Reviews by mattandhiscat

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I don't like to ramble on about reformulation's but this one is totally spoiled now ..it's dry and has lost all of its opulence and density..highly synthetic and basically its not been treasured or treated with any respect by the company that currently formulate it. I gave it away to my 14 year old nephew ..he likes it so at least it wasn't a complete waste of money.
19th November, 2017

Héritage Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

Starts out with a stern abrupt "can I have your attention please ladies and gentleman" then drops off into a gentle speech about all the good things in life and a final disney style fairy tale ending. In fact I could imagine this being worn by Walt Disney. The fragrance as a whole is like a production split into 4 parts. The first is serious lavender with bergamot..then comes the peppery spikey character building spices..then there is a lost and lonely woodland vibe with bags of organic smelling cedar ...finally the curtains come down with a reassuring and comforting vanilla. This is Guerlain's most intelligent fragrance for me, the way it is constructed and formulated is more like art than fragrance. To summerise, this is a serious masculine oriental type with a soft under belly..superb balance and creativity, the way you smell at the start of your evening is not how you will smell at then end.
16th November, 2017 (last edited: 23rd November, 2017)

Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

After having my sense of smell completely educated and enlightened by the edt version, I purchased this..the edp. Wow guerlain have basically taken the edt version and made every note denser and more rounded ..what we have is obviously a stronger and longer lasting habit rouge with a much slower dry down. There is less to smell tho with the edp, the dry down isn't a race either ..it's more a journey and that's why I prefer this over the edt..the higher concentration of alcohol in the edt kinda takes some of the elegance away (although the edt dry down has a fantastic light incense). The edt would work better in summer for sure because it is light and fleeting, exotic and thoughts of India come to mind. Overall tho I'll just say this , I think the general smell of habit rouge in whatever concentration and variation is the greatest I have come across. Darvant said it perfectly, each to their own habit rouge.
13th November, 2017

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

There is something about this fragrance that separate's it from everything I've ever smelt, it's as if all I knew about fragrance doesn't mean sxxt. For a while I used to think the London shaving shops did things fairly classy (and they do), us English know how to do a good fragrance (think sartorial and many others) bla bla ..habit rouge is another world and to be honest I feel very humbled by this ..this is probably as good as it gets. I must of used 50ml in enlightenment.
04th November, 2017 (last edited: 07th November, 2017)

Viking by Creed

I wasn't expecting much from this due to the usual low rating comments people make when a big launch is made. I'm glad I went into this with a low expectation because to me this is a huge suprise and a thoroughly original creation. What a strange smell at first sniff ..my girlfriend said I smell like a swimming pool straight off the bat. I could smell a heavy dose of ambergris in this ..and I do get a sort of resemblance to green Irish tweed but this is full on cold weather beach air..you get a slight sweet smell as it develops and then it settles into a sexy masculine retro type vibe with the sandlewood and patchouli. You can really smell the quality in this as well , it seemed to last a good while until the next day, like aventus I could smell it on my hand still. So for me what we have is an aquatic with a few twists and turns I haven't come across in any other fragrances of this genre before. Looking forward to reading the more trained nosed reviews on here ..good or bad.
03rd November, 2017

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

When I saw the presentation, I thought it was going to be a violet bomb, turns out to be a sort of weird airy sweet concoction. There are moments I tolerate, but overall it's not very good at any one note. The only note I sort of like is the mint..this is just a hint tho and highly synthetic. This for me is an awful version of truefitt and hill's clubman, I'm not mad about that scent either.
26th September, 2017

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Recently tried this again as I've enjoyed revisiting 80's fragrances with a bit of oomph..give me chanel anteaus any day over this. The opening to be fair is quite nice and soapy but in the dry down it stinks of cat pee. This modern version is pointless really as the reformulation has left this in tatters..shame really because I had a bottle of this as a kid and it was very popular and in no way smelt this weird. I think ysl should pull this one in and admit defeat, the ingredients that made this special just aren't there anymore.
04th September, 2017

