Reviews by Chanel1

Black by Puredistance

The premium price for this ($295 for 60 ml) makes me want more. It smells a lot like MiN NY Scent Stories Dahab, which is similarly pricey, I think. There is something nice in these scents. I like the Dahab version a little more, I think.

Having sampled more, I would say these are ok and interesting, but not really something I would want to wear often, or something I would recommend for others without sampling.
18th April, 2015

Herod by Parfums de Marly

Another sweet tobacco fragrance (I've also tried D&G the One and Michael Kors for Men 2014). This has the added quality, I think, that could make someone consider the higher price tag; just.

It's not mind-blowing, but it's a nice, sweet, rustic, very slightly flowery fragrance that works well for men.
13th April, 2015

1899 Ernest Hemingway by Histoires de Parfums

This unisex beauty isn't for me, but I can not deny it a thumbs up. It smells like 1969's pretty big sister.
05th April, 2015 (last edited: 04th May, 2015)

1969 Parfum de Révolte by Histoires de Parfums

Peach, rose, and patchouli are notes I detected, so my nose is coming around.

I don't really like rose, so it's a neutral for me, but all sorts of posters in the male fragrance forum purport loving rose fragrances, so they should try this one, especially if they like peaches!
04th April, 2015

Join The Club : Comandante! by Xerjoff

Join The Club Comandante reminds me a lot of Polo Red, which I like. And I like the staying power it has. For the price I've seen this, $200 for 50 ml, I want it to be a lot better than a department store fragrance. And after a full wearing, I like Polo Red more.

Comandante shines during it's long lasting mid where it maintains a nice projection.

The base flipped this to neutral for me. Now I'm worried the smell of the base was there all along. The base has a feminine, synthetic, powder smell to my nose. Especially synthetic smelling in the base, but I enjoyed it at the top.
01st April, 2015 (last edited: 02nd April, 2015)

Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior

It smells familiar, and reminds me of Chanel Coromandel in a way, and of La Nuit de l'Homme in a way.

I really enjoy the opening of Ambre Nuit, but given the two fragrances it reminds me of from my collection, I need to get more from the development to consider adding a bottle to the rotation.
28th March, 2015 (last edited: 28th May, 2015)

Hamdani by Parfums de Marly

This is an obscure one, from my background, that I received in a sample care package (Thank You Basenoters!).

I'm getting Campho-Phenique at the top, and some other stuff. A Campho-Phenique flanker, of sorts.

I know I'm supposed to give niche time, but come on. The opening has to pass muster.

I give it bonus points for having several notes.
28th March, 2015

Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather by Acqua di Parma

This is a thumbs up, but borderline neutral. It is so much like Tom Ford Tuscan Leather that I would have to be a fan of the style to want much of either. Another reviewer (Klaaon) mentioned a clean laundry smell in the development, and that is true, and that is different than Tuscan Leather; but it comes later. The clean laundry part smells like Azzaro Chrome and/or Nautica Voyage, in a way that's not too bad, and that strangely works ok. It turns into a typical-smelling sweet, Tom Ford-like base.
23rd March, 2015

New-York by Nicolaï

Neutral, leaning thumbs up. It has a classic smell, like an old-school men's fragrance, but it's still wearable.

The notes listed above are Lemon, Bergamot, Lavender; Pepper, Patchouli, Cedarwood, Spices; and Vanilla, Leather, and Amber.

Something is missing from this list, I'm guessing, and it's the prominent smell.

Maybe lavender and spices or the Amber is creating the smell, but I'm reminded of an old-fashioned Chypre.
18th March, 2015

L'Humaniste by Frapin

This is the second Frapin I've tried after Passion Boisee, for which I was neutral.

But L'Humaniste is pretty good. It may be a reverse engineered hybrid of Chanel Edition Blanche and Cartier Declaration Essence, but it works.

And the base is appealing.

