Reviews by Truffles

Truffles's avatar
    Truffles

Sans Adièu by Worth

Hmm, now this is very aftershavey.
    In fact, it reminds me VERY much of Dior Eau Savage.
    A bright lemony heart which persisted and grew on me in the wearing.
    Might hold on to this one.

Vers Toi by Worth

A strange smell..
    Peppery/sandy and with that unfortunate seemingly modern Worth heart-note of plastic.
    Not one I'll keep.

Vers le Jour by Worth

I bought a modern edition set of 5 'love poem' perfumes all originally by the same Worth 'nose', cheap on Ebay. It's quite sweet because the perfume names make a little 'poem'.
    I actually like the little glass bottles and find them quite kitsch!
    Unfortunately though, THIS PERFUME IS TRULY AWFUL!
    A screaming, fake, one note thing - wet something floral - ?narcissus. UGH.
    Very very cheap smelling. Highly not recommended.

Botanical Essence No. 1 by Liz Earle

Agree completely with dori! On first wearing I got Eau Dynamisante, followed by Ma Griffe. I think Botanical Essence ends up very much like O de Lancome though. A smoother version without the almost spicy note (basil?) that puts me off O de Lancome.
    I know Botanical Essence has had roughly 50/50, love/hate, mixed reviews.
    I am in the love camp and will get a big bottle soon after a big clearout of most of my too-chemical perfumes.

17th March, 2010

Far Away by Avon

Absolutely vile. I worked in a hospital once and one of the nurses used to spray it inside the top of her dress and whenever there were any horrible smells wafting around she would bury her nose in this perfume. From one horrible smell to another! I would lump this perfume into the 'Eternity' category, I simply can't see what is appealing about it.

14th September, 2009

Nocturnes by Caron

I smelled a sample of this in the 80s and always remembered it for it's lovely 'grassiness'. I bought some recently by mail order (it's hard to get hold of by any other method) and on spraying recognised it pleasantly at once. The top notes are beautiful and remind me very much of the much missed original Armani for women perfume. However Nocturnes dries down to a horrible 'dirty wang' (to borrow the brilliant phrase that another Basenoter has used (why, why???!!) to describe Agent Provocateur) on me. There's a hint of something carnation or lily like there that just spoils it for me. I'm going to try wearing this perfume again once the weather turns really cold, it may work better then.

03rd September, 2009

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

Hmm, just got a sample of this through. Smells dated to me, reminds me very much of YSL Paris which was much loved in the 80s. Not unpleasant though just don't think I'll be buying or wearing it.

03rd August, 2009

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Love this. Individual, clean and subtle.

1881 by Cerruti

I don't like the female counterpart at all but this is a very nice warm, clean citrusy smell. Smells expensive but is actually dirt cheap to buy in the UK.

Nuit d'Orchidee by Yves Rocher

Haven't smelled this for years but loved the smell and loved the bottle. A friend had it, but before I could get some it became another that was very sadly discontinued.

1000 Kisses Deep by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

On opening the little bottle I briefly got a whiff of something a bit like 4711. I applied some to my wrist and got a thin sort of lemon smell. Very quickly a strange plasticy or burnt note emerged. Just as I was thinking that this is just another B Never too Busy clunky, clumsy mix, it matured into something very interesting - something sweet, beautiful, delicate and haunting. It made me think of peat fires and of my Granny and Grandad who were married for a very long time (looks like the perfumer's aim worked then, looking at the site). Ivy plants also came to mind for some reason (?). Once again, that B Never too Busy staple, jasmine, made a late appearance. Overall, I'd summarise this as an interesting and unique scent, just not one that I would want ON me. (Sorry, can't do italics here!). I'm wavering between neutral and thumbs down, OK I think it has a bit more sophistication than some of the other scents from B so neutral it is.

Cocktail by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

An aggressive opener of Germolene and B Never too Busy fave - jasmine. Settles to just Germolene, and the Germolene never gets any weaker. Just awful.

B Scent by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Lapsang souchong tea and antiseptic cream. Hit by this first vile assault, I want to scrub the offensive mix away. But wait.. before I can, it's transformed into mouldy orange peel with an edge of forty year old talcum powder. There's something almost pleasant about this latter stage - but not pleasant enough for me not to give this mix a thumbs down.

Keep It Fluffy by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

A simple, sickly, nothing. Not for me.

Two Hearts Beating As One by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

One big fake jasmine smell. Strangely, it finally fades to a whisper of orange peel. Which would be nice if it wasn't just a hint at the end of the wearing.

Love by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

I don't get apple pie at all. Starts with a HUGE wonderful great zing of lemon, soon joined by a hint of those pyramid-shaped little pastel boiled sweets - perfumed bonbons I think they were called. This quickly mutates into bubblegum, yes bubblegum, with a hint of some sort of 'skin' smell, maybe skin that's been rolling around in sand. Again quite quickly, a strong jasmine note pushes it's way through the bubblegum and remains dominant for the rest of the wearing. I would sum this scent up as LEMONS, followed by BEACH overall, I think that people who like 'beachy' scents would probably like this. I did get the word 'innocent' coming to mind quite strongly when I first tried this perfume. Overall I think this is an uplifting scent, it's strange too, but I like it.