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

All the ingredients and notes that people mention I totally get ..I've experienced red wine some days and other days I've got a clear sense of oud, but mainly I always detect a chocolatey/vanilla rose that must be brought about by patchouli. I could really see a sophisticated gentleman wearing this, it smells very decidant and alluring, equally an interesting female could wear this, (those with a 50's poka dot style) , perfect for a country house wedding or dates. I do get this image of a romantic Fortnam and Masons style picnic in some London park, an amateur cricket game going on in the background. If noir de noir can provoke my imagination so positively it's surely a winner for me. Expensive but worth it on this occasion I think.
01st September, 2017

Aqua pour Homme Atlantique by Bulgari

Take the original bvlgari aqua's marine accord and add a small dose of patchouli, a bit of ambroxin , some generic and synthetic aquatic and citrus ingredients and you have atlantique. This performs extremely well on my skin, I get 8hrs of note worthy performance, after 8hrs I washed my hand and it came back to life for a further 2hrs projecting. Clamnole made a good observation ..it does have a big resemblance to polo blue, so for me this is a very good mainstream freshy, and out of all the blue bottle fragrances in the designer game it performs the best. No points for originality tho.
30th August, 2017

Bulgari Man Extreme by Bulgari

This doesn't half remind me of chanel edition blanche..it's that creamy/balmy, lemon/citrus vibe..I was really pleasantly suprised by this, I have previously owned bvlgari man in black and it's the same bottle shape, but nothing simular in smell. I find this one has one of the best performance I have come across..it projects about 2ft and leaves a wonderful playful classy silage for a good few hours. Perfect for a night out or daytime activity. If you are on the market for a citrus cologne that performs well , smells classy and crowd pleasing then consider this. I would even go as far as saying it smells niche, it certainly holds its own with higher end citrus based fragrances.
30th August, 2017

Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue by Versace

Certainly a crowd pleasing fragrance this one..it's a fruity aquatic with a dark undertone of incense and patchouli. Versace has basically created their signature blue fragrance to rival the other fashion houses version. It's got a bit of the ambroxin heavy dior sauvage ..a bit of bleu de chanel's incense and versaces own fruity mix (invictus style), slightly sweet for an aquatic which adds to the appeal with the lady's. I had the shower gel as part of my package and the shower gel is fantastic. Overall there isn't anything to dislike about this fragrance and it seems to perform reasonably well too. A modern solid release by versace and totally relevant in a crowded genre.
29th August, 2017

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford

Immediately ralph lauren polo green springs to mind, my dad's signiture fragrance as a child and the one I used to sneak a few sprays of before meeting friends on my bmx lol. I don't remember it smelling as opulent and as well refined as this tho. This feels much more dense and moist with an updated modern tone. In many ways this is to polo green as grey vetiver is to guerlain vetiver. Tom ford obviously has a great respect for the classics, and he can clearly see the iconic fashion statements that these fragrances have created. I think this fragrance would be great for a board meeting ..a round of golf (mainly the club house)..countryside hotels etc. Performance is very good on my skin with a moderate projection which doesn't dominate a social setting.
26th August, 2017

Millésime Impérial by Creed

One of the most casual summer scents I've had the pleasure of trying ..like many have said ..melon and salt water ..some floral's simular to the ones used in silver mountain water and git. This would make a great day time summer scent but can be used anytime really in summer. This and Virgin island water are extremely thought provoking and would make a great double act for a nice hot vacation. Don't understand how this could offend anyone as it's pretty much the scent of sea air and melon, done extremely accurately, if only this and Virgin island water had a little bit better performance we say but then they would be obnoxious and attention seeking.
25th August, 2017 (last edited: 19th November, 2017)

Karma by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

Strong synthetic orange and patchouli are the stand out notes for me with the other listed notes adding a bit of mystery and wood...it's not a bad smell for say a bar of soap, but other than that it's too badly constructed in its spray format for me..it come's across as an idea, or concept fragrance that needs refining. Smells ok from a distance. The finished product that has been expertly crafted would be Bvlgari aqua amara.
22nd August, 2017

