Reviews by ClassicFan

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

Medicinal and herbaceous patchouli with a dry sweet orange. The vanilla probably is the sweetener, but it's not overt as a separate accord at first. The most intriguing part of the fragrance is the blackcurrent, which gives a whole vibrant summer hot fragrance effect. It turns into a pleasant plain stick gum. It leans more feminine, but it is unisex. I really like this one a lot as a summer citrus berry fragrance.

Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic by Guerlain

Just like the title there is mandarin and basil. The basil is particularly nice in that it smells more like the leafy cooking basil than the dried herb, so it has that sappy quality to it. The tea makes it more feminine, but it's fairly enjoyable. Nothing I'm excited about, but not bad.

Note de Yuzu by Heeley

Strong mandarin skin smell, but without opening the fruit skin. The salt and seaweed give it that typical Heeley "by the sea" quality, but more nutty with the seaweed and vetiver, if that makes sense. Very idiosyncratic fragrance and hard to pin down. Almost like a nutty penicillin. I'm neutral on this one.

Eau de Mandarine Ambrée by Hermès

Chalky mandarin that turns a little plastic with the amber. The passion fruit appears to sweeten things up a little bit. This is a NO.

Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

Enjoyable citrus woody vetiver. The amber makes the vetiver more toasty, and the musk sweetens it up. Unfortunately the citrus dies away very quickly. Vetiver Extreme has more oomph! But I can see those who want a more subtle fragrance than VE who would choose this instead.

Panorama by Olfactive Studio

Another pepper galbanum fragrance that starts off very much like balsamic vinegar, after a couple of minutes it improves into a VERY grassy violet with the cardamom and cut grass. There's a slight tea accord with the fir balm. The violet turns a little jammy with the tonka, myrrh, vanilla, and musk. It's a strange savoury experience that quickly turns into a sweet grassy outdoor experience. Odd, but pleasant experience. It's hard to recommend. It's more like an art collection. You want to smell it and analyze it, because of its complexity, but I wouldn't find this conducive to casual wear. It would definitely be a good comparison to Fahrenheit, or something to layer with it. Very interesting to sample.

Still Life by Olfactive Studio

Very weird experience. It starts off with citrus, but a huge blast of Sechuan pepper that makes my arm smell disconcertingly like it's rotten or dead, or my arm turned into a gourmand pepper pencil sauce. Very creepy! There is some booziness, but much more turpentine galbanum at the base, but I prefer Tommy Bahama compared to this. Worst one by far!

L'Humaniste by Frapin

Gorgeous herbal fragrance. There is citrus, but it's the juniper, pepper, cardamom, and thyme give it an outdoors quality that is distinct from GIT, but is as evocative. There's a little bit of booziness like in 1270, but less sweet. The juniper is less toasty than what you find in most attempts at the accord. It does fade quickly, but I like the balance of the notes. Nothing is glaring or overpowering, like some oakmoss scents can be. A very transporting experience.

Citron d'Erable by Atelier Cologne

Lemon pancakes with maple syrup! Out of the gate it comes off as very gourmand. If anything I would remove pancake, and replace it with lemon white cake. The eucalyptus and blackcurrent keep the scent very light, but I want to chew on my arm that seems like a mouthwatering cake. This may be considered unisex, but this seems more feminine to me. Whoever wears this better stay away from hungry people, as most certainly they will be eaten. As the woods at the bottom arrive, it warms up the cake to a more pancake result.

Pomélo Paradis by Atelier Cologne

Really enjoyable grapefruit that avoids bitterness with blackcurrent, and mandarin. There are some great notes on the middle to bottom of the pyramid (mint and rose), but the scent starts fading quite a lot before getting there, nonetheless I found this more enjoyable than any other grapefruit fragrance so far. It's not harsh or cloying. It's also the best blackcurrent I've smelled so far. It may fade too much for some, but it is at a level of an EDC, with a little more strength. A different experience than I expected.

Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne

Orange Sanguine is more a jasmine and geranium fragrance that covers the citrus opening. There is a little bit of pepper in there and some light woods in the background that give it a more unisex appeal. It's enjoyable as it is and I would recommend this more for people looking for florals like jasmine, lily of the valley, and geranium.

Lemon in Zest by By Kilian

The orange and lemon turn candy-like with the orange brandy. It's centered by the patchouli and vetiver which steer it away from anything like floor cleaner. This is an incredibly intelligent scent that could mess up along the way, but doesn't. Gourmand lemon candy that is wearable.

Mandarino di Amalfi by Tom Ford

Very interesting fragrance. At first it's an herbal mint with citrus, but then it bleeds together into the experience of ripping open a mandarin orange and the smell of the pit seeds. It gives way to a minty neroli that is very fresh. It also has some of the musk and jasmine that is characteristic of Aqua Universalis, and Dior Homme Cologne, though I think this fragrance may have bested them. This is a winner! Apparently this was created by Calice Asancheyev-Becker, who made the reformulation of Monsieur Balmain, that I don't like so much. Ironic!

Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia Di Capri by Acqua di Parma

This is a very candied orange and lemon, and a shot of sage that disappears quickly. There is some sweetness from the caramel, but it's an understated Coca Cola. There's a little bit of that Grey Flannel Oakmoss in the background to keep it from going too gourmand. This is a good contribution to the candy citrus style of fragrances.

