Reviews by Bavard

Legend by Montblanc

Similar to Chanel Platinum Egoiste, which I like.
06th August, 2019

Miss Balmain by Pierre Balmain

Leathery floral perfection (vintage parfum).
06th July, 2019

Genghis Khan by Marc de la Morandiere

I'm trying the vintage edt of this, and it's nice. It presents itself to me as a relation of Aramis Havana and Montana Parfum d'Homme. This version has a nice warmth to it.

With all these fragrances, and there are a few others I know I've sampled, but I can't remember which specifically, I like them, but I feel like I'm still developing a taste for them.

Through a more enthusiastic lens, I could smell this as a relation of Versace L'Homme, one of my favorites.
24th June, 2019

No. 5 by Chanel

At the moment, I'm seeing this entry for Chanel No. 5 plus entries for No. 5 edp and No. 5 edt. This entry, then, is seemingly for the parfum and the edc. They can smell a lot a like, depending on which versions you get, and I've also smelled an edp of No. 5 that was the same / similar to some parfum and edc versions.

There are interesting versions of No. 5 that vary from the main idea (skanky edc's, really strong, beautiful edt's, and a recent edp that smelled off), but most of the versions I've tried establish the same smell: powdery aldehydes and jasmine plus woods. It's a perfume on the lighter side, but beautiful in its subtlety.
09th June, 2019

Black Saffron by Byredo

This leather aroma chemical has been doing the rounds (see Tuscan Leather). It's not something I would want to wear.
09th June, 2019

Eleventh Hour by Byredo

This doesn't quite work for me. I like the packaging for this line, but the juice not as much. This has a little of the woods/patchouli/tea accord I get in some modern fragrances, which isn't a travesty, but it's a big step down from classic fragrances.
08th June, 2019

Jacomo de Jacomo Original by Jacomo

This is a nice vintage fragrance with a clove note. The fragrances released around this time, 1980, are some of the best, and this fits into that category.
15th May, 2019

Enigma pour Homme / Creation-E pour Homme by Roja Dove

I don't love the opening of this. It smells like an experimental leather accord. In the base, there are moments when the wood stays integrated with the smell, and I can smell what others like about it - it's a beautiful leather, and other moments when it smells like a clumsy mass market fragrance with offputting synthetic woody ambers.
02nd May, 2019

Chamade Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

An agreeable, easy to wear fragrance, relatively soft and muted, a fresh floral.
02nd May, 2019

Witness by Jacques Bogart

There's something generic in the DNA of this, from that time, that it's slightly off-putting in the opening, or even later smelled up close. From a distance, after some development, it's tasty. Very nice. Warm and sexy. Warm spicy. There's the high-pitched shower-gel note that is screechy up close, but ok from more than 18 inches away.
25th April, 2019

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

This was one of my favorites when I started collecting fragrances around 2014 or 2015. I still like it, but it can be an uneven ride.

The opening is great. As it transitions from the opening to the base, it can feel off to me. When the base is established, it smells good to me again.

During the opening, I think about replacing my 50-ml bottle with the 150-ml. Before the wearing is over, I decide not to replace it.
09th April, 2019

Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

This is a great fragrance, easy to wear, an agreeable floral soapy smell, inoffensive. I think of fragrances such as Monsieur de Givenchy, Dior Eau Sauvage, and Chanel No. 19 while wearing this, a good fragrance for a nice weather day doing something outside.
01st April, 2019

Joy by Christian Dior

Fantastic, modern perfume. A little like Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle, but maybe a little softer.
29th March, 2019

Verveine Narcisse by Creed

This smells like a simple detergent fragrance to me. The opening is agreeable, but light - inoffensive. The base becomes tiresome, although still fairly light.
29th March, 2019

Rose Perfection by Robert Piguet

I like rose fragrances and I like Piguet, so it was easy to like this one. It's in the style of V (formerly Visa) and V Intense from the same house: a sweet, slightly powdery floral.

My girlfriend did not like it. In nine months, this has been the only thing she has complained about. The rose note was off for her, and didn't smell like real rose. From wearing many rose fragrances over the last couple years, it smells just like a natural rose note to me (as I learned to know it from other perfumes).
01st March, 2019

Allure Homme Edition Blanche Eau de Parfum by Chanel

I log my wearings of this under Edition Blanche edt concentree. To me, it's the same fragrance. Any difference there may be has been too subtle for me to notice after half a dozen wearings, alternating days wearing each, and wearing them side by side.

It's a fun fragrance, with a real moment of magic in the early opening, which is the best moment of each wearing, but the development and base are also interesting, if on the synthetic and modern side.

The edt concentree and the edp perform the same one, which is not very well. It/they becomes/become a light, subtle skin scent within two or three hours.

It's a modern lemon and woods fragrance with some spicy/foody/peppery accord, and which also smells just slightly of the Allure Homme line.

Update: Doing some testing on paper over the last day, the discontinued edt concentree definitely lasted much longer than the edp. And the base of the edt concentree is nice, so for scenting paper at least, it has a big advantage for longevity.

The openings during this paper comparison were very similar. The edp smelled slightly (less than 5%) fresher and more vibrant.

