Reviews by mattandhiscat

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Recently tried this again as I've enjoyed revisiting 80's fragrances with a bit of oomph..give me chanel anteaus any day over this. The opening to be fair is quite nice and soapy but in the dry down it stinks of cat pee. This modern version is pointless really as the reformulation has left this in tatters..shame really because I had a bottle of this as a kid and it was very popular and in no way smelt this weird. I think ysl should pull this one in and admit defeat, the ingredients that made this special just aren't there anymore.
04th September, 2017

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

All the ingredients and notes that people mention I totally get ..I've experienced red wine some days and other days I've got a clear sense of oud, but mainly I always detect a chocolatey/vanilla rose that must be brought about by patchouli. I could really see a sophisticated gentleman wearing this, it smells very decidant and alluring, equally an interesting female could wear this, (those with a 50's poka dot style) , perfect for a country house wedding or dates. I do get this image of a romantic Fortnam and Masons style picnic in some London park, an amateur cricket game going on in the background. If noir de noir can provoke my imagination so positively it's surely a winner for me. Expensive but worth it on this occasion I think.
01st September, 2017

Aqua pour Homme Atlantique by Bulgari

Take the original bvlgari aqua's marine accord and add a small dose of patchouli, a bit of ambroxin , some generic and synthetic aquatic and citrus ingredients and you have atlantique. This performs extremely well on my skin, I get 8hrs of note worthy performance, after 8hrs I washed my hand and it came back to life for a further 2hrs projecting. Clamnole made a good observation ..it does have a big resemblance to polo blue, so for me this is a very good mainstream freshy, and out of all the blue bottle fragrances in the designer game it performs the best. No points for originality tho.
30th August, 2017

Bulgari Man Extreme by Bulgari

This doesn't half remind me of chanel edition blanche..it's that creamy/balmy, lemon/citrus vibe..I was really pleasantly suprised by this, I have previously owned bvlgari man in black and it's the same bottle shape, but nothing simular in smell. I find this one has one of the best performance I have come across..it projects about 2ft and leaves a wonderful playful classy silage for a good few hours. Perfect for a night out or daytime activity. If you are on the market for a citrus cologne that performs well , smells classy and crowd pleasing then consider this. I would even go as far as saying it smells niche, it certainly holds its own with higher end citrus based fragrances.
30th August, 2017

Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue by Versace

Certainly a crowd pleasing fragrance this one..it's a fruity aquatic with a dark undertone of incense and patchouli. Versace has basically created their signature blue fragrance to rival the other fashion houses version. It's got a bit of the ambroxin heavy dior sauvage ..a bit of bleu de chanel's incense and versaces own fruity mix (invictus style), slightly sweet for an aquatic which adds to the appeal with the lady's. I had the shower gel as part of my package and the shower gel is fantastic. Overall there isn't anything to dislike about this fragrance and it seems to perform reasonably well too. A modern solid release by versace and totally relevant in a crowded genre.
29th August, 2017

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford

Immediately ralph lauren polo green springs to mind, my dad's signiture fragrance as a child and the one I used to sneak a few sprays of before meeting friends on my bmx lol. I don't remember it smelling as opulent and as well refined as this tho. This feels much more dense and moist with an updated modern tone. In many ways this is to polo green as grey vetiver is to guerlain vetiver. Tom ford obviously has a great respect for the classics, and he can clearly see the iconic fashion statements that these fragrances have created. I think this fragrance would be great for a board meeting ..a round of golf (mainly the club house)..countryside hotels etc. Performance is very good on my skin with a moderate projection which doesn't dominate a social setting.
26th August, 2017

Millésime Impérial by Creed

One of the most casual summer scents I've had the pleasure of trying ..like many have said ..melon and salt water ..some floral's simular to the ones used in silver mountain water. This would make a great day time summer scent but can be used anytime really in summer. This and Virgin island water would make a great double act for a nice hot vacation. Don't understand how this could offend anyone as it's pretty much the scent of a beach , with one of those men selling a slice water melon you see so often.
25th August, 2017

