Reviews by mattandhiscat

Gentleman Eau De Parfum by Givenchy

Just when you thought the designer iris edp's had reached their last consumer battle, taken the cash and ran.. no, up pops this wonderful intelligent creation. Nothing new in what you recognise but certainly not a cocktail that is readily available at the time of writing, as ZGB points out it is a hybrid of dior homme and rive gauche and it works absolutely without question. In fact I've put off replacing my rive gauche and gone for this one, as it feels familiar and original at the same time (nice idea to use the lavender and iris). The quality is just enough to feel special and the performance is stellar on my skin. To summarise , I feel like Gentleman only edp is a barbershop fragrance dressed in a tuxedo.
12th January, 2019

Boss Bottled Intense by Hugo Boss

EDP

Take the original, don't alter the D.N.A but intensify every note and make it last longer, hey presto you have boss bottled intense EDP. Could fragrance blending be that simple and easy?, you'd think not with the amount of failed 'intense' flankers on the market. Hugo Boss have nailed it tho with this one, they have stuck with their classic and given it upgrades. Price, performance and quality are all on point for what is a respectful and honest improvment of a legend.
04th January, 2019

Acqua di Parma Colonia Quercia by Acqua di Parma

Interesting one this ..starts very fougere like with a minty edge caused by the geranium and retro oakmoss ..sits lovely on my skin and garnered an instant compliment from my girlfriend.. good start but the tonka feels a little confused in the dry down, it kind of pull's it in the wrong direction and ends up leaving everything a bit flat and cheapened..what began for me as a lovely niche fougere ended up being a bit boring and like a less vibrant ysl la nuit de l'homme (even in current formulation) ..nothing terrible in any case , just dissapointing from an adp perspective and maybe this one got rushed a bit in development. Sits close to the skin after an hour but lasts a good while.
29th December, 2018

Boss Bottled Oud by Hugo Boss

If you are familiar with boss bottled then imagine that but with added saffron and oud ..to me it's a match made in heaven (juicy apple,spice and smokey wood) and it works a treat. There are occasions I can almost detect a very slight tobbaco tinge in this, absolutely perfect for nights out and certainly exotic. Another great designer oud release. Longivity is very respectable with a good 7 hours of noticeable performance ..projection good in the first 2 hours ..settles into a sophisticated 1ft bubble there after.
28th December, 2018

XJ 1861 Zefiro by Xerjoff

Citrus in the opening but not too pronounced, then beautiful incense and woods (cedar and sandlewood) come into play with peppery spices, eventually I detect a slightly waxy iris that mimics the feeling of being in a candle lit church. This fragrance is deeply formal and straight faced seriousness..certainly classy and very niche smelling, difficult to picture when to wear this tho..maybe an overcast Sunday somewhere or an art gallery displaying statues. Longivity and projection are very good. The type of fragrance I like smelling all day on the back of my hand. Zefiro reminds me of royal oud, ivory route and the new Valentino uomo absolute with the Valentino being my favorite of the 4.
23rd December, 2018

Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

A really well blended fragrance from dunhill with smooth transition. The opening is all about neroli and petitgrain, bringing a orangey floral beginning with a touch of pepper but not overly obvious pepper, its just there slightly. Immediately I'm thinking of fragrances like ferrari bright neroli and neroli Portofino, what separate's icon from those is the transition to the lavender, vetiver and iris giving it more of a masculine appeal but retaining its bright energy. Icon smells fairly natural and lasts a reasonable amount of time on my skin, the bottle is the heaviest in my collection and is as appealing as any top end niche design but will present a problem in luggage weight allowance, price is fantastic also considering what your getting, well done dunhill.
14th December, 2018

Eight & Bob by Eight & Bob

EDP Version

The similarities to Fahrenheit 32 are initially very close but eight and bob is far denser and has a more linear dry down. What I mainly get is lemon and vanilla with hints of nuts (slight synthetic feeling but not annoying or plasticky), not in the same way as say chanel edition blanche either, more a sort of strange banana smell. Sounds weird but I really like this and it performs amazingly on my skin. Where as Fahrenheit 32 is a bit more floral and wispy in its dry down this one maintains its top and Base notes from start to finish, probably one of the most linear fragrances I've come across. Eight and Bob lasts around 10 hours on my skin with at least 5 hours of projection. I'd say this could be worn anytime of year and anywhere, a nice release and fun to wear.
12th December, 2018

Uomo Noir Absolu by Valentino

They got the name right for me, night time usage at its best, dark and seductive to the core (black shirt and candle lit night clubs), begin's with a peppery creamy sandalwood with a very faint whiff of iris or something that is giving it a waxy feel, as time goes on the cinnamon becomes apparent and the incense is allowed to gently shine all through the dry down of many hours. I'm reminded of fragrances like xerjoff's ivory route minus the smokey note and less dry, the price for this is completely justified regarding quality of ingredients, presentation and performance. Fabulous release by Valentino.
11th December, 2018

