Reviews by Missionista

Caligna by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It's nice in the summer, figgy, doesn't last long and does not project at all. I enjoyed using my sample, but would not purchase.
03rd August, 2017

Gardénia by Chanel

This review is for the edt concentration.

It's a fine perfume, just a little bland. It opens as a standard white floral, and stays very linear on me for the entire time I can smell it. However, it disappears FAST--like within an hour, it's gone. Nothing groundbreaking here (although perhaps it was when it was new). There are plenty of other tuberose/tropical flower scents out there.
29th July, 2017

Cédrat Enivrant by Atelier Cologne

Lovely lemony cologne with some woods. Perfect for summer. Nothing groundbreaking here, but since my bottle of Eau d'Hadrien has turned, I could easily see replacing it with 30 mL of this.
24th July, 2017

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

I really enjoyed this, and then my bottle turned! Instead of being a light, lovely, summery, lemon-woods scent, it became a giant pile of on-the-turn celery with only a hint of lemon buried somewhere deep within. Yuck!

There are many other things I've tried that will take its place though--L'Etrog, Cedrat Enivrant, etc. As nice as it is, it is not particularly unique.
17th July, 2017

Bottega Veneta by Bottega Veneta

I like this a lot, and it may yet go on my wishlist. On me it is a soft leather, perfect for fall or winter. It is safe to wear to the office, but not boring. I went to look for my decant a couple of days ago, and found that the last couple of millileters had evaporated. I was sad, but not heartbroken, which is why I'm questioning whether I need a full bottle of this. If I find it cheap, I'd quite likely pick it up.
17th July, 2017

Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company

Love this one! It is the perfect summer vetiver, and can be worn equally to the office or the beach. It vanishes pretty quickly unless you spray on hair or clothes. Stays close to the skin and is just perfect in the heat.
03rd July, 2017

Nuit de Tubéreuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Not bad--I used my sample and largely enjoyed it. Definitely do not need to go out and buy this though. It is, of course, very floral, and can get a bit overwhelming when applied generously. But on my skin there is nothing that really differentiates it from a whole host of other Big White Floral nice-for-summer-can-get-a-bit-too-much scents.
02nd July, 2017

Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne

I just drained my 30mL bottle, and the only thing keeping me from replenishing it is the 100mL bottle of Jardin Sur le Nil sitting on my shelf. These two serve similar purposes for me, and last similar amounts of time. I like Trefle Pur a lot--it is probably my favorite of the Atelier Colognes I've sampled. I think the citrus is lime oriented, and I like the amount of greenery in here. Great spring/summer scent.
11th June, 2017

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I really enjoyed this, finished my sample, and if I found a bottle cheap somewhere I might very well pick it up. Great spring scent, and reasonably on lasting, although it dries to a skin scent pretty fast.
26th May, 2017

Everything & Nothing No. 10 by Tokyo Milk

In one word, horrendous. It smells exactly the way Hawaiian Punch tasted at birthday parties when I was a child. This is overly sweet, overly chemical, and appropriate only for a child under 10.
21st May, 2017

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I was very dubious about iris fragrances, but was sent a sample. I tried it and loved it! It was so great I got another sample. I finished the first one, and put the second one away for a while. When I pulled the second one out again and tried it, I didn't love it as much. It smelled a bit too chemical and powdery on the second round. However, with a light hand, I used up at the second sample. It's quite a good fragrance for Spring. I probably won't go out of my way to get another sample, but if I happened across one, I'd probably use it.
09th May, 2017

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This goes pretty much straight to vetiver on me, and stays there. Doesn't stay for long though. Lovely scent, not sure I need a bottle.
16th January, 2017

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

I get floral for about 10 minutes, then animals for another 20, and then it's gone. Perhaps my sample was old (got it at a street fair) and therefore no longer very strong. This is nice, but doesn't last long enough for me to consider purchasing.
15th January, 2017

Bois d'Ascèse by Naomi Goodsir

Just a stunning incense, especially in cold weather. I finished up my sample today, and this is at the top of the wishlist.
13th January, 2017

