral notes are in here too. The sillage is not wonderful, but just keep topping it up -it is so uplifting and refreshing!

06th March, 2006

Mauboussin by Mauboussin

This is a little gem! An initial fruity burst of sparkling bergamot, mandarin and peach gently melds with a floral bouquet of ylang ylang and jasmine then finally relaxes into a warm blend of amber, patchouli and precious woods.
    This perfume makes me feel happy and revitalised.
    It is like a precious stone that slowly reveals its many glittering facets; Mauboussin is also a jewellers in Paris, which may explain the connection. Try it - you won't be disappointed I'm sure.

03rd March, 2006

Héliotrope Blanc by Piver

I found a bottle of this in my local TKMaxx for a ridiculous price (£8.00). It was a revelation!! I already love the smell of heliotrope - warm and almondy, but this is also tinged, albeit very faintly, with ylang ylang and jasmine. The initial floral notes die down to a warm vanilla/almond/baby powder mixture. I love to wear this to work, as it is very subtle and not at all obtrusive. Doesn't last too long on me - a few hours, but at this price I can re-apply it often. All in all a gorgeous, feminine scent.

02nd March, 2006

Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond / Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma

This is a lovely,pampering scent with notes of vanilla, cedar wood, bergamot, lavender and almond. It has a calming effect as soon as you spay it on and contains a variety of essential oils renowned fo their ability to relax. It is subtle and gorgeous in a gentle way.

20th February, 2006

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

I adore the scent of almonds so this is nectar to my nose! Very sexy, warm and comforting. I detect honey,dates,rose, vanilla and a woodiness there too. What an amazing combination!! This could be the one I've been waiting for....
    Edit (update) I have now tried the Eau Poudree version of Loukhoum and love it even more than the original.
    It is all pink, fluffy goodness - a totally pampering, comforting scent that will have people fighting to hug you!
    Wear it with pink marabou slippers and a pink silk dressing gown.

20th February, 2006 (Last Edited: 18th February, 2010)

Hot Couture by Givenchy

Received this as a Valentine's day gift from my husband. It is very unusual, fruity and flirty.
    Raspberry dominates at first , but then I detect the pepper and vanilla. Truly a memorable scent from a great perfume house.

14th February, 2006

Miranda by Fragonard

Tried this whilst visiting Grasse last summer. It is just like a day on a tropical beach - coconut predominantly, but some other notes in there of vanilla and tropical flowers. Apparently
    men go mad for it!! Definitely one for the summer hols.

Eau Dynamisante by Clarins

I love to wear this uplifting fragrance at work. It seems to say "professional" and is a very clean, lemony/herbal eau de toilette. Working with children I have to be careful what I wear, as they don't hold back with the comments!!Thyis always gets a good reaction i.e. "you smell nice Miss!" A great pick-me-up.

cK one by Calvin Klein

I wore this as a perfume novice and got good reactions (mainly from men). Now I have a more refined nose (how pretentious is that?) I find it a little too vulgar and cloying.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Have you seen Amelie(the film)? This is Paris in a bottle. Love the pink colour packaging -very girlie- and the overiding smell of roses. It's a bit on the powdery side for me, but I wear it occasionally none the less. Good garden party scent.

Vent Vert (new) by Pierre Balmain

I have just ordered a miniature bottle of Vent Vert off e-bay, to see if I liked it. Not only do I like it,I must say I am blown away by this one! Definitely a spring/summer scent, but beautifully subtle and slightly reminiscent of Jicky(Guerlain). The fragrance of newly-mown grass and clary sage(which I know well from my essential oils)are dominant to begin with, but it dries down to a creamier, peachy sandalwood.
    Absolutely love it!

Angel Garden Of Stars - The Lily Angel by Thierry Mugler

This is my favourite comfort scent (like the perfume equivalent of a child's snuggle blanket).
    It is totally feminine and sweet, but would only wear it on special dates. Have never tried the original Angel so can't compare it with that.

Jardin Clos by Diptyque

I love this floral beauty. Just like a garden in early spring with lilac and hyacinths. Very unusual and haunting.

Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

This is the ultimate summer scent. It is very fresh and gallic in a chic kind of way. I love the subtle blend of lemon and herbs(basil?)This is perfect for innocent young things.