Reviews by Q. R. Crumm

Silver by Al Rehab

I can't really say I get the whole "Exactly like Silver Mountain Water" idea that some people have with this. Simply because it is not exactly like Silver Mountain Water, nothing is.

AR Silver is lemon citrus rather than the blackcurrant and green tea that I get from SMW.

There are very vague similarities there in the other notes and accords, but AR Silver is certainly no Silver Mountain Water.

It is still very nice in it's own right though, and I am enjoying wearing it. For that it gets a thumbs up.
19th January, 2015

Bleu de Chanel Eau de Toilette by Chanel

I tried a good sized sample of this over the weekend and just could not get on with it.

The fragrance up-front is actually ok. But then I started to detect something lingering in the background that reminded me of something like fly-spray.

Something very harsh and chemical smelling.

Sorry to go against the majority here, but as soon as the the fly-spray smell hit the back of my throat it just ruined what was otherwise a nice fragrance.
22nd December, 2014

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

For the price point, you really can't go wrong.

Everything which has been mentioned here before I get. Cherry, Tobacco, but also a mild marzipan and something faintly medicinal or herbal in there too.

It is VERY powerful, two sprays are certainly enough (maybe even just one to the top of the chest).

It projects like a beast and the sillage IS neuclear as people have commented.

Great fragrance though, a very worthy addition, just go easy on the application.
25th November, 2014

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Horrible.

I really don't want to waste my time reviewing this abomination for too long...So I won't.

Avoid...
29th October, 2014

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Very nice.

On the opening there was some pine and almost like a mulled wine note, there's also some cherry coke in there too, together with a slight herbal tinge.

After drying down I have a very nice marzipan mixed with a little honey and the tiniest hint of cinnamon spiced apples.

Sillage is a little low, it's more of a skin scent, but it is great.

Perfect winter and christmas scent.
27th October, 2014

Erolfa by Creed

Very mild ammonia mixed with iodine and sea salt.

Could not really detect much else as it had faded after about two hours.

I like most of Creed's line, but this is poor for the price you pay, and although I can't name them, I know I have tried fragrances which are very similar but better and far cheaper.
21st October, 2014

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

I can very much understand the love for this.

But to my nose the spice is just too agressive, I wish it would be more creamy vanilla mixed with pipe tobacco (as the name suggests) but the spice kills it for me (I can literally feel it burning at my sinuses).

I think the cloves just went insane on my skin, and that is all I coudl smell the whole way through.

It does calm down a bit over time, but that overpowering spice is still there.

Has to be neutral from me, but I really did want to like this one.
20th October, 2014

Himalaya by Creed

I don't know if something can "smell" cold, but Himalaya really does live up to it's namesake.

When I tried it my immediate reaction was "this smells cold" which I found was a really odd thought to have, but it does.

Think of how it must smell when you are standing the the summit of everest and you will be close.

Extremely fresh and bracing, and, actually, very nice...

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

I really did not like this one.

I gave a good spray on my wrist whilst out shopping and kept checking it during the day.

Nothing changed, it just stayed the same all day long, and what was there was not pleasant.

I just felt like something (perhaps a slug or snail) had crawled onto my wrist, died, and then fallen off a few hours later.

The resulting smell of what was left was Neroli Portofino.

I know this may seem like a very strange thing to say, but the scent of NP just put me in mind of "dead things", even though I don't really know what "dead things" smell like.

Maybe it's just me...

No. 1 for Women by Clive Christian

My wife tried this on yesterday whilst we were out shopping.

All I got was a very powdery, generic type smell.

Pretty much stayed the same all the way through, longevity was poor as well, after around 3 hours it was gone.

I firmly believe this is just a gimmick for people with more money than sense.

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Not sure on this one.

On the opening I seem to get Strawberries and cream, or strawberry ice-cream, something like that, then it dries down into a very powdery sweeter version of the above.

Seems quite linear all the way through.

It's very pleasant though and not sickly as this type of scent could easily be, a nice winter gourmand.

Not full bottle worthy due to the price, but I think I feel a decant coming on...

EDIT:

I have tried this again today and am very pleased, cooler weather really brings out the best in this. It still has similar notes to what I said above, but they are less pronounced now and very mellow. Which makes it a little less sweet, and just plain nice.

I retract my previous statement, this is full bottle worthy.
14th October, 2014 (last edited: 21st October, 2014)

Hugo XY by Hugo Boss

I bought this due to quite a nice opening.

The drydown however is horrible and made me feel quite sick.

Passed this on after only one try.

Aventus by Creed

There is a reason Aventus has all the critical acclaim it does.

Basically it is fantastic!

I recently tried samples of Aventus and Green Irish Tweed, Aventus wins for me by a mile, I felt GIT to be a little bit "older guy" for me, and I am in my 30's. (maybe in 10 years or so).

Upon trying Aventus I have never experienced a scent that is such a good "all rounder", you could literally wear Aventus to any occasion at any time of year.

Aventus is the real deal, it is bang up to date and very modern, but not in a cheap and tacky "TOWIE" kind of way. More in a classy "modern gentleman" kind of way, it is very well composed, the balance is just perfect.