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

There isn't much point in going into detail here..this fantastic scent has been reviewed and screwtanised to death ..all I will say is that to me it represents a piece of history, very much like adp colonia and chanel pour monsier and many more. With regards to its performance. ..if this fragrance was a beast or projected like a lunatic it would change the whole dynamic , and for me part of its charm is its lightness and airyness. I read somewhere that John lennon enjoyed this scent , Wether that's true or not isn't proven, but it's funny to think of him wearing this in bed with yoko in Amsterdam for a week. Generally speaking I see this scent as a piece of timeless sophistication that feels fresh and thankfully light.
17th August, 2017

Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée by Guerlain

Refreshing summer spritzer of excellent quality..hints of the original vetiver but without the old fashioned tone (or toned down). I appreciate the quality lime and mint that combine to make a realistic mojito smell in the opening ..I don't get much rum tho, but I do get a mysterious hint of herbs. doesn't really last more than 3hrs on my skin so I use it liberally in the summer ..a more up market 4711 alternative and a great scent for mingling in party's or french coach journeys ..holidays etc. It's one of those scents that lift your spirits and make you happy like creed Virgin island water. The guerlain quality is there for sure, spray liberally and enjoy the good times. I think the performance issues may be due to a reformulation as I have the very latest bottle shape, the Basenotes (vetiver) just aren't rich enough to support the scent. I can see how this review may seem a bit hit and miss, but it's one of those scents for me that I really enjoy as a spritzer, albeit the finest spritzer available.
16th August, 2017 (last edited: 21st August, 2017)

Oud Fleur by Tom Ford

I get 3 fragrances in 1 here ..in the oppening two hours i get a feminine old rose floral fragrance ..in the mid section a fantastic skanky oudy creation and in the final 12hrs a light resinous black orchid type. The depth is wonderful and overall it represents good value for me as im getting a good deal of development and complexity ..i've had compliments as it bounces off my skin for a few hours. For me this is the most interesting tom ford oud but not necessarily the best (i like oud wood mostly but its one dimensional). Fans of rose and black orchid are in for a treat, this also has a tiny resemblance to the current variation of habit rouge edp .The scent grows on me with every wearing and sometimes i'll catch a hidden note that ive not noticed before. I had a simular experience with guerlains l'instant edt, a sort of awakening of my sense of smell ..it sort of invites you in with intrigue until you are hooked. I dont think this is for everyone ..people that are going to compliment you on this, or appreciate it for themselves will have had a positive experience with the oud fluer notes in their past.
11th August, 2017 (last edited: 16th November, 2017)

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

One of the classiest fragrances i own (images of 007 in a sharp suit, spying on a target in Istanbul or Athens come to mind) , amazing when you consider the price point...i get a freshly washed linen and tobbaco with a creamy tonka, almost middle eastern in feel. This is great with projection within the first hour and then settles to a beautiful gentle creamy cotton blanket smell but doesn't last too long 3/4hrs ..totally wearable in any situation and not too overpowering or obnoxious that it cant be worn in the summer. I blind bought this and it turned out to be one of my best blind buys along with nautica voyage and perry ellis red. I find this vaguely simular to mont blanc individuel and jpg le male..but in my opinion this is better than both (or more wearable and flexable)..certainly blended better and less synthetic, i'd loved to have tried the pre-formulated version..fantastic find.
09th August, 2017 (last edited: 31st August, 2017)

L'Homme Idéal by Guerlain

An excellent delicate fragrance that is typical guerlain..excellent balance and good quality ingredients. Ideal isn't for everyone it seems on here but i find it absolutly fantastic..the notes that stand out for me are the orange blossom and almond/tonka, as you can guess it is a very modern metrosexual scent. Performance is fairly good for the first 3 hours on my skin ..projecting nicely for the 1st hour then settling into a beautiful almond/tonka/ finally dior homme type leather 1ft scent bubble. Ideal isnt a loud brash scent more a cutsey date, work ,hotel activities scent of all seasons. Certainly an alternative to dior homme and features constantly in my rotation.
08th August, 2017