No Debate by Body Shop

Can't describe the smell now but just remember that this was gorgeous. Didn't have a boyfriend at the time so bought it for a male friend as it was just so good it was begging to be bought! Such a shame it was discontinued and also such a shame the Body Shop did away with the stand they used to have in their stores with all the big glass bottles of perfume oils with glass dipping sticks for trying. They were magical.

Coleen by Coleen McLoughlin

Horrible bottle. Thought I might like it because it was touted as citrus. Synthetic, cheap, for modern teenage chavsters.

15th June, 2009

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

Hmm. Was dying to try this as have heard so much raving about it. Disappointingly spicy, cheap and jarring to my nose. Can't see what all the fuss is about, big thumbs down.

15th June, 2009

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent

Wearing a sample of this today. It reminds me a bit of Gucci II. It's not offensive but to me there's nothing classy or expensive about the smell and it's typical of a lot of modern perfumes. It's a bit too sweetie/fruity for me so I won't be buying it.

01st June, 2009

Armani by Giorgio Armani

This was gorgeous. Grassy and fresh, I always felt there was an orange-type note in there although it's not listed as far as I can see. I found it especially nice when worn on a cold day, when a crisp waft could be detected when air hit skin. Bring it back!!!!

16th May, 2009

Ghost by Ghost

Smells just like Irn Bru to me. Weird.

15th May, 2009

Knowing by Estée Lauder

Mmmm, got this for Christmas - a set with body cream - gorgeous - old fashioned, quality and very wearable.

01st January, 2009

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I sprayed a bit of this on my hand today. Can't decide if I like it or not but suspect I wouldn't be able to wear it. It smells a little bit like Moschino's Cheap and Chic to me.

03rd December, 2008

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

This perfume seems to have 2 opposing elements to it. The first is lovely - I don't know how to describe it and I'm not going to bother trying to put a name to the various elements, sugar, caramel etc - but can be smelled throughout wearing it. The second is a very cheapy, perhaps '80s' element and I think it's a shame that it's there - it's strongest in the first, topnotes stage - the rather acrid fruity one. Just had a look at what else the perfumer has done and I see that Secret Obsession and lots of Lynx fragrances are there - hmmm.. I've just bought it and after a while of sniffing and resniffing to analyse it and see what I think (yes, I know, I am rather reckless when it comes to buying perfumes and sometimes buy them after the merest aquaintance!) I have discovered that it has actually created a 'burnt' sensation inside my nose. This burning effect has never happened with any other perfume and as a smell obsessive I've sniffed a lot throughout my life! I wonder what it is that is doing that?
    Anyway I find I CAN wear it, don't find it sickening as I do with a lot of perfumes especially modern ones - the Cacharels, J'adore etc - and that is at least a mark in its favour. It also smells lovely when I smell it on other people. I would give this somewhere between neutral and thumbs up (for the mystery 'lovely' element). Can't have both so it's a neutral from me!

29th October, 2008

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I remember this mainly from my teenage years and every time I smelled it my conclusion was the same. Just one word - HORRIBLE.

23rd October, 2008

Intimately Beckham Night Women by Beckham

Smells cheap and nasty. Hit the bargain buckets for less than half the RRP pretty quickly here in the UK. Like Victoria, her perfumes are trying really hard to be 'classy' but unfortunately I think ultimately everything comes out cheap. I was really surprised at the tacky name stickers on the bottles too.

Love at First Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

I bought this because I smelled it on someone and thought it was Britney Curious which I quite like. When I wore it however I wasn't impressed. It wasn't offensive but just smelled weak and not very well constructed to me. I gave it to my sister who really likes it. It's a neutrally one for me cos it's not offensive.

White Musk by Body Shop

This is really lovely. Unfortunately for me it has too many associations with the 80's because that's when I was at school and everyone was wearing it. It's just very innocent and pretty, warm but fresh and clean. If you're ever thinking of buying perfume for a young lady of perfume wearing age and you're not sure what to get I'd say this is a pretty safe bet. (Hey sod the 80's I might have talked myself into buying it again!). I did think it was rather a shame when the body shop changed the bottle some years ago too.

Touch for Men by Burberry

Ah. Now MikeyP said this was feminine and I agree. I bought a miniature bottle for myself which sadly leaked away thru a faulty cap and I haven't replaced it yet. For me it is almost... almost... like some of my long-lost faves. Something of the Climat by Lancome or the Elegance by Avon ( I adored this as a child and had some in a brown glass turtle bottle, we're talking over 30 years ago, sweet!). Anyway whatever it is ,I found this an old-fashioned, unique, unusual, warm but not sickly feminine scent.