Reviews by Martin_

Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel

I'm going back and forth with this new Parfum.

It has both prominent notes from EDT (citruses, ginger, frankincense) and EDP (tonka bean, amber, sandalwood).

What I would add is an extra addition of cedarwood which actually was not that prominent neither in EDT nor in EDP.

For me it's about 60% EDP and 40% EDP decanted together into one Parfum bottle.

Might be bottle worthy - still - depending on price...
10th June, 2018

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

As far as I know, Salvador Dali re-launched this gem. When - I don't know.I know they did. So you can't call it discontinued anymore.

Good, I mean great for me. This is pure evil in a bottle... But in a good way! I mean - when I wear it, I feel like I'm in the middle of the dark, wet, huge forest and evil sourrounds me...

Longevity and sillage - outstanding.

Masterpiece of a fragrance. Enough said.

I wish I lived in the 80's and could have used all those powerhouses at their greatest times...
18th October, 2015

Sauvage by Christian Dior

This is so dissapointing... Smells generic - citrusy at the top, then - a little peppery with sweet synthetic twist. It's not amber for sure.

Longevity is good, sillage is poor.

This is not what I would expect from Dior.
01st September, 2015

Bleu de Chanel Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Terrible and synthetic nightmare. The worst Chanel fragrance ever released. I'm really scared if they're going to continue making such "scents".

Indeed, what you can smell in here is plastic, kind of melted plastic. Reminds me a lot of Paco Rabanne Invictus, this one is thicker and less "fresh".

The worst Chanel I've ever tried in my whole life, no joke.
02nd May, 2015

Gentlemen Only Casual Chic by Givenchy

An obvious clone of the old Dior Homme Sport formulation, without the citrus on top, plus interesting juniper berries note in the middle and synthetic woody-"ambery" base at the end. I actually don't detect any traces of amber or anything amber-like. IMO it doesn't contain ambroxan, it's ISO-E-Super.

Longevity is around 7-8 hours, sillage is below average - on me it's a skin scent.
26th February, 2015

Bottega Veneta pour Homme Extrême by Bottega Veneta

Very prominent leather from top to bottom. Later on some spice swoops in (I feel mainly pepper, it's probably pimento) along with strong fir note. Base notes are very fougere-ish to me.

Longevity is 10 hours, sillage is poor.

All in all, solid release.
26th February, 2015

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

Absolutely vile and disguisting smell from top to bottom.

This doesn't deserve "to be a Chanel" and I couldn't believe such a disastrous scent could be created by Jacques Polge (untill I smelled Bleu de Chanel EDP which is a lot worse btw).

It hits you in a face with synthetic notes right off the bat, these are mixed with sweet mandarin orange and tonka. Later on it transforms into a tonka, mandarin, wooods and synthetic concoction.

What's even worse, this nightmare lasts about 12 hours on my skin with quite big sillage.

AHS EDT smells a lot more natural (despite its aldehydic intro).

26th January, 2015

Eau Sauvage Parfum (original) by Christian Dior

I have read that people think this is a pure perfume or an extrait... Well, to me it's simple EDP concentration.

It has very little in common with original Eau Sauvage EDT and absolutely nothing in common with Eau Sauvage Extreme (the new one, Intense. It sounds terrible, lol).

The opening is a wonderful burst of citruses. They're very juicy. It lasts about 5 minutes or so and morphs into an oriental bomb made of myrrh, vanilla and maybe some other oriental spices. I agree that the myrrh is an absolute star here. This fragrance is very smoky. Later on it gets more and more balmier with appearance of vetiver. Fragrance from now on smells like myrrh on the woody base.

Logevity is around 15 hours, sillage is great. It was my blind buy and I can tell you - one of my best blind buys ever.
29th September, 2014

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Vintage vs reformulated:

Vintage Egoiste (not Bois Noir though) is a very dark and spicy fragrance.I can definitely call this oriental. The main notes are sandalwood, cinnamon, vanilla, rose, rosewood, tobacco and leather. It's rather unisex but there are prominent masculine notes like leather and tobacco (at least on my skin). It's a real powerhouse so max 3 sprays are appropriate.

It was reformulated around 2011 and the newer version has some rubbery accents. Compared to the vintage it's kind of flat, obviously not so powerful and much milder. It can be easily used by women - it's a true unisex in my eyes.

I haven't sniffed the juice from the new shape of bottles though.
16th September, 2014

Gentlemen Only Intense by Givenchy

Another unnecessary flanker added to Givenchy family.

This has absolutely nothing in common with Givenchy Gentleman from 1974 (which is a brilliant patchouli honey and rose combo). It's an ambery variation of Gentlemen Only with a hint of pepper to give some spice to the composition. To my nose it's too sweet - there's an overdose of tonka bean and too few spice, a barely detectable incense also is something that dissapointed me. I expected something less sweet, more spicy and incensy. Its huge disadvantage is its sillage - it's almost a skin scent on me but on the other hand longevity is around 9 hours. It develops better in warm weather.

It's a 100% pass for me. So sad that tonka is overplayed in so many fragrances these days. Gentlemen Only Intense is one of them, unfortunately. In my opinion it doesn't stand out from the crowd and is another boring and generic scent.
19th June, 2014 (last edited: 22nd June, 2014)

Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès

This is a kind of a hybrid - it has DNA of two Ellena's fragrances - Declaration and original Terre d'Hermes.
Overall I find it as a good fragrance for summer.

It outlasts the original Terre btw - longevity is 10+ hours each time I wear it.

A solid one, though nothing new.
12th May, 2014 (last edited: 14th May, 2014)

Gentlemen Only by Givenchy

A good modern fragrance with a touch of 90's.

The only thing I dislike in Gentlemen Only is its opening which is slightly synthetic mandarin orange. Later on it gets woody - I detect mostly green vetiver with a little bit of sweet patchouli in the background, and spicy - the mix of nutmeg and pepper is sharp and spices up the composition. Base notes is the most prominent part on my skin - the frankincense is really there and goes "hand in hand" with woods. It's interesting how it develops depending on weather - when it's cold it is more woody-smoky and in warm weather it's more green-spicy. Longevity is good, on my skin 8-10 hours with good sillage.

Highly reccomended.

Btw, it's better than its Intense version IMO.
19th March, 2014

Gucci pour Homme II by Gucci

My signature scent, the one that I hated at the first sniff and few days later came back and bought it because I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Starts off fresh - violet leaf mixed with bergamot, at first it smelled like a kind of sweet&sour sauce to me... But when it dried down, the magic started to happen. Very strong black tea mixed with cinnamon, tobbaco and myrrh came in and started to dance on my skin. And I started to gather LOTS of compliments. It's a kind of hybid between fresh and warm fragrance. I prefer to wear it in fall and winter, because that's when myrrhe appears. In spring and summer I get refreshing tea with violet leafs, but it chokes me out in the summer heat and that is when I'm not using it.
It lasts on me usually 12-15 hours and I don't go very heavy on the trigger - 4-5 sprays is all I need.
Definitely VERY unique and I hope it'll never be discontinued.
21st February, 2014