Reviews by Bavard

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

This is a nice fragrance. I've had moments when I could fully embrace and appreciate it. Other times, it makes me think of a car air freshener. But then again, maybe a cool car air freshener.

It falls a little short, for my tastes, for something I would want to wear often.

At the same time, it's too haunting and immersive for a neutral.
28th March, 2020

Cuir de Russie (new) by Godet

I opened this sample thinking it was 1920s juice. Instead, it smells way too modern for my tastes.

It took me a while to place it, but this is a smell-alike of L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme edt.
25th March, 2020

Cuir de Russie (original) by Godet

This is a capable fragrance in what I think of as the Russian Leather style based on Chanel Cuir de Russie and Christian Dior Jules (and maybe a couple others). I got to try some old juice in a sample pass on here, maybe even a 1920s sample - at least pre-1950, I think, and it was nice. Not mind-blowing or must have, and it smelled maybe past its prime, and not as sparkly as vintage samples of Chanel Cuir de Russie I've tried, but still so much fun to sample.
25th March, 2020

Or Masculin by Bourjois

Here are some fragrances I might think of that, to me, smell more like Bourjois Or Masculin than Bel Ami does: 1. Guerlain Chamade, 2. Givenchy III, 3. Diorling, 4. Chanel No. 19, 5. Hermes Amazone. I like those, and I like this.

Cartier Santos might be the closest masculine I can think of.
20th March, 2020

Legend Intense by Montblanc

I’m torn between neutral and thumbs down. It’s close to being too cloying for a neutral.
15th February, 2020

Explorer by Montblanc

This is a faithful Aventus clone, to my nose.
15th February, 2020

Dior Homme Eau de Toilette (2020 version) by Christian Dior

I’m not offended by this, and it does smell like a restrained use of the most grating modern ingredients, with a touch of Dior panache. But I’m not that into the style. Plus, I already have Bleu de Chanel and never use it, which is similar. YSL also had a version of this, L'Homme Libre.
13th February, 2020

Teatro Alla Scala by Krizia

I love the opening. There's what smells like a rose note to me. The direction of the development is all wrong for me, though. It turns me into a dryer sheet.
10th February, 2020

Amazone (original) by Hermès

An extremely tidy green rose fragrance. It makes me feel well dressed.
12th November, 2019

Chypre de Coty by Coty

A 1960s or 70s edp. Super amazing. Way more floral than I had imagined. Flawless beauty. Fuzzy, floral, woody, moss heaven.
03rd November, 2019

Aventus by Creed

I'm trying samples of Creed Aventus from 2013 (13T01) and 2016 (16C01).

The opening of the older version is nicer, and it does smell smokier, although not that smokey. The older version is easily more likable, easier to approach.

The 2016 version also has a lot of character. The opening is a reformulation fail, to my nose. I might have guessed this is a flanker, and not just a reformulation. After a bit of time, I can barely smell the older version, and the newer version smells ok, fairly interesting, to be fair. The woods are maybe more interesting in the newer version, more consistent, more present.

These are nice, modern-smelling fragrances, but I think I'd be just as happy wearing Boss No. 6.

The olfactory fatigue with the older Aventus is dramatic and real, in my case. Sometimes I can't even smell it up close where I sprayed it. That is not happening with the newer version.

About Zangad's review a couple down, I just read it and I can totally see what he's talking about. Aventus is right at the line of cloying. The best thing is the opening of the old version.
29th October, 2019 (last edited: 30th October, 2019)

Red Leather by PK Perfumes

A decent smoky, oily leather. A little like Amouage Tribute attar. It smells heavenly of a big used clothing shop.
16th October, 2019

Derby by Guerlain

I had a sample of vintage Derby from a Basenoter as far back as 2014. I wasn't ready for it at the time - I much preferred a simpler oak moss fragrance such as Sous le Vent or Chanel Pour Monsieur. The clove in the opening, in particular, did not smell like something I wanted to wear.

Over several years of revisiting Derby, I got into the base of the vintage and got a bottle about five years after initially sampling it.

More recently I got a generous sample of the current version of Derby from the fragrance shop in Montreal. I think it is quite a well done re-make. I would consider backing up the vintage with a bottle of modern. It smells more modern, especially side-by-side with vintage, but I like a little dash of modern sometimes. Not everything modern is bad. This feels like a well executed update. If I was keen on impressing other people, I might focus on the reformulated version - it has a dash of something interesting.
12th October, 2019

Tabac Blond by Caron

Modern edp, like the bottle pictured above.

