Reviews by amaranto13

Rose Flash by Tauerville

This is the closest to a recommendation to buy blind I can think of, provided you like strong, jammy, multifaceted rose. Absolutely beautiful fragrance for the price. Lasts all day.
26th September, 2016

Patchouli Premier by Jehanne Rigaud

Patchouli Premier is a smooth, mainly patchouli scent with a hefty dose of vanilla and a sandalwood base. The patch smells real and high quality without being too earthy or unfit for formal occasions. It reminds me a little of the chocolatey patchouli in L'instant de Guerlain pour homme extreme but is more delectable and vanilla-ey. I believe it could be layered with LIDG to create an even better smell than the EDT or extreme version alone. It's a pretty tame scent as far as projection, though it's by no means weak and leaves a light trail in its wake. Overall, a very versatile, smooth patchouli fragrance.
21st September, 2016

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

A solid office-safe scent with citrus, musk and wood. It reminds me of a better version of Santal imperial and a much less interesting version of L'instant de Guerlain pour homme, though without the green notes. It's strange how Tom Ford's standard line of men's fragrances is much less daring and interesting than the women's line.
19th September, 2016

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Égoïste is an interesting fragrance. It is overall cozy and almost food-like at times, but that's just one aspect. There's that strange smell of a recently dry-cleaned wool suit as well, which is not necessarily pleasant but blends oddly well with the bready notes. I always appreciate fragrances that don't smell like a thousand others and keep me sniffing my wrist.
19th July, 2016

Blue Santal by Comme des Garçons

Blue Santal leaves an impression of cold resting on a bed of soapy, non-creamy sandalwoodiness and cedar. Juniper freshens the whole thing up. When I breathe it in, I feel like I'm in a snowy forest where the wind has died down and pure, woody, evergreen air surrounds me.
07th February, 2016 (last edited: 20th November, 2017)

Samsara Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

I have a European-release 1988 bottle of Samsara extrait. I purchased it because I remember liking Samsara many years ago when I smelled it in a department store and because I love sandalwood and wanted a heavy dose. However, granted this bottle of perfume may have changed a little with time, I don't detect a large dose of sandalwood here. That is to say that there is definitely a good dose here, but it is not highlighted or nearly as powerful as the floral notes. The notes that stand out are, first and foremost, jasmine, followed by ylang ylang and a peach. I'll admit I was a little miffed by the lack of sandalwood presence, but I've fallen in love with the florals, especially the jasmine, though the ylang gives it a nice creamy backing. I can see some similarity to Mitsouko with the way the peach is done.

The extrait has excellent staying power, at over nine hours on my skin. Projection is not very strong but is consistent and about arms-length. Overall, this scent is very floral and a bit serious and sensual. It may be too feminine for some men's taste, but it's very well-done and worth a try if you like the notes listed.
02nd February, 2016 (last edited: 19th July, 2016)

Chergui by Serge Lutens

Hay, hay, hay, iris, iris, honey, tobacco. I didn't it at first because it smelled too powdery--almost like a mature woman in a stuffy outfit. After the top notes die down a bit, the thick powdery sweetness is quite nice. It's great how this perfume doesn't smell conventional, and it may be off-putting to some people at first, but it grows on you. One of the few ambery scents I like. Excellent sillage and longevity.
09th December, 2015 (last edited: 13th September, 2016)

Sådanne by Slumberhouse

Everyone has a lot to say about this one—I mean incredibly-descriptive analyses of its allegedly psychotic syrupy notes. Has no one here smelled Victoria's Secret Strawberries and Champagne? There's nothing really original about this fragrance, which is fine because it smells great. However, its polarizing effect is completely lost on me, considering every American teenage girl in the late 90s probably owned the Victoria's Secret body spray or lotion at some point.
30th November, 2015 (last edited: 19th September, 2016)

Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons

Wonderwood opens with bergamot and a blast of spicy blended woods, bolstered by a soft, creamy cashmeran and sandalwood middle and base. The vetiver is quite pronounced and reminds me of the way vetiver is used in Sycomore, though I dare say I like this more synthetic fragrance better because it somehow seems fuller and cozier to my nose—more filled-out. The cushiony base reins in the cedarwood, cypress, and vetiver, which would otherwise be too sharp for my taste.

Longevity and sillage are better than average, and this scent reminds me a lot of fall. This is a good projector, too. If you like lots of wood with a smooth base, and don't mind the less-than-natural take on the ingredients listed, this one is for you.
24th November, 2015 (last edited: 06th January, 2016)

Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

After spraying, I mainly get a weak, powdery feel from this scent. I have to admit I was underwhelmed because I expected something more in line with the name of the fragrance. The only dark part of Noir is the patchouli that becomes more pronounced over 1-2 hours in. It's a pleasant patchouli, but not complex. This one has grown on me over the months, however. It's a good overall scent, but it's missing some oomph. I don't see the point in buying it when you can get Habit Rouge, which this is a clear copy of. Habit Rouge is more complex and satisfying.

