Reviews by Viffer

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens

This perfume's hype as a stinker is greatly exagerated.
I don't get the urine/fecal bomb that others speak about. Yes, it is a bit animalistic but, not as bad as most reviews here will have you believe and in fact, it is very nicely and tastefully done.

No overwhelming fecals, or salty sweaty after copulation smell, no camel or unwashed rider, no sweaty female delicates or, any other metaphorical description that has been used to convey how this perfume smells.

Having said all that, my skin has a tendency to tame what others perceive as seriously animalistic perfumes. On my skin this is a nice masculine dark floral, with some mild animalistic and spicy nuances which, gives this perfume a sexy/sensual vibe.

Mine is a new 2016 bell bottle from which I wore two swipes. I will decant 2ml into a spray and see if there are any differences when this perfume is atomised. I shall adjust this review accordingly.

EDIT: I have decanted it and pumped three full blasts, one to my chest and one on each wrist. Other than slightly better projection , no changes.
26th July, 2016 (last edited: 19th June, 2017)

Blue Sapphire by Boadicea the Victorious

For the longest time, I have been in two minds about writing a review for this perfume.

You see....This was sent to me by BTV MD as a gesture of good faith (after having a small problem with one of their products.)
I was blown away by the generous gesture and, at the time, I though it was way OTT.

That was until I bought Aramis Calligraphy** Of which, this BTV offering is an unashamed 100% copy. And I mean that!. These two match each other in every way, they even transition from one level to the next nearly at the same time.

Is almost as if they have just taken the Aramis offering and, decanted it into that pretty bottle!
The only thing going for this BTV is that it has Slightly better quality raw materials but, is not worthy of the price.

I'll still give it a thumbs up but, Get the Aramis and save yourself a bundle!
Sorry BTV, I can't keep quiet anymore.

**Calligraphy.... old tall bottle formula, the new formulation is not even a shadow of its former self.
11th July, 2016 (last edited: 09th May, 2017)

Ô Hira by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777

"Ô Hira" by Stéphane Humbert Lucas is a very fine Amber oriental fragrance with a woody and spicy character.

The main star here is Amber, luscious delicious and incredibly sexy Amber. There is oud here too but, it is hardly detectable, more of a distant supporting extra and so much the better for it.

The Amber smells brown, resinous, earthy, and leathery still, always harmonious, without any single notes stealing the show. I think Labdanum could be one of the main components here, although I also detect some real Ambergris. As for fossilised Amber, well, I have never experienced it so I can't say with any degree of authority if it is present or not.

Stephane considers Ô Hira the diamond in the collection and I understand why. It is a successful attempt to create the ideal Amber scent, mysterious, warm, deep, balsamic, precious and rich.

The scent sits on my skin with a silky but persistent touch. It oozes sensuality and sexiness.
With moderate Projection and silliage Ô Hira easily last over 12h on my skin.

This is an excellent Unisex fragrance that fits perfectly with the cold season. For me, it is a truly amazing experience, pure sexiness in a bottle!

As for the price...Ô Hira is firmly aimed at those who can afford it and are happy to pay the high cost admission ticket.

***EDIT***
Jan 2017... Having had the opportunity to purchase very high quality Oud oil, I can now detect that the Oud note in this perfume has a much bigger role than previously stated. I would go as far as to say that this is, in actuallity, a very high quality Ambered Oud perfume. Knowing how expensive and rare good quality Oud oil is, and the high 24% oil content in Ô Hira, I find the price of this perfume entirely justified.
05th January, 2015 (last edited: 22nd July, 2017)

Occhio di Tigre by Baldi

Baldi Occhio Di Tigre was created by Enzo Galardi for the famous home luxury jewellers Baldi.

It opens with an aniseed and slightly spicy fruity affair with a clean, somewhat metallic edge. It has some facets which are very similar to Armani's Prive Ambre Soie.

It soon shifts into a soft, slightly fruity, woody/ floral with some spicy herbal hints. The initial aniseed, now morphing into a liquorice note that, stays for the duration with varying degrees of intensity.

The scent then dries to a slightly sweet fruity, woody/vanilla with hints of nuts and amber.

Very comforting, pleasant, cosy and relaxing experience throughout the trip.

This collection from Baldi is not cheap but, the use of excellent quality ingredients is obvious from the word go. The scent feels luxurious and, masterfully blended.

Longevity is about 10 hours on my skin, with moderate projection and siliage.

