Reviews by Chanel1

L'Eau par Kenzo by Kenzo

I like this scent, but it's too light for me. I can't keep the scent with me for more than an hour or two. The top has some interesting notes that almost make me give it a thumbs up, but I'm usually disappointed with the longevity, so I rarely reach for it.

Today, though, staying in with other people close by, I wanted something light, so I'm wearing it, but I wouldn't buy a bottle. I was given this one as a gift.
26th October, 2014

Voyage by Nautica

This reminds of CK One, CK Euphoria Men, and Chrome Azzaro, and it might be my favorite of the four. There's no CK One in the house at the moment to compare. Chrome Azzaro doesn't work for me, but this Nautica Voyage and the CK scents work great for me This would make a good signature scent, but for me it's one for the rotation for a scent that makes me feels younger. I now have this and CK Euphoria Men, and I really don't need both. They're just small bottles though, so there should be enough days to make use of all this good juice.

Coming back to this review after several more wearings: The longevity is very good I've now realized. I've had this last over 24 hours. Other fragrances that linger for a long time can be annoying, but this one smells better and better to me.
20th October, 2014 (last edited: 01st December, 2014)

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

I chose this for my wedding in 1998, and I still have the bottle. I love reading the positive reviews on here, and I can confirm the longevity is great.

Because this is so strong, I usually just break it out for the Wedding Anniversary, or some other formal occasion where I want to be loud.

Recently I had a sample vial of Chanel Egoiste, and it very much reminded me of Opium EDP, and I might have liked the Chanel even more.

I'm sort of mixed up though, because I liked scents like Opium EDP when I was in my twenties, and now I prefer at least Platinum Egoiste, or even Nautica Voyage or Polo Red.

Back then I liked the feel of richer scents, and now I like the feel of fresher, lighter scents.

Update: Bearing in mind my juice is old, but the top still smells the same: There is something I do not like deep into the dry down, and I don't like the smell of this one on clothes (it lasts too long, and the best notes are missing). If I could pick up a new travel size, I'd like to compare the deep dry down. I've had the same issue sampling Aventus: a big, beautiful powerhouse, but some elements of the base that last the longest make me feel like I'm taking the bad with the good.
20th October, 2014 (last edited: 26th November, 2014)

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

I gave this three stars earlier, and now I'm giving it a thumbs up. I don't think that's a contradiction.

I like this stuff.

But I recognize it's limited.

But I like the Calvin Klein DNA or base, and I like this Euphoria Men juice.

For me, it's almost the opposite of the people worried about projection and longevity. This smells slightly edgy to me, and I'm glad the projection isn't too strong. The key with this juice is that the staying power is strong to my nose. I almost never get comments, but someone did comment that this stuff was projecting, so I rate the performance on this juice as ok, just fine.

The smell is good but not fantastic. But the performance, for me, is a bonus, and pushes it into the "like" zone. A little sweet. A little flowery. A little synthetic. But I like it.

Smelling it again, I'm reminded of Azzaro Chrome, and that one reminded me of CK One.
10th October, 2014

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

A big thumbs up for this one. I have two bottles: 9A03 (purchased in 1999) and 4N03 (purchased in 2014).

The old bottle has probably lost potency. The new juice projects better. Side by side on each arm, the old juice smells a little richer on the skin, but fainter, so I'm feeling plenty of love for the 2014 juice. It's maybe slightly sweeter or more vanilla and leather, less floral; but it is very similar. They are more like each other than edt and edp flankers. If the current juice said anything other than Fahrenheit, people would be up in arms that it's the same stuff and that calling it a flanker is false advertising.

I like the old juice slightly better, but the new juice is having better performance for me.
08th October, 2014 (last edited: 20th October, 2014)

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Wear this one on your arms, then you can enjoy the skin scent all day. The top is beautiful (orange blossom maybe), but it's gone within an hour (maybe half an hour). The there's some powdery perfume smell that can last for a few hours, especially on clothing, and then there's the tobacco dry down that you can only enjoy if you can press your nose into it, which I recommend to get the most out of this fragrance.

Between the top notes dissipating and olfactory fatigue, this juice can be a trial for its wearer. Also, I have smelled this on someone else and I liked it less than I thought I would.

The top on this one is great, and the deodorant stick for this scent smells very good, but the performance of the juice makes it hard for me to give it a thumbs up, but I do, just barely.

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

My very first sniff told me it was too powdery so I passed, but then I heard enough people recommending it that I gave it a second chance and I like it, very much.

It's sweet and powdery, but there's a cedar-type smell to my nose that is very good and that balances the sweet and powdery. Taken altogether, these notes dance on my skin for hours. Great smell, longevity, and projection. The smell is great for the person wearing it and it's a crowd pleaser, more so than Bleu de Chanel, I have found, because this one is stronger, and the smell is better.

My other YSL is Opium Eau de Parfum, a bottle from around 1998. This La Nuit is a big step up from that, at least compared to that aged juice. The Opium edp is more of a powerhouse, but La Nuit is just right. This, Fahrenheit, and Platinum Egoiste are my favorites so far, with ADG Essenza also getting my attention.

