Reviews by vipersinthefield

Open by Roger & Gallet

Open by Roger & Gallet is a pretty wearable fragrance but I'm not going to sales pitch it as a mid 1980's milestone. This feels more like an older cologne of the 1960's era.

This fragrance has a base of lavender combined with a warm and smooth duo of amber and nutmeg. This is a spicy and kind of sweet soap smell that makes me think of Pears Original Soap (the transparent deep orange bar).As the soap mellows I get a blurry green structure of pine and moss or herbs with a sweet but green gummy effect of the amber brushing the greens. I don't get tobacco in this fragrance.

Think Pears Soap meets a strong amount of the design behind the original formula of British Sterling (1965) with an update to 80's powerhouse strength, but smooth. I think Open may have not have been popular because it reflected something familiar in men's fragrances rather than something new for the 80's. It gets a thumbs up for being a good all-around mature scent and nostalgic. If you miss how good British Sterling used to smell...I'd suggest giving Open a try.
27th November, 2019

Vermeil for Men by Vermeil

I get a little soap in a powdery form and a very rich level of musk. It's the same kind of musk found in Salvador Dali Pour Homme (1987). A Lapidus Pour Homme (1987)style pipe tobacco note surfaces mixed with a dark and sweet blackcurrant liquer and it smells good as a combination. There's something of a mild leather impression dwelling in the mid section though I can't tell if it's the musk and tobacco contact causing this. This fragrance mellows down from the soap and musk.

Vermeil for Men (1995) has powerhouse strength and late 80's inspiration through and through. The notes quality in this are definitely not bottom shelf and this is very wearable. On the other hand it is a very rudimentary design with it's limited amount of notes. Vermeil for Men was a thick and smooth musk fragrance with a tobacco and sweet liquer twist. I like a good musk scent so I find this fragrance to be a keeper. Though someone pursuing this for that next jonesing of a dry, spicy, and earthy tobacco scent may find Vermeil for Men to be unique...or they could find it boring.
19th November, 2019 (last edited: 21st November, 2019)

Mackie for Men by Bob Mackie

To my nose I echo a similar view that this has kinship to Eternity for Men though I consider Mackie to be a softer scent. This has a similar bitter-green base of aldehydes and vetiver but with a little lime in addition. The heart is very floral of violets and a breeze of powdery lavender and this gives the softness to it.Sandalwood just like Eternity but I get more in this fragrance.

I wouldn't really call Mackie for Men a teenage scent because it doesn't smell as young as the average fresh scent. It's not sweet or fruity to me. In fact I think the bitterness and violets throw a little overcast on this bright green and powdery fragrance...it smells more of suit and tie.

15th November, 2019

Thallium by Jacques Evard

Thallium is one fragrance that has such an unusual marketing concept it invokes curiosity. Named from a poisonous metal yet looks just like a jar of Barbicide- both in the bottle's appearance and fluid color. To be precise this fragrance was released in 2002 and I bought it a few times in my early 20's.

This is fruity scent of pineapple and light of apple coated with a vanilla and lavender powder. It's initial blast is a little tacky until it calms reminding one of vanilla cotton candy. Once this calms down it's powdery clean and not too sweet...but you catch that fruit and vanilla intertwining. Sandalwood in the mix to give a hint of warmth. I'm the first reviewer to report I always get a moderate amount of an oily and aged patchouli in Thallium...not musk.

This is a low projection scent but it does last a good 8-10 hours. Thallium in my eyes was influenced highly by Joop! Homme (1989). It's not a powerhouse obviously but it works off a similar powdery/sweetened lavender and patchouli supporting design like Joop!. The fruity approach by Thallium on the other hand makes this smoother, not heady and sugary(on dry down) through it's quiet approach as an up close fragrance. But this also means Thallium could fall under that same unisex popularity radar as Joop! Homme.
25th October, 2019 (last edited: 29th October, 2019)

Ungaro pour L'Homme III by Ungaro

I'm going to give Ungaro III a thumbs up...it's a deserving of it's praise. To get the nit-picking out the way expect to spray a little more due to transparency from the vodka note. This is also not a thick scent and more compressed because once again the vodka note...everything filters through it.

