Reviews by bluesiamcat

Lady Rose Lion (Monkey Unicorn) by 4160 Tuesdays

Sniffing the bottle of this promises a pretty and complex scent.

This is not for me though, as I feel wheezy when it is applied, and the scent on me manifests as a rather sickly peach, with rose making the sickliness worse!

A shame it doesn't suit me, and that the basil isn't a little more apparent to me, so that it could cut through the sweetness.

Longevity and sillage pretty good, and despite my personal reaction, I would recommend you try it all the same.
20th July, 2015

Shazam! by 4160 Tuesdays

Despite seeming as though it might be overpoweringly strong, this is a gorgeous scent, and not too strong for hot days.

On me, I get a voluptuous fruity, spicy, ambery start, leading to a spicy sweetness. Later, this becomes almost gourmand, as I get a lingering cocoa and sweetness, very close to vanilla.

Very pretty, and lasts extremely well.
19th July, 2015

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I tried this with high hopes, but was really disappointed.

The scent lingering on the bottle hinted at a tantalising dream, as did the described notes.

What I got on my skin however, was a really strong, rubbery white floral, with no relief provided by the coconut, bergamot or orange blossom. This scent made me think of death and embalming fluid, and whilst not vile enough to warrant scrubbing away, I found it thoroughly unpleasant. This is unusual for me, as it's usually scents that make me feel sick or give me a headache that I categorise as unpleasant.

This lasted on my skin for some time, and projected well, but really wasn't for me.
19th July, 2015

Tokyo Spring Blossom / Urura's Tokyo Cafe by 4160 Tuesdays

This is a very pretty scent-full of fruit, floral and lots of promise! This is fairly strong and lasts well too. Only problem for me is that something I can't yet identify brings me to the verge of a headache, which is a shame as this is otherwise enjoyable.

Plum Japonais by Tom Ford

I love this! The plum note that alternates between ripe and unripe, and the spiced incense notes just make such a gorgeous scent! Not much I can say that hasn't already been said, this scent lasts extremely well, providing enjoyable wafts throughout the day!

Now on my purchase list!

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

If you want a fresh, summer scent which doesn't disappear in minutes, this would be eminently suitable.

I love that fresh citrus start-with that hint of an almost medicinal herby note. The mint hidden here becomes much more strong, and the contrast of fruit/ herbal notes is especially enjoyable when you get alternating gusts of each note.

This lasts surprisingly well: 4-6 hours on me, and projects rather strongly without gassing people.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I really wanted to like this, and the various notes seemed to promise an enjoyable summer scent.

All I got was a bit of fruity/alcoholic freshness, followed by coconut... all of which disappeared after a bare hour. It didn't project much if at all on me either.

Much as I liked this scent, I would expected this sort of result from something nice and cheap- and would choose that rather than fork out megabucks for VIW. Shame really.
16th July, 2015

Fruits of The Tree of Knowledge / What Katie Did On Friday Night by 4160 Tuesdays

Tried this today, and was rather pleased!

It starts with that pretty combination of citrus/melon/cucumber freshness-not too strong, just nice. This pleasantly deepens to reveal that lush mysterious cherry, florals and raspberry- the wood and raspberry helping prevent the cherry from becoming too sultry/grubby, but sweet and deep instead. Even with the florals, this fragrance has rather a gourmande, edible quality.

Has the capacity to be quite powerful, yet suitable for summer. I think this would be especially good in autumn too.

It lasted for about 5-6 hours on my skin, and projects well.
11th July, 2015

Doe in the Snow by 4160 Tuesdays

I got this as a free extra sample with some other samples from this house. Thought it would be rude not to try it!

At first, there is that citrus blast, which starts strong and then mellows. I then got the combo of peach, rose and 'snow'. There is a freshness throughout, with the notes blending rather nicely, the fruit almost ripening with time, although sadly for me, I get what I believe is the 'snow' note providing a bit of a headache, I had suspected this might happen, which was one of the reasons I didn't buy the sample in the first place!

Although fresh, this perfume seems quite a strong one- I would not be inclined to over spray this. Scent lasts especially well on my skin- about 6-8 hours.
11th July, 2015

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

I really wanted to like this, what with all the hype and its 'cleverness'.

I duly tried a sample, and found that I was one of the 'lucky' people that could actually smell this. I got that generic synthetic sweetness-which of course claims to have something to do with cedar/wood in general. Not at all unpleasant, but I have a problem. You see, I know this smell... yep, that's right, this is exactly the same perfume that saturates Ann Summer's 'intimate' wipes.

So instead of enjoying this simple sweetness, I keep thinking 'cheap' and 'something to do with bedroom hygiene'. Not really the sort of thing I want to share with others. Definitely not the scent I want to define me.

If you do happen to like the smell though, you may be 'lucky' like me, and have it lingering for many many hours.
09th July, 2015

Flagrant Délice by Terry de Gunzburg

Tried this today, it was certainly worth it! A fresh,fruity start quickly softened by the almond, the fig detectable alongside. Nicely blended, with nothing discordant happening with the various notes.

The bergamot was not discernible to me, and the mandarin didn't stay for long. After a couple of hours, the almond and the fig were all that remained for me. The notes (the ones I could detect) work together in rather sophisticated way, with the almond providing a rather comforting feeling, without being too relaxed.

This did not linger on me for more than a few hours, sadly,and as far as I could tell, was not massively obvious to others. Good if you specifically want to wear for your own enjoyment, without gassing those around you.
09th July, 2015