Reviews by Bavard

Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is an agreeable, powdery, fruity floral perfume. The opening reminds me of a clean baby, fresh from the bath with warm skin projecting baby bath products. As it develops, the powder fades, and it becomes a more mature floral with the listed notes of rose, iris, and violet seeming plausible.
22nd May, 2017

Joy by Jean Patou

The Patou fragrances I've tried, Pour Homme, Pour Homme Prive, Eau de Patou, 1000, and Joy, have been fantastic. Joy is a big floral with plenty of character. I think it comes from a combination of the flower concentrates and a dash of animalics. I'm sampling from a pre-2000 version, I believe.

Looking at the listed notes, peach, jasmine, tuberose, musk, and civet sound right to me.
21st May, 2017

The One for Men Eau de Parfum by Dolce & Gabbana

I find something in the formula of Dolce and Gabbana The One for Men, edt and edp, especially interesting, mostly in the top, but the bases are duds.

The edt may have more promise in the top, but more disappointment in the base. The edp seemed quieter in the top, but stayed interesting longer into the development. Overall, I think the edp improves on the edt. Something in the base of the edt seemed more objectionable.
20th May, 2017

Polo Blue Eau de Parfum by Ralph Lauren

To me, Polo Blue edt and now Polo Blue edp smell like what I think of as hedione, an interesting synthetic ingredient that can grow tiresome, and I was tired of it before I tested Polo Blue edp. It has come across of harsh and unpleasant, and difficult to wash off.
20th May, 2017

Alain Delon / AD by Alain Delon

Alain Delon has an impeccable opening with carnation, moss, woods, and geranium, and it smells like it's from 1980, around the time the best masculine fragrances were made, for my tastes. As it develops, some of the magic of the opening is lost, and the base is relatively plain. I think is the geranium note has good longevity, but the other notes fade.

For other, fantastic geranium fragrances, try Ebene de Balmain and Aramis Tuscany.
16th May, 2017 (last edited: 18th May, 2017)

Rose Omeyyade by Atelier Des Ors

This is a sweet perfume, but it has plenty of counterbalancing complexity to my nose to make it interesting and wearable. Some ingredient in this is nice. I get an image of traveling in Europe, waiting for a train in France. I'm guessing it has a synthetic wood I happen to like.
12th May, 2017

Rima XI by Carner Barcelona

There's not much to dislike in this. It's sweet and woody, round and warm, a better alternative to Frederic Malle Dries Van Noten, perhaps. It has a slight hint of a porridge smell, which I think is cashmeran, also known as blonde woods.
06th May, 2017

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

This is a lighter, citrus fragrance, but with nice supporting structure that has something such as cumin adding a lovely dose of character.
01st May, 2017

Revillon pour Homme by Révillon

Thumbs up for this 1977 release. It's rich and full bodied in the opening. It has a mossy green tinge, and smells like it was made from quality ingredients. It seems like an unobtrusive kind of smell, not a typical cologne smell to me. It almost smells like someone may have been working in the prep kitchen, with smells of food, soap, and leather. This is not a must-have for me, but I'm happy to have had a few wearings. This reminds me of Caron Yatagan, which I think I prefer.
25th April, 2017

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Vintage Dunhill for Men has developed differently during different wearings for me. It reminds me of Hermes Equipage with a touch of a soapy note somewhat similar to Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. During some wearings, the soapy, shaving-cream type notes burn off, and a base similar to Cuir de Russie comes out, which goes on to develop into a nice tonka skin scent.
17th April, 2017 (last edited: 05th May, 2017)

Acteur by Azzaro

A woody rose fragrance. I'm not a big fan of the woods used by Azzaro. The rose is fine. This is an interesting fragrance, but not quite for me.
17th April, 2017

Etienne Aigner by Etienne Aigner

Knowing Chanel Pour Monsiuer, this fragrance, Etienne Aigner, is what I imagine Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree should smell like. Chanel decided to do something a little different when they finally got around to making Pour Monsieur Concentree in 1989. For people who think it should have smelled more like Pour Monsieur, Etienne Aigner could be the solution. It's an oak moss bomb.
14th April, 2017

Trussardi Uomo (original) by Trussardi

The opening of Trussardi Uomo immediately reminds me of Van Cleef and Arpels pour Homme, but within minutes it joins the group I find similar smelling of Salvador Dali pour Homme, Montana Parfum d'Homme and/or Montana pour Homme, and Francesco Smalto pour Homme. From this group, I think I may only like the Smalto more than this one. The Trusssardi is a strong entry.
11th April, 2017

Davidoff by Davidoff

Davidoff by Davidoff is an outstanding men's fragrance, on par with the original Boss No. 1: an office fragrance with animalic intrigue. Fragrances for men from around this time are my favorite.
11th April, 2017

Palais Jamais by Etro

This is my second Etro sampling. I liked Etro Vetiver more than this one.

