Reviews by vipersinthefield

Joop! Homme Extreme by Joop!

Before I bought Joop! Homme Extreme I read quite a few reviews on it.I agree with those that the wording 'Extreme' doesn't sit right with this...maybe 'Focused' is a better wording.

I get the basic mix others mentioned of cherry,dark cocoa,patchouli,and leather...not clue what the hot skin accord is.

I get the same cherry sweetness but it's taken down a tad and teased by that dark bitter cocoa a little...an interesting take. Interesting because the original formula is powdered by clean lavender so no floral character in Homme Extreme, the cherry in this is darkened a little. The leather is very detectable in this flanker over the original..not drowned by vanilla and sweetness.I always considered the original a patchouli oil bomb...like the cherry this note is dialed back. Strange because you can spray this on your skin and put your nose to it and not smell patchouli at all.Smelling the actual blend you're getting lighter tones of that patchouli.

To me this is 8-12 hour fragrance.I'd say this is moderate in projection and not high like the original Joop! Homme.It's less sugary,still sexy of patchouli but less raunchy of competing with the 70's/80's powerhouses.Less notes like the elimination tobacco,vanilla,and sandalwood...almost a cleaned up version of Joop! Homme.Something tells me the house of Joop! designed this variation based on customer feedback who wanted to like the original but certain things prevented them from enjoying it.Extreme it's not...but it's a fascinating re-take on the basic principle of the composition.
09th February, 2019

Bogart by Jacques Bogart

I get a mixture of oakmoss and soapy lavender base to this...reminds me of Paco Rabanne PH...that Irish Spring Original soap comparison. This comparison though in Bogart's formula has a dark and bitter tinge added of rosemary and a lot of old leather flowing through this fragrance. Bogart yields a cloudy overcast day through it's seriousness but it let's a little sunshine in with refreshing hints of lemon.This is clean,serious,very green,and highly masculine like Quorum.

Does Bogart smell like Quorum?

Both share the same sophisticated impression so they are similar... but you can tell them apart. Quorum filters pine through it's lavender and goes the light splash of grapefruit for it's fresh take. Bogart of course filters oakmoss through it's lavender and uses lemon. Quorum has tobacco and patchouli to offer...Bogart is more leathery and focused on accenting it's mossy side with rosemary.Bogart is a little dry...Quorum is more moist to the nose.Quorum was definitely influenced by Bogart though...no mistaking that. Can't say which one I like more because they're both unique enough yet similar in sophistication. Being that there's so few reviews on Bogart(1975) it's obviously less heard of...Quorum fans take note.
31st January, 2019

Esencia Loewe by Loewe

This was a good fragrance and I didn't necessarily mind blind-buying Esencia Pour Homme.It's obviously a green and brown fragrance but I'm going to make this claim.I think Aspen was inspired by this,It's the similar tone,and this preceded Aspen by 1 year.Though wer'e talking two completely different levels of craftsmanship...Aspen is a cheap and more basic version of this.

I get a green body of vetiver,bitter herbs,and a bit of pine.A very light touch of lemon oil and soap though not cutting and more of a mild tone.Minty and cool but through an herbal tweak and not a Cool Water synthetic blast...this minty touch is more natural.This green and minty side softens down as this gains some leather and a berry note.Hard to define the berry exactly other than lightly sweet and warm...gives a rustic appeal to the brown side of Esencia.Even though I like this I'd still call this a casual wear easily.Formal wear? it's possible but you've probably got something more stylish and clean toned to pull off a suit more effectively.
19th January, 2019

Clubman by Pinaud

Pinaud Clubman aftershave isn't one I grew up smelling in the barbershop of the rural town I grew up.Skin Bracer Original by Mennen was what I smelled.My grandfather wore it also and I grew up on it.I wanted to try the regular Clubman aftershave because people are always praising this.In truth I tried this anywhere between 10-12 years ago but I saw it buying my usual aftershave and remembered... I owe this stuff a review.

The smell starts out with barbershop talc which is fine.But a little floral note keeps throwing the talc off course.A dominating duo of anise and citrus washes over the talc leaving a lightly detectable as a finish.The problem is the citrus and anise combo results in a very dry,semi-dark,and constant air of warmth.Aside from not liking the fragrance itself it's not crisp or refreshing in any aspect.

