Reviews by zoghbi

Canoé by Dana

Two notes. Very Linear.
Baby powder and cotton candy.
Of all the fine fragrances that have been discontinued, this one is still alive?
10th October, 2014

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I was introduced to Grey Flannel back in the early eighties and I have always kept a bottle on hand ever since.
If you have not yet tried it, do yourself a favor and do so. Now. I mean it.
You are welcome.
04th October, 2014 (last edited: 03rd October, 2014)

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

This is a Jekyll and Hyde fragrance.
Up front, this is enjoyable and unique with good sillage. Other reviewers with a better nose than mine, have the notes described accurately. But during the drydown, The sillage drops precipitously and the top notes disappear just as quickly.
The second half is a floral and somewhat feminine melange of the mid and base notes. The mids are not quite as pronounced as they should be, and they never quite disappear enough to reveal a distinct base note layer.
Both halves are rather linear respectively and completely enjoyable in their own right. I do not believe that I have ever come across a fragrance quite as schizophrenic as this one.
The comparisons to Grey Flannel are a bit odd in my opinion. GF is one of my go-to fragrances and I just do not see it.
The uniqueness of Narciso Rodriguqez earns it an extra star.
03rd October, 2014

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

To my nose this is very similar to Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. Yet, there is more going on here. I will posit a bit more floral. Office wear meets the after-hour cocktail crowd.
Sillage is strong but not brutish and the longevity is phenomenal. The base notes take on a slight feminine note without losing the masculine. My mental picture is a beautiful woman wearing her man's shirt the next morning.
This is my wife's current favorite from my collection.
01st October, 2014