Karma by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

Strong synthetic orange and patchouli are the stand out notes for me with the other listed notes adding a bit of mystery and wood...it's not a bad smell for say a bar of soap, but other than that it's too badly constructed in its spray format for me..it come's across as an idea, or concept fragrance that needs refining. Smells ok from a distance. The finished product that has been expertly crafted would be Bvlgari aqua amara.
22nd August, 2017

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

There isn't much point in going into detail here..this fantastic scent has been reviewed and screwtanised to death ..all I will say is that to me it represents a piece of history, very much like adp colonia and chanel pour monsier and many more. With regards to its performance. ..if this fragrance was a beast or projected like a lunatic it would change the whole dynamic , and for me part of its charm is its lightness and airyness. I read somewhere that John lennon enjoyed this scent , Wether that's true or not isn't proven, but it's funny to think of him wearing this in bed with yoko in Amsterdam for a week. Generally speaking I see this scent as a piece of timeless sophistication that feels fresh and thankfully light.
17th August, 2017

Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée by Guerlain

Refreshing summer spritzer of excellent quality..hints of the original vetiver but without the old fashioned tone (or toned down). I appreciate the quality lime and mint that combine to make a realistic mojito smell in the opening ..I don't get much rum tho, but I do get a mysterious hint of herbs. doesn't really last more than 3hrs on my skin so I use it liberally in the summer ..a more up market 4711 alternative and a great scent for mingling in party's or french coach journeys ..holidays etc. It's one of those scents that lift your spirits and make you happy like creed Virgin island water. The guerlain quality is there for sure, spray liberally and enjoy the good times. I think the performance issues may be due to a reformulation as I have the very latest bottle shape, the Basenotes (vetiver) just aren't rich enough to support the scent. I can see how this review may seem a bit hit and miss, but it's one of those scents for me that I really enjoy as a spritzer, albeit the finest spritzer available.
16th August, 2017 (last edited: 21st August, 2017)

Oud Fleur by Tom Ford

I get 3 fragrances in 1 here ..in the oppening two hours i get a feminine rose floral fragrance ..in the mid section a fantastic oudy masculine creation and in the final 12hrs a resinous black orchid. The complexity is wonderful and although there is a tiny bit of a synthetic feel , overall it represents good value for me as im getting a whole day of development and complexity ..i've had compliments as it bounces off my skin all day. For me this is the most interesting tom ford oud and the best (i like oud wood also but its one dimensional). Fans of rose and black orchid are in for a treat. The scent grows on me with every wearing and sometimes i'll catch a hidden note that ive not noticed before. I had a simular experience with guerlains l'instant edt ..it sort of hooks you in until your totally addicted. I dont think this is for everyone ..people that are going to compliment you on this, or appreciate it for themselves will have had a positive experience with the oud fluer notes in their past.
11th August, 2017 (last edited: 12th August, 2017)

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

One of the classiest fragrances i own (images of 007 in a sharp suit, spying on a target in Istanbul or Athens come to mind) , amazing when you consider the price point...i get a freshly washed linen and tobbaco with a creamy tonka, almost middle eastern in feel. This is great with projection within the first hour and then settles to a beautiful gentle creamy cotton blanket smell but doesn't last too long 3/4hrs ..totally wearable in any situation and not too overpowering or obnoxious that it cant be worn in the summer. I blind bought this and it turned out to be one of my best blind buys along with nautica voyage and perry ellis red. I find this vaguely simular to mont blanc individuel and jpg le male..but in my opinion this is better than both (or more wearable and flexable)..certainly blended better and less synthetic, i'd loved to have tried the pre-formulated version..fantastic find.
09th August, 2017 (last edited: 31st August, 2017)