I get a base mixed with vodka, soapy lavender, and citrus giving a fresh and clean result. Tastes of vetiver but not permanent to the fragrance. This has a rose note that's mixed with black licorice and a dark fruit that's either cherry or black currant. It's spiced dark fruit floral may be a little gothic but it's not depressing...keeps you sniffing at the rose in a dark and delicious way. Some sandalwood, but not enough woody interference to rob the freshness. A hint of patchouli for a little green flavor but it's not oily or raw and skanky...it's polished by the vodka/lavender/citrus blend. This fragrance runs on the spiced/dark fruit cased floral to be the seductive role in Ungaro III.

It's darker side says this is a fall, winter, or evening scent. Yet it's so fresh and clean and it's dark side doesn't push into cloying territory from the dark notes...you could wear this in warmer weather. It is stylish after all.

21st October, 2019 (last edited: 15th November, 2019)

Basile Uomo (original) by Basile

The 3.3oz spray bottle of Basile Uomo I have purchased recently looks just like this...I'm assuming it's the original formula. So I'm gathering if people are speaking of the reformulation it must be the "new" version released in 2003.

This fragrance is wearable but I'm not shocked that Basile Uomo was discontinued. You can smell the basil, oakmoss, and patchouli. Sniff a little closer tones of pine blossom out and is accompanied with leather. The part of this fragrance that causes a neutral rating is has a lavender note that's accented with something and reminds me of hair spray. It blows across the composition in a haze producing aerosol-like overtones so Basile Uomo does comes across as fairly synthetic. This fragrance reminds me of Tsar(1989) though darker green and not sweet.

Basile Uomo isn't a bad scent but I think Carlo Corinto Classic(1986) and Quorum (1982) are more legendary green scents from the 80's.
08th October, 2019 (last edited: 15th October, 2019)

Perry Ellis for Men (original) by Perry Ellis

I can't speak on the vintage formula of Perry Ellis for Men (1985) because it was a cologne. I was just more curious if it lives up to the $20-$25 price factor for a 5oz bottle. This is my review under Falic Fashion Group.

This fragrance easily explained smells like a bottle of cognac with carnation submerged in it. Only way I can explain it. What makes the boozy quality is amber, cinnamon, a lot of old leather, and a bit of labdanum. All this combined it has a smell that reminds one of cognac. The labdanum does stick out to provide herbal and slightly sweet-minty hints. So this fragrance smells brown and green.

I recommend Perry Ellis for Men (1985) because I think it's a very decent cheapie. If you removed the labdanum and switched with pine, and removed the carnation? it would remind you of a subtle version of Red for Men(1991) The sprayer is it's downfall which doesn't crank out a generous amount. 4-5 sprays will get 8 hours of low projection.
03rd October, 2019 (last edited: 07th October, 2019)

Arsenal Grey by Gilles Cantuel

A while back I was cleaning out my storage in the attic and found an old bottle of this in a box. I then remembered Arsenal Grey and cursed myself for not reviewing it back when I first joined Basenotes. This was the first fragrance I bought with my own money working part-time during high school. I remember buying this for $15-$20 at the Rose's Discount Store in my town. I knew nothing about notes back then so I'm going to describe this scent after smelling it again.

The base is floral in structure being a lot of violet and a touch of lavender barbershop powder. Something linked to the lavender that's a light sweetness and comes off as cherry and something else. This isn't initially woody at first, but over an hour or so it develops a warm woody tone. This fragrance I swear must have some vanilla. Because for few notes this scent is thick and it is smooth. That light hint of the "something else" with the cherry is vanilla. But this doesn't come off as gourmand or anything...it's sweetness keeps a low profile. 3-4 sprays will give 6-8 hours of low projection. This is an EDT though in strength though and not an EDP.

I really liked Arsenal Grey because the scent was so different. The metallic blue/aquatic and sharp scents my peers wore that were "popular" due to massive advertising...I found them to be artless drivel. This was something softer and more basic, but definitely inspired by floral approaches of Sung Homme and Preferred Stock. Right down to the sweetened lavender approach of Lapidus PH and Joop! Homme though much lighter. Lots of late 80's influence in Arsenal Grey. I had to get a new bottle of this to enjoy. It's a simple low-cost pleasure that you should find sitting beside the similarly priced Penguin and Thallium fragrances.
29th September, 2019

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I wasn't really that impressed with L'Eau d'Issey PH despite my curiosity over the abundant positive reviews. This didn't form the fresh genre- Claiborne for Men and Eternity for Men (both released in 1989) were responsible for that. But I've never tried this fragrance before so I thought I'd give this fresh scent from the 90's a go...

