Reviews by DawnLady

Lyric Woman by Amouage

This is a lovely, slightly sharp, spicy rose fragrance. Very elegant and high quality. It stays quite close to the skin on me, and lasts reasonable well, though nowhere near as long as Gold and Dia unfortunately. Definitely recommended to all lovers of rose fragrances.
27th March, 2009

My Insolence by Guerlain

I absolutely agree with Ms Rochambeau. This is actually a very nice fragrance, but there are so many others like this by so many fashion- and fad-oriented designers. I think it is a shame that a company that produces such enduring classics as Shalimar and Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleu, and such masterpieces as Vol de Nuit and Apres L'Ondee, should also feel the need to produce these mass-market fragrances. But, I suppose they bring in the money!
06th March, 2009

Dia Woman by Amouage

Such a ladylike fragrance! It makes me feel elegant and classy and special, and makes me want to dress and behave appropriately when wearing it - definitely not a perfume for clubbing or pubbing!

I do find the aldehydes a bit overpowering at first, so it is wise to apply with restraint and quite a while before going out to allow the fragrance time to settle. Then just enjoy being surrounded by a softly-fragranced feminine cloud for the rest of the day - always definitely present but never loud or obtrusive. Very nice indeed!
26th February, 2009

Opoponax / Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides

Absolutely gorgeous - rich, spicy, sweet, comforting, long lasting. And such amazing value - this smells and wears like something way, way more expensive than it is. Fantastic!
22nd January, 2009

Aimez-Moi by Caron

This reminds me so much of Guerlain's Apres L'Ondee - both are gentle and melancholic and haunting and beautiful. I usually don't like violet, but in these it is so well blended, and fits so well with the anise, that it works perfectly to create an aura of calm and tranquility. I can't say which I like best - the Guerlain is perhaps more refined and more melancholic, while Aimez Moi is slightly brighter and more optimistic and more floral - but both are masterpieces. Lovely.
19th January, 2009

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I tried this in a perfume shop, and thought it was so lovely that I ordered a full bottle. When the bottle arrived, though, I was disappointed. It smells of musc - strong musc - and not really anything else. I think that when I tried it in the shop I must have been wearing something else, or tried some other sample, that added to this, making is seem so nice and interesting. Now, though, I realise that it is not as good as the tender, delicate Musc Bleu by Il Profumo, and doesn't even come close to the absolutely gorgeous Royal Muska by M Micallef (why isn't this one on Basenotes?), and I regret buying in such haste. On the plus side, you only need a small amount and it does last well.
11th January, 2009

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

This is so gentle, refined, mysterious, uncommon - and so beautifully blended. I initially thought that it was not something I would want to wear, though I could immediately sense its quality. But there is something strange and haunting about it that keeps me coming back to it - I think it is the aniseed, which I can detect throughout, though no one note ever really dominates. Although subtle on application it lasts for ages on my skin - one good spray in the morning and I can still clearly detect it when I go to bed. I would recommend sampling this one on its own, so it is not overwhelmed by other coarser and more powerful scents, to be able to appreciate its subtlety and beauty.
15th December, 2008

Jewels of Blu by Miriam Mirani - Aqaba

Very pretty, fuity, but mature, perfume which mellows into a lovely sensual, soft vanilla-tinted drydown. The only problem is this just doesn't last on me - after half an hour I can hardly detect it at all. I like my perfumes to last at least a few hours, so I would not consider buying it, which is a shame because it is lovely.
13th December, 2008

Artemisia by Penhaligon's

This is very light after the first blast - literally 'barely there' - but it is pretty. It develops into a soft, powdery, gentle, slightly oriental fragrance which lasts much longer than I expected it too. Lovely if you don't like overpowering perfumes or don't want to annoy anyone, but you do need to apply quite a lot if you want to notice it at all (unless that is just my bottle or my nose!)
13th December, 2008

Louve by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I have to be in the right mood for this one. I actually like the initial strong bitter almond, which later settles down and gently mingles with the fruit, vanilla and amber notes, though the almond and sweetness still predominate. I find it lasts a long time on my skin - still definitely present after 9-10 hours. Sometimes I find it soothing and comforting - but other times I just find it too sweet and a bit sickly, so I won't be buying a full bottle. Definitely worth a try, though.
03rd December, 2008

Angelique Noire by Guerlain

I found this one really surprising. When I first sprayed it on it seemed very green and slightly unpleasant to me, and my first impression was that I would not like it at all. But the greenness very quickly subsided, and, the first surprise, I began to realise that I did like it - in fact I liked it a lot. I have no idea what angelica smells like, and would find it difficult to describe this fragrance. It retains a slightly green note in the background and is very gentle - no sharpness or flowers or fruitiness to my nose, but an refined, expertly blended whole. I am surprised that it is classed as a feminine fragrance because I can't say it strikes me as being in any way feminine or masculine. I would say it was completely neutral, and would be appropriate for any relatively mature, dignified person.

