Reviews by Bavard

Jersey Eau de Parfum by Chanel

The edp version of Jersey is very similar to the discontinued edt, but I like it slightly more. It's a touch softer and rounder. The edt was so sharp, I felt like it's the kind of thing that could bring on a headache, and I don't get that feeling with the edp. At the same time, it's not that different, and I don't think it's lost any of the allure.

I still smell it as an iris-dominant (orris root) fragrance. It's sweeter than the edt, but just barely.

It's a great fragrance. With some minor changes, I think Chanel has improved it from the edt version.
20th October, 2018

Jersey Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This smells iris (orris root)-dominant to me, so it's curious not to see it listed as a note. It has a big character, almost too much, perhaps, and might be somewhat of an acquired taste.

I think it could be an addictive smell that would grow on people.

I'm on the fence about how much I like it. It's boldness is both the opportunity to be something great - attractive and memorable - and the risk of being too much - too sharp, crossing over into harshness, being a headache inducer.

No. 18 Eau de Parfum by Chanel

The sample of No. 18 edt I have does not smell like Egoiste to me, but this edp version does.

No. 18 edp smells like a big improvement on No. 18 edt. It smells like an Egoiste flanker, although it's fairly light - maybe "Egoiste Summer."

This is another edp, as with Bel Respiro, that doesn't last as long as the edt did. It's not a big difference, but the edt of No. 18 holds on a little longer as a skin scent.

No. 18 Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This is a confusing release from Chanel, to my nose. There's just not much to it. It smells like it's dominated by a single aroma chemical, like something a startup perfume company might release.

From the opening, it smells like the lingering base of a rose fragrance, a more synthetic than natural smell.

Bel Respiro Eau de Parfum by Chanel

This is a major reformulation from the edt, and not for the better. It might have a more naturally sweet smell to some of the floral notes, but the character of the fragrance has gone from alluring suede to more of a shampoo and shower gel smell.

Bel Respiro edt smelled like a fragrance for adults, a woman or an especially interesting man. The edp smells like a fragrance for girls, completely appropriate for pre-teens, like something from a shampoo and body wash shop in the mall. Among fragrances of that style, I think this one is nice and well done.

As it develops into the mid, it starts to smell more like Bel Respiro edt, while still retaining the youthful bath product vibe.

About being a supposedly stronger concentration as an edp compared to the edt: it does feel strong in the opening, but I get better longevity from the discontinued edt, which sticks around longer as a skin scent.

Overall, I'm giving this a thumbs up, but it's a step backwards compared to the edt, and it begs the question, "Why?"

Why has a company with Chanel's resources changed a fragrance from their exclusive line for the worse, while raising the price?
18th October, 2018 (last edited: 19th October, 2018)

Bel Respiro Eau de Toilette by Chanel

I agree with the reviewers below who mentioned a likeness to Chanel No. 19, and I agree with the suede texture Darvant describes. I also agree that this smells like Chanel's take on a perfume style released by a host of other houses, yet it does smell like a Chanel to me. Beige comes to mind as a relative of Bel Respiro.

I get a touch of powder, as someone mentioned below.

Do I agree that it smells like a green, aquatic floral? There's something to that description in the opening, but in less than half an hour, it's more like something like Beige. It's a beautiful, alluring fragrance. I think it leans feminine, but that could make it all the more interesting on the right man.
18th October, 2018

Miss Dior Originale Eau de Toilette (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

The woman I'm dating wears vintage Miss Dior edt and parfum, and it's wonderful. I'm wearing a couple dabs of the parfum at the moment. From her, it sometimes comes across as something in the vein of Chanel Pour Monsieur, sometimes it will smell a bit like Chanel No. 5, and often it will smell distinctly like Miss Dior with its rich, dark powdery note.
16th October, 2018

No. 5 Eau de Parfum by Chanel

I formerly had access to a bottle of No. 5 edp from around 2012. I picked it for my ex-wife as a present. I liked it more than the edt. It was richer, and had more of the aldehyde smell I associate with Chanel and classic perfumery. That bottle had a subtle nag champa incense / incense stick smell that I liked. It was subtle, and done just right. The perfume smelled great, but it was light. It didn't project for very long.

I now have access to a bottle purchased in 2018, made in Paris, purchased in Montreal. The incense smell is gone, or at least I cannot detect it. The aldehyde smell is still there and still lovely. It's a pretty perfume, but it's so subtle, it's hard to imagine it making such a big splash as it reportedly did for its first few decades of release.

I sprayed it in the air the other day to refresh the room, and it smelled all wrong. I've applied it skin just now, and it's much better. I still feel like it's not quite as good as it was in 2012. In addition to having the incense note, that version had more distinct florals. I felt like I was smelling jasmine. This newer version smells like aldehydes and powder, and it's nice, but I feel like they could give it more of a floral concentrate boost to make it worthy of its historical reputation.