With this one, and with Les Exclusifs, the change to edp seems to decrease the longevity, but there's a slightly more natural smell. I don't necessarily agree with the decision. I liked the fixative (or fixatives) that Chanel has left behind.
28th February, 2019 (last edited: 14th April, 2019)

Greenbriar by Caswell-Massey

This smells like a typical bar of soap, "Coast," or "Zest," etc.
22nd February, 2019

L'Homme by Roger & Gallet

This is pretty well done. It's not very exciting, but it's nice.
22nd February, 2019

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

A big thumbs up for this beauty, which I find similar to Paco Rabanne Pour Homme.
11th February, 2019

Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel

This is an underwhelming flanker. It doesn’t smell like a Chanel fragrance to me. It smells like something they outsourced. It smells like a mix of other synthetic-dominant perfumes on the shelves.

The opening is recognizably a Bleu de Chanel flanker, but depressingly disappointing; the kind of thing that could give someone a headache, or just a feeling of deflation that Chanel has sunk to this.

As it develops, though, it gets better, and goes a long way toward redemption. The opening is neutral leaning thumbs down, but the base is a more upbeat neutral.

The original edt had a promising opening, but disappointing development and base. It would be nice if they could bring some of the base notes from this parfum version into the edt.

The edt is the best of this series, to my nose. With the edp and now this parfum, I feel like the wheels have come off. They're not to my taste, at least.
10th February, 2019 (last edited: 11th February, 2019)

Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver by Hermès

This is a decent vetiver fragrance. It smells more like a vetiver fragrance than a Terre d’Hermes flanker.

I was happy to see geranium listed. That seems to match.
03rd February, 2019

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens

The Serge Lutens version of Coromandel. It nicely combines elements of Coromandel with the Serge Lutens house DNA.
27th December, 2018

Mitsouko Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

Beautiful, mossy fragrance, with a beautiful aldehyde note in the opening. Our bottle is a 1990s edt, I believe.
23rd December, 2018 (last edited: 09th February, 2019)

Paris-Deauville by Chanel

This is quite a bit better than Paris-Biarritz, which I gave a neutral, which was arguably generous. This is an interesting new feminine fragrance from Chanel. I could imagine buying this as a gift for the woman I'm dating.

On paper, a jasmine-rose-patchouli fragrance from Chanel is irresistible, and in practice it largely delivers.

I have no problem with the smell up close. The 4160 Tuesdays line does a lot with floral patchoulis, and this reminds me somewhat of those.
21st November, 2018

Paris-Biarritz by Chanel

This smells like Chanel is going into the territory of Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria line, which is disappointing. This does smell better than most of that line, but it's in the mix.

For the first few seconds, it smells like a promising Eau de Cologne. Within 10 minutes, though, white musk has taken over, and it smells generically mass market and forgettable.
21st November, 2018

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This is a borderline thumbs up. It can be very good in moments, such as the opening, or smelling it up close during the mid. Something about the way it develops, though, disappoints me. I'm conflicted because the good moments are so very good, but I'm giving it a neutral.

At its best, it's a beautiful take on a Cartier Declaration type fragrance. At its worst, it's flat and dull, and doesn't deliver on the promise of the opening.

10th November, 2018

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens

An impressive, if sweet, amber fragrance and one of my preferred Serge Lutens fragrances. It lasts a long time and smells nice, close and at a distance. It's a reference amber fragrance for me. It doesn't hit the very highest of heights for me, though, because it's a little over-simplistic at times during the wearing, when it smells a little too one-dimensionally sweet.
30th October, 2018

Bulgari Man Wood Essence by Bulgari

This isn't too bad. It has a cedar note that smells like it's from 2000 to 2010. Synthetic woods can be annoying, but it smells like they did the best they could with it.
29th October, 2018

31 rue Cambon Eau de Parfum by Chanel

The opening of the reformulated 31 Rue Cambon, the edp, is not quite the magical perfection of the discontinued edt. In some respects, though, as with a lot of the reformulated edp's, it feels like they've tried to add an extra dimension to the opening.

Several of the edp reformulations seem to be similar to the edt's after about 10 minutes, after the new openings have burned off.

It would be nice to have both version of 31 Rue Cambon available. I can imagine people preferring one or the other, or wanting to have both. I like both quite a bit.

I'll give it more testing, and update as necessary, but I think the reformulation of 31 Rue Cambon went better than the reformulation of 1932. It's truer to its original and seems more likely to be preferred to its original.

After 15 minutes of development, I don't know if I could tell the difference between 31 Rue Cambon edt and 31 Rue Cambon edp. Smelling them side by side, I do like the edt slightly more, but I fully endorse the new edp as a nice version of the fragrance.
22nd October, 2018

31 rue Cambon Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This one is great, especially the opening and early stages, for my tastes. I think the accord I like is bergamot with slightly powdery florals, and it smells wonderfully, distinctly Chanel-esque. I get a similar blast of goodness from the opening of Chanel 1932 edt.

As this develops, it feels more feminine than unisex, to me, in a way that makes it something I don't feel comfortable wearing out and about, but I love sampling it once in a while for the beautiful opening.
22nd October, 2018