I'll stick to my Skin Bracer Original.No clue why people praise Clubman by Pinaud so highly...crass stuff.
28th June, 2018

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

A very interesting by Dunhill...reformulated or not...still wonderfully dated yet sophisticated smelling.This is a very good alternative for those who miss the old yellow fluid/original Monsieur Rochas that was more recognized because of it's wider distribution to store chains in the USA.But clearly Monsieur Rochas was very influenced by this stuff.

Very rich base of lemon teased with a touch of spice.Carnation,musk,soft leather,and a little sandalwood.All of those 4 notes given a lightly dusty finish with some Pinaud/old school style barbershop talc powder...not a baby powder note.Despite the hint of barbershop I would say this is a little warm and more of a fall,winter,and night fragrance where a little breeze.It's the somewhat dry and spiced lemon that cranks out some heat in this.
23rd June, 2018

Musk for Men by Avon

This was a pretty good men's fragrance by Avon.There's not much of the musk genre left out here and strangely what survived is soapy.Monsieur Musk is nice and bold as one of these but Jovan Musk for Men?bland and lifeless...very out of place of the sweet,dirty,vaguely barbershop,and dark toned musk fragrances that made the musk genre.I happened to come across Avon Musk for Men on a trip to a flea market with an in-law.A vendor had several bottles of this on her table with a bunch of other really old Avon stuff.Really liked the smell and $10 for a 2.8oz bottle new in the box...really attractive rhombus shaped bottle too.First time I wore it I came back the next day and bought a few more bottles of this.I became a fan of Avon Musk for Men but cursing that they discontinued it.

It's very simplified and linear so no...this isn't complex,but it's limited note range fits so well.Very dominant duo of leather and musk with subtle tones rolling out of the mix.A touch of sweetness coupled with barbershop talc powder,this sweetness gives a light warmth to the powder.This fragrance though I wouldn't label as 'powdery' though because it's barbershop sensation is very mild.There is a green note to this but it's not sharp or bitter...it's leafy.It seems to take on some of the musk and a little sweetness kind of striking my nose as patchouli in the tone it gives.

Either Avon Musk for Men had good longevity and sillage originally or it just ages well.This cranks out low projection but for the entire 8 hours it's detectable with 5 measly drops.Not really surprised this is overlooked considering it's Avon making it less common and the musk genre's popularity becoming a smaller circle by 1990.Very manly and sexy stuff beneath that maroon cap...a well hidden gem of a musk by Avon.I hope they bring this simplistic but well done fragrance back one day.
11th June, 2018

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

This fragrance I still like to a degree.In my eyes as cheap as Eternity for Men is now? that's the logical price tag.$70 for this back in the day was offering an 'innovative' scent that while refreshing and good for sring,summer,casual,and formal wear showed itself also capable as being just as synthetic as cheap colognes.

From Eternity for Men I don't get any basil or sage...but I do vetiver.Very transparent citrus and white soapy lavender fizzed with a slightly aldehydic edge attacking the grassy vetiver and leaving their trail behind as they spread cleanliness throughout.Sandalwood compliments a faint warmth to this which I think without it? could show more edge...but it's a calming touch to Eternity.Something in the mid between the vetiver soapy side and the sandalwood...it's fruity sweet and transparent.Comes off grape candy and/or melon sweet...it's 'Calone'.Mixed thoughts about this synthetic note but the exact shaping of it doesn't make me think of something original of Eternity.This element I remember in Iron by Coty which pre-dates Eternity for Men.That was the first thought that hit my mind.

A decent fragrance but with how sharp but transparent it is through the citrus and calone it causes one to overspray because it doesn't one as potent.Go easy on this stuff because for some it causes headaches,for me it causes me to constantly swallow.Almost like an early detection sign of a case of acid reflux coming on.

11th June, 2018

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

I wasn't that crazy about this this one..

I get incense,rose,soap,and moss all kind of together in a smudgy streak..there's no note seperation.Something sweet through it...amber touched with a little cinnamon.Last thing I get in Pour Lui is what signifies the bottle's glass being blue...laundry musk.This means a musk note merged with an oceanic detergent note...think Tide detergent.I've smelled this in Lomani PH (blue glass also),Royal Copenhagen Musk (current formula), and the beach/ocean cologne called Wind Drift.I gather this was an old attempt at an aquatic feel.It's clean but a cheap and very synthetic smell that finishes off this fragrance.