Join The Club : Ivory Route by Xerjoff

Initially ivory route for me is very mystical, like opening an old book from a museum. Why in my mind am I thinking about old world maps and touching rural Indian and napal antiques with a donkey overloaded with village goods and treasures . ..because xerjoff have created a fragrance that stirs up the olfactory in me , im thinking Indiana Jones and any film based on an adventure along a dusty path (goonies included) notes of dry sandlewood and spices create this, and I can pick up on smoked tea and a bit of really well done vanilla ..very high quality and very addictive to go through the journey of notes. The bottle itself looks like some treasure out of a sinbad film ..outrageous but well suited ..what a pleasure Ivory Route is to own.
06th December, 2018 (last edited: 08th December, 2018)

XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

The opening is fantastic ..full of sparkling citrus notes of the highest quality..the citrus then goes almost golden, imagine fresh limes and lemons in a pan but in the early stages of being caramelised . Then roughly ten minutes further in , out of nowhere the fragrance takes a sharp left turn and leaves a lot of the opening at the crossroad (slightly dissapointing but wait). I am then greeted with lavander with hints of light sweet honey and a beautiful hint of vanilla (All very high quality and luxurious) , cinnamon is gently cascading into play and I am reminded of fragrances like bogart pour homme (very close) or pure havane but never evidently synthetic or exactly note for note just a reminder (I don't actually think I can detect tobbaco as most say, more an illusion). Performance is perfect, never cloying or overbearing and really long lasting, just sitting across the skin,inviting attention, blending individually which each wearers skin chemistry into new variations. In the far dry down (9 hours on my skin) the whole composition although linear becomes powdery but still potent and addictive and just generally sexier. Naxos is a complete class act from start to finish and should completely enhance a night out for the person wearing this and the person snuggling into it. The presentation of my new bottle (2018 version) is probably the most beautiful item I own ..from the frosted glass to the heavy gold lid and stunning box it sits in. I couldn't be happier owning Naxos, they have pushed the presentation like a Swiss watch ..all worth it tho, my only issue is I am now completely intrigued and excited to try other Xerjoff's, especially as my disapproving fragrance journey girlfriend adores this one ..well she would have too.
05th December, 2018 (last edited: 19th December, 2018)

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

An absolute bargain for fall and winter, the fragrance has a lot of notes listed but mostly I get pine and tobacco with some spices and a bit of lavender. There is something making the whole composition slightly sweet which I enjoy in colder months..as reviewer's say it really is Christmas in a bottle. The other thing that makes this a special fragrance is the expert blending of so many ingredients, this has been created with a careful nose, you never feel like one ingredient is over added, a really well balanced winter treat. Performance is average but can be helped with extra applying and spraying clothes. The only negative for me is the piece of material they put around the bottle that gathers dirt and constantly moves..easy to take off tho like I did.
29th November, 2018

Versace pour Homme Oud Noir by Versace

Versace oud noir is for me possibly the best designer oriental fragrance out there at the moment in 2018, with regards to the performance issues of current ysl la nuit and the oriental genre being unpopular at the moment. Yes I detect the patchouli like oud but it has been tamed by spices and typical oriental notes that swing my thoughts more towards sensual glamour. I'm reminded of fragrances like endymion and ysl la nuit but only briefly as oud noir is more dry and woodsy. This is a really well put together fragrance given the budget the perfumer has been given to work with..I don't see how the perfumer could of got anymore out of his brief really. Overall a very seductive and sensual creation by versace and a must have for oriental fragrance lovers. Longivity is 4/5 hours on my skin with average projection, a fragrance that is meant to be detected around the shirt collar at close quarters.
27th November, 2018

Coach Platinum by Coach

This is a great effort by coach in this genre, to me..it's 65% dior sauvage and 20% Aventus 15% leather and patchouli , as if you've actually layered dior and creed. A really cheeky offering but obviously not original. What suprised me was the fantastic leathery dry down with a touch of patchouli..the fragrance continually amuses me in its composition and blatant rip off, to the point I just think oh sod it. Projection is big and the longivity is very good, 7/8 hours of solid performance. My girlfriend really enjoys this but why wouldn't she as she loves sauvage and aventus. If your a fan of sauvage/aventus/club nuit/acqua Di gio profumo/Dylan blue/360 red...etc etc, this is well worth a try, no points for originality but praise indeed for producing a well made and excellent performing option.
21st November, 2018