11th November, 2015 (last edited: 13th September, 2016)

Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

I can understand why so many people like this fragrance. I fell in love with it at first sniff and wore it happily for about a year after that. It is a very strong scent, so I had to apply it judiciously when in close quarters because it projects really well and lasts several hours.

However, after a while, some note began to give me headaches, and the scent became so oppressive that I had to stop wearing it altogether. I've never had this happen with any other fragrance.

The petrichor-like mineral note is interesting, and the grapefruit and other citrus are nice as well. I don't smell anything rotten, abrasive, or strange here, as some people seem to detect.
11th November, 2015 (last edited: 06th January, 2016)

Casamorati 1888 Fiero by Xerjoff

Fiero opens with a thick, zesty, slightly-sweet lemony note that reminds me of Lemon Drops candy (though it doesn't smell cheap). The citrus lasts a lot longer than I usually get from other citrus fragrances.

After a bit, the lemony note backs off a little, and an herbal-woody center emerges that serves as a nice counterpoint to the initial sweetness.

Overall, a very pleasant fragrance with sufficient staying power that people who don't normally wear citrusy scents might enjoy.
11th November, 2015

Eau Mer by Pekji

This reminds me of being at the lake as a child. It has a brisk, sparkly-sweet top note that I assume is jasmine and is backed by a gasoline smell with anise that gives it a clean algae vibe. It's heavy if I'm not in a good mood, but it's conceptually very interesting and nice when I get a whiff on the wind.

I don't get the chlorine note specifically, and I don't get the hospital reference. That's a good thing, though. This fragrance has a lot of contrast you don't smell everywhere.
14th October, 2015

Aventus by Creed

I get mostly the top and base notes from Aventus. I do like it, though it's not a smell I would want to wear myself. I'm not sure why it's so hyped up. The pineapple is nice, but it doesn't smell natural. In fact, it reminds me of some of the laundry detergents sold here in Mexico, so it doesn't come off as expensive-smelling like several of the other Creed fragrances I really like.

Something in the base notes reminds me of Gucci Nobile, which I also don't like for myself but can appreciate. Maybe it's the way the oakmoss and musk are blended in these two fragrances.

So, in summary, smells good—not great—in theory, but not for me.
07th October, 2015

Salt Air by Demeter Fragrance Library

This simply doesn't smell like real salty air by the sea. It is rather synthetic. It has a pleasant clean marine smell and would make a great room scent, though.

None of the oceans I'm familiar with smells this sweet and rounded out. I don't get the rough texture of salt that makes the ocean the ocean.

That said, it's a relaxing fragrance that is reminiscent of the ocean, so I'll probably buy a bottle considering the low price.

28th September, 2015 (last edited: 06th October, 2015)

Bois du Portugal by Creed

This is a powerful scent compared to many other Creed fragrances. It opens with a well-blended combination of bergamot, lavender, and spice. As the hours pass, the bergamot eases off and the woody notes come to the forefront. The cedar is not sharp like in many fragrances, and it is blended well with the sandalwood. There is a sweet spot an hour or so in where the texture of the lavender together with the woody notes is so nice and not similar to a lot of other perfumes out there.

When trying this scent, the first things that occured to me were that it was a mature fragrance and was incredibly refined. I wouldn't call this an old-man fragrance at all, though.

Overall, the scent has a thick quality, like being wrapped in a cozy woolen blanket. I was sad when Gucci discontinued Envy, though I think this one could be a very-nice replacement. It doesn't smell the same, but it does something similar for me due to its texture. BdP projects well and has good longevity. Also, it reminds me a bit of Héritage, but it doesn't have an animalic note or all the vanilla. You can tell it was released in the 80s alongside other powerhouse fragrances, but it seems cleaner and goes on well after a fresh shave.
14th September, 2015 (last edited: 04th February, 2016)

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Great fragrance. To me, the cedar note is very pronounced and blended well with the ginger, which gives it a nice warmth. There's also an almost sweaty dry edge to the cedar that I associate with cumin, although there is certainly no cumin here, and it doesn't go so far as to actually smell sweaty. I do detect some vetiver blended well with the other woody notes, as well as a very mild sweetness that almost reminds me of maple syrup, but only after I spray this on my skin.