I wanted to like this because it's floral/soap/incense structure is very akin to 80's scents like Krizia Uomo,Carlo Corinto Classic,or even One Man Show.At $25 it lacked a lot of craftsmanship though followed with it's 'blue side'.That knocked it down to a neutral.I gave it a week-3 sprays it had low projection and crapped out at 4 hrs.What made me throw it out kept happening at the 3rd hour.It's laundry musk grew stronger and combined with the soap to make a screechy mess to my nose.Negative analogies came to mind like a leaking Glade plug in air freshener.A brainless notion of rubbing laundry detergent on my neck then stand out under the sun only to induce a gagging and mildly nauseating reaction.For me...Pour Lui is a major thumbs down recommendation.
06th June, 2018 (last edited: 31st January, 2019)

Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

I'm going to give Animale for Men a thumbs up.Make no bones about it this is linear and yes it is synthetic...but it's also a hybrid of two late 80's fragrances.Those fragrances are Lapidus Pour Homme (1987) and Aspen by Coty (1989) as a fruity and freshly green and leathery fragrance.

The fruity side of this fragrance comes from that identical grape sweetened lavender base of Lapidus PH.I get new leather,mint,and a green haze produced by a mix of vetiver and juniper.This gives this stuff some air to this fragrance in a green and fresh yet slightly sharp way keeping the sweetness more focused and not dominating.I'll give this fragrance some props I don't think this is merely a smattering of two fragrances as there's some fine tuning done to it.As interesting as I find Lapidus PH to be it's very heady and powdery...through Animale is sticks to the main focus of the base.Aspen is very eye-opening and a bit synthetic but this captures that and I find the leather to be turned up a little in Animale for Men.

I'd suggest going easy on the sprayer.If this stuff lost a little projection muscle since the early 90's it seems pretty darn powerhouse even today.This will fool you at first delivering the transparent green and leathery side initially on spray until the grape/lavender grows through the mix within 5 minutes so go easy.2-3 sprays should get you pretty moderate projection for the first 8 hours...low projection for another 6 hours or so.I'm not going to claim a false popularity on Animale for Men because these two fragrances it shares identity with were bigger sellers up to the mid 90's.But I remember seeing this fragrance in dept. stores in my youth and I smelled this combination a lot in public places..it's nostalgic that's for sure.It is very possible that Animale for Men just slipped through the fingers of time and became less known over the decades.
05th June, 2018

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

Cacharel Pour Homme...hmmm...can't walk with the masses on this one.Not because I think this is a bad fragrance on any level...because the nutmeg is worth bragging about.Not quite all it's cracked up to be though...

What does Cacherel Pour Homme smell like?
I get a rich start of geranium and vetiver soaking in lemon only for the first 10 minutes until dry down.White soap comes forth and this lemon/vetiver/geranium becomes milder as the soap gains dominance. As the soap gets stronger it begins to exhale the nutmeg contained inside it.Dark,bitter,and spicy and this smells nice and old-fashioned.Someone who doesn't like vintage fragrances wouldn't like because it does have a slight medicinal aspect as a few have mentioned reflecting a smell more appreciated in the early 20th century.By the 3rd hour it's down to nothing but the soap and nutmeg and remains this way for the duration.Esecially when the soap loses the lemon it gets a little flat and reminds me more of dry soap than a fresh and moist bar of soa.

Cacherel PH delivers such a wonderful introduction that it initially lives up to the $50 price tag for a 3.4oz bottle I paid.The projection is fairly low but it hangs on a good 12 hours.It's 2 note conservative trace it leaves behind is a simple delight as in it could be cheap aftershave.I will give this props,it is wearable any time of the year...it doesn't run hot.This loses all it's beauty though and becomes so lifeless and boring I can't really say the typical safe/office wear scents aren't lacking imagination after encountering this.I wore this for 2 weeks to see if this would ever progress and it was just the same lackluster result.

30th May, 2018 (last edited: 02nd June, 2018)

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

Not a terrible fragrance really.Now I'll be upfront and give it a thumbs down though...

*Lacoste Original lasts about 2 hours on my skin.You can actually sense a countdown timer on this becomes noticeably weaker and then drops.Terrible output for an EDT straddling more like an aftershave.

*This fragrance is pleasant on a hot day but it uses very few notes to capture that create the competition.You're getting burned if you think this is worth the $50 when stuff like Pino Silvestre Sport and Adidas Sport/Sport Field captured a really similar identity to Lacoste Original that lasts longer and cost a heck of a lot less.