Back to Black by By Kilian

Smells like manuka honey, which is a little off putting if truth be told ..I'm not a big fan of the smell of honey, but I can tolerate it in a measured dose, this however is overkill for me. If the almond vibe was a little more amped I'd probably have given it a enthusiastic thumbs up. If you like the smell of golden Virginia rolling tobbaco on steroids and find dark rich honey a lovely smell then this is the one for you. My girlfriend didn't like this at all and said I stink of rolling tobbaco, I tried to be more positive about it but in the end I had to agree with her.
20th November, 2018

Boss The Scent Intense by Hugo Boss

An easy reach fragrance with great appeal. In all honesty I really enjoy this, the original has been intensified massively, it's almost a fiery ginger version with a slight tartness in the beginning. The synthetic vanilla is lightly present throughout to add a slightly sweet mass market sales appeal, if this was the intention then bravo it's worked. I do get a faintest drop of leather in this but only to ground the main notes from becoming overly nauseating. Imagine Perry Ellis 360 red with a touch of vanilla and a bit of leather and you'd be close, finally after a couple of hours this settles into a kind of soapy orange, really pleasing overall and something I reach for often in a hurry.
31st October, 2018

Prada L'Homme Intense by Prada

Soft and playful but also elegant and dressy..this is well blended and the iris mixture almost tastes edible but not in a gourmand way, more a chalky pastille way, like parma violet confectionary. Unisex in my opinion and very fancy dandy for a trend setting male. I'm Slightly dissapointed by performance as I would of liked a little more silage and projection but ultimately this is really classy and sexy. This is different enough from uomo intense and dior homme to warrant a purchase in my opinion, although it is iris dominant there is enough of a twist to get me excited with the excellent use of amber and tonka, all in all a solid well put together night out fragrance.
28th October, 2018

Pure XS by Paco Rabanne

I sort of like this ..reason being, there's something in this that gives off a really clean sophisticated vibe ..I think it may be incense and myrrh mixed with the fresh notes..simular to the magical clean and incensy profumo or bleu de chanel but in no way as accomplished as those two. The sweetness from the artificial vanilla in the mix kind of spoils things a little in my opinion, instead of intensifying the fragrance it just blankets over all the other promising notes. Performance isn't great either, roughly 3hrs of note worthy performance. Great chunky glass bottle and an ok fragrance inside..glimpses of something great but never quite getting there, a weak mix of Dylan blue and la nuit de l'homme.
26th October, 2018

Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords by Penhaligon's

On the penhaligons box the only notes listed are Bergamot, neroli and oak moss, yes this is true but there are far more little twists and turns than that. On first blast I'm greeted with a gorgeous citrus medly with a touch of basil, natural and slightly sharp with a good dose of oakmoss and a grain of lavender, fantastic sophisticated beginning that really sets the tone and flirts with fougere territory, then in development Douro becomes nice and soapy with just the right amount of neroli, all against the backdrop of the oak moss which is in good quantity, I get 4 hours of performance which isn't bad. I'm a lover of chypre fragrances and this really is one of the better ones I've tried. If you like things like chanel pour monseir or aqua di parma colonia then this is a better option in my opinion, penhaligons have kept things of a high quality and been much more generous with oakmoss (or have allowed the oakmoss allowance to shine). A masterpiece in this genre.
26th September, 2018

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

There are many dupes of this fragrance, some are going for high end designer prices, having tried a few myself I really don't think any can come close to the exceptional balance of tobbaco vanille. After the initial spray it all seems a bit over scrambled for me, I get every note listed all at once with a prominent clove smell that dissapates ..after 10 minutes the magic really starts to take shape. Rich rolling tobbaco appears that feels laced with a touch of honey, dried fruits keep things from going too syrupy this is the perfect balance. Then for a rare occasion I am greeted by a stunning vanilla, vanilla is a note I don't crave for, but not in this creation, it's smells plush and addictive. When every note is revealed you are left with a linear tobacco/vanilla combo with little whiffs of spice. This is real luxury stuff and a 50ml bottle may seem expensive but I'd expect a bottle to last me years, incredible performance that never really goes away, especially when sprayed in a trendy beard. A match made in heaven for those weekends away in colder surroundings. When this first came out it was very polarizing to many people, back in 2007 who wanted to smell like a pouch of their grandads rolling tobacco including me, but now most women and men find this universally appealing, with help from the current industrial trends and programs like Peaky Blinders. Tom Ford really did show some exceptional vision with this fragrance, like the very best designers ..they are all gifted with fantastic intuition and back in 2007 it took balls to release tobacco vanille, stunning luxury.
21st September, 2018

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Sweet pineapple is what I mostly get , smells a bit like club nuit intense but without the woodsy birch note..great performance and overall a very pleasing fruity gourmand. The packaging and design are of a futuristic punk nature and I fully buy into that, the scent feels very full bodied and way out there in terms of creativity. It would be very easy to write this off as a sweet mess but for me this is very calculated and deliberate, great stuff.
16th September, 2018

Dior Homme Sport (2012) by Christian Dior

I find this fragrance very calming, like the sort of scent I want to wear for myself. Those moments on the hotel balcony when you take in the view by yourself with a beer. It's the iris and citrus mixing together, one is keeping me invigorated while the other is keeping me grounded and relaxed. I don't feel this has anything to do with sport, in fact it has more to do with elegance and being calm. The ingredients in this feel of good quality if only they stuck around a bit longer. A Very pleasent summer cologne.
10th September, 2018

Bay Rum by D.R. Harris & co.