L'Homme Idéal by Guerlain

An excellent delicate fragrance that is typical guerlain..excellent balance and good quality ingredients. Ideal isn't for everyone it seems on here but i find it absolutly fantastic..the notes that stand out for me are the orange blossom and almond/tonka, as you can guess it is a very modern metrosexual scent. Performance is fairly good for the first 3 hours on my skin ..projecting nicely for the 1st hour then settling into a beautiful almond/tonka/ finally dior homme type leather 1ft scent bubble. Ideal isnt a loud brash scent more a cutsey date, work ,hotel activities scent of all seasons. Certainly an alternative to dior homme and features constantly in my rotation.
08th August, 2017

Aqua Amara by Bulgari

I've really enjoyed wearing this during the summer ..makes for a really good summer evening scent in my opinion. I get a bright bitterish orange, a bit of neroli and some patchouli to keep it slightly darkened with a pinch of seaweed odour, This stays very much this way from start to finish. Performance is fantastic 8hrs+, (4hrs strong projection) for a citrus thats great and so is the price point. The presentation and sprayer are equally great. I've had a couple of people say I smell nice which is reassuring so it projects well too. Fans of citrus and aquatics should give this a try..shop around tho as this isn't expensive and you get an awful lot for your money. Full Credit to bvlgari for releasing some very original aquatics.
05th August, 2017 (last edited: 06th August, 2017)

Vetiver by Guerlain

After wearing Tom ford grey vetiver for a year... which I really like (edp) I bought a bottle of Guerlains as this is really inexpensive and to many reviewer's the superior scent. With this scent I find it more organic and grassy but extremely simular (I think I purchased these in the wrong order)..it has the same sort of lemon vetiver combination but emphasises the root of vetiver and it's natural odour a little more..you can tell it has a vintage feel to it with the nutmeg and such in the construction but that's fine with me as it's got that classic appeal so many oldies have like pour monsier etc. It reminds me of a grassy version of dior eau sauvage at times, I do pick up a smidgen of Tobbaco which is nice.
If your after a more modern take on this genre then Tom Ford's is an excellent more wearable choice, but if you prefer the original of ideas and a classic more green approach try this or just have both. Its like comparing dior eau sauvage with dior sauvage. One thing I'll say about guerlain is they certainly know how to create a well constructed fragrance ..sometimes it's worth just having a spray and relaxing and smelling your hand every ten minutes to see where it's at. The final act in this fragrance is in the far dry down when it's a skin scent..you are left with the faintest citric woody smell that oozes class and sophistication.
18th July, 2017 (last edited: 21st July, 2017)

L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a very personal enjoyment conflicting smelling fragrance. In my opinion it isn't anything special ..the opening is too sour for a rose dominant fragrance ..it needs 5 minutes to relax the citrus... when the opening accords have faded you are left with a strange spicy sour rose smell that is reminiscent of paul Smith roses for women (which is scratchy) ..i write like I'm anti rose accord here but I'm not it's fantastic if used correctly...the rose is the dominant accord for me in this and it's a futuristic synthetic rose that's spoilt by sourness, not your adp essenza type that is natural and there to add and bolster a soapy citrus or even paco rabanne one million cologne that is straight up honest mass market rose. I think this is running too far ahead rose before anyone is bothered or cares, like a trendy Italian jacket that could set on fire and melt your skin within seconds. I'll catch up with this scent eventually (I bought 100ml blindly) but I think it might be ysl's attempt at a dior sauvage gone wrong or right in some ways, I much prefer the l'homme intense version if I'm honest in a hit and miss minefield of ysl creativity.
18th July, 2017 (last edited: 19th July, 2017)

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

After a long flight delay I got some time to try the chanel classics and this stood out for me.

