Reviews by Missionista

Aedes de Venustas (new) by Aedes de Venustas

I wanted to love this one--all the notes sounded good. I can do tomato leaf, and rhubarb, and berries. But. On my skin this morphed almost immediately into a bitter grapefruit. And it wasn't a good sort of grapefruit either. The bitterness was overwhelming. Eventually it dried down into "marine" notes, which might have been slightly vetiver-y. This was hideous on me, an absolute scrubber. I will be passing my decant along to someone else.
02nd March, 2018

Oeillet Louis XV (new) by Oriza L. Legrand

I don't get much of the rose that others have mentioned, but I do get a very warm, spicy, clove-y scent. It's quite linear, and lasts for many hours, easily 12 or so. It's fantastic for warming you up in the cold months.
10th February, 2018

Jubilation 25 by Amouage

There are moments of distinct pluminess, and moments of an almost-too-much cumin. It varies wear-to-wear whether it will be perfect, mysterious, unlike anything else I won, or just a bit too strong for the office. I love it.
30th January, 2018

24, Faubourg Eau de Parfum by Hermès

What a gorgeous perfume! When I first tried it, I found it way too amber-y. But over time, I've gotten used to it, and now it just smells like flowers and pure class. This is an "old-money" perfume, and smells phenomenal.
11th December, 2017

Le Dix by Balenciaga

I had a 3mL sample that I picked up at a garage sale. I have no idea how old it was, or under what conditions it had been kept. I used the whole thing, and it was...OK, I guess. It was not the rapturous experience that many have had with it. I get some flowers, and some aldehydes, and a certain plumminess that I often get with these throw-in-everything-even-the-kitchen-sink perfumes. It could well be that my sample was no longer good, but I would not seek this out, and probably would not repurchase if a small bottle came my way again.
22nd November, 2017

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

I'm not sure what can be said that hasn't already. This thing is sweet, sweet, sweet, and lasts forever. It goes quite floral on clothes the second day. It can be "screechy" and a bit too much--heaven help you if you wear this in hot weather, it would be too overpowering. But in winter/spring/fall it can be fun. I happily finished my sample, and would use another sample if it came my way, but would not buy a full bottle.
18th November, 2017

Levantium by Penhaligon's

This is a really generic, woody, traditionally-marketed-to-men scent. I used up the sample, but would not even consider purchasing a decant or bottle. Very boring.
17th October, 2017

Flower's Barrow by Gorilla Perfume

I was given a partial full 9 mL bottle of this. I'm glad I didn't have to use up the full one! This was a difficult scent, cloying, and lasted FOREVER on the skin. I found t was occasionally just right, but those moments were few and far between. Smells intriguing and slightly spicy in the bottle, but does not translate well to (my) skin.
17th September, 2017

Mediterranean Fig by Pacifica

I've had an overall positive experience with this lovely fig perfume reminiscent of Philosykos, As previous commenters have noted, it is pretty linear: fig, then sandalwood. WYSISWYG. The fig disappears pretty quickly, maybe after an hour or so, but the sandalwood sticks around for a while.

Like Kewart above, I also had the roller ball version, and that's the rollerball that convinced me never to buy another one again. I hate the roller ball applicator. If I repurchase it would be after using my Philosykos completely, and I would only get it in a spray or splash bottle.

03rd September, 2017

Caligna by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It's nice in the summer, figgy, doesn't last long and does not project at all. I enjoyed using my sample, but would not purchase.
03rd August, 2017

Gardénia Parfum by Chanel

This review is for the edt concentration.

It's a fine perfume, just a little bland. It opens as a standard white floral, and stays very linear on me for the entire time I can smell it. However, it disappears FAST--like within an hour, it's gone. Nothing groundbreaking here (although perhaps it was when it was new). There are plenty of other tuberose/tropical flower scents out there.
29th July, 2017

Cédrat Enivrant by Atelier Cologne

Lovely lemony cologne with some woods. Perfect for summer. Nothing groundbreaking here, but since my bottle of Eau d'Hadrien has turned, I could easily see replacing it with 30 mL of this.
24th July, 2017

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

I really enjoyed this, and then my bottle turned! Instead of being a light, lovely, summery, lemon-woods scent, it became a giant pile of on-the-turn celery with only a hint of lemon buried somewhere deep within. Yuck!

