Reviews by jenniemic

D&G L'Amoureaux 6 by Dolce & Gabbana

I wish this scent had something more: it is nice, but it never surpasses good. As a female, I didn't feel overpowered by a masculine scent, and I enjoyed that unisex quality. I feel like it would be a nice scent to wear at night, but I wish it had more of an edge or more darkness to it. It is a subtle scent; it doesn't have a ton of sillage. Overall, a nice scent, but not purchase-worthy.
28th December, 2010

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I want to like this perfume, and it isn't that I find it bad. Of the reviews that I've read (here and elsewhere), I haven't found anyone else who shares my opinion of the scent. On my skin, Black Orchid is completely linear. I've sampled it three times now, and I don't notice a change from the top notes to the base notes. If I had to pick one dominant note, I would say gardenia (and I adore gardenia). I also notice the vanilla and patchouli, and they work well with the gardenia. But somehow this perfume misses the mark: I wish it would evolve on my skin, I wish it had a little extra oomph, or that it was a tad darker. It does have amazing lasting power on me (and not too many perfumes do). I do agree with other reviewers that the bottle itself seems a tad cheap.
09th August, 2009

Palazzo by Fendi

This perfume is my current favorite. I don't understand some of the negative reviews that have been posted with regard to this scent because I'm not smelling the same thing (for example I don't smell anything "astringent")! It is pretty strong at first, but after about 20 minutes it isn't overpowering or too strong. I'm not a fan of Angel (although I do love Lolita Lempicka) and I don't smell any similarities between Palazzo and Angel on my skin. I could, however, understand someone for faulting it for being too sweet in its opening. I absolutely love the woody-orange top notes, and I would love to find more similar fragrances. The jasmine and rose become more pronounced during the drydown as the scent becomes softer and more powdery. When I'm wearing this I feel amazing.

Marc Jacobs by Marc Jacobs

Gardenia is my favorite flower and favorite single, natural scent. This perfume perfectly captures it in all its beauty. It's heavy, and I would only recommend it for evening wear. The memorable reactions I have had to it are "Whoa, that's really strong" and "Someone [clearly me] smells like my aunt." I still love it though!

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

I love this perfume for when I feel like a light citrus-y scent. Unfortunately, I ran out and couldn't find a local retailer. I was surprised to find Light Blue so similar and purchased it in lieu of EdA. Sadly, the few differences between the perfumes make EdA a much better scent.

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

This is a pretty decent perfume. To me, it's very, very sweet and musky, and there isn't much development over the life of the perfume. It does have amazing longevity as it lasts longer on me than any other perfume I've ever tried. I like wearing it occasionally, but I probably wouldn't buy it again.

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

Very Irresistible is a fairly simple EdT: it's one-dimensional with only the roses being developed, but that's why I bought it and that's why I like it! I wear it when I want to feel girly and outgoing (hope that makes sense).

Emporio Armani She by Giorgio Armani

I bought this one impulsively and regret it. I was attracted to the spicier notes, but they don't last and it begins to smell powdery in a way that I don't like. I sadly can't identify the notes I don't like, but they manifest themselves as it begins to dry down. Now that I own it, I don't even like the opening notes. The fragrance just seems muddled to me.

Magnetism by Escada

I have to agree with other users that this fragrance is too one-dimensional. It's very sweet but lacks substance. A much better perfume that is kind of similar is Lolita Lempicka, which I love.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

If you like this scent but wish it were slightly different, try Eclat d'Arpege by Lanvin. It's very similar but better, in my opinion.

Brit by Burberry

Brit is the only perfume of which I have bought two bottles. Even with that I don't think it's an amazing perfume, just a solid one. The perfumes that I tend to like are pretty strong, and if I want something to wear that's nice but doesn't stand out too much I choose this one. I agree that it is very comforting to wear.

Burberry for Women by Burberry

I bought this early on in my addiction, and really wanted to love it. Sadly, there is a lingering smell of soap in it to me. If you remember the way that bubble-blowing liquid soap solutions smells, that is what I'm talking about. The other notes smell nice, and it seems to be well made.