Reviews by peppermoon

L'Eau Trois by Diptyque

Cool, herbal opening with oregano, myrtle, pine, rosemary and camphor. In the past when I've worn this, the slightly too herbal opening would transition to a lovely, holy grail pine straw and sap scent with a quietly smoky resinous base. L'Eau Trois made it on to my wishlist as the perfect scent of sun heating pinestraw on a hot summer day - a nostalgic trip to my childhood in Georgia.

Trying it again after a long haitus, I've found that there's much more of a metallic note and the oregano is dominant. It's not wearably herbal, just reminiscent of pizza sauce. I've changed medications and diets, so maybe L'Eau Trois no longer favors my skin chemistry. Such a shame, but perhaps it's a good thing to no longer pine after a discontinued gem.
14th October, 2017

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

Vintage -

Bitter, clean, aldyhydic, green, floral-spicy. The opening is a blast of bitter green vetiver/oakmoss/soapy aldehydes. The galbanum, oakmoss and aldehyde scent continues throughout the evolution of the scent, though it smooths a bit over time and becomes more floral. The floral heart contains that a touch of that indolic jasmine + rose combo that was in every woman's perfume in the 80's, but the dominant floral notes on me are a slightly spicy white floral that smells of marigold + muguet. Far too soapy and bitter for my modern tastes, though better than some of the chypres from that era.

Vanilla Cake Batter by Demeter Fragrance Library

So, this really does smell like vanilla cake batter - for a few seconds. My quibbles are that the tangy / batter note can go a little saliva-esqe or metallic on me sometimes. Also the longevity and projection are not good, even for Demeter. The scent is also rather cheap smelling and chemical. Though I like the interesting batter aspect that distinguishes this scent from the millions of other vanilla-centric fragrances, I don't wear it.

Vanilla Grapefruit by Lavanila

Bruleed sugar, vanilla extract, grapefruit juice and a touch of what smells like patchouli. Lavanilla seems to do a good vanilla that is not chemical or sickening. Simple, VERY sweet, but definitely a crowd pleaser/compliment getter. This is not a high brow scent but it smells amazing on my skin and is great for layering. I tend to use this in the spring / summer, at night.

Choco Musk by Al Rehab

To me this is the smell of sugar rather than cacao. It smells like opening a swiss-miss hot cocoa packets with those strange little crunchy mini marshmallows. It's synthetic/powdery sugar with a touch of chocolate. There's some sort of dry nuttiness (reminiscent of brazil nuts) as well that I've noticed in other synthetic chocolate scents like Somethin' Special's Chocolate Drizzle. There's definitely musk here as well. Clean, not animalic. A simple scent, but jeez does it last a long time - a swipe from my rollerball will leave a musky sugary scent on my skin for about 2 days. Though it's not a satisfying chocolate scent for me, I still use it occasionally for layering under more complex scents. Layered with cocoa butter after a shower, it's a simple, sweet musky scent that seems to attract men. Hmph.

Winter Woods by Sonoma Scent Studio

I actually don’t get a lot of birch tar or smoky cade from this scent - the smokiness is subtle, like a waft of scent from a far off fire. Winter Woods begins as a strong animalic castoreaun note, tempered by something gourmand but not too sweet - though it smells like maple syrup and butter. There’s also a bit too much booziness in the first minute, but luckily it dies down quickly. The butter note reminds me of a toned down version of the butter co2 used in a lot of Kyse scents. It adds interest, and keeps me sniffing my arm, going “what is that?”.

The scent then develops into a lovely, warm and sweet amber scent. The castoreaum, butter/maple, slight booze, ambergris and sandalwood are identifiable to my nose. The ambergris is actually very strong in the heart of this perfume, it adds a sweet animalic and salty aspect. I have a small attar of sandalwood and pure ambergris and it smells similar to this note in Winter Woods. This scent is interesting, well constructed and melds with my skin chemistry in an enchanting way. It holds the place of one of the few primarily animalic scents on my want list. I appreciate the fact that this scent is not spicy - I love spicy notes but I feel as though the impulse with woodsy / ambery scents is to dump a bunch of spices on them and call it a day. I admire the perumer’s restraint here, and the ingredients are able to stand on their own.