There are many other things I've tried that will take its place though--L'Etrog, Cedrat Enivrant, etc. As nice as it is, it is not particularly unique.
17th July, 2017

Bottega Veneta by Bottega Veneta

I like this a lot, and it may yet go on my wishlist. On me it is a soft leather, perfect for fall or winter. It is safe to wear to the office, but not boring. I went to look for my decant a couple of days ago, and found that the last couple of millileters had evaporated. I was sad, but not heartbroken, which is why I'm questioning whether I need a full bottle of this. If I find it cheap, I'd quite likely pick it up.
17th July, 2017

Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company

Love this one! It is the perfect summer vetiver, and can be worn equally to the office or the beach. It vanishes pretty quickly unless you spray on hair or clothes. Stays close to the skin and is just perfect in the heat.
03rd July, 2017

Nuit de Tubéreuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Not bad--I used my sample and largely enjoyed it. Definitely do not need to go out and buy this though. It is, of course, very floral, and can get a bit overwhelming when applied generously. But on my skin there is nothing that really differentiates it from a whole host of other Big White Floral nice-for-summer-can-get-a-bit-too-much scents.
02nd July, 2017

Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne

I just drained my 30mL bottle, and the only thing keeping me from replenishing it is the 100mL bottle of Jardin Sur le Nil sitting on my shelf. These two serve similar purposes for me, and last similar amounts of time. I like Trefle Pur a lot--it is probably my favorite of the Atelier Colognes I've sampled. I think the citrus is lime oriented, and I like the amount of greenery in here. Great spring/summer scent.
11th June, 2017

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I really enjoyed this, finished my sample, and if I found a bottle cheap somewhere I might very well pick it up. Great spring scent, and reasonably on lasting, although it dries to a skin scent pretty fast.
26th May, 2017

Everything & Nothing No. 10 by Tokyo Milk

In one word, horrendous. It smells exactly the way Hawaiian Punch tasted at birthday parties when I was a child. This is overly sweet, overly chemical, and appropriate only for a child under 10.
21st May, 2017

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I was very dubious about iris fragrances, but was sent a sample. I tried it and loved it! It was so great I got another sample. I finished the first one, and put the second one away for a while. When I pulled the second one out again and tried it, I didn't love it as much. It smelled a bit too chemical and powdery on the second round. However, with a light hand, I used up at the second sample. It's quite a good fragrance for Spring. I probably won't go out of my way to get another sample, but if I happened across one, I'd probably use it.
09th May, 2017

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This goes pretty much straight to vetiver on me, and stays there. Doesn't stay for long though. Lovely scent, not sure I need a bottle.
16th January, 2017

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

I get floral for about 10 minutes, then animals for another 20, and then it's gone. Perhaps my sample was old (got it at a street fair) and therefore no longer very strong. This is nice, but doesn't last long enough for me to consider purchasing.
15th January, 2017

Bois d'Ascèse by Naomi Goodsir

Just a stunning incense, especially in cold weather. I finished up my sample today, and this is at the top of the wishlist.
13th January, 2017

Vetyver by Nicolaï

Lasts for approximately half an hour, and smells like almost nothing, certainly not like a vetiver fragrance. I was able to get it to last longer if I put it in my hair. Then I was able to smell it as somewhat floral, but also kind of chemical-y. It was not a good scent. Definitely would not purchase.
10th November, 2016

Coeur de Vétiver Sacré by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I really like this one in the Fall. The rest of the year I don't like it as much. There is a prominent fruity note in it--to me it smells like cherry pie--and fruity seems to work well in this season. I wouldn't go out of my way to track down bottle, but if I ever came across one, I'd probably pick it up.
22nd October, 2016

Santal Carmin by Atelier Cologne

This is a very sweet sandalwood--interesting idea, and I was happy to finish off most of my sample. However, I didn't love it enough to want to purchase it, and when a coworker noticed it and said she was looking for a similar thing, I was happy to let her have the rest of the sample to try it out. Very long lasting--over 12 hours, no problem, although my skin does tend to amplify woods.
21st October, 2016

Holy Thistle by Union

When I first started wearing this, I found it a bit too sweet and fruity. But then I tried it in late summer and early fall in the Northeastern U.S., and it really clicked. The sweetness was downplayed, the fruitiness came to the fore, and it was really nice for that time of year. I used up my 5mL very quickly. I would even consider re-purchasing, once I use up another few fruity things.
11th October, 2016

Batucada by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is pure calone on me, and it a total scrubber. I have 2mL, and hate it so much that I won't even be finishing the sample. Awful, awful, awful.
08th October, 2016

Washington Square by Bond No. 9

A nice scent, very woody. It was good enough that I was happy to finish the sample, it's not so good that I would get another sample or re-purchase. It lasted well--from application at 9AM, I could still smell it on skin at 10PM.
02nd October, 2016

Harrods for Her by Bond No. 9

I had a sample and tried it several times over several years. At first, I really liked it, found the floral component lovely. Then after several months either the sample changed, or my nose changed, and I found the perfume rather screechy. I didn't touch it for another year, and she been wearing it recently to use up the sample. No longer screechy, but now I find the top and middle notes completely generic, and only enjoy the vetiver in the base. Happy to have finished the sample, would not purchase a larger amount.
03rd September, 2016