I love Chanel Edition Blanche, and this reminds me a lot of that. I recommend trying it.
16th March, 2015

Sycomore Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This scent, the 2008 version of Sycomore, is a legend on this site, and typically singled out as one of the best for men from the Chanel Exclusives, including by me.

I have a 5 ml decant which has given me many chances to wear it, and it's an artistic achievement, but it feels like a lost day of wearing something I would enjoy more. It's jarring to work it into a routine with my other fragrances.

I can say that it smells good, but I'm reticent to wear it.
03rd March, 2015

L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

A nice, masculine Iris scent without too much projection. It's nice to have a soft scent like this available to wear if you're going to be in a room with people right away, although some other Iris scents work for that too, I'm thinking of 28 La Pausa, although this one from Divine is more masculine.

I have nothing bad to say when I bury my nose into it, although maybe it's a little forgettable. It could be my own loss, though, if I forget this one.

Great smell. Arguably too faint.
19th January, 2015

Derby by Guerlain

I'm three hours into sampling vintage Derby, and it's nice, and it gets nicer as it dries and develops. This could be a scent where I learn to love the top because the base that follows is so nice, but my first impression is that the smell of the top notes, or one dominant note or accord, that reminds me of Christmas, Christmas shopping in a nice department store, and/or cloves, is not my necessarily a smell I would be looking for in a fragrance.

It reminds me of cloves, which is a smell I like ok, but don't love; but I like the smell more as part of this fragrance.
13th January, 2015

31 rue Cambon Eau de Toilette by Chanel

I'm so impressed with 31 rue Cambon! It may be on the feminine side, so I'll need to test it around people to see if it works for me, but the smell of this edt is intoxicating. I think this would be my first-choice Chanel on women, and I think it can work for a man too.

To my nose it's a typical feminine Chanel, one of the good ones, minus the aldehyde blast, and it develops with some hooks that pull my nose in.
07th January, 2015

Aventus by Creed

Aventus is a strong, exciting fragrance, and I like the smoky, velvety feel, but the pineapple isn't my favorite. Plus, this one gives me olfactory fatigue, which is no fun. The high cost also influences my impression, because if this was a reasonable price, $60 for a bottle instead of $200 or more, I would probably buy a bottle and use it for layering with other fragrances, but my overall impression, including cost, is "neutral."

The longevity is fantastic, about 24 hours for me, but I've had similar longevity from Acqua di Gio Essenza which I like comparably well to Aventus and which costs less.

When wearing Aventus I do get olfactory fatigue, and I only get occasional wafts of the scent. These alternate between smelling like the best thing ever and smelling like an ill-advised pineapple fragrance.
28th December, 2014 (last edited: 29th December, 2014)

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

This edt version of Voyage d'Hermes smells good, but it's too light for me. I might prefer the edp, but I haven't tried it.

Voyage d'Hermes smells much better to me than Terre d'Hermes , but because it's so light, I still give it a neutral rating.
27th December, 2014

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

This smells good, but it's too light. It becomes a skin scent with no projection too quickly for me, but for someone who wants something light, this one smells good.
25th December, 2014

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

This is the right fragrance at the right time for me. It has the concentrated niche smell I love, and it's a smoky leather version that is perfectly safe and enjoyable.

Update: This stuff lasts forever on clothing but isn't too powerful if it touches skin only. The development is challenging, and my initial enthusiasm has turned to caution. I'm leaving it as thumbs up, but I need to wear it more to decide if it's really for me, and something I'm sure I like. I'm thinking it may go into the neutral category, but I'm giving myself time to try to understand the Tom Ford Private Blends, and whether they're actually any good.
24th December, 2014 (last edited: 16th March, 2015)

Dune Road by MiN New York

This one, Dune Road, smells like a big fresh salad to me, with cucumber. It has a vinaigrette with kick. I think it would be a daring scent for me to try to pull off on a regular basis, but I would recommend everyone to sample this whole line. It smells like quality ingredients and has good performance.
21st December, 2014

The Botanist by MiN New York

A big thumbs up for this one, the Botanist. Having tried the 11 scents in the collection, I like how this one reminds me of Momento.