It's been a few years since I've smelled Lacoste Original.What I remember in this was anise,a semi herbal and grassy smell,and clean citrus.I do recall initially getting lavender and a white floral but disappears like a fart into the wind in seconds.If Lacoste played their cards right they could have made this an aftershave to be found in grocery and drug stores that people might like it's that refreshing...but cheap and simple.I literally threw my 3.4oz bottle in the trash which stung a little at $50 but I was that let down about it.If this fragrance held on with decent projection lasting a good 10-12 hours I wouldn't buy it again...but I'd rate it at a neutral.
29th May, 2018

Chaps (original) by Ralph Lauren

If I had to give my own opinion on the notes list...I'd say it's fairly inaccurate.My notes would be...

Lavender,musk,benzoin resin,honey,myrtle pepper/allspice,tobacco,leather,vanilla,and dusty sandalwood.

This fragrance cranks out a base built on lavender and musk.Powdery at first and rich in musk initially reflecting a barbershop powder.Vanilla hits the lavender and whips this up into a manly shaving cream scent.Benzoin resin containing several notes inside touches this shaving cream to a degree and gives it's old-fashioned qualities.Honey puts out a little sweetness but this is darkened by a merging of myrtle pepper.The tobacco touches this dark sweetness also giving a sensation of an older aromatic pipe tobacco mixture.The leather and sandalwood don't play as deep of a role...but it's detectable.

Though Chaps by Ralph has been discountinued for quite some time now...it was an excellent fragrance.Gifted widely on birthdays and holidays back in the 80's to early 90's.Though gifted out to the young age demographic also...this grabbed the adults more because this was a mature scent that said 25 years and up at least.It was thick,old-fashioned,and racy...it was designed to attract women...not girls.Chaps by Ralph Lauren was very unique.

28th May, 2018 (last edited: 25th January, 2019)

Brut by Fabergé

Green and lemony toned with both barbershop talc and wood in a powder structure with a little vanilla.Rich in dry lemon and some anise.This sits at a hard thumbs down for me...never cared for the way lemon and anise come off which is in a weird way.It smells like this is a rotten lemon pulled out of a dumpster getting baked in the summer heat.The bitter anise is the mold on the lemon which contributes that dried sunbaked feel and these two generate heat...nasty combination.If Brut replaced this with something nicer to flow with this manly barbershop feel it would get a thumbs up easily at the low price.I just can't work with that rancid lemon and anise at all.
27th May, 2018

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Blind bought this out of curiosity...always used to see this in the five and dime stores and always a little curious especially today with Grey Flannel's high ratings.This smells like something a tourist from Florida,New York,or California whipped up to make a buck off of as a reflection of their trip to the south.Something they wear before they can visit to watch the leaves change and do some 'glamping'.

Grey Flannel's approach is to invoke what seems like a sunny day in a rural mountain area.The tourist notices a certain worship to the mountain breeze by the natives.Despite the modern convenience of a dryer some people still like to hang their clothes on the line to dry.Despite Central Air some families like to dine with the windows open and let the breeze carry the fragrance of the forest through the field and through the flower bed giving an indulgence of nature's gift through the open windows of their home.Grey Flannel hit a neutral for me because it's a useless scent to me as a southerner and had no appeal.It hit negative because it was so tacky and synthetic.

I get a really bitter and sharp lemon in this bordering more on an industrial cleaner of some kind.Sandalwood is in this which does nothing really other than generates more dryness to the lemon.A really nasty violet note.I like violet in general as a note in Preferred Stock and Sung Homme but this is gross with it's urine tone it has.A moss note but more reflective to a sun dried/stale moss crumbling to a powder in my hand.A rose and powder duo...this bothered me in two ways.The powdery structure combined with the bitter crumbling moss adds more powder to me and made me sneeze both times.The rose and soap combination rubs me in a way of an elderly woman's after bath powder really.Grey Flannel reminds me of the ladies gathered after Sunday service in the living room for a glass of sweet tea and gossip.All of them trying to outdo each other with Jean Nate,Primo!,and feminine floral scents by Crabtree Evelyn combined.

Grey Flannel is very tacky,synthetic,old lady feminine,and trying to throw off a 'Little House on the Prairie' feel.It's like a bad joke that I'm surprised isn't sold in the back of the tourism promoting magazine called Southern Living via mail order.A magazine that also avoids discussing problems in the south on economical,poltical,and cultural issues at the result of tourists migrating here.