This opens up very fresh, bitter, and initially really sour from the yuzu. I imagine this goes an alternate route to grapefruit. The sourness goes away in about 5 minutes. I get the floral quality which isn't bad at all. A kind of light mixture composed of vetiver, saffron, and sandalwood. The wood takes a little moisture out of the yuzu as it develops. It goes to almost a skin scent within 30 minutes and is gone 5-6 hours.

In my opinion L'Eau d'Issey PH may use a few exotic notes, but it smells very generic for a fresh scent from it's very bland construction. It's not far from smelling like a lot of Adidas fragrances. It's transparent and boring. Spend $15 and get yourself a bottle of Claiborne for Men(1989)...it's deeper and longer lasting than this. Even if L'Eau d'Issey PH were $15 in a drugstore...I'd still buy Claiborne for Men.
24th September, 2019

PS by Paul Sebastian

A very classy fragrance indeed.

PS starts out powdery of vanilla and herbal of some sage initially with a vague warmth. This warmth becomes stronger up from a mixture of myrrh and ylang-ylang teased with amber and some patchouli. The sage sometimes blends with the patchouli creating an interesting herbal quality. Over the hours this scent breaks down to a musky powder state. Sniffing at the powder you get light hints of the spicy and herbal side.

This fragrance does have a pretty good longevity of 8 hours moderate projection and another 4 in low projection. Wake up the next morning and it's a skin scent.

Was the vintage formula of PS better?
It's debatable. On one hand the vintage was a mellow and powdery scent that wasn't as warm/spicy. It smelled good but no musky development and no ylang-ylang that I could detect..it was primitively blended. The current formula is better blended and spicier through going heavier on those notes. Both formulas smell good but also have their positive and negative aspects.

22nd August, 2019 (last edited: 01st October, 2019)

Halston 1-12 by Halston

French Fragrances out of Miami,FL in the green glass bottle is a good source that still did the vintage formula.

This opens up with it's base of green mixture of what smells like laurel leaves with a hint of oakmoss refreshed with lemon. This part kind of reminds me of Agua Brava. You'd expect this to be coarse when paired but there's a modern lavender note that stands out and comes across the spectrum to smooth things out...reminds me of Ivory Original soap. 1-12 is very musky to me almost as hefty as Kouros...but without a fecal reminder of any kind. A little cedar in this though not too much. Floating around in this scent is a little amber that gives a little resin to the green side. There isn't a dry quality about Halston 1-12. This is a very fresh, wet, and slick smelling green barbershop scent. This isn't identical to Quorum but I would recommends to fans of that scent looking for an older sibling that holds it's head high.

The current formula EA Fragrances isn't a horrid fragrance. But the green side and amber has been removed from 1-12 hence why the glass color is no longer green. It's just a really lemony and musky scent now. EA doesn't usually butcher classic fragrances. I have a feeling they pitched the Halston fragrances to a millennial focus group and they found the bottles stylish for a younger group...but not the fragrance.

Thumbs up to the vintage formula of Halston 1-12.
20th August, 2019 (last edited: 21st August, 2019)

Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum by Paloma Picasso

My initial memory of Paloma Picasso goes back to Christmas Day somewhere between 1989-1991. My mother got this as a gift from one of her sister's and she had been wanting this fragrance. I hated the smell of this fragrance and so did my dad. Every time my mom threw herself on the couch to watch TV a wave of this stuff would make my dad blink hard and wrinkle his nose.

This fragrance packs everything thick and edgy that you imagine packed into one big high-projection scent. An amber fragrance blended with a ton of patchouli and musk with a coarse hit of oakmoss. Something sweet and floral oozing out from it. It's a stereo scent with the volume knob turned at max then broken off and is desperately shouting to say they're sexy but without taste.

This 80's women's powerhouse was so bludgeoning I consider it an overcompensation scent. Pick your reason either a small chest, poor intimacy skills, or a woman that thinks she's god's gift to men. If I were a single man and smelled this on a woman on the 1st date? I'd ask all sorts of questions that would get me slapped due to being very frank.
16th August, 2019

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

I don't question that Boucheron PH was released in 1991...but it smells like it was designed in 1961. Regardless of it's very mature label and design of a vintage men's fragrance I do like this a lot.

It comes off very lemony fresh and smooth of sandalwood. Carnation and soap surfaces right up strong at fast then settles to a creamy and lightly powdery level. This does have a green quality that seems to be made from a lot of vetiver with a little bit of incense and lily of the valley. But I get a little leather to this fragrance though it's not listed.

