Reviews by fragranceseeker

fragranceseeker's avatar
    fragranceseeker

7 de Loewe by Loewe

Opens with clove, clove, and then more clove, so I was not impressed initially, and neither was my lady, who "wears" Loewe fragrances. However, a while later, the mid notes of apple and cedarwood took over, with hints of spice(not sure which one). Drydown to basenotes a while later yielded the strength of this EDT, a superb, longlasting fragrance that typifies the Loewe approach to pefumery, making it different.
    Oh, and longevity? Well, what would you expect from Loewe...........excellent of course. Hours and hours.........

04 May, 2014

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Definitely a negative!Visited Harrod's in Knightsbridge with my partner just before olympics, so I tried it from a tester. My goodness, what on earth is all the fuss about?This is a cheap smelling EDT that lasted a couple of hours, aqnd why would I wish to smell of sickly sweet Tea/Blackcurrant? Oh well, one can fool some of the people all of the time etc....

14 January, 2013

Horizon by Guy Laroche

Discontinued apparently, I bought this as a trial cheapy, costing £5 (around $8?) for 50ml(1.7 oz). I have worn it for the last 3 days, and received compliments from women on each of those days - enough said? maybe not. I do like woody fragrances, and this one scores in spades for me, as does the longevity.I have Givenchy Xeryus in my collection, and this is similar, and maybe was designed to be so, as Xeryus was possibly designed to capture some of the YSL Kouros wearers? Anyway, for me this is ASTONISHING value at the price paid, and I bought lots of it while it was available at this price. I will wear it with confidence.

23 May, 2011

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

Superb alternative to Le Male. I purchased on the basis of the positive reviews here, and am more than pleased with the outcome.The drydown, which after all is the most important part of any fragrance, is excellent.Thanks guys!

28 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 February, 2011)

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Hmm..........I am not sure what to make of this. It seems that it is one of the (if not the) most popular male fragrances at this time, and I suppose I can see(or rather smell) why. Subtle it ain't. Perhaps (to some) overpowering. I guess it aspires to reflect the personality of JPG himself, 'cos he ain't subtle either! I do like it, and eventually I guess it will become as Kouros is: viz: everyone knows what you are wearing because it is unmistakable, so there is no mystery, and no one will ever ask you what your EDT is. It resembles Ghost Man(which I understand is now discontinued) but it is sweeter and perhaps less "cloying". Lasts forever..........

10th May, 2010

Solo Loewe Eau de Cologne Intense by Loewe

Incomprehensible as to why it has the same name as original Solo.(marketing? an attempt to secure the foothold that Solo undoubtedly has on seriously up-market male fragrance?). Anyway, same bottle, different coloured metal insert in glass and cap. Serious packaging!
    I was unimpressed at first, thinking perhaps it was an attempt at the mainstream: "how fresh-smelling can we make a male fragrance" brigade.(A stab at the "Cool Water" devotee perhaps?).
    Well, I actually do like this very much. I am an admirer of Loewe products, so perhaps I am a little swayed by brand loyalty. It is totally different to it's stablemate. The top notes suggest a lighter fragrance, which it undoubtedly is, but here lighter does not mean less effective or potent.Thus it is very, very long lasting, and was still easily detectable on a shirt I had worn a few days later.So longevity is there in spades(again!)
    The mid and basenotes are quite floral, but with a citrus edge that defines the masculinity of this fragrance.Probably another winner from Loewe, for me anyway.
    Reassuringly expensive?(where have I heard that before?)

26 October, 2009

Solo Loewe by Loewe

This is class! The packaging/bottle are of the highest quality, and the product contained within lives up to expectations generated by them. Floral, yes, but in a very "masculine " way. Peppery, yes, but not overpoweringly so. The other ingredients are very well balanced and longevity is expected (at the price) and is delivered in spades.I see no reason why this should not become a classic. Probably unknown to many, but do give it a try. You will not be disappointed(IMHO).

19 December, 2008

Ghost Man by Ghost

This was a blind buy, and I have to say that I am impressed. The top note resembled XS Black(Paco Rabanne),with which I am definitely not enthusiastic. However, the mid- notes resemble Kouros, the YSL evergreen(pardon the pun). The base notes are sweeter than Kouros(on which this just has to be inspired by - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery)and just as long lasting. I am more than happy with my purchase, and would recommend without qualification. Great packaging too!

02 November, 2008

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

The way it used to be. If you wanted a film for photos of your daughter's wedding you would choose Kodak. Similarly if you wanted an edt for guaranteed freshness(relative term) throughout the day/evening you might choose Kouros.Now superceded by " modern" fragrances, it will always be regarded IMHO as the one to make an impact. This however, could be , as well as it's greatest strength, also it's weakness. Everyone knows what you are wearing, it is unmistakeable, perhaps unique.No one will ask you what you are wearing; they will know. Classic is overused sometimes , but not here. Enduring it is, as with few others.

26 October, 2008