27th May, 2018

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

There is one note in Zino that is very evident but it's not listed...musk...LOTS of musk!You catch it as a finish in the vanilla and comes strong and of sexual rank on initial spray along with the citrus and lavender...then it smooths down to a sensual level and not kinky.The lavender and citrus sort of merge together to create a polished feel to the vanilla and smoothen and clean...without getting soap.Powdery tones of sandalwood,rosewood,and a noticeable patchouli.These create nice tones to the fragrance without being too heavy and adding texture,maintaining the focus on keeping Zino smooth.I don't get any rose in this but I sure do get a lot of yellow jasmine.Soft,sweet,lightly warm jasmine...a very calm and non-pungent floral.I can't really picture Zino with rose in it with how well jasmine works in this fragrance.

I get a varying 8-10 hours from Zino by Davidoff.It's smooth,sensual,and gentlemanly.Zino doesn't smell 80's at all-it's not edgy,dark,spicy,or bold.If anything Zino is more in tune to the versatility of the musk genre back in the 70's that made them so darn wearable anytime and anywhere.

Anything I don't like about Zino?

You know how when you wake up the next day and smell a fragrance under your shirt collar and it's noticeable but it's smeared,collapsed,and lost it's structural integrity of the composition?...Zino leaves a weird trace behind.It's very flesh-toned and powdery to my nose...smells like women's makeup powder.I guess it could be worse like some green fragrances that give off a sour remnant.This always throws me for a loop on Zino though.
24th May, 2018 (last edited: 26th May, 2018)

Carlo Corinto Classic by Carlo Corinto

I think Carlo Corinto Classic is a pretty interesting fragrance but it does strike me as a sequel to Krizia Uomo.It's the patchouli,carnation,and lavender these two share that have that familiar feel.Carlo Corinto is a bit different wielding some pine and leather in it that's covered in moss sticking to a more green and deeper earthy feel to it.The lavender in this does share it's floral side with the rich carnation,but I do think there's a smidgen of soap to it.This fragrance is very dark green with romantic touch but I wouldn't advise pushing it past 2 sprays.For one I think this performs really well on moderate projection for 8 hours then goes pretty low for another 4...detectable the next day though.Second reason is there's an anise note in this that filters through the moss that makes itself known in the 4-6 hour mark.It's pleasant and addds growl to Carlo Corinto Classic dark style.Overspray though and this will hit through dark and really bitter punches as the anise and moss tag team on your nose.

A very beautiful and masculine green fragrance...yet it's somewhat haunting.I would definitely recommend this to fans of Quorum or Krizia Uomo.
19th May, 2018 (last edited: 22nd May, 2018)

Jacomo de Jacomo Original by Jacomo

I've always felt that notes pyramid listed here for Jacomo De Jacomo was a bit off.Here's what my nose gets...

Sandalwood,tobacco,clove,cinnamon,incense,lavender,and vanilla.

Very woody,creamy,and spicy upon initial spray.It's not dominanat of tobacco instantly but as the syrupy clove heavy and light cinnamon combo comes out this began to blossom tobacco and wafts of incense through the clove structure.The creamy and semi-sweet quality of a warm vanilla and dab of lavender keeps in the background for quite a while.

Probably for the first 4-5 hours this remains a clove cigarette kind of quality that reminds me of Djarum Black with something with some of the harsh edge rubbed down a little through vanilla.After that hour range though to me this goes into a kind of Captain Black White(Vanilla/Original) scent.That vanilla expands and absorbs the sandalwood and clove creating a vanilla pipe tobacco but the sandalwood and clove provide dry and spicy tones to it still reflecting something old fashioned,but a little more detailed.

