Reviews by mattandhiscat

L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a very personal enjoyment conflicting smelling fragrance. In my opinion it isn't anything special ..the opening is too sour for a rose dominant fragrance ..it needs 5 minutes to relax the citrus... when the opening accords have faded you are left with a strange spicy sour rose smell that is reminiscent of paul Smith roses for women (which is scratchy) ..i write like I'm anti rose accord here but I'm not it's fantastic if used correctly...the rose is the dominant accord for me in this and it's a futuristic synthetic rose that's spoilt by sourness, not your adp essenza type that is natural and there to add and bolster a soapy citrus or even paco rabanne one million cologne that is straight up honest mass market rose. I think this is running too far ahead rose before anyone is bothered or cares, like a trendy Italian jacket that could set on fire and melt your skin within seconds. I'll catch up with this scent eventually (I bought 100ml blindly) but I think it might be ysl's attempt at a dior sauvage gone wrong or right in some ways, I much prefer the l'homme intense version if I'm honest in a hit and miss minefield of ysl creativity.
18th July, 2017 (last edited: 19th July, 2017)

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

I get a boozy edible caramel with fruits ..i don't get a straight up whiskey as such ..more a whiskey liqueur like drambuie, a very enjoyable gourmond type fragrance but contrary to others I get average performance in projection and longivity. I won't be replacing this but I will spray lots of it and enjoy it while I have it. I see this as a close quarters type fragrance, one for the cinema or a cosy night in. The original A*men d.n.a which is the backbone of these flankers could be paired with literally anything including sweaty socks and it will at worst smell interesting. I'm not in a rush tho to build up a mugler collection ..its a one in one out policy for me.
11th June, 2017

Uomo by Salvatore Ferragamo

I really enjoy wearing this..although it is dominated by a sugary coffee note it is excellently blended with orange blossom and the ambroxin. It never gets too sickly either, When it first goes on it feels unisex but once the dry down starts it gets more masculine and you'd swear there was a touch of iris in the 4hr mark. It gets lots of positive attention from the females, which surely is the main reason we wear scents. I do think ferragamo have hit the mainstream jackpot with this, usually this sort of blend is reserved for the niche fragrances although the syntheticness gives that away.
07th June, 2017

Tobacco Collection Rich Warm Addictive by Zara

I get coconut and honey with some florals, tiny drop of Tobbaco in the dry down, a very sexy fragrance on a confident man as it seems extremely unisex. The honey seems to be the loudest note in this and it is done extremely well without smelling synthetic, I get decent performance for a cheapie. so what we have here is a solid cosy/warm higher end designer/niche scent sold by Zara in Zara packaging.
28th May, 2017

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Strangely addictive scent that is feminine and masculine at the same time, I can't stop smelling it. It's a sweet medicinal woody scent laced with some rose and maybe a touch of vanilla. I suppose you could say this is a gourmand type of fragrance, it has a real sense of elegance about it and is never overpowering, It's blended extremely well , the rose and vanilla calm down the oud perfectly. Performance wise i'd say it creates a close quarters scent bubble that lasts around 4/6 hours, good for things like weddings and meet and greet events or a cosy night in with a loved one.
23rd May, 2017 (last edited: 24th May, 2017)

Only The Brave by Diesel

One of the easiest scents I own and if truth be told I like it (not buy another bottle when I'm done like it), I've received a few compliments while wearing this, It obviously projects well. Tipsy ladies do enjoy a safe sweet synthetic fragrance in a British pub, mainly because they can actually smell you And unless she's a fragrance fanatic will not care if it's synthetic and especially in a pub. The scent will never win any awards for construction and smell but it's a very good all year rounder and if you can get it for a good price as I did then great ,(I like the violet note in this) the bottle design is a bit crap, all in all a safe fragrance with good projection and silage, It's like a concept prototype fragrance that needs better quality ingredients and craftsmanship but the promise is there. Uses for this scent include walking the dog and busy pubs.
02nd May, 2017 (last edited: 17th July, 2017)

