Reviews by Chanel1

Bel Ami by Hermès

Great fragrance, Bel Ami. I believe my sample is the current formulation. It reminds me of Egoiste and Antaeus, meaning I like it.
08th July, 2015

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

I love Chanel, usually, but not Pour Monsieur Concentree. I'm neutral leaning thumbs down. I would describe it as unpleasant and slightly harsh.

Update: I initially wore the version in a tester labelled edt concentree in 2015, while the name change to edp was in the boxes being sold; i.e., the last vesion of edt concentree before the name change.

Now, trying a version from the 90s, I'm a fan, and would give this older formulation an enthusiastic thumbs up. The reformation on this one is disappointing, but the original is a nice flanker.
05th July, 2015 (last edited: 09th August, 2015)

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Chanel showing off in the 2000s sport fragrance market. This is one of my favorite scents every time I wear it; a medium-strength scent for summer and celebrations. Powdery and tangy.
21st June, 2015

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I love this one. It strongly reminds me of Acqua di Gio Essenza, which I also like.
17th June, 2015

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Smells like gin. The good stuff. A dirty martini up.
17th June, 2015

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I like the smell.

It's citrusy cologne crossed with a touch of Cartier Declaration, and not too far off from Frapin L'Humaniste.
15th June, 2015

Allure Homme Edition Blanche Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche is a lighter summer, lemon version of Chanel Allure Homme. It is heavenly, but light. Almost too light. But it has a great, light, dressed-up, elegant, Chanel feel; with maybe some pepper and Tonka to add a little spice and powder.

The Chanel Allure Homme Sport signature note is in here, but it is faint.

I like wearing this line and weighing the differences. It's a fun series from Chanel.
12th June, 2015 (last edited: 20th June, 2015)

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I love this fragrance and its intense flanker.

They are as advertised, to me. The intense version lasts longer, and has added sweetness in the development, so I like it even more.

The original Dior Homme maybe holds the iris just as long or longer, and then it wears as a fantastic skin scent.

It's an instant classic.
11th June, 2015 (last edited: 05th September, 2016)

Esencia Loewe by Loewe

This reminds me of the smell of adult men from my childhood, in their Sunday best, but more shaving cream than aftershave. It doesn't quite match my style. Chanel made Platinum Egoiste to fill this slot in my rotation.
09th June, 2015

Brit Rhythm for Him by Burberry

This smells good, on "my skin" apparently. I just had a glance at the stats before rating, and it looks like I'm in the minority.

This has a fairly quick development, and the early to mid stages (within the first two hours) are nice. It's wearable. I could wear this to the office. I would prefer more longevity.

My style preference is Burberry Brit Rhythm for Him over Burberry London. I like how this one does powder.
08th June, 2015

Arso by Profumum

This reminds me of Guerlain Songe d'un Bois d'Ete, just a little. It's gamy in the same way. This is sweeter and smokier, so this one feels like a powerhouse.

I've change from thumbs up to neutral while I'm typing.

This is too sweet, covering something off, or sharp, the turpentine, I gather.

This one is interesting for sure. It has a bit of a camp fire feel at times.
06th June, 2015

Carven Homme (original) by Carven

Carven Homme smells good. It smells like a mix of other fragrances I've tried recently, but it's one of the better ones. The opening is not a world away from Dior Ambre Nuit which I wore recently, although this is more masculine.

Updating over a year later: The top and the base are both great. There's a slightly sour smell from one of the ingredients giving this a complex, natural smell, and that's balanced by some sweetness. As good as this is, there's something that holds me back from a full bottle - something clearly present in the opening that gives this a "nearly there" smell for me, but a smell that could grow on me over time.
05th June, 2015 (last edited: 05th September, 2016)

M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm not rushing out to buy a bottle, but this is a relatively nice fragrance from one of my sample orders.

It creates a broad smell, familiar, yet with some light oud. I get something like a chewing gum element in the mix of smells.

I like the smells dancing around the oud more than the oud.

This is a fairly easy thumbs up!
03rd June, 2015 (last edited: 20th June, 2015)

Duc de Vervins L'Extreme by Houbigant

Too much like Lectric Shave, especially at the top, but it develops into a nice, long lasting base.
30th May, 2015 (last edited: 08th July, 2015)

Cologne pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Cologne pour le Soir has a feel that reminds me of the MiN New York scents I have sampled.

I see it as a playful experiment. It's powdery.

This has started me off on a bad foot with Maison Francis Kurkdjian (MFK).
28th May, 2015

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

Neutral, leaning like.