This is a soft and elegant men's fragrance that's medium projection and holds on for 12 hours. I say it smells older because the lemon, sandalwood, and light floral touches combined smells like the opening of Jean Naté with higher quality notes. Boucheron PH may get some unisex referencing from that but it's a relaxed and great scent. Very gentlemanly.

28th June, 2019 (last edited: 04th October, 2019)

Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) by Montana

This fragrance reminds me quite a bit of Quorum by Antonio Puig...oakmoss,pine,and lavender. It has a very large structure to it that's green, bitter, and soapy. Has a carnation note floating around in there and reminds me of a few early 80's scents like Krizia Uomo and Carlo Corinto Classic. This does have a feel of a spicy 'tree sap' with amber resin and cinnamon. Light touches of the oakmoss coming in through that amber and giving a bit of realism through bitterness to this sticky resin. There is leather in this... but to me it's stuck between the carnation and tree sap combo as a lighter note.

I give Montana Parfum D' Homme a neutral rating.It's not bad at all and worth trying if you like green scents and the early 80's style that's conservative and mature. It does pack an oakmoss and pine bitter punch that's for sure from the excellent projection this has. I can't call this unique though, because it just models most of it's construction from other early 80's scents. I really don't get the Havana reference: beyond the sticky spiced resin approach?...I'm thinking more along the lines of late 70's inspiration like Yatagan or Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur.If I never smelled any of those fragrances before, I would have given Montana Parfum D' Homme a thumbs up easily.
10th June, 2019 (last edited: 22nd June, 2019)

Club de Nuit Intense for Men by Armaf

This one has generated quite a buzz...I'm going off my perception of Club De Nuit Intense Man as a standalone fragrance.Not as a Creed clone which is a brand I'd never waste that kind of money on.

A lot of lemon followed with a coloring of pineapple leaf. You'd expect this to be dry from all that lemon...but there's a slightly 'moisture' to this fragrance,a little wet and soapy. This is a little smoky and getting that green bitterness from the pineapple accents it. To me there's a lot of musk in this. From how lemony and musky it is I am reminded of Halston 1-12 slightly.

Club De Nuit Intense Man tries to blend clean,fresh,and sensual all in one without a lick of dryness. I don't think this fragrance is all that synthetic. There is something about the clean side to it that's cold that makes this say this is a warm weather scent. I think if people can wear Drakkar Noir or Eternity for Men...Club De Nuit is just as flexible.

I can't stand the slightly jeweled look of the bottle though..they need to ditch those, it looks tacky.
21st March, 2019 (last edited: 27th July, 2019)

Façonnable Eau de Toilette for Men / Façonnable by Façonnable

I wouldn't consider Facconable EDT a stellar fragrance. But I've always been one that sat on the fence of Eternity for Men's success in my teenage and found there were less advertised but nicer/overlooked fresh scents of the 90's...Faconnable EDT is one of them.

This opens up with a bitter but fresh base of mint and florals. Citrus and a little twist of musk going on, complimented with a little bit of wood. This does have a lightly powdery finish through a little lavender I get. I detect a little bit of calone typical of any fresh scent, but more dialed back in this composition.As I smell this I get sort of a leathery note in the citrus territory.

Faconnable is fresh,sharp,clean, and formal. It's a fragrance you'd slide over to the Eternity crowd for something deeper and way less transparent. I like Faconnable EDT...it smells more mature and refined.
20th March, 2019 (last edited: 09th November, 2019)

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Obsession for Men isn't a bad fragrance...in fact it's the only one I like to an extent by Calvin Klein. It's more smooth and spicy than it is sweet really. I get a base of floral lavender, and a mix of orange,amber,and vanilla in the opening. A good dose of nutmeg comes through and coasts right through that amber/orange/vanilla mixture. This fragrance is a little woody but warm.

It's not offensive but I remember smelling this on adults growing up in the 80's.Ages 30 and up from my teachers in school to a server in a restaurant. Obsession is a mature scent to spray on if you can't think of what to wear from it's simplicity. When I think about it's simplicity though I always think "this should have been marketed as a $20 drugstore scent". But I'd be insulting drugstore scents of the 70's/80's era because a lot of them were more interesting and deeper in design yet far cheaper than Obsession was. People paid high dollar back then to smell boring I guess.
10th March, 2019 (last edited: 10th September, 2019)

Versace l'Homme by Versace

A gorgeous spicy, creamy, yet seductive barbershop scent...if you can remain patient for the dry down to occur. I admit the initial blast of Versace L'Homme is odd. It opens up with lemon, musk, and a coarse green collision of moss roughed up in passing through the lemon and musk. It will remind one of something lemon scented that you associate with a restroom cleaner. A yellow/lemon scented urinal screen or the spray disinfectant called Glybet.