Highly recommended.
06th October, 2014 (last edited: 07th June, 2015)

Almas by Boadicea the Victorious

Well, what I can say about Almas.
Let me start by letting you all know that in Almas, Christian Provenzano has created a truly beautiful thing.
Cosy like your favourite blanket, warm like a lazy holiday in the sun with your book and cocktail, discrete like an expensive hotel concierge, he knows everything but, says nothing and, above all, powerful like Boadicea herself!
Heavenly Rose, Cuddly Sandalwood, warm suede, exotic saffron, paradise pineapple, glorious jasmine... the list goes on and on.
It is a mind blowing experience coming through your nose that reaches your very soul.
Yet, for all its power, it is kind to your skin and , the nose of those around you. Never vociferous but, always there in the background, like a reassuring trusted friend quietly telling you... you'll be all right, I am here for you.
An absolutely magical experience!
It does not come cheap but, then again, something this good never does.
Definitely thumbs up!
20th September, 2014 (last edited: 02nd April, 2015)

Casamorati 1888 Fiero by Xerjoff

A bit disappointed with his to be honest.

It starts great , smells fantastic, beautifully balanced and masterfully blended, this offering from Xerjoff is, without a doubt, citrus at it's very best !

Alas, it lasts all of 45min on me and thereafter, It becomes a very close to the skin scent... a couple of hours latter and, is all over!.

Now, this longevity issue is very serious indeed. Still and, although very close to deserve it, I love Fiero too much to give it a negative!

I bought this straight from Xerjoff e-boutique so, maybe it is a brand new batch and, it has not matured enough... Time will tell and, I shall re-evaluate this review in a few months.

Until then and for now, I'll stick with neutral on this one!

Please note that this review is for the new green tassel version, I believe the older (vintage so soon?) version had a gold tassel

Edit!! 25-06-2015
Well, it has been nearly a year and, my bottle has matured quite nicely. Sprayed 4 shots this morning at 10AM and, although a skin scent now, It is very much there. A massive improvement form the 2 hours longevity I was getting a year ago!
25th July, 2014 (last edited: 25th June, 2015)

Antaeus by Chanel

Back in the 80's, this was on regular rotation in my collection.
I saw it at harrods and decided to take a trip down memory lane.
Big mistake!

I feel cheated by channel. This is not the Antaeus I once knew. It is something else entirely and as such, it should have been given a different name.

This new formulation has no resemblance to what I wore back then. Weak, to the point of despairing from my skin within minutes (rather than hours) and not even a shadow of what this scent used to be.

Thumbs down indeed!
Pros: at £40 (after discounts) it was cheap'Ish
Cons: everything else about it. I don't think it will even make it as my WC spray!
21st July, 2014

Pontevecchio by Nobile 1942

The fragrance opens with bergamot, mandarin and coriander seeds . The Iris Florentina revives the heart with Bulgarian rose and Indian jasmine . The base consist of white musk , amber, patchouli and, sandalwood from India.
I find Ponte Vecchio (extrait Exceptional Edition) to be a sensual, delicate, classical scent of understated elegance. A spring fragrance that plays with my senses to stimulate and arouse my emotions.
Wonderful!
23rd May, 2014 (last edited: 06th May, 2016)

17/17 Richwood by Xerjoff

Xerjoff Richwood opens with bergamot, grapefruit and mandarin followed by a rich creamy sandalwood that comes accompanied by rose, iris and a touch of black berries.

A deep smoky/spicy/Boozy patchouli soon enters the stage and, it is in this combination of Sandalwood, Rose, Iris and patchouli where Richwood stays the longest until, labdanum and vanilla join those notes into the dry down.

Richwood is a luxurious, indulgent and sophisticated experience, a beautiful piece of perfumery with Excellent longevity (I get 14-16h consistently from a single spray), projection is good for the first 4-6h and sillage is moderate.

Please note. This review is from my carton box presentation bottle. The whole of the 17/17 stone label line was reformulated when the beautiful leather box presentation was introduced. But, I am afraid that the new juice does not match the great leather presentation. I find the original carton box juice vastly superior.

As for the price, I bought DamaRose, Irisss and Homme with this bottle of Richwood and happily paid the high cost admission ticket for my tall carton boxes back in April 2014. Having said that, I would not pay anywhere near the £500 asking prices for the newer leather box formulations. Sadly, that goes for the whole Xerjoff 17/17 stone label line.
16th May, 2014 (last edited: 09th September, 2016)

Interlude Man by Amouage

Not much to add to what has already been said. Except, on me... it last forever. I mean, Interlude is bomb proof. It stayed on my skin for well over 24 hours. I showered 4 times that day and, the scent refused to go.
I like it but, not for that long a time.
I have a 100ml bottle and, I fear, my great, great grandson will inherit the best part of 90ml.
I would have given it a positive. Alas the longevity of Interlude is just overkill!
02nd May, 2014 (last edited: 05th March, 2015)