Aqua Amara by Bulgari

I've really enjoyed wearing this during the summer ..makes for a really good summer evening scent in my opinion. I get a bright bitterish orange, a bit of neroli and some patchouli to keep it slightly darkened with a pinch of seaweed odour, This stays very much this way from start to finish. Performance is fantastic 8hrs+, (4hrs strong projection) for a citrus thats great and so is the price point. The presentation and sprayer are equally great. I've had a couple of people say I smell nice which is reassuring so it projects well too. Fans of citrus and aquatics should give this a try..shop around tho as this isn't expensive and you get an awful lot for your money. Full Credit to bvlgari for releasing some very original aquatics.
05th August, 2017 (last edited: 06th August, 2017)

Vetiver by Guerlain

After wearing Tom ford grey vetiver for a year... which I really like (edp) I bought a bottle of Guerlains as this is really inexpensive and to many reviewer's the superior scent. With this scent I find it more organic and grassy but extremely simular (I think I purchased these in the wrong order)..it has the same sort of lemon vetiver combination but emphasises the root of vetiver and it's natural odour a little more..you can tell it has a vintage feel to it with the nutmeg and such in the construction but that's fine with me as it's got that classic appeal so many oldies have like pour monsier etc. It reminds me of a grassy version of dior eau sauvage at times, I do pick up a smidgen of Tobbaco which is nice.
If your after a more modern take on this genre then Tom Ford's is an excellent more wearable choice, but if you prefer the original of ideas and a classic more green approach try this or just have both. Its like comparing dior eau sauvage with dior sauvage. One thing I'll say about guerlain is they certainly know how to create a well constructed fragrance ..sometimes it's worth just having a spray and relaxing and smelling your hand every ten minutes to see where it's at. The final act in this fragrance is in the far dry down when it's a skin scent..you are left with the faintest citric woody smell that oozes class and sophistication.
18th July, 2017 (last edited: 21st July, 2017)

L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a very personal enjoyment conflicting smelling fragrance. In my opinion it isn't anything special ..the opening is too sour for a rose dominant fragrance ..it needs 5 minutes to relax the citrus... when the opening accords have faded you are left with a strange spicy sour rose smell that is reminiscent of paul Smith roses for women (which is scratchy) ..i write like I'm anti rose accord here but I'm not it's fantastic if used correctly...the rose is the dominant accord for me in this and it's a futuristic synthetic rose that's spoilt by sourness, not your adp essenza type that is natural and there to add and bolster a soapy citrus or even paco rabanne one million cologne that is straight up honest mass market rose. I think this is running too far ahead rose before anyone is bothered or cares, like a trendy Italian jacket that could set on fire and melt your skin within seconds. I'll catch up with this scent eventually (I bought 100ml blindly) but I think it might be ysl's attempt at a dior sauvage gone wrong or right in some ways, I much prefer the l'homme intense version if I'm honest in a hit and miss minefield of ysl creativity.
18th July, 2017 (last edited: 19th July, 2017)

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

After a long flight delay I got some time to try the chanel classics and this stood out for me.

...i couldn't believe it when I later learned this is over 60 years old (or maybe I should of After smelling dior eau sauvage which this resembles)..it just goes to show that old saying is true ..class is permanent etc ..anyway what you get is a scent on the same class train as adp original colonia.. dior eau sauvage and penhaligons Blenheim bouquet. It's that lemon fizzy musky slightly dated woody/spicey vibe that conjures images of Hollywood actors opening doors for classy ladys from a by gone era or royals going about their morning routines. The opening is extremely effervescent with a lemon/lime sherbet and then the beautiful dry down begins that just seems to get more and more refined until it sails off peacefully into the sunset. For me this is a truelly beautiful scent that is traditional but because it is so airy and light it fits into any moment in time. If they sold the shave foam, deodorant stick And shower gel I'd buy the lot and have one hell of a morning routine.
12th July, 2017 (last edited: 20th July, 2017)