Once this dries this fragrance transforms into a nice mix of dusty sandalwood and cinnamon. Vanilla concealing some patchouli inside thickens the scent giving a little sweetness and shaving cream tones with a little help from the musk. Old leather coming off in light hints. The lemon and moss perform a disappearing act to my nose. This is another conservative men's scent from the 80's that was done really well with a odd first impression. I can tolerate the intro of Versace L' Homme...Kouros I can't. Go light on this in warm weather if you must wear it, this is a thick and heavy scent.
08th March, 2019 (last edited: 23rd August, 2019)

Claiborne Sport by Liz Claiborne

I didn't like this one and found it to be the lamest 'sports' fragrance...

You just go nuts with the sprayer on this one trying out pick up something from the transparency. This is just a big wall of an ozonic note. Sniff a little closer I thought I smelled hints of yellow jasmine. Sniffing harder I get kind of a musk combined with a sort of sweetness.No refreshing citrus to my nose or anything. It might as well be lightly scented water...no soapy,citrusy,or green hints...Claiborne Sport is just lifeless.
27th February, 2019 (last edited: 14th June, 2019)

Claiborne for Men by Liz Claiborne

This is a good one by Liz Claiborne.It's initial blast goes strong giving an impression with it's lemon,suede,and floral blast.I wouldn't call it dandy or unisex...rather an indication it's a gentleman's scent.5-10 minutes though this smoothens out to a pretty good scent for $10.

Lemon mixed with a fizzy and soapy combo of aldehydes and lavender...smells like a fancy hotel soap.The florals are pleasant in this without being punishing.There's a lot of motion in this fragrance like the aldehydes and a little moss touching the florals giving fresh and green.The suede in this fools you a little bit thinking it's part of the backbone with the lemony soap.This does round itself off well with a little warmth from it's musky finish.

It's definitely a casual and office wear scent.I wouldn't say this is a sports fragrance but it has some of that inspiration behind it that green and citrusy clean approach of athletic scents back in the day like Racquet Club by English Leather and Lacoste Original.Claiborne for Men shapes from that to make a deeper and more interesting masculine fragrance.Curve for Men can't touch this with a 10ft. pole.
24th February, 2019

Joop! Homme Extreme by Joop!

It's an alright fragrance.

To me where the "Extreme" of this fragrance by Joop! comes in it's much heavier on the sweet cherry base minus the floral lavender in regular Joop! Homme. A little less patchouli and a kind of dark and smooth bitter sweetness from the black cocoa.This is more of low to moderate projection versus the high projection of the original.

Do I recoomend Joop! Homme Extreme?
I think this might be good for people who didn't like Joop! Homme for various reasons. They found it gender-bending from the cherry and lavender mix.They found the patchouli to be too heavy and skanky. Or they found Joop! Homme to be easily overpowering in general.Joop! Homme Extreme is definitely a response to some of the negative criticism of the original.It's wearable...but it's also a less interesting version of Joop! Homme.

09th February, 2019 (last edited: 29th July, 2019)

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I get a soapy rich base laced with anise and a pinch of honey to that anise.White flowers lurking in the mix.This is very musky...in fact the most I've detected in any fragrance.

This is a fragrance I find disgusting because I just find a jokingly toilet reference behind this scent's design, the bottle, and the musk.

The musk comes off as having some kind of fecal similarity that's gone in about 30 minutes but it's unsettling and just gross. The other notes shape this kind of dimension that you're in a white marble decorated bathroom in a restaurant or hotel. Some kind of anise infused custom soap and a vase of flowers on the white marble sink. Turning around behind you is a toilet that contains fecal matter that hasn't been flushed.

I have no idea why someone would want to smell like they spent the night sleeping on a public restroom floor...disgusting.
08th February, 2019 (last edited: 29th June, 2019)

Bogart by Jacques Bogart

I get a mixture of oakmoss and soapy lavender base to this...reminds me of Paco Rabanne PH...that Irish Spring Original soap comparison. This comparison though in Bogart's formula has a dark and bitter tinge added of rosemary and a lot of old leather flowing through this fragrance. Bogart yields a cloudy overcast day through it's seriousness but it let's a little sunshine in with refreshing hints of lemon.This is clean,serious,very green,and highly masculine like Quorum.