...i couldn't believe it when I later learned this is over 60 years old (or maybe I should of After smelling dior eau sauvage which this resembles)..it just goes to show that old saying is true ..class is permanent etc ..anyway what you get is a scent on the same class train as adp original colonia.. dior eau sauvage and penhaligons Blenheim bouquet. It's that lemon fizzy musky slightly dated woody/spicey vibe that conjures images of Hollywood actors opening doors for classy ladys from a by gone era or royals going about their morning routines. The opening is extremely effervescent with a lemon/lime sherbet and then the beautiful dry down begins that just seems to get more and more refined until it sails off peacefully into the sunset. For me this is a truelly beautiful scent that is traditional but because it is so airy and light it fits into any moment in time. If they sold the shave foam, deodorant stick And shower gel I'd buy the lot and have one hell of a morning routine.
12th July, 2017 (last edited: 20th July, 2017)

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

I get a boozy edible caramel with fruits ..i don't get a straight up whiskey as such ..more a whiskey liqueur like drambuie, a very enjoyable gourmond type fragrance but contrary to others I get average performance in projection and longivity. I won't be replacing this but I will spray lots of it and enjoy it while I have it. I see this as a close quarters type fragrance, one for the cinema or a cosy night in. The original A*men d.n.a which is the backbone of these flankers could be paired with literally anything including sweaty socks and it will at worst smell interesting. I'm not in a rush tho to build up a mugler collection ..its a one in one out policy for me.
11th June, 2017

Uomo by Salvatore Ferragamo

I really enjoy wearing this..although it is dominated by a sugary coffee note it is excellently blended with orange blossom and the ambroxin. It never gets too sickly either, When it first goes on it feels unisex but once the dry down starts it gets more masculine and you'd swear there was a touch of iris in the 4hr mark. It gets lots of positive attention from the females, which surely is the main reason we wear scents. I do think ferragamo have hit the mainstream jackpot with this, usually this sort of blend is reserved for the niche fragrances although the syntheticness gives that away.
07th June, 2017

Tobacco Collection Rich Warm Addictive by Zara

I get coconut and honey with some florals, tiny drop of Tobbaco in the dry down, a very sexy fragrance on a confident man as it seems extremely unisex. The honey seems to be the loudest note in this and it is done extremely well without smelling synthetic, I get decent performance for a cheapie. so what we have here is a solid cosy/warm higher end designer/niche scent sold by Zara in Zara packaging.
28th May, 2017

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Strangely addictive scent that is feminine and masculine at the same time, I can't stop smelling it. It's a sweet medicinal woody scent laced with some rose and maybe a touch of vanilla. I suppose you could say this is a gourmand type of fragrance, it has a real sense of elegance about it and is never overpowering, It's blended extremely well , the rose and vanilla calm down the oud perfectly. Performance wise i'd say it creates a close quarters scent bubble that lasts around 4/6 hours, good for things like weddings and meet and greet events or a cosy night in with a loved one.
23rd May, 2017 (last edited: 24th May, 2017)

Only The Brave by Diesel

One of the easiest scents I own and if truth be told I like it (not buy another bottle when I'm done like it), I've received a few compliments while wearing this, It obviously projects well. Tipsy ladies do enjoy a safe sweet synthetic fragrance in a British pub, mainly because they can actually smell you And unless she's a fragrance fanatic will not care if it's synthetic and especially in a pub. The scent will never win any awards for construction and smell but it's a very good all year rounder and if you can get it for a good price as I did then great ,(I like the violet note in this) the bottle design is a bit crap, all in all a safe fragrance with good projection and silage, It's like a concept prototype fragrance that needs better quality ingredients and craftsmanship but the promise is there. Uses for this scent include walking the dog and busy pubs.
02nd May, 2017 (last edited: 17th July, 2017)

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

You'd swear this was a François demachy creation ..it has that resinous vibe that's so abundant in dior homme parfum and dior eu sauvage parfum..I did actually think that this was a carbon copy of dior homme parfum until the classy cherry and almond/vanilla appear making it very cosy and edible. I do really enjoy this and it could be the ultimate date fragrance just as dior homme intense is. If your a fan of dior homme parfum but find it a bit too serious give this a go. This is one of those designer scents that could be packaged differently and priced twice as much..it's niche quality. As zgb said in his review, the guerlain ideal line is reminiscent of diors homme line ..as a consumer im not bothered to be honest ..it just means now i have more choice and even more variation, one house masters the note of iris and the other almond.
07th April, 2017 (last edited: 08th August, 2017)