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

You'd swear this was a François demachy creation ..it has that resinous vibe that's so abundant in dior homme parfum and dior eu sauvage parfum..I did actually think that this was a carbon copy of dior homme parfum until the classy cherry and vanilla appear making it very cosy and edible. I do really enjoy this and it could be the ultimate date fragrance just as dior homme intense is. If your a fan of dior homme parfum but find it a bit too serious give this a go. This is one of those designer scents that could be packaged differently and priced twice as much..it's niche quality .
07th April, 2017

Jimmy Choo Man by Jimmy Choo

Opens very bright and fruity..must be the melon and pineapple..slowly becomes a bit floral and synthetic with a slight hint of leather ..I find it very feminine and kinda reminds me of a lot of generic female fragrances. I do like this scent tho and it's at a great price point at the time of writing, I think it will garner lots of compliments due to its universally pleasing smell but it's not interesting or unique in anyway.
02nd March, 2017

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I would imaging those luxury super yacht's smell of this throughout ..coconut and lime are the notes that I can detect mainly and they are of the highest quality and supported by white rum, the overall feel is like taking a 5* Caribbean holiday without actually having to leave the house. This could also be a great treatment for mild depression. Totally unisex but would be more interesting on a gentleman with a zest for life. I think I actually sniffed the tester card dry (it's mid winter here in northern england).
02nd March, 2017

Eau Sauvage Parfum by Christian Dior

This is blended fantastically well and has wonderful performance..each stage evolves slowly over the course of the day ..the overall feel of this fragrance is like others have said, no nonsense straight to the point. It doesn't care who likes it and who doesn't but you will smell it. Very masculine scent with bergamot used in the opening and myrrh and vetiver used in the mid notes, in the final stages which remain potent I can detect an orange peel and slight vanilla that I also detect in dior homme parfum, very faint tho and signature demachy. Price point represents an absolute bargain for the quality and performance.
27th February, 2017 (last edited: 28th June, 2017)

H.M. by Hanae Mori

What a fantastic fragrance that seems to give you a little bit of everything without losing the plot or ever smelling cheap ..I love the lemon and mint combination although I don't think mint is listed so maybe it's the lavender tricking my nose ..and then that cheeky little gourmand dry down including (sweetish vanilla) ..this seems to have it all in great quality . This will suit all seasons and in my opinion even tho it is very close to being a gourmand in the dry down it never does as the floral notes take it on another flight path and keep it linear so it stays fresh. It's a sort of Issey miyake meets Jean Paul gaultier le male. The cap of the bottle is the only cheap bit about this fragrance ...the rest is creative class.
31st January, 2017

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Simply the best eau de toillete available...its refreshing yet dirty ..its annoying yet captivating..its edible yet poisonous ..be assured ...every lady I've come across has gone a bit strange over this.
28th January, 2017 (last edited: 22nd June, 2017)

Nuit d'Issey by Issey Miyake

After a very bright citrus fruity opening it transcends into a hippy type fragrance with a beautiful incense dry down ..I really enjoy this fragrance as it's a bit different from my others ..I get vibes of kokorico and aqua Di gio profumo..lasts a good while for an edt also ..projects good too.

*the parfum version is also excellent but focuses more on the patchouli and insence and as you'd expect has better longivity, is less projecting but has a deeper closer to the skin vibe*

both excellent in my opinion and my favorite flankers from Issey miyake.
27th January, 2017

Ultra Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I can see how this fragrance would divide opinion..it's very childish and feminine in the opening but for me it cheers me up and uplifts me ..the dry down is one of my all time favorites when all the comotion of the fruity tops notes have faded a little and that gorgeous vanilla and slight cinnamon can play a part. Performance is beastly and would be great for a fun night out. I'd say this is an exceptional gourmand for the young modern crowd, I also think it's far better than the reformulated original. There have been some ups and downs with the flankers but this and popeye are very special.
25th January, 2017 (last edited: 04th March, 2017)

