Reviews by Niffty

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Angel Men was too sweet and synthetic for me to appreciate. I can understand it getting better reviews from the younger audience but its not for me.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Nice mix of woods and spice that takes a nod towards Bleu de Chanel in my eyes. I like these kind of scents very much although it could project a bit better. If it would project and last like Bleu then it would be superb. Still not a bad scent for the money though.

Spice and Wood by Creed

This would get a thumbs up but the price lets it down, there is no way I could justify spending that sort of money on this fragrance. It also doesn't scream at you that it's anything special, versatile yes, everyday wearer, could be, but for the money i'd rather be spending it elsewhere on cheaper fragrances that pack more of a punch.

1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

This Scent is the reason i'm here, i've spent an age looking for this after smelling it on somebody. To me it is the ultimate masculine barbershop olfactory blend. It has that fresh just shaved and clean vibe that hits you with an old school twist. Maybe not for the younger generation this one as it more of a pure gents cologne fragrance that shares stables with the likes of Eau Sauvage, Grey Flannel and even Amouages Dia man, although the similarities 1881 by Cerruti beats the all hands down and is right up there on my list of best buys.
Great scent!

Erolfa by Creed

I was expecting more from Erolfa than this unfortunately, it has lemony disinfectant kind of vibe going on that didn't give me any wow factor. Ahsame really as I was really hoping for something glorious like some of Creeds other offerings.
11th May, 2015

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens

This is a very incense based fragrance, so much so it really reminds me of strolling through the hippy markets in Goa and taking in all the glorious wafts of authentic Indian josticks.
13th April, 2015

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

My first and only blind buy.
Didn't really do much for me, its a nice scent but that s it really. Clean and citrus opening but rather bland and too safe. Also has a feminine side to it which I wasn't keen on.
23rd March, 2015

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

This is just too sickly and overpowering for me....not my vibe at all.
17th March, 2015

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Jubilation XXV to me is like Reflections older brother with more darker and spicy notes, take out the Joop vibe and add some more woods and spice. I would give it a thumbs up and I can see why its gets a lot of good reviews on here but it just doesn't suit me for some reason, I was going to vote a neutral but I can appreciate the quality of the scent and how it attracts a following.
16th March, 2015 (last edited: 17th March, 2015)

Reflection Man by Amouage

This is my favourite offering i've tried from from Amouage's mens line, It has a very clean and sweet opening. The dry down kept reminding me of Joop! Homme which was a favourite of mine in my late teens, probably why I like it so much. The only problem is it reminded me so much of Joop I don't know if I could see myself shelling out that much for a bottle. Good work Amouage for the blend but I can't see myself considering this for the cabinet until Joop runs out.
16th March, 2015

Memoir Man by Amouage

Not for me this one. One of the green mossy notes doesn't sit well on my skin and repels me a bit. The dry-down comes not quick enough and after about 4 hours the unpleasantness wears away to reveal some more appealing scents. I really tried to like memoir but it just didn't work out.
15th March, 2015

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Another superb blend by Oliver Creed. I opened my sample up and got an instant hit of I know this smell and I wish I can put my finger on when or where i've smelt this before. That being said a frangrance this good must have had a lasting impression on me if I had smelt it before or stimulated something pretty awesome in my mind if I haven't smelt it before. Either way its very alluring. The notes mix together very well to give me an initial blast of a gin kind of hit, this dries down revealing the fruit pallet, currents, citrus with some underlying woods. very appealing.

Aventus by Creed

Aventus just nails it, it has that wow factor you wish you get when sampling a new fragrance, that feeling of amazement, that moment you put the bottle up to your nose or go in for the initial spray and get touched by something magical. For me it awakens and stimulates my senses in a way that evokes some kind of nostalgia, déjà vu if you like. The fruits harmonize with the florals so well with this perfume I think it underlines everything the Creed house stands for in their testaments and is their benchmark fragrance. Something for other houses to aspire to.
Well done Oliver Creed hats off to you!
5 stars

Bulgari Man in Black by Bulgari

Mens oriental:

This is actually a really nice fragrance, opens up quite spicey almosty smelling as if it belongs to amouage house. After an hour or two the dry down reveals a smooth fruity vibe, still having the spice hit but more clean and tropical. Got a good seven hours out of it too. 4 stars.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Sorry I don't get the hype with this one. Sure it is a clean citrus based fragrance but doesn't jump out to me as being anything special. I'm glad I sampled it but I would rather spend my money on a fragrance that isn't so generic.
13th March, 2015

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

A nice spicy array of colorful notes in this one, not as legendary as the original but a decent and lively fragrance for an evening scent.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Classic....tons of character and plenty of fruit and charm. This is probably the scent i've owned that has had most complements. Thank you Hugo!

Hilfiger Est. 1985 by Tommy Hilfiger

I was shocked that this fragrance wasn't a sensation on here, I received a bottle as a present and as soon as I sprayed it I knew I was in love. To me Hilfiger1985 makes a connection and I guess that is what we all strive for when trying on something new, an initial hit of Wow, a hit that makes you stop thinking and try to let the scent put you somewhere. I could wear this at any occasion and feel comfortable, like an old friend is with me. Yes to me it is that good.

The only downside is the longevity. In a way I'm glad I go against the majority here as its each to their own, it also means its connection to me will find its way back into my collection soon.

Nightflight by Joop!

This is a really great scent, fresh as morning dew. I first picked up a bottle in the mid 90's in the original Joop years and loved it so much it found its way back into my collection now. Nightflight still has that mesmerizing first hit that keeps me coming back for more.

Next Dimension by Next

Also bought for me as a present I used to love the initial opening but the long-haul wear seems to dry down a bit bitter for me. Not a bad budget scent but there are better ones out there.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

There is just something Christian Dior got right with this fragrance, you can instantly tell when someone is wearing Fahrenheit as it has such a bold statement. Yes its a marmite scent but when you love it you love it, it speaks to you in a such sensual sultry way and has probably turned as many heads as the most legendary perfumes made to man.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

This was the first fragrance that encapsulated me in the 90's, the one. Yes it has been mentioned it has a feminine side, not only with the overall sweet scent but with the pink bottle and demeanor. Joop has a charm that polarizes the senses as its strong sillage can dance in the air and hit you like a field of blossom. The popularity of this fragrance has made it a classic to me however I have smelt it that much I cannot wear it too often anymore without some confidence issues, its like WOW really are you gonna put Joop on and go out?

I would have given this five stars as they surely don't make them like this anymore, its far too out there, far too interesting and unique....just more of a fragrance of yesteryear for me now.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

This is such a heavy hitter for a budget fragrance, the initial blast hits you with a deep and dry almost harsh opening but the edge comes away revealing some sensual undertones that stay with you. There is some powder but definitely shines through as a males fragrance which complements a clean and fresh cut formal evening occasion, no wonder this has stood the test of time.