Reviews by Plato

Insurrection II Pure by Reyane

I found this while walking through a clothing store. I thought of the previous remarks made here and on Fragrantica and decided to try it. I could definitely see the similarities so went ahead and bought it, since the price was unreal. I like the airport-ashtray and red apple notes. I feel that the red apple is the difference between this and the Aventus pineapple. On drydown, the fresh dimension rounds it out neatly. Aventus has longevity and slightly more sophisticated drydown. However, for the price, this is unbeatable.
09th November, 2015 (last edited: 16th November, 2015)

Santa Fe for Men by Aladdin Fragrances

This was in my wardrobe when I was a young boy. I bought Allure Homme a few years ago, partly because it reminded me of this during the initial opening. Santa Fe, at least in 1992, had a zesty sugar element to it. That's the only way I can describe it, since my remembrance of it does not connect to the specific spices. I can see how it is somewhat reminiscent of cinnamon, though.
29th October, 2015

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

I tried a sample of this today at Saks. This just doesn't do it for me, but I can see how it would work with others' tastes. I find it to be too linear and sweet. It reminds me a little too much of suntan lotion, albeit a high quality one.
09th September, 2015

Blu Mediterraneo Arancia di Capri by Acqua di Parma

An uplifting citrus. For me, the petitgrain nimbly counterbalances the sweetness of the orange and caramel so that it does not become gourmand on my skin.
20th August, 2015

Insatiable by Pierre Cardin

First tried this in 1995 along with Gravity, Guess, and Halston. Not once before or since have I experienced such a fine aquatic herbal. This was a time in which the ingredients must have been different because I remember it, and other fragrances, being rather astringent. The top notes linger with the perfect balance of sweet and sharp herbals with a faint ozonic quality throughout. This cologne garnered so much positive attention and several compliments, but that wasn't the aim. I simply wanted to smell something nice and different and this fit the bill. It used to be a cheap, no name frag and was discontinued unfortunately. This fragrance, amidst all of the amber vanilla crowds, defined summer for me, transporting me to the beach. Wildly underrated, a hidden diamond.
26th May, 2015