I assumed that because the fragrance was so gentle it would not last, but the next surprise was that it lingers for hours! It is never loud or obtrusive, never likely to annoy or overpower, it just maintains a subtle, but very definite, presence. If you want a perfume that announces your arrival or makes a big statement, this will not be what you are looking for, but if you want a subtle, refined fragrance which you are gently aware of, and seems to become almost part of you, this one is definitely worth a try. I just wish it was easier to obtain. A credit to Guerlain.
28th November, 2008

Cuir Beluga by Guerlain

Oooh - this is just gorgeous - so soft, sensual, enveloping. It doesn't smell like leather to me, so don't be put off if you think leather scents are not for you. The vanilla, heliotrope and I think the immortelle just blend so perfectly that it is reminiscent of the feel of a beautiful, soft suede against the skin rather than the smell. So luxurious and comforting - I want a big bottle (or two)!
27th November, 2008 (last edited: 06th December, 2008)

Cornubia by Penhaligon's

This is sweet, but also much spicier than I expected from the notes. I find it quite strong at first, and need to apply a small amount only - otherwise it is too much. Unlike some of the Penhaligon's it lasts and lasts, and the vanilla in the drydown is fabulous - on a par with Shalimar and Chanel's No 22 (though these perfumes could not be more different). I would definitely recommend trying this one with caution - the drydown is worth waiting for!
26th November, 2008 (last edited: 13th December, 2008)

Shalimar by Guerlain

One of my all time favourites - I never tire of this one. I always imagine this on some exotic, dark beauty in some far away place - so I am not sure it really suits me (I am a very fair, mid 40s, quite shy lady who does not like to attract attention!) But I don't care - I love the vanilla drydown of this so much that I wear it often for dinners out with my partner, and sometimes just to enjoy when I am at home on my own. I have tried so many fragrances, but very few have the character and staying power and mystery of this one. An absolute classic!
26th November, 2008

No. 22 by Chanel

This is strange, because I really don't like jasmine and I am not too fond of ylang ylang or rose, but this is one of my very favourite perfumes. It is so expertly blended that no one note dominates, and the overall effect is one of refined, feminine elegance. I don't find the aldehydes to be overpowering, and the vanilla in the drydown is to me one of the best in the perfume world. Although expensive, you really do only need a tiny amount, and it lasts for ages (even on my skin). Definitely a perfume for a mature, elegant women - this really is class in a bottle!

26th November, 2008 (last edited: 06th December, 2008)

Parfum Sacré by Caron

This is gorgeous for autumn and winter. Spicy and comforting and elegant without being overpowering - I can wear it day or night, and it is one of the few perfumes that lasts well on my skin. Highly recommended!
26th November, 2008

Belle Epoque by Knize

This is just lovely. A fruity floral that has a gentle, elegant, classy presence without being sickly sweet or cloying, and has good staying power. At first I am mainly aware of the fruit, particularly peach and pear, and then it gradually becomes more floral. I seem to detect violets, which is strange because I usually detest violets, but this is so subtle and well blended that it really works for me. A world apart from a lot of the modern mass-produced fruity floral scents which are pretty but have little character and even less longevity. I got a sample of the EDT and loved it so much that I instantly ordered a bottle of the EDP. I think that the EDP is worth the extra cost, because you only need to use a little, and it lasts really well (on me at least). This is the most expensive perfume I have ever bought a full bottle of for myself but I have no regrets - very highly recommended!
18th November, 2008

Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne

This reminds me of Chanel's No 19 - not because it smells like it (it doesn't) - but because, like No 19, I can immediate appreciate how expertly blended and well made this is. The notes just seem to naturally fit together, creating a shimmering, coherent perfume that is a work of art and genius, and very individual. And yet I don't actually like it, and wouldn't want to wear it. I certainly don't find it unpleasant, or overpowering, or cloying - it doesn't make me sneeze or my eyes run - it just doesn't appeal to me and it is not the way I want to smell. Try before you buy, because it is expensive.
17th November, 2008

Nocturnes by Caron

This is lovely - subtle, classy and feminine. I find the perfume to be beautifully blended - no notes dominate to me - and quite linear - it just gets softer with time and the initial (very gentle) aldehydes fade. It is suitable to wear anywhere - in crowded places I don't need to worry about it overwhelming anyone, yet it feels special and romantic enough for an expensive meal out. One of my very favourites.
17th November, 2008

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

I wanted to love this one, after reading so much about it, but I really didn't like it at all. When I first sprayed a little on, I thought it smelt quite pretty, but not very strong, so I applied some more. This was a big mistake. It then became overwhelmingly strong to me - reminding me of the smell of violets which I really don't like. I tried to wash it off, but just could not get rid of it. I was aware of it all day, and felt embarassed in the presence of others in case they thought I wanted to smell like that! It gave me a headache and made me feel queezy - I definitely will not try it again (though I would have to give it top marks for staying power!) I would definitely recommend trying this with caution if you are prone to headaches or nausea.
17th October, 2008 (last edited: 26th November, 2008)

Spellbound by Estée Lauder

This one is way too strong for me. I don't get the vanilla or fruits or flowers - just overwhelming spiciness which makes my eyes and nose run and gives me an instant headache. Like other reviewers I would certainly advice caution, because if you are in any way sensitive this one is likely to make you ill.
08th October, 2008

Mediterranean Breeze by Elizabeth Arden

I quite like Mediterranean Breeze. It is a bit fresher and sharper than Mediterranean, and I think it has more character. Unfortunately it does not last very long, but it is very pleasant for casual wear, and so I am giving it a thumbs-up.

Mediterranean by Elizabeth Arden

This is a pleasant, fruity, slightly sweet fragrance which is not overpowering, and it is difficult not to like it. However, it doesn't seem to last very long on me - a couple of hours at most. I would not want it to smell stronger - just to last longer.

Poême by Lancôme

I think that this is a lovely fragrance, but I cannot wear it. It makes my eyes run, my nose prickle, and makes me sneeze. Such a shame! I find this with a lot of perfumes (including all the ones I have tried by Lancome), and I can't seem to figure out which ingredients cause the problem - it is just a case of trial and (expensive) error! I am giving Poeme a thumbs-up anyway, because it smells so nice.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

Tresor smells really nice, but unfortunately I cannot wear it - it makes me sneeze and my eyes run. I wish I could though - it is very elegant and feminine

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

I really like the smell of this - very soft and feminine - but for some reason it makes my eyes and nose run, so I can't wear it in confined spaces. Shame!

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

I think that this smells really nice and fresh, but it just doesn't last. After 30 mins I can't smell a thing, so I can't give it a thumbs-up.

True Love by Elizabeth Arden

I find True Love a very pleasant, but not particularly distinctive fragrance. It is feminine and romantic, and certainly shouldn't offend anyone. But there is nothing really special about it. Also it doesn't last very long on me. I don't know about it being discontinued - it seems to be on sale everywhere here in the UK.

Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden

I don't like this at all - I find it quite strong and it just smells like a generic perfume with no character of its own. It is definitely not for me.

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

When I first sprayed this on, I found it very overpowering. It immediately made my eyes run, made me sneeze, and I could feel a headache coming on - to me it smelt incredibly strong and spicy. I tried to wash it off, but just couldn't get rid of the smell - I decided that this would be another one to sell on e-bay!
But after about an hour it began to settle down, and the lovely soft vanilla began to come through. After another hour I couldn't stop sniffing my wrist (without any adverse reactions) - it smelt so enticing - soft and comforting - and this lovely phase seemed to last for hours.

Now I love Addict, but I am very careful how I apply it. I try to apply it very sparingly, and do not take any big sniffs until it has settled down. I tend to spray it on just before I go outside, so I don't get too overwhelmed by the initial powerful burst. It is worth it for the lovely, lingering vanilla phase after the perfume has settled down. I would highly recommend this perfume, but use it sparingly, and if you are prone to allergies or asthma, be careful.