Bayolea by Penhaligon's

I enjoy the opening of Bayolea..I can really detect the lemongrass note and I've not tried many fragrances that use lemongrass so prominently and so well ..usually expensive air freshner or room spray tend to use it. I also detect musk..pepper and woods and a touch of lavender ..very uptown and classy barber shop ..only issue is that it doesn't perform as well as I'd like, after 3 hrs I'm struggling to smell anything, on a par with neroli Portofino in performance and like portofino a very attractive refreshing summer cologne.
25th January, 2017

Dior Homme Eau for Men by Christian Dior

Another magical flanker to the original (and surely better than dior homme sport)..this has all the d.n.a of the original but executed in a fresh and lively almost citric way with a bright iris and toned down leather. I could easily wear this in the summer and winter so all seasons are covered and performance is better than the original dior homme for me but not better in note development. You'd think all these flankers are getting a little silly but each one is a superb creation and I can't think of many other fragrances with such good flankers. I think this fragrance is one of those go to fragrances when your in a rush and don't have time to think about it.
17th January, 2017 (last edited: 04th February, 2017)

Bulgari Man in Black by Bulgari

The bottle has a great design..feels lovely to hold with that frosted black Base and nice sprayer so top marks on presentation. The fragrance is also very pleasent and reminds of a grown up version of ck shock..fruity spicy iris tobbaco and a touch of tea. I get about 4 hrs of note worthy performance which is dissapointing, just like dolce and gabbana the one edp, while they are doing their job they are good crowd pleasing evening fragrances but need reapplying. I won't buy this again tho.
15th January, 2017 (last edited: 02nd May, 2017)

Intimately Beckham Men by Beckham

Smells clean ..sweet and not too heavy on the musk..nothing much to complain about, in fact I like it, lady's could also wear this and if it were packaged and promoted in a gucci/versace hype nobody would bat an eye lid. If I had a complaint I'd say there is nothing unique about it so it may be good for those days when you can't be bothered.
27th December, 2016

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

This has to be in my top 5 fragrances of all time..truelly a piece of genius to incorporate that petrol/violet smell into a fresh green type of scent..I'm talking about the 2016 formulation which I don't think has drastically suffered from reformulation..my last purchase of this would of been in 1998. I prefer the original over the absolute version, I personally don't like that strange sweaty curry smell in absolute.. the aqua version is very nice with added cucumber notes.
24th December, 2016 (last edited: 17th January, 2017)

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

I had a friend in the 90's in college who wore this ..I didn't love it at the time and I was never going to interfere with another guys signiture scent so I blanked it out for 18 years. Recently tried this again and had a few flash backs to my college years, I love how fragrances do that ..Fahrenheit and Calvin klein escape also transport me back to fun times with girls and night club's and doing very little college work. Anyway this scent is actually really good stuff, very lightly spiced apple and pineapple with a watery feel and pretty respectable performance ..fits in with no fuss in today's fresh type scents without any reason to say it's dated.
24th December, 2016

Spanish Leather by Geo F Trumper

This is what gentlemen would wear to the berni inn with the family I reckon ..imperial leather soap in concentrated form is what I get ..floral, extremely soapy and a classy scent from a time gone by.
22nd December, 2016 (last edited: 06th June, 2017)

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

Nice and bright with good top notes of lime and ginger ..office friendly and just an overall clean and fresh out of the shower scent. Bit of suede in the dry down to give a bit of interest. I get good performance from this, my work mate gave this to me because on him it has miserable performance. Sits very well amongst the other blue scents like polo blue and the 2016 versace Dylan blue.
04th December, 2016

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Citrus opening ..a very good grapefruit and tangerine/cucumber and a lovely spearmint/basil, The spearmint in this is what stands out for me as a fantastic addition ..a very faint fahrenheit d.n.a in the background and very good performance. You can smell the quality in this that is typical of all dior fragrances, a pretty safe blind buy and will be a great leftfield summer fragrance. Demachey really has put some creativity into this ...he didn't just throw a load of sea notes at it and put it in a blue bottle.
03rd December, 2016 (last edited: 18th July, 2017)

