Reviews by Bavard

Oud Essentiel by Guerlain

This reminds me of Songe d'un Bois d'Ete. Cedar and leather are the common notes I see listed. Both of these Guerlains remind me of cumin. This isn't my sort of thing, and wearing it feels like a lost day of enjoying perfume.

Frankincense becomes more prominent in the base, and it's nicer than the first several hours.
09th October, 2017 (last edited: 10th October, 2017)

Reflection Man by Amouage

It smells bitter in the opening, which could be the bitter orange leaves. The woody base doesn't smell very well done. It gets more powdery over time. I threw away the second half of the sample.
30th September, 2017

Memoir Woman by Amouage

This is a decent woody fragrance, but not too exciting.
29th September, 2017

Fate Woman by Amouage

This is a complex perfume, sweet, perhaps from the benzoin, with notes such as the listed frankincense, cinnamon, and chili pepper adding character. The frankincense is light - just barely peeking through. It has a powdery aspect, which could be a natural floral smell, and it has a warm, delicious leathery aspect.

I'm getting a sweet cola smell. I like this. It's nicely agreeable, and complex enough to be something I'm excited to wear.
28th September, 2017

Sycomore Eau de Parfum by Chanel

I'm neutral on Sycomore edp, and I was also neutral of the discontinued edt version. Both versions give me mixed signals: I like them from the perspective of a perfume enthusiast for being bold, unique, and even artistic, but from a utilitarian perspective, I'm not that excited to wear them.

I'm not that excited to sniff my wrist where I've sprayed this edp. It doesn't quite work for me.

27th September, 2017

Gabrielle by Chanel

I'm a big fan of the new Chanel, Gabrielle. I've worn it a bit, and I've also spent time with someone wearing it, and I have liked it both ways. It smells like a typical Chanel to me, and I like the house style. It initially reminded me of Cristalle edt, a crisp floral. It's fresh and playful. It smells like a picture perfect Brasserie in Paris, on a day with perfect weather, with people in good spirits, and perfume in the air.
26th September, 2017 (last edited: 27th September, 2017)

Beige Eau de Parfum by Chanel

I scored a sample of Beige edp and I'm trying it for the first time. I'm giving it a thumbs up, it's fine, but, from memory, it's not as good as the discontinued edt. I was a big fan of the edt, though, and this is a different perfume with its own merits. The listed notes sound right.

The listed notes are quite different from the edt, which were aldehydes, hawthorn, freesia, and frangipani.

After being surprisingly different from the edt in the opening, as the edp develops, it does seem to largely merge with the essence of what the edt had been.
26th September, 2017

Bahiana by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is not my genre. The woods in this do not work for me.

I cannot shake the association of the synthetic smell from the Guerlain Aqua Allegoria fragrances.
22nd September, 2017 (last edited: 01st October, 2017)

Sables by Annick Goutal

Sables is French for sands, and this does promote an association with a sand-like beige color. The listed note of everlasting flower (immortelle) is prominent. Other than that, it's savory sweet, nicely warm and agreeable - maybe with a hint of the listed tea note.
11th September, 2017

Stella Eau de Toilette by Stella McCartney

A nice, wearable, fun fragrance; fresh and modern, a fruity floral that smells in style and sufficiently complex to be interesting.
08th September, 2017

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

Green (herbal) notes, carnation, and oak moss, from the listed notes, seem to match what I think I'm smelling. This has some overlap with some of my favorites that were also released around 1980.

This one reminds me of a sharp, skin-drying soap, although the smell is sharper, higher-pitched, and stronger than a soap would be.

This develops quite a bit. During the mid, I often thought it smelled better up close than it smelled projecting. The base is woody, just slightly sweet, free of the soapy top, but still retaining the green, herbal notes.
29th August, 2017 (last edited: 30th August, 2017)

Infusion d'Iris Eau de Parfum Absolue by Prada

This is on par with some of my favorite iris fragrances such as Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist and Xerjoff Irisss, with a definite, pronounced iris; soft, wearable, and almost edible.
26th August, 2017

Oud by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

This uses the same saffron as L'Agent Provocateur, which can be fun. They're similar enough to be confusing during moments when the saffron is strongest, but the general feeling of the opening of L'Agent Provocateur is better for me, with its rose notes. I don't think there's much oud in this, but what there is doesn't work as well with the saffron.

The base is the scratchy synthetic ambery woods I dislike, and it will not wash off.
19th August, 2017

Aqua Universalis by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Not terrible, fine even, but on the boring side, fresh and summery. The listed note of musky woods sounds right, something to hang the citrus on, but uninspiring, maybe even slightly cloying.
18th August, 2017

Baccarat Rouge 540 by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I do not really enjoy wearing this one. There something interesting in the smell that keeps me from giving it a thumbs down. I imagine I might like the smell coming from someone else. On me, it's too much, and not pleasant. It's sort of a slightly-burnt caramel smell, with something such as the listed balsam fir note mixed in.
15th August, 2017

Grand Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

A basic, soft, warm, sweet fragrance; likable, wearable. I'm grateful they kept it simple. It could be worth paying a premium to have a fragrance not trying too hard. The listed notes sound right, mostly benzoin, a nice, simple clean one, typically sweet.

The contrast in my experience with this compared to my typical impressions of this house, niche in general, and ClaireV's experience are striking - I really liked this, as in enough to consider buying a bottle and wearing it often, a rarity for me for any non-vintage fragrance.