It becomes sweet woods in the base. The listed note of bourbon vanilla sounds right.
16th October, 2018

Lanz by Slumberhouse

Almost a thumbs up for this one. I find it similar to Baque, a sweet oriental, but with an extra bug spray note. It smells so intentional, there's an indie hipness to it.

As it develops, the bug spray smell fades, and it's a nice, warm fragrance. It reminds me a little of the smell of a scented candle, although this smell would make an especially good scented candle.
26th September, 2018

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

This one doesn't suit me. I get an image of a sink of dishwater after the dishes have been washed, right before draining the sink. It's harsh and unwearable for me.
20th September, 2018

Bois de Santal by Creed

A complex, creamy sandalwood with aldehydes. It reminds me of Chanel Bois des Iles and Geo. F. Trumper Sandalwood Cologne, a couple others I like. It leans feminine to my nose.
20th September, 2018

Tribute by Avon

This has a conifer smell to me, which gives me an association with cardboard air fresheners. For the style, this one is pretty well done.
31st August, 2018

Allure Homme by Chanel

This is a nice, sweet, spicy, recognizable woods fragrance. It has moments of smelling borderline too synthetic, but it develops on skin in a nice way that's attractive and comfortable.
25th August, 2018

Coup de Foudre by Delrae

This is another rose fragrance. Not a woody rose like Bois de Paradis, but more of a straight floral with rose and peony. It's reminding me a little of Chloé or Chloé Fleur de Parfum. It's a soapy rose. It's beautiful and lovely, a really well done rose fragrance.
25th August, 2018

Bois de Paradis by Delrae

A beautiful woody rose with fruit, lovely and wearable. It has me thinking of a cleaned-up version of Aramis Calligraphy Rose.

There are lots of beautiful moments during the mid and into the early base before the rose and fruit fade away. The sweet, woody base that's left is less interesting, but not too bad, and it lasts a long time as a skin scent.
24th August, 2018 (last edited: 25th August, 2018)

Amoureuse by Delrae

The listed notes of tuberose and honey sound right to me. This is a strong, exciting fragrance. I don't like it quite as much as the first Delrae I tried, Bois de Paradis. "Cloying" would be overstating it, but this one is challenging in a way that's slightly less comfortable for me to wear. I can definitely imagine a woman pulling this off to good effect. It's loud and memorable, and would make an impression.

This has urinous and animalic aspects to it that make it interesting, and it has a long-lasting base.
24th August, 2018 (last edited: 25th August, 2018)

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Warner version - A strong cigarette tobacco opening. Beautiful and artistic. One of the all-time greats for cigarette smokers.

Cosmair version - Noticeably different in the top, more of a woody leather. Not as complex, but smoother and more wearable.

Luxury Products version - Smells like a failed reformulation, harsh.
21st August, 2018

Boss Sport by Hugo Boss

This has a bit of R de Capucci or Gucci Nobile in the opening, maybe Duc de Vervins L'Extreme, but not quite as polished or interesting, and then it transitions quickly from there. I have a mini of this that will likely last me forever.

Into the mid and base, it does become fairly nice. It settles into a nice accord, agreeable, perhaps on the modest side, but with a vintage / quality-ingredients smell.
20th August, 2018

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A marginal thumbs up for this. It's a nice perfume, and L'Artisan Parfumeur keeps me interested. I like trying their fragrances multiple times to see how they'll grow on me.

This strikes me as an understated perfume. On a day when a person is on the fence about whether to even wear perfume, this could be a good option.
06th August, 2018

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I feel conflicted about L'Artisan Parfumeur. I like, but don't love a bunch of their fragrances, such as this one, Dzing.

On the one hand, it does achieve a substantial leather smell, smooth and wearable. On the other hand, it doesn't really grab me.

I can imagine, though, loving it on someone else, and thinking they have great tastes for wearing it.
06th August, 2018

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

This is nice. I think I like Velvet Orchid even more. They're similar. They both have a nice, easy wearability.

They remind me a little of Piguet Visa and V. Intense, effortlessly smooth sweet florals.

Black Orchid strikes me as more tropical than Velvet Orchid.
03rd August, 2018

L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I'm feeling neutral about this fragrance, and I've started feeling neutral about the house base L'Artisan Parfumeur uses. I think I still like Safran Troublant, though, and maybe Drole de Rose.
03rd August, 2018

DKNY Delicious Night by Donna Karan

This has an easy-to-like broad appeal. It seems like an especially safe fragrance. It seems like a step up from any bath products I've encountered, but it still seems like something in that mass-market style. It's sweet and woody. I'm not detecting any of the harsh chemicals that can ruin a fragrance for me. It leans feminine for me, but I also think it could work for some men. This is the kind of thing I imagine working well for a girl in high school to wear as a daily fragrance.
02nd August, 2018

Velvet Orchid by Tom Ford

This has been my best experience with a Tom Ford fragrance. (I've given away decants of Oud Wood and Tuscan Leather).