Gucci Pour Homme meets Ford's goal of manly and is a modern twist that stands out among other woody smells. It's not a heavy fragrance, and I get moderate sillage. It's too bad they discontinued this one because it is much better than anything on Gucci's current lineup. I'm glad I ordered a large bottle before it all but disappeared.
13th August, 2015 (last edited: 11th November, 2015)

Tam Dao Eau de Toilette by Diptyque

This is one of the only fragrances I've ever bought without having first tried. I did this because I'm always on a search for the holy grail of sandalwood, and Tam Dao has received a lot of positive reviews.

I do like this fragrance a lot, and the sandalwood note is certainly there, so it works for me. I have a couple of issues with it, though. First, it has incredibly low sillage after about five minutes. I only wear one to two sprays of perfume usually, and I can use around five of Tam Dao and still not detect the scent sometimes. I have the EDT, so I would recommend the EDP if you are worried about this. Second, while the sandalwood-cedar-cypress combination is pleasant and works well, both the cypress and cedar give the overall texture of the smell a certain edge that a person who loves the creamy, buttery quality of good sandalwood might not love. There is also a feel here that reminds me of the smell of a lit cigar and lingering smoke, but I mainly notice this when I get some on my clothes (where it has incredible longevity compared to skin). I don't detect the ambergris here at all.

That said, I definitely like Tam Dao and wear it regularly. It's one of the few I could fall asleep with and it not bother my nose at night. However, I can't call it the holy grail of sandalwood because the cypress and cedar notes have equal presence and modify the overall effect of the sandalwood due to the rough contrast they provide. If you like subtle, natural-smelling woody fragrances with a good dose of sandalwood, cedar, and cypress, you'll probably like this one.
13th August, 2015

Original Santal by Creed

While trying out Creed fragrances a few months back, I didn't find this one memorable; however, I ultimately decided to purchase it. I like cinnamon a lot, and that, juniper, and the vanilla-tonka combination are the notes that stand out the most here. The sandalwood note is discreet, and the fragrance seems to be more of an interpretation of the powdery, milky feel of sandalwood in the same way Royal Oud is an interpretation of the feel of oud without a heavy oud note. Original Santal projects quite well. If you don't like cinnamon, this one probably isn't for you.

It is very similar to Individuel, but it's more linear and smooth. There is a note in Individuel I find offputting, and it smells more synthetic than OS, so I like OS more, but I don't know if it's worth the price difference if you don't have the money to spend.
03rd August, 2015 (last edited: 02nd February, 2016)

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

There are no words to describe how much I love this fragrance. The reviews sum up its notes well. I would only add that I detect a salty texture to the blend between the heart and base notes a few hours in that roughens up the sandalwood. This scent smells much higher quality than a lot of niche fragrances and has outsanding sillage and longevity. Projection is pretty powerful, so I often only spray this on my wrists.
02nd August, 2015 (last edited: 06th January, 2016)

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

Tabarome is one of Creed's well-blended fragrances. As a result, sometimes it's a little difficult to pick apart the underlying ingredients. The notes that stand out most to me are tobacco, ginger, ambergris, and the opening citrus top notes. Together, this makes for a warm, slightly-sweet and animalic, as well as delicious scent. It also smells refined and best close up, though I swear something there reminds me of the texture of the smell of fresh gasoline—not sure what is, though, and it doesn't actually smell like gasoline. I'm surprised this one isn't more popular compared to some of the brand's other scents.
02nd August, 2015 (last edited: 04th August, 2015)

Eau de Mandarine Ambrée by Hermès

A very pleasant combination of mandarin orange, passionfruit, and amber, all of which complement one another well and make for a juicy, summertime scent with a nice warm drydown. Longevity is extremely poor for the price point.

Black by Bulgari

I wore this for several years and believe it went over well with many people who smelled it on me. It always smelled slightly more masculine to me, but a lot of girls I knew liked it a lot. It had a noticeable lapsang note that encapsulated the smoky, tarry quality Bvlgari wished to convey, accompanied by a vanilla smoothness that lingered for several hours.

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

This one is really meh. In theory, it should work because it has some nice notes, but it's not memorable. Smells perfectly pleasant and safe, though. I mainly get a woody sweetness that doesn't develop much, though it sticks around for around five hours.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

This is a cheap-smelling, linear scent. I'm surprised it has as many notes as listed given this. I remember many fellow middle-school students wore this when I was in the 7th and 8th grades back in the 90s. You could smell them coming a mile away.

Royal Oud by Creed

I enjoy the peppery aspect of this scent, and also that it smells clean. It smells dry and woody for sure, though not particularly like oud itself. It settles into what some have described as a powdery smell, but I would describe this as an incense-like smell, which is very nice and has me constantly sniffing my wrist. I really like this one and can't think of another that smells quite like it. It is refined and somewhat serious and would smell great on a man or a woman.