The rough synth edge Claire mentions affects me in most modern fragrances, yet I didn't get it from Grand Soir. I got a surprisingly light dose of synthetic woods, a playful splash of the stuff that was undetectable without really sniffing it out on skin, and that was overwhelmed by an unrelenting agreeableness and lightly sweet roundness in beige tones.
14th August, 2017 (last edited: 15th August, 2017)

Oud Assam by Rania J

Dreadful, punishing opening - for people unfamiliar with oud fragrances, I can imagine it being shocking, or even smelling like a gag perfume. It softens considerably as it develops, with the oud note partly burning off and partly blending in.
11th August, 2017

Collection Grands Crus : Assam of India by Berdoues

A citrus and tea fragrance. In concept, I like it. Nothing overpowering, punishing, or offensive, but it doesn't quite catch my imagination, it doesn't quite capture the smell of a cup of tea, to my nose, and it reminds me of foamy hand soap from a dispenser, although for a foamy hand soap, this would be an especially good-smelling one, so I'm in line with Epapsiou in almost giving this one a thumbs up.
10th August, 2017

Crimes of Passion: Maxed Out by 4160 Tuesdays

This smells related to Buddhawood Box, to my nose. I'm finding the same Tang powder and/or Pop Rocks candy note, this time mixed with a fruit syrup type smell and a savory aspect. I like it.

The name holds a clue: Maxed Out. This one is edgy, arguably pushing the limit of what perfume should smell like, but I think it's done well, much better for me than Cadavre Exquis, as an example of something else I think smells intentionally edgy.
10th August, 2017

Crimes of Passion: Goddess of Love & Perfume by 4160 Tuesdays

Having tried over 15 fragrances from this house, this is one of my favorites. I like how the raspberry smells in this one more than the previous ones I've tried, it feels a little better executed - easy to like, wearable, smooth and rounded.
08th August, 2017

Silk, Lace & Chocolate by 4160 Tuesdays

I would have put strawberry in the name, because it's a great strawberry fragrance. Between silk and lace, I would go with silk, landing us with "Strawberry Chocolate Silk," a wearable gourmand.
07th August, 2017

Centrepiece by 4160 Tuesdays

Lightly sweet, wearable, and complex. It opens with the smell of a sweet cinnamon roll, then the green tea comes into the smell and makes it a beautiful, interesting fragrance. It turns increasingly into an almond-oil smell as it develops.
06th August, 2017

The Great Randello by 4160 Tuesdays

This smells typically like a 4160 Tuesdays fragrance with dry raspberry, lavender, and vetiver. Ambergris is listed for some others from this house, but I might actually be detecting it in this one, a warm, salty note.
04th August, 2017

A Kiss By The Fireside by 4160 Tuesdays

This is a sweet, warm, almost smoky, intriguing fragrance with the listed note of clove seeming to match the smell, and the wood note seemingly the other main one. This is nice and agreeable. A tentative thumbs up - it feels slightly too sweet at moments, and overly familiar in the initial opening, but it's too complex and agreeable as it develops to be less than a thumbs up.
02nd August, 2017

Who Knew? by 4160 Tuesdays

I was happy to see the green tea note listed, to help me identify what I'm smelling. This perfume makes me think of the home furnishings and decoration shop Pier 1 Imports, with wicker chairs and potpourri, on a good day.

This is a natural smelling perfume, especially for something released as recently as 2013. It has dry, bitter, natural smells, that can almost be off-putting for a second, but immediately draw the nose back in, revealing a broader complexity where the bitterness is in harmony.
01st August, 2017

Doe in the Snow by 4160 Tuesdays

The opening reminds me of strongly-scented bath products, shampoos and shower gels, but I also get a texture from the woods (interesting to see oak listed), and even from the fruits, such as the listed peach note.

The best elements from the opening hold on, and it develops to become smoother, softer, rounder, and more delicious.
01st August, 2017

Crimes of Passion: Dirty Honey by 4160 Tuesdays

This could be a find for fans of beeswax and honey. It comes across as an effort at smelling natural, and not like typical perfume, perhaps even like a natural oils concoction sold at a farmers market or natural foods cooperative.

This has a base that goes on forever, and it gets better, or grows on me, over time.
31st July, 2017

Tokyo Spring Blossom / Urura's Tokyo Cafe by 4160 Tuesdays

Sarah's description of this one seems accurate to me. I like the raspberry note. This is a dry, natural-smelling, intellectual floral to my nose, unisex, and good for a business meeting.
31st July, 2017

The Buddhawood Box by 4160 Tuesdays

The opening is an interesting, unique wood fragrance, with a fruit candy smell similar to Tang powder and/or Pop Rocks candy. It's an interesting, perhaps memorable, fragrance, and could work for others, but didn't quite come together for me.
30th July, 2017

The Sexiest Scent on the Planet. Ever. (IMHO) by 4160 Tuesdays

I like this. Borrowing from others, it either smells like orange Starburst with a bunch of iso e super (seekritdude) or like lemonade and hot dogs (my daughter). I can see it both ways, although my daughter picked up the hot dog note in the opening and I couldn't find it until the base.

This smells synthetic, but soft and creamy. I'm usually put off by what I think of as synthetic woods and/or ambroxan, but somehow the same smells are working for me in this formula.
29th July, 2017