Reviews by albainakl

Cuir de Nacre by Ann Gerard

I got a sample from Lucky scent when I purchased Knize ten. I didn't pay much attention as it was my honeymoon period with Knize ten. But after emptying sample of Cuir Nacre, I found myself wanting more and missing it gone. It quickly went up to my list of things I want next.
It smells like very expensive leather that provokes image of someone very privileged. This perfume makes you look expensive, elegant and poised.

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire

It is a quality leather scent, not a butch. It smells elegant with not too much flower and it stays true to leather. So much of that, it seems to me that it sort of lacks other quality that makes it distinguished from other leather perfume. Overall, there really shouldn't be anything to complain about quality. It is well- put- together kind of leather fragrance without special characteristics.

Cuir de Russie Parfum by Chanel

It fulfills my leather fantasy being my ideal leather. Only problem is that it doesn't last long -3hrs on skin and its projection is quite average. Of course, I do enjoy it but I expected a bit more considering the price I paid for.

Cuir de russie is truly beautiful master piece with a striking balance of femininity of soft leather and handsome authority.

Jeux de Peau by Serge Lutens

I only sampled five of Serge Luten perfumes; they seem all very personal scents. They seem almost for your olfactory pleasure only. I guess you will be disappointed if you want to announce your presence since they seem very low scale in sillage. Jeux de peau smells like buttered pastry. The scent on blotter just stayed on and on after three days. In the end, butteriness wasn't there anymore but changed into something ambery.
When my 10yo daughter and I went to Mecca cosmetica in New Market to sample Serge Luten perfumes they had, this one was my daughter's favourite. She had a blotter in her p.j pocket for three days and would sniff before going to bed.
I sometimes wonder, if children can have acquired taste on things like green veggies when they get fed healthy and balanced diets of veggies/fruit/lean meat from early age, they surely must be able to be trained to pick quality scent if they were given really nice fragrance to use such as Serge Luten. Well, if we can afford, I mean. :)

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

It is lovely scent pressing all the right buttons on my fragrance criteria; it didn't last too long so I had to spray too often. I read some review saying it was long-lasting with enormous sillage which didn't happen to me.
I finished a bottle but I didn't repurchase for that reason alone. I kept buying a bottle after a bottle of my other Lolita Lempick (original, for ladies') since it had a strong character of licorice gourmand with tenacity to last a day and more. This one smells fantastic with all the notes I enjoy but it didn't deliver longevity/projection part.

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain

With this one, I did 180 after I thought I finally found a wearable/current Shalima. How wrong I was..even though I tested twice before I bought a bottle.
It starts to smell fruity and fizzy with Shalima undertone. It is never dark or mysterious like Shalima. Its smell reminds me of lemon meringue. It has this fruity sweet gourmand going on which eventually became very off-putting for me. I think I am voracious in terms of scents spectrum, enjoying happily from Aramis to Pink sugar. Less and less often, I get to use Shalima initial. Every time I spray, I found myself not enjoying it, more like enduring its presence.

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

It starts with delicious fruit smell, sour and sweet at the same time which reminds me of pineapple/kiwifruit. Longevity and projection is average. Scent itself doesn't morph too much after spray. It stays pleasant and it seems to mingle with skin's natural sourness. It is very easy to use and very approachable. It is almost surprising that it was marketed as men's perfume. Exactly same juice in feminine bottle can be sold as ladies' perfume as well.

I chose this for my husband who used Aramis for a year. Aramis is very assertive and strong perfume so that I wanted him to try light and playful one. He enjoyed it for about two months, and then he got tired of it. From Aramis to Black XS might prove to be too much of leap in terms of the complexity and depth. Now it is in my 14yo son's hand.

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

It is very safe, fresh-fruity, crowd- pleasing, office-friendly and generic scent. It is not expensive, and it lasts all day and its projection marks huge and you guarantee to leave tail when you walk past.and It is not headache inducing.
It is shame that I personally find nothing interesting in its scent but if I want to look like rest of the world under the radar, I use this.When I am too busy to choose scent of the day plus I don't want to think anything, I don't want to feel/express anything but I just want to smell polite and pretty, I turn to this. Every perfume in your wardrobe has its purpose.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I would think of this as very personal kind of perfume. It sizzles on for a day but projection level is in the personal radius. You know it is there and you are surrounded by its cloud but it is very small cloud. People might not compliment/comment on it since they might not smell it on you. I experimented quite a bit with this one to know the level of sillage as I read too many reviews that said that this was a loud one. Musc ravaguer is true and wonderful oriental but its scent doesn't travel far. If you want to be noticed of your scent, you might be disappointed. Superb scent if you love and appreciate oriental like Shalima, but don't count on its sillage.

Bel Ami by Hermès

It is not a bad leather. It is very good but it smells old somehow. I own Chanel Cuir de russie and Knize ten, which are actually older creations than Bel amis, but those perfumes smell very present. I don't know which fragrance component makes me perceive Bel amis smelling old but that is how I feel of this one. I use Bel amis when I need to project quiet authority and look organized in formal setting.I used this in my recent job interview that was successful.

Shalimar Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

I quite like this. However if I have to speak my mind free from the pressure of knowing that it is sort of a perfume legend and all, I would rate this as one of the old perfumes. It's nice but could be better, or, it smells somewhat dated to my nose and I wouldn't want to wear this too often. My aunt used to wear this, this alone, -who owned only this.-25 years ago also didn't help me too much shake the perception of Shalima being OLD.

If I am over 55, I wouldn't want to use it since I am sure this scent will add more age. I think anybody who is still young can try this one without feeling too self-conscious. She will stand out smelling gorgeous and above all, special.
It is just my personal opinion, but I believe that scents can make the wearer seem aged/dated since the famous and old perfumes have popular smell of the era which everybody can associate with those period.It seems especially true those era are closely put together. Whenever I smell of Estee Lauder Beautiful, the wearer is almost always over 35. Really powdery one like Chanel No.5 or Soapy one like White linen is frequently worn by 50+ yo ladies. Anybody sticking to wearing Thierry Mugler's Angel can be seen 30+. The more broadly popular the scents were, the worse the effect, I reckon since mass of people recognize them. but, less known scents that were created a century ago, still can smell very fresh due to rarity.

Knize Ten by Knize

It is one of the top three leather scents for me; immensely formal, never dated/aged, with hint of authority, smelling attractive to both genders. I normally rotate my scents based on occasions and my daily mood. Knize ten can do very well at work place or job interview. It is not a casual scent. I normally wear it when I don't want to smell too feminine/sexy but still want to smell nice.