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

This was a gift. I would almost give it a thumbs sideways because it has nice moments during the development, and it's a loud scent that could get you attention if you wanted; but ultimately it just doesn't smell that good to me, and no one around me has ever really liked it either.

Still, there are some good moments in the development of the fragrance.

Burberry for Women by Burberry

I'm male. My wife has this bottle and I've worn the juice several times. It's almost too much at the top, but the dry down is wonderful and addictive. I consider it unisex, but I like to wear some other feminine fragrances as well so it could just be me. She also has the flanker Brit Sheer which I'd like to swap for something else. (Her third bottle right now is Chanel No. 5 Eau de Parfum which works nicely on my skin - I love that stuff).

On my wife, the Burberry projection and sillage is just ok. I think she's light on the sprays.

I think this is a good fragrance for staying with its wearer during the day (it doesn't fade too quickly or give me olfactory fatigue).

Bleu de Chanel Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This one frustrates me a little because I cannot find a hook or signature to the juice that my nose can hold on to. It's too light for me, but I still like it, and everyone likes it, but everyone says it smells "fine."

It smells great on clothes. Some Bleu de Chanel on my shirt does not clash with other fragrances. It's a nice background scent like really nice laundry detergent.

It has vague similarities to Platinum Egoiste (and therefore AF Fierce), Acqua di Gio, and one of the Calvin Klein's (perhaps discontinued), I think, but I can't place which.

I like it, but it frustrates me that it's too light and/or gives me too much olfactory fatigue so I don't feel it with me. So almost a thumbs sideways.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Angel Men or A*Men is interesting and powerful juice, but as much as sampling it was interesting, I had to decide that it would be a bad habit to start wearing it. I could get used to the smell and enjoy it, but I didn't want to do that to the people around me, and when I later smelled this on someone else I was really glad I didn't buy a bottle. The stuff was so strong and distinctive that it has put me off the Thierry Mugler house, and I don't think I'll ever buy one of their fragrances.

The upside is that this is powerful stuff that presents different notes at different times and gets better and better as it dries, smelling almost like the world's best brownies at times.

Polo Red by Ralph Lauren

This smells similar to Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme. It's a sporty sweet fragrance. It's a genre I like, and I've spent a fair amount of time trying to decide which of these two I like more.

Eau Extreme projects longer, but as a skin scent, Polo Red is delicious and lasting. It will last on clothes and continue smelling good.

As skin scents, both are delicious. Polo will last longer, although, as people object to, the projection is gone within about 4 hours. I think Eau Extreme can project closer to six hours. The Polo Red is flirting with the line of being too sweet, so the Chanel is maybe a little safer/less sweet.

I find D&G the One more frustrating than Polo Red for poor longevity. Polo Red actually does pretty well if it gets on clothing. I think it's redundant to have this and Eau Extreme, but I like having one or the other.
07th October, 2014 (last edited: 08th October, 2014)

Michael Kors for Men by Michael Kors

I've been impressed with this edt. I received a sample from Macy's and I gave it a run out today. I have loved it. It was harsh for a few seconds on the very top, but quickly turned to sweet, spicy tobacco. It kept smelling good to me, whereas a couple others I've tried recently (Creed Aventus, Bleu de Chanel) have given me olfactory fatigue. Michael Kors for Men reminds me of D&G the One, from the Tobacco. This one definitely lasts better than D&G the One (although that one is wonderful for the first half hour). This Michael Kors is more linear. It stayed warm and sweet on my skin for four or five hours, compared to about two hours of the goodness I get from D&G. I have a fetish for Chanel, so I won't be buying a bottle of this right away, but I'll be keeping it in mind as an option.

Update: Wearing this one again, I can confirm that the performance is good. The smell itself is not quite for me though, so neutral overall.
15th September, 2014 (last edited: 19th January, 2015)

Chrome by Azzaro

This does remind a lot of CK One. It smells like a CK One flanker. The addition is more floral white musk, I think. When I visited Las Vegas last year, I smelled this in one or more casinos, as if it were being used in the ventilation system, so I already knew the smell and had positive associations with it.
16th July, 2014 (last edited: 19th January, 2015)

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

I love Chanel fragrances on women, but the few bottles I had bought for myself in the past had not included Chanel, until now. I asked for a Chanel EDT and Deodorant gift box for my birthday/father's day, and my wife chose this one over Allure Homme Sport because she knew the name "Egoiste."

So: I'm happy. It delivers on the Chanel class I love in the women's fragrances, and the performance is better than my previous purchase - D&G the One.

I can see myself loving the other Chanel's so much that I move on from this one, maybe, but I am loving the bottle (and the deodorant) I have, and I could wear it every single day.

I love the top notes. It's clean and fresh. The dry down has a Chanel signature to my nose, which is exactly what I wanted. But I love the top, so a single spray on the neck is a cost-effective application when I re-up twice during a day.
13th July, 2014 (last edited: 07th June, 2015)