The opening of Palais Jamais has promise, and it's an interesting fragrance worth smelling, but it's not something I especially enjoy wearing. As it develops, it gets worse: more artificial smelling, less floral, more cloying.
10th April, 2017

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Similar to Burberrys for Men (1992), but no (or less) mint, and there's a wood note here that's not great, but that adds a contrast to the ambery sweetness and makes it interesting to sample.
01st April, 2017 (last edited: 19th April, 2017)

Rose Splendide by Annick Goutal

In the opening 15 minutes, I felt like I could pick out the individual notes of pear, vanilla and/or tonka, and musk; and then it blended into a harmonious accord similar to Burberry for Women from 1995, and held that accord from then on. I like this even more than Burberry, it's more rounded and less challenging after the first half hour. I think this would work well for women as a date-night scent.

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

Mid-1980s edt: This is a nice, wearable floral, perfectly unisex. It smells like it uses high-quality ingredients that are no longer available or no longer used, and that give it an effortless refinement.

Rose Absolue by Annick Goutal

All I can smell from this is rose. I came to check the notes, and the only notes listed are roses, and Darvant's review further supports my impression that natural-smelling rose is the effect of this perfume.

In my experience, I notice a correlation between perfumes smelling natural and not feeling especially strong, and that applies here. I feel like this wears close to the skin. Up close though, it is a beautiful, natural, soft rose smell.

21 Club by 21 Club

This smells like woods with oak moss to me, and a dash of herbs, a lovely fragrance. It's not a dark wood, more medium brightness. It may have an addictive quality: smelling it up close is providing rewarding inhales.
16th March, 2017

Ébène by Pierre Balmain

A bottle of this would be nice. It smells leathery in the opening. As it develops, I agree it smells like Aramis Tuscany, perhaps with a lighter touch of geranium.
12th March, 2017

Macassar by Rochas

This smells like a combination of woods and bright florals. The woods smell well done. For the florals, I'm not surprised to see geranium listed. Geranium seems to add interesting character to fragrances. I also feel like this fragrance may be using a light touch of animalic fixatives to give the fragrance depth and complexity.

The base of this reminds me of Chanel Egoiste.
07th March, 2017

Gatsby by Pacoma

This is an intriguing fragrance, with a deep, rich, vintage smell; similar, to my nose, to Escada pour Homme.
05th March, 2017

Or Black by Pascal Morabito

I've worn this four times now, from what I believe was a vintage sample. I've been getting consistently fair results, except during the third wearing when it bloomed and became especially nice. This reminds me a little of Frederic Malle Dan Tes Bras.
04th March, 2017

Kouros Eau de Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

This is an exciting fragrance, but I can imagine it's not for everyone. It's a distinctive animalic. It smells a little cleaner than original Kouros, but mostly does smell like the original; unlike Kouros Fraicheur, which to me smells quite different, and is more in line with my tastes. I could almost give this a neutral - it feels inappropriate for daily wear.
03rd March, 2017

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

I have had the good fortune to sample Chanel Cuir de Russie in vintage edt, modern edt, and modern parfum. Each smells of delicious, old-fashioned, feminine leather.

Today I am wearing vintage edt on the left arm and the modern parfum on the right.

I love the vintage edt for having the civet-type smell that I love. I cannot get enough, and this would always be my preference. This is a rough-ish leather that no one could possible confuse for pleather (imitation leather made from polyurethane).

The modern parfum is also a stunner. It smells freshly made, and gives me images of a perfectly crafted smooth surface with a flawless texture. This leather is so smooth and feels so well made, there's a suspicion it could be an innovative pleather, yet it holds up and wears like leather.

Cepes and Tuberose by Aftelier

This is a nice savory perfume, and surprisingly wearable for one that features mushrooms. The mushrooms are nicely balanced by tuberose.

Tango by Aftelier

This starts with an impressive and agreeable animalic smell, which I wish lasted longer. It transitions into something that smells edible, tasty, and a little sweet.

Fig by Aftelier

This is one of the nicer head-shop-style incense fragrances I've tried.
24th February, 2017

Bergamoss Solid Perfume by Aftelier

The Bergamoss solid perfume smells as much like citronella to me as bergamot or oak moss. I like the consistency of the paste, but I didn't get very good longevity from it.
24th February, 2017