Does Bogart smell like Quorum?

Both share the same sophisticated impression so they are similar... but you can tell them apart. Quorum filters pine through it's lavender and goes the light splash of grapefruit for it's fresh take. Bogart of course filters oakmoss through it's lavender and uses lemon. Quorum has tobacco and patchouli to offer...Bogart is more leathery and focused on accenting it's mossy side with rosemary.Bogart is a little dry...Quorum is more moist to the nose.Quorum was definitely influenced by Bogart though...no mistaking that. Can't say which one I like more because they're both unique enough yet similar in sophistication. Being that there's so few reviews on Bogart(1975) it's obviously less heard of...Quorum fans take note.
31st January, 2019

Esencia Loewe by Loewe

This was a good fragrance and I didn't necessarily mind blind-buying Esencia Pour Homme.It's obviously a green and brown fragrance but I'm going to make this claim.I think Aspen was inspired by this,It's the similar tone,and this preceded Aspen by 1 year.Though wer'e talking two completely different levels of craftsmanship...Aspen is a cheap and more basic version of this.

I get a green body of vetiver,bitter herbs,and a bit of pine.A very light touch of lemon oil and soap though not cutting and more of a mild tone.Minty and cool but through an herbal tweak and not a Cool Water synthetic blast...this minty touch is more natural.This green and minty side softens down as this gains some leather and a berry note.Hard to define the berry exactly other than lightly sweet and warm...gives a rustic appeal to the brown side of Esencia.Even though I like this I'd still call this a casual wear easily.Formal wear? it's possible but you've probably got something more stylish and clean toned to pull off a suit more effectively.
19th January, 2019

Clubman by Pinaud

Pinaud Clubman aftershave isn't one I grew up smelling in the barbershop of the rural town I grew up.Skin Bracer Original by Mennen was what I smelled.My grandfather wore it also and I grew up on it.I wanted to try the regular Clubman aftershave because people are always praising this.In truth I tried this anywhere between 10-12 years ago but I saw it buying my usual aftershave and remembered... I owe this stuff a review.

The smell starts out with barbershop talc which is fine.But a little floral note keeps throwing the talc off course.A dominating duo of anise and citrus washes over the talc leaving a lightly detectable as a finish.The problem is the citrus and anise combo results in a very dry,semi-dark,and constant air of warmth.Aside from not liking the fragrance itself it's not crisp or refreshing in any aspect.

I'll stick to my Skin Bracer Original.No clue why people praise Clubman by Pinaud so highly...crass stuff.
28th June, 2018

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

A very interesting by Dunhill...reformulated or not...still wonderfully dated yet sophisticated smelling.This is a very good alternative for those who miss the old yellow fluid/original Monsieur Rochas that was more recognized because of it's wider distribution to store chains in the USA.But clearly Monsieur Rochas was very influenced by this stuff.

Very rich base of lemon teased with a touch of spice.Carnation,musk,soft leather,and a little sandalwood.All of those 4 notes given a lightly dusty finish with some Pinaud/old school style barbershop talc powder...not a baby powder note.Despite the hint of barbershop I would say this is a little warm and more of a fall,winter,and night fragrance where a little breeze.It's the somewhat dry and spiced lemon that cranks out some heat in this.
23rd June, 2018

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

This fragrance I have purchased twice during it's years of production and still have a partial bottle. Despite 'rarity' through the secondary market Memoire D' Homme was a $30-$40(depending on size) fragrance. I guess you could call it 'generic' from it's late 90's style of a semi-sporty office scent on a darker level.

I get fresh ginger and cedar in the opening followed with immediately hints of green. The green is a bit of smoky vetiver and licorice leaf...it gives mild hints of licorice, but mostly leafy.Opoponax incense resin I will get if I haven't worn this in a very long time, but it's not routine once your skin accommodates. This fragrance has a enjoyable wash of grapefruit to it.It's transparency and watery effect gives a sensation that it just rained and wets the greens giving a cool and fresh feel.