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

From my point of view this isn't a man's fragrance it's not your dior intense or one million borderline genius ..it's a superb female fragrance that swings into the edge of masculine like Marc Jacobs decadence does ..so good in fact I purchased this for my mum over chanel for her 60th.
03rd December, 2016

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

I really enjoy coconut scents and this is a good example..I also get fruits and a bit of spice. Has simular vibes to d&g the one (parfum) and bronze goddess by Estee Lauder. A lot of the time with the use of coconut the performance of many scents I've tried can be poor and this isnt great either ..I do find spraying my clothes helps tho. It would be good to pair this with other grooming products like coconut shaving foams and shower gels etc. 100% unisex and a good bargain online. This has a mild d.n.a to the original but this for me is more wearable. If you detest synthetic blends then this isn't going to work for you but the silage won't reflect that, it's only when you put your nose right up to it.
26th November, 2016 (last edited: 27th February, 2017)

James Bronnley Original by Bronnley

Starts very bright and tingly in true eu de toilette fashion and then begins to reveal a wonderful month blanc individual type vibe ..maybe a bit of penhaligons endymion without the coffee. I almost would say it's a sort of Oriental type scent to my nose but then after reading Colins review I do picture a lot of what he said ..it does feel very Britishly classic but yet at the same time modern with no sign of any connection to the fougere type of classics. In the dry down I detect a very faint vanilla/leather and I swear I almost got a whiff of strawberry ..this does get me trying to work things out in a good way ..probably way off in my description but it's certainly been fun and enjoyable wearing this. I've also received a compliment wearing this, which I rarely do with scents.
27th October, 2016

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

For the first hour all I could smell was old lady's perfume and vinegar then after an hour it settled into a floral talc smell which I liked. I find the deep dry down far more pleasurable than the first hour, I felt a little embarrassed wearing this after spraying my hand in liverpool city centre as it feel's so dated in a bad way ..thankfully the dry down is less potent. I can see this suiting a man in his 60's in a formal occasion. I also think the scent itself didn't suit my skin chemistry.
25th October, 2016

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Wonderful delicate masculine/feminine waxy iris scent with great structure ..groundbreaking in many respects regarding the use of iris..takes a stroke of genius and bravery to launch this sort of fragrance in a well established house..for the scent and originality it has to be in the masterpiece bracket. Performance is just right for me ..projects two feet and last's most of the day without ever becoming cloying or irratating. The fragrance is that good I often just smell the cap and smile.
11th October, 2016 (last edited: 23rd March, 2017)

Dior Homme Parfum by Christian Dior

Very rich woody resinous honey laced dark leather with a powdery iris background. Performance is 24 hours on my skin with 14 hours of worthy projection. Suits autumn and winter ideally ..the bottle and scent scream luxury and class. Anyone who is a fan of leather and wood should just blind buy this ..I'm new to heavy niche type scents and buying this i jumped into the deep end I suppose. Dior homme keep releasing great flanker's and this is no exception, could well be demachys finest. This surely won't escape reformulation so maybe now is the time to stock up. 75ml is going to last me an eternity as I only use 2/3 sprays and it's not something I'd use all the time..it's a treat when I do. I had a great layering experience when after 6 hrs of wearing dior homme parfum I sprayed 3 of dior homme intense.
06th October, 2016 (last edited: 24th January, 2017)

Eton College Collection by Taylor of Old Bond Street

Having recently tried Tom ford's neroli Portofino I fail to see why this is any worse ..the composition seems pretty simular and the ingredients seem like they are of high quality ..longivity is about 2 hours as a skin scent which is the same as Portofino on my skin ..this costs between 15/25 English pounds ..Portfino will cost you 150 pound and you will have the same experience ..if you like putting money into a shredder or wiping your behind on crisp ten pound notes buy Portofino..if you are savvy and don't care for the label buy this. Many compare neroli Portofino to 4711 and that is true but Eton college is identical in my opinion .
03rd October, 2016