A balanced bay rum ..not too much of one thing, restrained use of spices and kept fresh, gone in 15 minutes but nice and invigorating, I prefer pinauds version tho as it reminds me of fireball gob stoppers (bursting with cinnamon) and cheaper.
10th September, 2018

Italian Bergamot by Ermenegildo Zegna

As you'd expect from a company that harvests it's own bergamot, a very pleasing natural bergamot opening , rustic and organic in smell and incredibly refreshing, ten minutes in and the neroli begins to carry it through, then i get a small twist of rosemary that keeps things traditional and again rustic. Once this has settled on my skin it smells like I've been picking bergamot fruit and bits of shrubbery. The general smell is one of coastal italian sophistication and balance with all ingredients perfectly aligned for a linear 3/4 hour duration. A little pricey but there are some good quality oils used and the bottle looks very grand and bold with a magnetic cap.
07th September, 2018

Gucci Guilty Black pour Homme by Gucci

Starts off promising with a modern fougere type opening..a fougere for the young office arse hole. If the top notes stayed around longer (the lavander) and developed with more character and creativity guilty black would be as welcome as say ysl rive gauche. In any case the fragrance morphs into a sporty shower gel aroma and then dies away after 3 hours. Smells positively clean and will be pleasent to some of the opposite sex.
04th September, 2018

Acqua di Iris by Ermenegildo Zegna

A very lively and fresh take on iris, not too disimular to dior homme eau, I actually prefer this tho, the fragrance really projects and eventually settles down nicely, good for a night out and very affordable, the introduction is almost resinous but that dissappear's quickly, I can detect the labdanum but it's not over done and the violet helps keep things masculine. My first hidden gem of 2018 ..I can only find it on ebay.
02nd September, 2018

David Beckham Homme by Beckham

Very good for the price, citrus and wood is what I get, everything has been rounded out and prevented from being harsh by a touch of leather I'm presuming. Smells somewhere between dish washing liquid and terre de hermes, creates a very pleasent silage but sniffed up close it isn't very pleasent to my nose. For me at this price point (which is ridiculous) Beckham homme is a good choice, not better than instinct or intimately tho. 3 hrs on my skin with an hour of projection.
02nd September, 2018

Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior

Sensual and wispy..citrus and rose with a nice twist of ambergris. The rose is of high quality and it sounds silly but it feels like a niche oud creation without the oud. That's my experience with high quality rose, I always seem to be smelling them with oud these days, so it's fantastic to find a fragrance that showcases the high quality rose. Certainly unisex and I'm reminded of fragrances like hamman bouquet and habit rouge, if Demachy had added a drop of vanilla we'd practically have guerlinade in a bottle. Maybe the ultimate suit and tie fragrance, I could imagine this been worn at the Opera or theatre, imagine listening to the flower duet and catching whisps of amber nuit..does life get anymore elegant? Longivity is very good and projection is perfectly fine, the price is completely justified in my opinion.
01st September, 2018

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

A masculine citrus fragrance with lavender and leather giving it an 80's barber shop vibe, you can clearly see this is in the aramis family as I get a slight resemblance to Havana (moist green) and the original aramis (oak moss leather). Tuscany however is far lighter with good use of citrus and more wearable in modern times, especially with the current 2018 creations like Tom ford's amphrecite and gucci guilty absolute. No doubt this will have lost some of its back bone in reformulation, but the current formula is very light and modern in a good way and the general concept isn't lost. Overall I'd say Tuscany is a mature citrus fragrance for a no nonsense man.
23rd August, 2018

Uomo Intense by Valentino

A smoother and more creamy version of dior homme intense, much more approachable, like orange ice-cream with a touch of leather and a good dose of iris ..high quality and beautiful bottle, longivity is a good 12 hours. Would suit any situation dressed up and cosy nights in.
09th August, 2018 (last edited: 02nd November, 2018)

Emporio Armani Stronger With You by Giorgio Armani

Bubble gum usual ..nutty twist ..weird that armani have the decent code profumo, but release this ..anyway , nice but is it needed.
09th August, 2018