Nostalgie by Sonoma Scent Studio

Champagne-like fizzy green aldyhedic opening that's a bit bitter / chemical. Then a Civet/indolic jasmine + oakmossy + peach aldehye heart that screams classic perfume! A blend of Mitsouko (like) and Chanel Cristalle (dislike)? There's something in this opening that also reminds me of the base of Gres Cabotine. My skin seems to eat this scent though - the opening is a bit too strong for my taste, though I'm biased against aldehyde fizz, but the mid and base of the perfume are extremely soft and don't project on me. Visually, it seems to be a clear green scent. Interesting, but ultimately not my type of perfume.

To Dream by Sonoma Scent Studio

Delicate, bubbly effervescent green retro aldyhdye smell with a makeup powder combo of heliotrope, rose and violet. There's something that's ever so slightly tangy - it might be a peachy facet to the aldehydes or the fruity aspect of the rose or raspberry from the violet. In the mid, I get the retro floral accord, mixed with some wiffs of a waxy orris (also reminiscent of makeup!) and smoothed by tonka. Props to SSS for making a retro makeup scent that doesn't veer too powdery, too "babywipe", too sharp aldehydic/chypre or too retro. I prefer it over Nostalgie. Unfortunately, though I can appreciate the artistry, this is not my type of scent.

Oud Stars : Mamluk by Xerjoff

On my skin this is pretty linear - a scent that is simultaneously cheesy/oudy/musky/honey/woody to my nose. If you've ever tried sourwood honey (which I actually love), Mamluk reminds me of that taste - it has a sort of salty parmesan tang. As a honey fragrance, Mamluk is missing a touch of something nectarous, floral or delicately sweet. Mamluk is actually not very sweet on my skin at all. It's interesting but it feels like the basenotes of a perfume and I don't reach to wear it. The search for the perfect honey scent continues!

Tabac Aurea by Sonoma Scent Studio

I know that there are no booze notes listed but the opening of this scent smells like fresh / wet tobacco and the sort of boozy scent that skin breathes out after a night of drinking whiskey. It’s not necessarily a bad smell - I think it replicates the scent of tobacco much more realistically than other, sweeter tobacco blends.

I found the opening pungent but interesting - I was a little worried that I smelled too hungover for my morning class today. The drydown is lovely - more of a dry, woody tobacco with a smooth base of sandalwood and warm ambery leathery notes that all blend together. Luckily the vanilla / amber / musk doesn’t go sweet on my skin, and the labdanum doesn’t make it go too powdery leathery. I thought this would be more of a fall scent but it’s an unusually warm and humid day in October and the sandalwood / tobacco drydown is blooming on my skin!

Like many scents from Sonoma, this is lovely and well crafted but at times a touch too photorealistic to be easily wearable. I plan on wearing it, though perhaps only venturing out after the boozy stage has died down a touch.

I gave an extra sample pip to a classmate who loves the smell of her grandfather’s old tobacco pipe - she loved it! Here’s to scent memories and the scents that call them back! :)
12th October, 2017

Hedonist by Viktoria Minya

A rum and peach opening, but after that is is all osmanthus on me, with just a whisper of peach. I like it, but I wish I got more of a complex result on my skin, and more honey. Definitely a warm, thick perfume. I don't think I've smelled a compostion like this - rum, peach, white florals and woods that doesn't also have some kind of spices. It reminds me of a pared down version of an oriental peach like Casmir. I've heard Eau d'Hongrie has more honey, and I'd like to try that one.
04th October, 2017

Cacao by Aftelier

I've tried this several times and each time I get a nice blood orange scent, which immediately turns to bubblegum powder and stays that way for the duration of the perfume. Perhaps it is the jasmine, but it smells exactly like that flour and sugar mix that they put on the outside of those hard pink retro bubblegums to keep them from sticking to the wrapper.