Jacomo de Jacomo Original is an 8-10 hour yielding moderate projection for at least the first six hours in my opinion.Casual wear for sure,this does nothing for a suit or grants any style to formal wear.Smells pleasant though and invokes a certain nostalgia behind it's retro...strangely reminds me of the malls back in the 80's era.Lots of plants with wood paneling,old-fashioned street light style and chandelier fixtures...70's decor style that carried over into that decade.The scent of someone strolling through the corridors leaving the fragrant aroma of pipe tobacco behind cotributing more to the atmosphere of more noticeable European element in the United States.
05th May, 2018

Havana by Aramis

Initially I was a little disappointed with Havana as I was expecting a more dominant tobacco note here..a little more earthy I guess.But I do think this is the one fragrance I truly love by Aramis...it's very mature.Tobacco but seasoned with clove here rendering it spicy and touched with tones of incense.This fragrance has just a little bit of floral and soapy lavender but it doesn't crossover into the tobacco and spice notes itself.There's something oily and slightly resinous to this kind of buttery and leaves an aftertaste of the clove on it.I'd say this was a dash of amber but it's not in the notes.

It's a good fragrance if you know what you're walking into with Havana versus hype or exaggeration.
03rd May, 2018 (last edited: 05th May, 2018)

Bijan for Men by Bijan

I haven't had Bijan for Men in a long time.But I remember what this smelled like and even my nose recalled it so to me...no complaints about it being currently under Five Star Fragrances.It even still cranks out the 2 sprays delivering 10-12 hours of good projection.I'm not going to ride on the claim that this watered down.Because when first started wearing Bijan it lasted 16 hours and my skin and nose adapted to it? ended up being 12 hours and not overwhelmingly heady.This does have a great sprayer though so a thumbs up to that on a cheap fragrance.

This is a fragrance built from a resinous body of honey,spice,and a little amber and poured into a bowl of ingredients.You don't know what's in the bowl yet aside from this thick,sweet,and spicy base.Stir it a little and it reveals a lot of oakmoss teamed up with some patchouli.Tones of myrrh incense in there that seem to accent with the amber quite beautifully.Stir a little more and you'll find a light but noticeable amount of carnation and sandalwood.I never got musk from this fragrance back then and currently...it's the aged patchouli doing the talking.

I would put Bijan for Men into a group with other fragrances of the 70's style that were sweet and resinous with patchouli filtering through it like Yatagan by Caron,Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur,and Givenchy Gentleman.Very middle eastern feeling but really erotic through incense,patchouli,and spicy resin with an oakmoss edge...it's very distracting.Bijan for Men I think is a good casual,date night,or office wear fragrance.Office wear I mean you don't wear a suit and meet clients or interface with the general public for a duration.This is a bit too forward and aggressive in it's sensuality to hold a professional approach.Only reason I could think of that it isn't as popular as Joop! Homme as a sensual fragrance is maybe it's dirty and more new-age in it's style.

28th April, 2018 (last edited: 14th July, 2018)

Ulysse by Vicky Tiel

I've been wanting to try Ulysse by Vicky Tiel and despite the negative reviews...it only seemed to provoke my curiousity to try it.After spending tome time with this fragrance I can say that I do like it. But I thought this should been named 'Ulysse Musk' because it is of that musk genre.I would refer to this as a richer and green update to the style of Jovan Musk for Men.

Ulysse starts out with lavender,hawthorne,and lime blossoms.Clean,green,a mild accent done with the hawthorne and lavender contacting each other and reminding me of spring.A hint of sweetness from some vanilla but as the lavender evolves into a powder it becomes cool and pleasant.Nutgmeg becomes apparent and as the musk gains strength it binds with it...spicy and very musky.This fragrance still retains the light green hawthorne and lime blossom mix in the background.

Closing Thoughts:
I've had good results with Ulysse at 3 sprays holding a low to moderate projection at a good 8 hours.This isn't a thin or bland fragrance by any means but a thick and modernized(for it's time period) musk fragrance.I will complement Ulysse by Vicky Tiel by stating as an under $20 fragrance it's a very interesting musk...classic but well advanced in composition.If this came out in the 80's and was by Davidoff,Dior,or Yves Saint Laurent?this would probably have a stronger level of recognition.

06th April, 2018 (last edited: 27th January, 2019)

Taxi by Cofinluxe

As the first to review Taxi by Cofinluxe this fragrance was created in 1984.I took an interest in getting a bottle as others claim this akin to Drakkar Noir as an alternate or 'for fans of'.I don't see that.You know what Taxi has in common with? Azzaro Pour Homme.