I'm going to try to persuade my wife to try this one. I love it.

I think the Botanist this scent is named for grows fragrant flowers. Yum.

The scents in this series have good longevity for me, pretty much all day, 10 hours or more.
21st December, 2014

Dahab by MiN New York

To wear for myself, and I'm male, Dahab is one of my three favorites from MiN New York Scent Stories Volume 1, along with Barrel and Momento.

Dahab might be the easiest for me to wear.

It has an ashy note at the top that fades into a sweet smell that lasts all day. It smells versatile to me, something I wouldn't mind wearing every day.
18th December, 2014

Déclaration Essence by Cartier

For me, Declaration is too much, but Declaration Essence is better, just. They're not that different, but this one feels a little smother to me.
18th December, 2014

Déclaration d'Un Soir by Cartier

Declaration d'un soir is different from Declaration, and I like this one more.

Declaration is closer to Terre D'Hermes that Declaration d'un soir.

Declaration d'un soir, especially at the top, smells just like my local Pottery Barn boutique in the mall. As it turns to more of a straight rose smell, I like it more, and I'm fond of it, but not enough to buy a bottle.

17th December, 2014 (last edited: 19th January, 2015)

Déclaration by Cartier

This is for someone who works in an office and wants to smell classy, and like a fan of Indian food.

17th December, 2014

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I don't want to wear this. I might like it on someone else, but on me it's really strong, and it chokes me out. I don't really like it. When I bury my nose in it , I'm a little put off by the smell. It's edgy. In my collection, I have two scents that give me the effect that I like in this one: Platinum Egoiste and ADG Essenza. Those have a sharp edge to my nose, and they're plenty. Terre d'Hermes takes it to another level, and I personally do not want to go there.
13th December, 2014

Momento by MiN New York

From the MiN NY Scent Stories Volume 1 fragrances that I've tried, this one, Momento, plus Barrel and Dahab, are the safest bets for men.

Momento has a typical-smelling, or familiar-smelling at least, aggressive/sharp powder smell. Someone said it smells like Pour Monsieur from Chanel, which makes sense/sounds right to me, and I also get a bubble gum note that I identified in the drydown. So the story is of me as a kid, chewing bubble gum, in the presence of a refined gentleman who smells fantastic. Or a refined woman, because I'm guessing plenty of women's fragrances use this familiar smelling aggressive powder note, and I would have smelled them as a kid.
10th December, 2014 (last edited: 18th December, 2014)

Barrel by MiN New York

Big thumbs up for this one. I've tried seven of the other fragrances in this series of 11 Scent Stories from MiN, and this is the first one that has compelled me to post a thumbs up in the reviews.

It reminds me of the sample of Paco Rabanne One Million Intense I tried recently, and I liked that one too, but Barrel is even better, and the base is sweet and delicious.
10th December, 2014 (last edited: 09th December, 2014)

Prada Candy by Prada

This is sweet, but not as much as the name might suggest, and there's plenty of darker notes to add a balance. This stuff is pretty light and non-offensive. The sweetness makes it wearable for kids, but the structure behind the sweetness makes it ok for adults too. It's a little bit of an homage to Chanel No. 5, I think, with the sweetness providing the new signature.

It smells a little like ginger snap cookies in the dry down.
03rd November, 2014

1 Million Intense by Paco Rabanne

I like the cinnamon note and I wish that it were stronger and lasted longer, and I'd prefer that the hair spay smell was weaker. The amount of bubble gum smell is just right.

To my nose, the hair spray smell is dominant, and I like it ok, but not enough to buy a full bottle.

I could almost like having a small bottle of this.
29th October, 2014

Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani

I gave this one four stars. It's harsh on the top, but as it settles it gets better and better.

That type of performance is different than anything else in my rotation, so it's an especially interesting scent for me. It's big, powerful juice that's provocative, memorable, and doesn't smell too bad.
27th October, 2014