Vetyver by Nicolaï

Lasts for approximately half an hour, and smells like almost nothing, certainly not like a vetiver fragrance. I was able to get it to last longer if I put it in my hair. Then I was able to smell it as somewhat floral, but also kind of chemical-y. It was not a good scent. Definitely would not purchase.
10th November, 2016

Coeur de Vétiver Sacré by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I really like this one in the Fall. The rest of the year I don't like it as much. There is a prominent fruity note in it--to me it smells like cherry pie--and fruity seems to work well in this season. I wouldn't go out of my way to track down bottle, but if I ever came across one, I'd probably pick it up.
22nd October, 2016

Santal Carmin by Atelier Cologne

This is a very sweet sandalwood--interesting idea, and I was happy to finish off most of my sample. However, I didn't love it enough to want to purchase it, and when a coworker noticed it and said she was looking for a similar thing, I was happy to let her have the rest of the sample to try it out. Very long lasting--over 12 hours, no problem, although my skin does tend to amplify woods.
21st October, 2016

Holy Thistle by Union

When I first started wearing this, I found it a bit too sweet and fruity. But then I tried it in late summer and early fall in the Northeastern U.S., and it really clicked. The sweetness was downplayed, the fruitiness came to the fore, and it was really nice for that time of year. I used up my 5mL very quickly. I would even consider re-purchasing, once I use up another few fruity things.
11th October, 2016

Batucada by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is pure calone on me, and it a total scrubber. I have 2mL, and hate it so much that I won't even be finishing the sample. Awful, awful, awful.
08th October, 2016

Washington Square by Bond No. 9

A nice scent, very woody. It was good enough that I was happy to finish the sample, it's not so good that I would get another sample or re-purchase. It lasted well--from application at 9AM, I could still smell it on skin at 10PM.
02nd October, 2016

Harrods for Her by Bond No. 9

I had a sample and tried it several times over several years. At first, I really liked it, found the floral component lovely. Then after several months either the sample changed, or my nose changed, and I found the perfume rather screechy. I didn't touch it for another year, and she been wearing it recently to use up the sample. No longer screechy, but now I find the top and middle notes completely generic, and only enjoy the vetiver in the base. Happy to have finished the sample, would not purchase a larger amount.
03rd September, 2016

Premier Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A generally nice scent, and the sandalwood drydown lasts a long time without becoming overwhelming (as sandalwood can on my skin). The initial burst of fig is lovely. However, you can get pretty much the same scent from Pacifica's Mediterranean Fig for a fraction of the cost.
16th August, 2016

Ipanema Posto Nove by Monsillage

Yuck. I don't know where all the lovely listed notes are in this perfume. On me it is calone, calone, and then some more calone. Hate it. Unfortunately, it lasts forever.
07th February, 2016

Go Ask Alice by En Voyage Perfumes

I don't like this one, although I recognize it is done well for what it is. The fruity notes in the top (listed as Strawberry and Raspberry) smell more like stewed plums to me. But not in a delicious way. More like in a prunes stewed in licorice juice used to keep someone "regular" way. Ugh. Then after those unpleasant notes fade, it turns into a patchouli bomb and just makes me sneeze.
20th September, 2015

Enchanted Forest by The Vagabond Prince

I loved this the first time I tried it, when it veered back and forth between blackcurrant and pine, both realistic, both wonderful, not what I had ever imagined working together, but somehow they did.

Then I wore it again today. It was much warmer outside today than when I first sampled. NONE of the pine came through, and it was all blackcurrant, and not nearly so exciting.

My recommendation is to try this in winter or fall, when it is sublime. In summer, don't bother.
20th June, 2015

Belara by Mary Kay

Despite the listed notes, I get a lot of lilac in the opening. I love lilac! After about a half hour, the lilac turns into a more generic floral scent, and then later a bit musky/dryer sheet-y. Overall not a bad scent, the lilac opening is lovely, and it's a cheap thrill.
16th June, 2015