Here's the notes I get:lavender,anise,spearmint,moss,tobacco,and musk

On spray I get a very soapy blast which at first struck me on the level of Quorum or Sung Homme.The soap quickly settles down to a mild state and a lot of warm anise and spearmint comes right out. Moss comes out under the spearmint delivering lightly bitter undertones. Lavender keeps this fragrance clean and the spearmint enhancing freshness from it's clean side while keeping the hefty amount of anise tame and cool. Over a few hours this lavender/anise/spearmint trio creams down to a softer state, the moss becomes stronger, and a little musk and tobacco blossoms out. Cigarette tobacco not pipe tobacco. The combination doesn't really dive towards delivering a sensual quality...just a masculine 'guy vibe'.

As a $10 fragrance Taxi is definitely a daily casual or work wear fragrance.It's projection is light at 4-6 hours so I don't think you'd have to worry about the anise being too heavy or bothering people around you...but it is rich.This is definitely a modified but inspired take on Azzaro Pour Homme.I really like this hidden gem..thumbs up in my opinion!
24th March, 2018

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

If I had to rate Bvlgari Pour Homme I'd gave it a neutral...UNDER certain conditions...if this were a $15 fragrance.I got lucky when I got a 3.4oz bottle at $35 from a store closing up and selling off their stock...this goes more commonly for late forties in dollar range.The dollars just aren't there with this fragrance,even at $35....

It's very weak...others will use the word 'subtle' to dodge around the dollar cost and avoid the topic altogether.If this were a $10 fragrance though and it were weak?...people would say 'figures it's a $10 fragrance'and actually call it weak.This was a 5-6 spray deal and low projection.3rd or 4th hour this became hard to detect at all.

It's a clean and conservative fragrance so it is wearable.It's a little green and citrusy clean.Bitter from tea with a little peppery edge in there.There's a 'fuzzy sweater' vibe to this fragrance-interesting but a little off being this is a spring/summer scent and this puts a little winter wear out there.But the tea and pepper I could see emphasizing a little fall and winter to support this sweater note.I never catch the musk initially in spray or developing in the dry down and is pretty inconsistent.Basically it hides out in the blend and farts out musk randomly.I wouldn't really call the musk sensual because it veers in the direction of old,cheap,and synthetic fragrances producing a 'laundry musk'...musk mixed with a dryer sheet note or in this case that sweater note.

Shortly put if you threw this fragrance back into the 1970's and it didn't bare the Bvlgari name? it would be a $10 fragrance today.It's more retro than modern and I don't mind that.As a cheapie it fills the gap of a pleasant but cut and dry/non complex daily fragrance.It would be liked today but not even the most imaginative thing from the 70's a mere $25 can buy in complexity and strength.

17th March, 2018 (last edited: 13th April, 2018)

Burberry for Men by Burberry

If I had to describe this fragrance through less wording I'd call it 'a modernized take on Black Suede'.It's the smooth,clean,and sweet facsimile that Burberry for Men has with a little more color to it.

I'm getting mildly soapy lavender and just a little amber and vanilla.Dipped in that amber/vanilla combo are the larger apple and black currants notes which comes off nicely as a fall reminder and tart.Mint comes out in this but seems to dwell within the lavender and restraining it just asa mild sense of freshness.Fair amounts of sandalwood and musk in the finish.

No, Burberry for Men isn't an edgy cologne.But it's smooth,clean,and despite being sweet...it's got a conservative quality to it.I really like it because it's cool running,but the blend makes you think of a 'fall spice' type of scent.It's a light projection fragrance at 3-4 sprays going 4-6 hours at best.Except in spring and summer where it hangs in 8 hours roughly on me.There's a really short list of good stuff from back in the 90's in my taste that I like.A lot of scents were so synthetic,sporty deodorant fresh,aquatic, and tacky.Burberry for Men makes a spot on my list.
17th March, 2018

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

This and Polo Original were considered the epitome of a men's fragrance from the 80's to mid 90's...fizzling out quite a bit from the aquatics era takeover or should I say trend. The purpose behind Drakkar Noir was a black leather fragrance that gave fresh/invigorating qualities.It's dark but cool and transparent in it's sharp finesse.

Here's the notes I always detected:
Black leather,patchouli,lemon,moss,juniper,lavender,and sandalwood.

With that being said I was a little let down initially that the patchouli has been whittled down to a much lighter note in the current formula.It doesn't play that role largely as it used to since it 'drenched' the black leather in patchouli oil.It's still there giving a light twist but thankfully but took some weight from the original formula.Hints of moss and sandalwood drift in the background accenting hints of bitter-green and wood.The soapy side though is nice.Juniper and lemon channeling straight through a bar of lavender soap making a slick,refreshing,and sharp soap smell that downright adds slickness behind Drakkar Noir.