Initially, I felt like this was on par with something like the Versace Bright Crystal line, but the development was better than I expected, and it became a sexy balance of sweet, creamy, and slightly floral - completely agreeable, somewhere in the ballpark of Coco Mademoiselle, which I also like, but even softer and rounder; lightly sweet. (I would give Coco Mademoiselle the advantage for having a more interesting opening).
01st August, 2018

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain

I could change my mind while wearing the rest of the sample and come back and make this a thumbs up, but I was disappointed during my first wearing of Shalimar Parfum Initial.

The fragrance I wore recently that it kept reminding me of is Dior Homme Sport 2008, not because the smell is similar, but because the plan for both is the same: to have a pleasant-enough, steady synthetic accord that develops only minimally.

Compared to Dior Homme Sport 2008, the opening / main feature synthetic accord wasn't as nice here, but there was slightly more development that redeemed it somewhat in the base.

This one smelled like a kind of pipe tobacco, perhaps. It smelled more masculine than feminine to me. Some other fragrances that might be somewhat in the same ballpark are D&G The One for Men, Spicebomb, L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme, and Mon Guerlain.
01st August, 2018

Grev by Slumberhouse

Grev has more of an unsweetened chai smell compared to the sweeter Sova. The clove note is nice, a soft clove.

Of the three Slumberhouse fragrances I've tried, this is my third favorite after Baque and Sova. I might have liked Baque a little more than Sova. Baque did become a little generic and/or one-dimensional in the base, whereas Sova kept up a more linear foodie smell into the base, but Baque smelled a little more ambitious in the opening and early development.

Grev doesn't have the warmth of those two, and it's less inviting in its coolness, but not altogether unapproachable.

The development isn't great. The opening holds some hopeful promise, but before a couple hours are up, it has lost its way and smells overly sharp and a little harsh.

30th July, 2018

Sova by Slumberhouse

Sova is a nice foodie fragrance. It has a nice warmth and richness, and it smells interesting. It has a sweet spiciness. In moments, it smells like a ginger snap cookie, but it also has interesting complexity, and smells like much more - a delicious stew, for example, sweet and savory. There's also a hint of leather.

A couple more thoughts on what this smells like: maybe a sweet chai, or maybe a dish of Indian food with a fairly sweet sauce, such as korma.
30th July, 2018

Insensé by Givenchy

This is nice. It almost smells too familiar. To me, it smells like an Abercrombie and Fitch (A&F) store. I believe it was a concentrated version of A&F Fierce that they used to scent their shops. I feel like Chanel's Platinum Egoiste and Bleu de Chanel also capture some of that A&F smell, but then I don't smell any overlap between Insense and the Chanels.

Aside from the memory of A&F, this strikes me as a floral frankincense. It has a unisex, or even metro-sexual feel.

It also reminds me of lotion, maybe sunscreen.

I'm giving this a thumbs up. I think it smells nice and I like it. I could wear it and enjoy it. But it doesn't rise to the level of something I would want to buy. For Givenchy, Gentleman and Monsieur de Givenchy are a couple I have in my collection, but this one and Xeryus are ones that I don't like quite as much.
20th July, 2018 (last edited: 31st July, 2018)

Ma Liberté by Jean Patou

I do think Ma Liberte smells similar to Patou Pour Homme Prive. They both strike me as unisex or even feminine-leaning. I'm finding them similar in the same way I find Egoiste similar to Egoiste Concentree, Dior Homme similar to Dior Homme Intense, and Antaeus similar to Antaeus Sport. I think I could usually tell them apart, but they're not so different that I necessarily have a strong preference.

Another fragrance I find similar to this is the first version of Parfum d'Habit (1988) by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, in the red bottle with argyle stripes.
20th July, 2018

Pasha by Cartier

I agree that this is somewhat similar to Tsar. Comparing side-by-side, I prefer Pasha. It's warmer and woodier. Tsar seems stronger/louder and sharper/screechier. YSL fragrances such as Jazz and/or Jazz Prestige also came to mind, but I don't have them handy to compare.

This is a marginal thumbs up. I'll give it more chances, and I like it, but it's not really grabbing me. Whereas with Santos I'm on the fence about whether I should be getting a bottle, with Pasha I'm on the fence between neutral and thumbs up.
19th July, 2018 (last edited: 31st July, 2018)