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme Intenso by Dolce & Gabbana

Intensely soapy creation with lots of herbs, lavendar and a note of hay overlapping everything..feels barbershop like and very clean smelling..perfect for the office. It's strange because I find this fragrance sharp at times and also creamy, a sort of contradiction really but I like fragrances that do these strange things. This fragrance has a certain Italian feel to it that get the same from in versace the dreamer..i think it's the careful addition of Tobbaco to lavender..i just think of flower stalls and wafts of italian cigarettes.
06th April, 2017 (last edited: 20th July, 2017)

Jimmy Choo Man by Jimmy Choo

Opens very bright and fruity..must be the melon and pineapple..slowly becomes a bit floral and synthetic with a slight hint of leather ..I find it very feminine and kinda reminds me of a lot of generic female fragrances. I do like this scent tho and it's at a great price point at the time of writing, I think it will garner lots of compliments due to its universally pleasing smell but it's not interesting or unique in anyway.
02nd March, 2017

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I would imaging those luxury super yacht's smell of this throughout ..coconut and lime are the notes that I can detect mainly and they are of the highest quality and supported by white rum, the overall feel is like taking a 5* Caribbean holiday without actually having to leave the house. This could also be a great treatment for mild depression. Totally unisex but would be more interesting on a gentleman with a zest for life. I think I actually sniffed the tester card dry (it's mid winter here in northern england).
02nd March, 2017

Eau Sauvage Parfum (original) by Christian Dior

This is blended fantastically well and has wonderful performance..each stage evolves slowly over the course of the day ..the overall feel of this fragrance is like others have said, no nonsense straight to the point. It doesn't care who likes it and who doesn't but you will smell it. Very masculine scent with bergamot used in the opening and myrrh and vetiver used in the mid notes, in the final stages which remain potent I can detect an orange peel and slight vanilla that I also detect in dior homme parfum, very faint tho and signature demachy. Price point represents an absolute bargain for the quality and performance.
27th February, 2017 (last edited: 28th June, 2017)

Horizon by Davidoff

For me this is like a cross between terre de hermes and l'instant ..I prefer this to Terre Dr hermes , projects really well for a couple of hours and smells old school but completely wearable for the modern era..yes it's slightly synthetic but overall it's a nice suprise from Davidoff and will make a good summer cologne because it's very light ..sparkles with good citrus and woods ..not too heavy on patchouli but a nice pinch to add intrigue...has a juicy feel at first and uplifting..slightly soapy , nice simple bottle design. After davidoff released that awful 'the game' at least this is a step back in the right direction albeit nothing ground breaking but wearable and certainly attractive to females. You can't blame davidoff for releasing this, they needed to find stability and then pave the way again for a future release that may be a creative gamble.
06th February, 2017 (last edited: 21st July, 2017)

H.M. by Hanae Mori

What a fantastic fragrance that seems to give you a little bit of everything without losing the plot or ever smelling cheap ..I love the lemon and mint combination although I don't think mint is listed so maybe it's the lavender tricking my nose ..and then that cheeky little gourmand dry down including (sweetish vanilla) ..this seems to have it all in great quality . This will suit all seasons and in my opinion even tho it is very close to being a gourmand in the dry down it never does as the floral notes take it on another flight path and keep it linear so it stays fresh. It's a sort of Issey miyake meets Jean Paul gaultier le male. The cap of the bottle is the only cheap bit about this fragrance ...the rest is creative class.
31st January, 2017

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Simply the best eau de toillete available...its refreshing yet dirty ..its annoying yet captivating..its edible yet poisonous ..be assured ...every lady I've come across has gone a bit strange over this.
28th January, 2017 (last edited: 22nd June, 2017)