There's something in the base that reminds me of two scents I do not like: Terre d'Hermes edt and Bond No. 9 Scent of Peace for Him.

It matches that with some woody sweetness that almost makes up for it.
21st May, 2015

Bois d'Argent by Christian Dior

Forget about performance, the smell of this is just not to my liking. Based on the notes and the house, I would expect to like it more. The earthy aspect of this one doesn't work for me.
16th May, 2015

Knize Ten Golden Edition by Knize

This smells like a masculine flanker to Chanel Cuir de Russie edt, which is nice.

This is subdued, and safe, I think. I like it. It smells a little sweet and spicey, like a nice cookie at a coffee shop, and it has the same leather feel as the Chanel, or at least reminiscent of Cuir de Russie.

16th May, 2015

Dior Homme Eau for Men by Christian Dior

Dior Homme Eau smells like a wonderfully promising flanker at the top, but the development takes it in a different direction than Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense, to my nose, and not a good place. The good part of the fragrance (the Dior Homme iris smell) fades within two or three hours for me, and the remaining smell is light and disappointing.
15th May, 2015

Onsen by MiN New York

Onsen stands out as unique in this collection, and has somewhat of a crossover feel to appeal to fans of designer or mass market fragrances, I think. It's complex and interesting, but the smell is not really to my liking. This one is a little like Bleu de Chanel and YSL L'Homme Libre; but I think I prefer these designer options.
13th May, 2015

Allure Homme by Chanel

A nice, wearbale fragrance. Big projection for an hour, and then it wears lightly, but the smell is hard not to like.
12th May, 2015

Oud Stars : Fars by Xerjoff

Xerjoff Fars is impressive smelling, typically Xerjoff as I understand the house, and therefore just ok.

Xerjoff isn't bad, as long as you don't expect too much going in (like most things).

If you like Tom Ford Noir de Noir and/or Oud Wood, you might like this. I'm not sure I like any of them, but they could be growing on me. Or maybe I'm being too open minded.
29th April, 2015 (last edited: 20th June, 2015)

Join The Club : Shunkoin by Xerjoff

This smells like almond oil, which smells great, and lasts a long time.
28th April, 2015

Long Board by MiN New York

This one does smell like suntan lotion, but it's done in a way that could potentially make a nice, alluring feminine fragrance, if the occasion calls for smelling like suntan lotion.
24th April, 2015

Old School Bench by MiN New York

This is an experimental fragrance, to my nose. The dominant note is reminiscent of a furniture varnish. The overall smell is more feminine than unisex.
24th April, 2015

Theseus by Lorenzo Villoresi

Edgy in a way that reminds me of an Amouage feel. Too challenging for me to enjoy: synthetic dirty, perhaps.

I don't really like this, but the interesting complexity earns it a neutral.

Aedes de Venustas Eau de Parfum by Aedes de Venustas

I have a sample of Aedes de Venustas Eau de Parfum, and it smells good, and interesting.

It's a new smell to me. I don't think it matches my style, but I still like it. It smells modern, classy, and trendy / ahead of the curve. It could be an interesting office fragrance.

Bois des Îles by Chanel

Today I have luxuriated in the edt and parfum layering of Bois des Iles; and I still have a problem with the top. It's better with the parfum version, but the top doesn't quite work for me. About an hour and a half in, we're into the mid and/or base, and it smells like deliciously edible Chanel. But the top is a soapy wood I don't really love. Still, I can't exaggerate and give it a thumbs sideways. The mid and base are delicious.

Coromandel Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Coromandel is one of my favorites. The smell and the longevity are fantastic. The smell is unisex, so among my favorites, this is the least masculine.

This is a sweet, vibrant, heart-breaking oriental that smells natural and sweet. This has a stronger note of a natural ingredient than my other favorites.

This could be described as accessible niche, perhaps. For me, it has a touch of magic, almost.

When I see someone else is detecting Coromandel coming from me, I'm happy for them. It's a great scent to have around people; there's no need to wear this one at home alone.

Someone mentioned getting fatigued with Coromandel, and switching to Dior Ambre Nuit. Both are great, but I prefer Coromandel, even if just slightly. Ambre Nuit is another impressive oriental to my nose.
22nd April, 2015

1861 by Xerjoff

I could see people enjoying this, and there are notes I like myself: fresh, herbal, after-shave reminiscent, citrus-cologne type notes; mixed with the Xerjoff signature that doesn't click with me.
20th April, 2015