I unfortunately don't get any chocolate.
30th September, 2017

Intense Cafe by Montale

A very fruity rose on the opening - a sort of raspberry / strawberry nuance. In the perfume's body, I get musk, vanilla, sugar and fruity rose. It is a pleasant smell, smooth and not sharp. It projects well. I just wish there was any "cafe" in this intense cafe.
27th September, 2017

Douceur Brulée by Perfumes by Terri

Lemon candy opening, then lemon / butter cookie / caramelized sugar. Simple, enjoyable, and not too sweet. Very soft / Low projection on me, more than the other scents I have tried from this line.
27th September, 2017

Poopoo Pidoo by Ego Facto

Generic citrus accord opening, far too strong for me. I get Petitgrain and a little of that salty toasty wheaty smell of rice? Does smell a little like frootloops, which (I think) are lime and orange flavored. Ugh the orange blossom middle is just as screetchy. I have a headache...you said this was Ropion??Sorry folks, this is a scrubber on me.
22nd September, 2017

Ciel d'Opale by Ann Gerard

Sweet lemon opening, sparkling green sheer honeysuckle (a little chemical in the opening, but not bad - honeysuckle is difficult!). Quickly sweetens into a soft, sweet lemonade, galbanum, jasmine, vanilla scent. Actually reminds me a lot of the mid-notes of Décou-Vert by Laboratorio Olfattivo, which is on my test list (it's a green, lemony white floral as well). Wearable :)

Chance Eau Vive by Chanel

Cheap smelling for Chanel - smells like vague tart fruit, jasmine and screechy vetiver. Chemical chemical.

Black Gemstone by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777

Bitter lemon and smoked cedar opening - the other reviewers are right that it does have a damp peat mossy / stinky decomposing wood chips side to it. I get strong resins at once, not just in the drydown. The bitterness smooths out after a few minutes and gives way to curls of smoky, sweet resins. Has a note that smells like smoked tea / imortelle / tobacco - similar to the smoky sweet bones of l'artisan's tea for two. Definitely a perfume for a rainy day.

Sådanne by Slumberhouse

Syrupy strawberry rose opening, with a bit of that oily undertone that some slumberhouse scents have (pear and olive?). There's something interesting under the surface, some note I can't put my finger on. There's also a weird pencil shavings note I notice. After the opening it's not that sweet on me, though it retains its syrupy texture. I definitely smell a touch of booziness, though I couldn't say it smells like champagne to me. Could have used a bit more tartness or an herbal element for more complexity.

Nuit Épicée by Decennial

I get powdery dry violet and almond with a touch of cumin and what smells like the sort of animalic wood note that's in feminite du bois and a lot of other serge scents. Unfortunately I didn't get the rhubarb opening - I love rhubarb! This is interesting but it's an amber without any "cuddliness" - it's dry and cold. Not for me!

Jasmin Rouge by Tom Ford

For me it opened with a bitter citrus rind and the bugspray / green waxy side of jasmine. But it quickly softened and sweetened with neroli and ylang. The midnotes definitely play up the sweet, warm bubblegummy aspect of jasmine with the banana-y ylang and the mexican vanilla. I was hoping for more spices like in Shanghai Lily. Maybe it's just my skin.

Unfortunately, without the animalic lust of jasmine or the interest of spices, this perfume has no teeth. It feels like an exercise in making a jasmine perfume that explores it's components - but jasmine never actually shows up to the party itself.

Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths

Unfortunately the cherry / almond goes wonky and smells of mothballs and playdough on my skin.
15th September, 2017

Fig-Tea by Nicolaï

I just get a quiet sort of milky, ozonic scent with tea and osmanthus. I don't get fig on my skin. Interesting to sniff but not "me".
15th September, 2017