Had Memoire D' Homme still been in production it would have worn down to a $20 price tag easily like a lot of fresh scents.But this one was cranking brown,green,and black colors scent wise and it was just very unique and fresh on multiple levels.
15th June, 2018 (last edited: 19th February, 2019)

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

This fragrance I still like to a degree.In my eyes as cheap as Eternity for Men is now? that's the logical price tag.$70 for this back in the day was offering an 'innovative' scent as one of the original fresh scents in 1989 along with Claiborne for Men.

From Eternity for Men I don't get any basil or sage...but I do vetiver.Very transparent citrus and white soapy lavender fizzed with a slightly aldehydic edge attacking the grassy vetiver and leaving their trail behind as they spread cleanliness throughout.Sandalwood compliments a faint warmth to this which I think without it? could show more edge...but it's a calming touch to Eternity.Something in the mid between the vetiver soapy side and the sandalwood...it's a little fruity sweet and transparent.Comes off grape candy and/or melon sweet...it's 'Calone'.Mixed thoughts about this synthetic note but the exact shaping of it doesn't make me think it suits the fragrance. I'm thinking a little leather would have been the perfect substitute.

A decent fragrance that's now pretty affordable. Good for any kind of wear really because it's inoffensive. It is easy to get bored from though because it's bitter and bright green. It's easy to reach for but also makes you hesitate to reach for something darker and deeper in a men's fragrance. I'll give a thumbs up because I still like it and it is nostalgic.

11th June, 2018 (last edited: 25th September, 2019)

Musk for Men by Avon

This was a pretty good men's fragrance by Avon.There's not much of the musk genre left out here and strangely what survived is soapy.Monsieur Musk is nice and bold as one of these but Jovan Musk for Men?bland and lifeless...very out of place of the sweet,dirty,vaguely barbershop,and dark toned musk fragrances that made the musk genre.I happened to come across Avon Musk for Men on a trip to a flea market with an in-law.A vendor had several bottles of this on her table with a bunch of other really old Avon stuff.Really liked the smell and $10 for a 2.8oz bottle new in the box...really attractive rhombus shaped bottle too.First time I wore it I came back the next day and bought a few more bottles of this.I became a fan of Avon Musk for Men but cursing that they discontinued it.

It's very simplified and linear so no...this isn't complex,but it's limited note range fits so well.Very dominant duo of leather and musk with subtle tones rolling out of the mix.A touch of sweetness coupled with barbershop talc powder,this sweetness gives a light warmth to the powder.This fragrance though I wouldn't label as 'powdery' though because it's barbershop sensation is very mild.There is a green note to this but it's not sharp or bitter...it's leafy.It seems to take on some of the musk and a little sweetness kind of striking my nose as patchouli in the tone it gives.

Either Avon Musk for Men had good longevity and sillage originally or it just ages well.This cranks out low projection but for the entire 8 hours it's detectable with 5 measly drops.Not really surprised this is overlooked considering it's Avon making it less common and the musk genre's popularity becoming a smaller circle by 1990.Very manly and sexy stuff beneath that maroon cap...a well hidden gem of a musk by Avon.I hope they bring this simplistic but well done fragrance back one day.
11th June, 2018

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

I wasn't that crazy about this this one..

I get incense,rose,soap,and moss all kind of together in a smudgy streak..there's no note seperation.Something sweet through it...amber touched with a little cinnamon.Last thing I get in Pour Lui is what signifies the bottle's glass being blue...laundry musk.This means a musk note merged with an oceanic detergent note...think Tide detergent.I've smelled this in Lomani PH (blue glass also),Royal Copenhagen Musk (current formula), and the beach/ocean cologne called Wind Drift.I gather this was an old attempt at an aquatic feel.It's clean but a cheap and very synthetic smell that finishes off this fragrance.

I wanted to like this because it's floral/soap/incense structure is very akin to 80's scents like Krizia Uomo,Carlo Corinto Classic,or even One Man Show.At $25 it lacked a lot of craftsmanship though followed with it's 'blue side'.That knocked it down to a neutral.I gave it a week-3 sprays it had low projection and crapped out at 4 hrs.What made me throw it out kept happening at the 3rd hour.It's laundry musk grew stronger and combined with the soap to make a screechy mess to my nose.Negative analogies came to mind like a leaking Glade plug in air freshener.A brainless notion of rubbing laundry detergent on my neck then stand out under the sun only to induce a gagging and mildly nauseating reaction.For me...Pour Lui is a major thumbs down recommendation.
06th June, 2018 (last edited: 31st January, 2019)