Even if no-one else likes this on me (which I find very unlikely) I will buy Aventus just for me...

Well done Creed.

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford

I am a huge Tom Ford fanboy, as far as I am concerned the guy is a genius.

But unfortunately this one just didn't float the boat for me.

All I got was generic pine, and not a great deal else, it was akin to a watered down Polo Green.

Tom's private blends tend to be great, but I think this is just too generic a formulation to warrant the asking price.

But I do understand why some will love it, hence a neutral.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I recently tried Green Irish Tweed and Aventus.

I think Green Irish Tweed is a little bit old for me, I am 38 but I just felt like it should be for an "older" guy (maybe in his 50's).

Perhaps when this was formulated (30 years ago next year) it was considered a younger man's type of fragrance? I don't know.

Then I tried Aventus, and this was exactly what I was looking for. I think Aventus is basically the modern Green Irish Tweed (if that makes sense?)

GIT is a nice fragrance, and I still give it thumbs up, but it just seemed a little bit "stuffed shirt" for me at the moment... maybe I should try it again in 10 years or so?

Mandarino di Amalfi by Tom Ford

Not bad, but I prefer Costa Azzura in this line.
13th October, 2014 (last edited: 01st December, 2014)

James Bond 007 Ocean Royale by James Bond

The fragrance is actually very nice.

Problem is it only lasts an hour, but at £20 for 30ml should I have expected more?

hence a neutral from me.
13th October, 2014 (last edited: 05th November, 2014)

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

Can't say I was impressed to be honest.

As it says on the bottle, it's spicy and goes off like a bomb.

Insane opening (which may be too much for some) but after an hour hardly anything is left.

Not bad, but burns itself out too quickly.
13th October, 2014

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Awesome opening.

But did not really like the drydown unfortunately. Shame because the opening is THAT good.
09th October, 2014

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

SMOKE!

That is all I could smell in the opening of this one, but not a mild cigar type smoke. More like an industrial coal burning smoke, extremely strong for the first hour or so.

The dry down has now mellowed to a gorgeous raspberry note backed up by an oriental or middle eastern fragrance that I can't quite put my finger on.

The stangest thing is, i'm not really getting leather as such, perhaps the vaguest hint is there but certainly not in the foreground. (must be my un-educated nose).

When I first sprayed this on I was a bit overwhelmed (the opening is SO powerful), and thought that if I smelled like this the entire day I wouldn't wear it again. But after an hour or so it calms down, and then you realise that this is excellent stuff.

Buy a sample first (I did) because this will certainly not be everyone's cup of tea, and go easy on the sprays!

But WOW, this is a real winner!
03rd October, 2014 (last edited: 09th October, 2014)

Force by Biotherm

Smells nice but just doesn't last.

Hence neutral.

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

I do love this one.

It has been my signature scent for about 6 years, and has always been in my (meagre) collection.

However, just recently I tend to find that it does not seem to last and project like it used to? reformulated perhaps? not sure.

The opening also seems a bit more chemical citrus than before too, not quite as smooth.

Maybe it's just me?

I still offer thumbs up for this as it does smell great, but the longevity seems to let it down now.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Despite all the positives I simply could not get along with this one.

I usually like a citrus fragrance, but this just made me feel a bit sick, I don't know what it was but it just didn't do it for me.

Unfortunately I tried this on myself instead of a test card at a Duty Free, and then had to sit with it for the entire flight.

Can't get on the bandwagon with this i'm afraid.

Azure Lime by Tom Ford

Very underrated this one.

I think it really depends on skin type with Azure Lime, some people get no longevity, others acceptable, and others good.

I guess Azure Lime must work well with my skin, I apply two sprays and the Lime stays for about 2 to 3 hours, then the dry down of sea-salt and ocean combined with a citrussy musk and still a vague hint of lime lasts for the rest of the day.

The actual scent itself is to die for, I have never experienced a summer scent that smells as fresh, rich and exciting as this one does, it literally makes your mouth water.

Sillage is quite close to the skin after the first hour or so, but I don't really care when I smell this great!

Thumbs up for this beauty.

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

This one is a bomb.

There is a lot going on: Patchouli, vanilla, chocolate, blackcurrant, creamy caramel and some kind of violet that I can't quite place.

As a guy who is ok with wearing more feminine "boy or girl" fragrances I think Black Orchid is a real winner (If not the best).

Only wear it in cold weather though (and preferably at night, Black Orchid is definitely a night fragrance) .

If you happen to spray this on youself in summer, be prepared to smell like rotting fruit for the day, it just does not play well with hot weather.

A true masterpiece this one though, it reeks of decadence and excess and may be too much for some, but if you want something a little special don't hesitate.

Two sprays is enough!

Polo by Ralph Lauren

WOW.

This one is a real power-house.

The first half-hour or so I nearly choked to death! all I could smell was tar or coal-tar mixed with some form of cheap disinfectant.

Then later some pine, and smoke and a few other bits and pieces I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Unfortunately all I really got from this one was nausea...Not for me at all.

Note: Go lightly with this one on the first use, because if you don't like it, it is impossible to scrub off!!