The longevity does lack versus what Drakkar Noir used to be, but I get roughly 8 hours from it at 3-4 sprays.Low projection but to me it was back then as well.Someone coming back to this fragrance will encounter that it's lighter or not quite as rich...once again...the reduction of patchouli.If Drakkar Noir still wore the $45 price tag today for a 3.4oz bottle under this current formula this would be a neutral.As a $25 fragrance today it still deserves a thumbs up because it still smells great and not different enough to snub nose this leather fragrance.

14th March, 2018 (last edited: 20th March, 2018)

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

I get merely just a base of lemon and amber to build that sharp and resinous/sticky body.Tweaks of dry herbs give it a green side while the lemon draws out more clarity.It's a pretty good take on a pine-cone I'll give it that to Pino Silvestre.Despite it's almost skin scent projection and 2-3 hour longevity that bitter/resinous sap smell(amber and herbs) can get to you at times in warm weather because amber is also sweet...comes off kind of odd and hard to wear.

I love the bottle though!
14th March, 2018

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Nothing special about Polo Sport.Half aquatic and half fruity fresh 'sporty' scent.It's clean and fresh...it's just boring yet expensive.You could probably blend Nautica Classic and any Adidas fragrance with it and make your own little 'mongrel' of a scent that would be more creative.
14th March, 2018

Adidas Moves by Adidas

Horrible...absolutely horrible.A very transparent fragrance that was clean in a laundry detergent way but highly metallic..I'm claiming grapefruit was in Moves.A light note of leather and pineapple in this cold and metallic garbage.

Cool Water by Davidoff

The GOOD behind this fragrance:hints of tobacco,musk,citrusy fresh,and peppermint.

The BAD behind this fragrance:It's not original and copied from a fragrance made in 1935.It's $5 and found in the grocery store...it's called Ice Blue by Aqua Velva.

Not many people made the connection yet.Or at least pretend they haven't.A little sad that people were dropping $45 back in 1990 on a $5 aftershave scent with mildly higher quality of the same notes structure.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

It's an enjoyable tobacco fragrance but has very few notes.Smells like a natural cinnamon cased pipe tobacco with hints of leather and cherry wine note.Unfortunately it doesn't remind me of a port...reminds of Night Train which is a cherry flavored bum wine.A cheap drink that that was found in any rural area gas station and the strongest buzz you could get since the closest liquor store was at least 70 miles away.

The cherry note isn't depressing as it fits to the holiday and winter feel of Burberry London...it's the wine part and the familiar cherry combined.It's Christmas Eve and mom is sprinkling cinnamon on a mince fruit pie she just baked.Dad is found in the living room passed out,slouched in his leather chair and just finished his pipe.Beside his pipe on the side table you see a partial bottle of Night Train and an envelope.It's a foreclosure notice from the bank on the farmhouse...Merry Christmas.

Aside from how this fragrance rubs one on it's winter and Christmas memories...It's pretty stripped down in notes and in projection it starts out decent and goes to low.By the 6th hour I can't even smell it on me.Burberry London used to be pretty expensive which I would have gave it a thumb-downs easily at it's $55-$60 price tag for a 3.3oz bottle years ago.I waited until it was acquirable at the $30-$35 price range and blind-bought it.It's a mixed recommendation.

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

This fragrance I've been a fan of for the past 11 years now.Not that I've ever worn with this all the time without a change of pace...but I really do like Lucky Number 6.But I've worn it daily the mass majority of the time.For a cheap fragrance it sports a scent reminiscent to it's bottle look.

I get a base of black leather that's new or polished...it's identical to that petrol-like leather note in Fahrenheit by Christian Dior.Dark plum and oriental spice comes across and seasons this leather.There's a interesting combo of dry moss(green note) getting some citrusy edge from the neroli in this.A little sharp but also bracing and exotic to the nose.Last is the hint of sandalwood that peeks out of the plum and spice adding a little more to it's dark oriental flavor.Everything about this fragrance is black and red except of course the green/citrusy touch.

It's a low projection fragrance but runs steady on my skin 6-8 hours.Runs about another 4 hours as a skin scent.It's comfortable for casual or work wear.It's a great scent for being inexpensive but I would call this mature minded.
12th March, 2018 (last edited: 14th February, 2019)