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

I get a boozy edible caramel with fruits ..i don't get a straight up whiskey as such ..more a whiskey liqueur like drambuie, a very enjoyable gourmond type fragrance but contrary to others I get average performance in projection and longivity. I won't be replacing this but I will spray lots of it and enjoy it while I have it. I see this as a close quarters type fragrance, one for the cinema or a cosy night in. The original A*men d.n.a which is the backbone of these flankers could be paired with literally anything including sweaty socks and it will at worst smell interesting. I'm not in a rush tho to build up a mugler collection ..its a one in one out policy for me.
11th June, 2017

Uomo by Salvatore Ferragamo

I really enjoy wearing this..although it is dominated by a sugary coffee note it is excellently blended with orange blossom and the ambroxin. It never gets too sickly either, When it first goes on it feels unisex but once the dry down starts it gets more masculine and you'd swear there was a touch of iris in the 4hr mark. It gets lots of positive attention from the females, which surely is the main reason we wear scents. I do think ferragamo have hit the mainstream jackpot with this, usually this sort of blend is reserved for the niche fragrances although the syntheticness gives that away.
07th June, 2017

Tobacco Collection Rich Warm Addictive by Zara

I get vanilla and honey with some florals, tiny drop of Tobbaco in the dry down, a very in the moment type fragrance (bit sickly, tobbaco concoction)..gets lots of hype on utube but I don't see what the fuss is about really. Lasts an hour and doesn't project at all ..just a warm and cosy skin scent that will do for someone on a budget, I certainly don't have anything bad to say about the the smell of it, my criticism is that it isn't great in the genre it's in but for the money it's still ok.
28th May, 2017 (last edited: 15th November, 2017)

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Strangely addictive scent that is feminine and masculine at the same time, I can't stop smelling it. It's a sweet medicinal woody scent laced with some rose and maybe a touch of vanilla. I suppose you could say this is a gourmand type of fragrance, it has a real sense of elegance about it and is never overpowering, It's blended extremely well , the rose and vanilla calm down the oud perfectly. Performance wise i'd say it creates a close quarters scent bubble that lasts around 4/6 hours, good for things like weddings and meet and greet events or a cosy night in with a loved one.
23rd May, 2017 (last edited: 24th May, 2017)

Only The Brave by Diesel

One of the easiest scents I own and if truth be told I like it (not buy another bottle when I'm done like it), I've received a few compliments while wearing this, It obviously projects well. Tipsy ladies do enjoy a safe sweet synthetic fragrance in a British pub, mainly because they can actually smell you And unless she's a fragrance fanatic will not care if it's synthetic and especially in a pub. The scent will never win any awards for construction and smell but it's a very good all year rounder and if you can get it for a good price as I did then great ,(I like the violet note in this) the bottle design is a bit crap, all in all a safe fragrance with good projection and silage, It's like a concept prototype fragrance that needs better quality ingredients and craftsmanship but the promise is there. Uses for this scent include walking the dog and busy pubs.
02nd May, 2017 (last edited: 17th July, 2017)

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

You'd swear this was a François demachy creation ..it has that resinous vibe that's so abundant in dior homme parfum and dior eu sauvage parfum..I did actually think that this was a carbon copy of dior homme parfum until the classy cherry and almond/vanilla appear making it very cosy and edible. I do really enjoy this and it could be the ultimate date fragrance just as dior homme intense is. If your a fan of dior homme parfum but find it a bit too serious give this a go. This is one of those designer scents that could be packaged differently and priced twice as much..it's niche quality. As zgb said in his review, the guerlain ideal line is reminiscent of diors homme line ..as a consumer im not bothered to be honest ..it just means now i have more choice and even more variation, one house masters the note of iris and the other almond.
07th April, 2017 (last edited: 08th August, 2017)

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme Intenso by Dolce & Gabbana

Intensely soapy creation with lots of herbs, lavendar and a note of hay overlapping everything..feels barbershop like and very clean smelling..perfect for the office. It's strange because I find this fragrance sharp at times and also creamy, a sort of contradiction really but I like fragrances that do these strange things. This fragrance has a certain Italian feel to it that get the same from in versace the dreamer..i think it's the careful addition of Tobbaco to lavender..i just think of flower stalls and wafts of italian cigarettes.
06th April, 2017 (last edited: 20th July, 2017)