Aqua Universalis by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Solid citrus, musk, and florals. The Lily of the Valley accord is similar to how Jasmine affects fragrances. It reminds me of Dior Homme Cologne, and smells more expensive with the woods in the base. For a clean inoffensive smell, it can be used regularly, and in any occasion. Dress up or down, it's versatile. You just have to decide on the price point in making that choice. Dior or MFK? I'm liking MFK's use of musk, which I normally avoid.

Vetiver Extreme by Guerlain

Starts off with strong citrus and herbs. As the vetiver enters the picture, so do the woods and spices. In some ways this is as much a wood fragrance as a vetiver fragrance. I think it's a good scent for those who don't like the "pot" smell of the original vetiver. In a lot of ways this is the most wearable vetiver, next to Zegna's Haitian Vetiver. Both fragrances recommended for those who don't like the worst elements of vetiver.

Une Ville, un Parfum : London by Guerlain

Starts off with citrus, but at the same time offset by a nice set of balanced accords, including rhubarb (coming off like blackcurrants), cardamom, violet, and rose. These all are sweet, but balance off the citrus and vetiver. There's some woods and tea that reminds me of Burberry London, but much less synthetic and tobacco like. Excellent fragrance. I could see this worn by someone in an airport or on a plane, going to an interesting destination.

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

I remember trying this one before, and it smelled like some 1800's decadent dandy bar of soap. After some years I can tell there's a lot of jasmine mixed with rose, and herbal notes. I can see why I thought this was a soap. It reminds me of some expensive hotel soap I showered with on vacation. It smells very classic with Jicky's civet and vanilla on the dry down.

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Immediate connection to the BO floral citrus of Cartier Declaration, but alas without the projection of the clean floral that happens in the later scent's classic 2nd stage. Somewhat of a disappointment.

Eau du Coq by Guerlain

Traditional dusty EDC with some neroli similar to Imperiale, plus that citrus that borders on galbanum. It also has some of that overcast lavender, and some herbal rosemary. It fades away quickly, but I like it as much if not more than Eau de Guerlain. Another good one!

Musc Impérial by Atelier Cologne

Fruity opening that doesn't have much leather or wood in it, unless you spray it on your clothes. If I was going for a musc fragrance I would rather recommend Petit Matin, or Zegna Mediterranean Neroli.

The fig replaces the blackcurrent giving it a creamy quality, and the lavender adds some dryness. It finishes off with a clean musk and wood. Another so-so fragrance. It's more sweet on my skin than on a shirt.
13th January, 2019

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

Vanilla woods. It smells unisex. It's pleasant but not worth the money.
13th January, 2019

Rive d'Ambre by Tom Ford

This started off powerful out of the gate and cleared my nose. A strong citrus and floral/herbal/mint shows up. It smells unique, but definitely unisex. There's kind of a boozy wood that appears in the base. It's not my style, but it is good. It comes off as a mysterious smooth boozy, amber orange. The only thing that interferes is a slight hairspray note, but that is a problem for so many fragrances. Since I haven't liked much of Tom Ford, it's easily one of his best for me. Dry down is like orange scratch off cards. This would be a great alternative to L'Anarchiste
11th January, 2019

Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed

It starts off as a sharp cypress, apparently cedarwood. There is citrus, but rose, apple, vetiver, cinnamon, and especially musk, take it over very quickly and make it quite feminine. I can tell I'm not a big fan of musk on me, but I definitely would find this good for an elegant woman. A masculine version of this could be an old Guerlain. It's very nice, but a no for me. When I get a full application, it now smells more integrated. The cinnamon and rose is what pushes it more feminine.
09th January, 2019

Frangipani Absolute by Ormonde Jayne

Starts off as a unisex candied orange and lime, then turns into a jasmine floral scent. Very feminine. The sweetness of the vanilla and musk is partially offset by the cedar. It's a good floral scent, and one of the better "bouquet" scents for women.

L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Interesting honeyed lime blossom. Dry an airy. I quite like this. It reminds me of lilac, without smelling like lilac. It's unisex, but leans towards feminine. It can be a little like honey and muesli in the opening but quickly turns into an aromatic dry sweet hay. This is one of the better hay fragrances and those who like the accord should try it out.

French Lime Blossom by Jo Malone

Simple lime blossom with some herbal note. It's supposed to be tarragon. Very feminine, but not very interesting. Still it's fresh and wearable for spring and summer.

Linden by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is a nice comparison to all the lime blossom mixes with other florals. It smells like aromatic citrus skins with florals. Quite beautiful and probably the best Demeter I've smelled, and the most citrus in smell of all the lime blossom scents. It doesn't last very long but is very refreshing. I'm surprised with this one.

Waltz No. 14 by Tokyo Milk

Lime blossom is more noticeable here. It's a little bitter but with nice slightly sweet florals. It's unisex, but I think some guys would like this. It's fresh, floral and green. This is very wearable and perfect for the spring and summer. I'm liking this one a lot.

La Chasse Aux Papillons by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Gorgeous floral blossom scent for women. Definitely one of the best feminine fragrances I've smelled. So many are awful but this one is sexy, fresh, and bright. The tuberose gives that outdoors, hiking in spring quality. The neroli is offset with linden so it comes off as fresh floral. I can't get away with wearing it without getting male attention, but it definitely would turn my head if a woman was wearing it. A woman of any age can pull it off. Great!