This is an Old Spice killer. I know Old Spice well from youth, and there were spice versions of deodorant sticks from other brands.

This takes that scent profile, and makes it a sparkling fragrance. For someone who just wears Old Spice, but would like a special occasion fragrance, this is my vote.

This modern version (long ingredients list) still has a touch of oak moss, I think. It's nicely done. It's light, but it smells and feels like the real stuff. And it has an incensey sandalwood note - it's delivering on multiple fronts, but still more of a 4 stars out of 5 fragrance than a vintage masterwork.
02nd October, 2019

Chypre-Siam by Rogue Perfumery

This is a good one. Top marks. It's a Guerlain-esque chypre, to my nose. Super delicious, with a pear note, and woods. It smells dressy.
20th September, 2019

Legend by Montblanc

Similar to Chanel Platinum Egoiste, which I like.
06th August, 2019

Miss Balmain by Pierre Balmain

Leathery floral perfection (vintage parfum).
06th July, 2019

Genghis Khan by Marc de la Morandiere

I'm trying the vintage edt of this, and it's nice. It presents itself to me as a relation of Aramis Havana and Montana Parfum d'Homme. This version has a nice warmth to it.

With all these fragrances, and there are a few others I know I've sampled, but I can't remember which specifically, I like them, but I feel like I'm still developing a taste for them.

Through a more enthusiastic lens, I could smell this as a relation of Versace L'Homme, one of my favorites.
24th June, 2019

No. 5 by Chanel

At the moment, I'm seeing this entry for Chanel No. 5 plus entries for No. 5 edp and No. 5 edt. This entry, then, is seemingly for the parfum and the edc. They can smell a lot a like, depending on which versions you get, and I've also smelled an edp of No. 5 that was the same / similar to some parfum and edc versions.

There are interesting versions of No. 5 that vary from the main idea (skanky edc's, really strong, beautiful edt's, and a recent edp that smelled off), but most of the versions I've tried establish the same smell: powdery aldehydes and jasmine plus woods. It's a perfume on the lighter side, but beautiful in its subtlety.
09th June, 2019

Black Saffron by Byredo

This leather aroma chemical has been doing the rounds (see Tuscan Leather). It's not something I would want to wear.
09th June, 2019

Eleventh Hour by Byredo

This doesn't quite work for me. I like the packaging for this line, but the juice not as much. This has a little of the woods/patchouli/tea accord I get in some modern fragrances, which isn't a travesty, but it's a big step down from classic fragrances.
08th June, 2019

Jacomo de Jacomo Original by Jacomo

This is a nice vintage fragrance with a clove note. The fragrances released around this time, 1980, are some of the best, and this fits into that category.
15th May, 2019

Enigma pour Homme / Creation-E pour Homme by Roja Dove

I don't love the opening of this. It smells like an experimental leather accord. In the base, there are moments when the wood stays integrated with the smell, and I can smell what others like about it - it's a beautiful leather, and other moments when it smells like a clumsy mass market fragrance with offputting synthetic woody ambers.
02nd May, 2019

Chamade Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

An agreeable, easy to wear fragrance, relatively soft and muted, a fresh floral.
02nd May, 2019

Witness by Jacques Bogart

There's something generic in the DNA of this, from that time, that it's slightly off-putting in the opening, or even later smelled up close. From a distance, after some development, it's tasty. Very nice. Warm and sexy. Warm spicy. There's the high-pitched shower-gel note that is screechy up close, but ok from more than 18 inches away.
25th April, 2019

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

This was one of my favorites when I started collecting fragrances around 2014 or 2015. I still like it, but it can be an uneven ride.

The opening is great. As it transitions from the opening to the base, it can feel off to me. When the base is established, it smells good to me again.

During the opening, I think about replacing my 50-ml bottle with the 150-ml. Before the wearing is over, I decide not to replace it.
09th April, 2019

Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

This is a great fragrance, easy to wear, an agreeable floral soapy smell, inoffensive. I think of fragrances such as Monsieur de Givenchy, Dior Eau Sauvage, and Chanel No. 19 while wearing this, a good fragrance for a nice weather day doing something outside.
01st April, 2019

Joy by Christian Dior

Fantastic, modern perfume. A little like Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle, but maybe a little softer.
29th March, 2019

Verveine Narcisse by Creed

This smells like a simple detergent fragrance to me. The opening is agreeable, but light - inoffensive. The base becomes tiresome, although still fairly light.
29th March, 2019

Rose Perfection by Robert Piguet

I like rose fragrances and I like Piguet, so it was easy to like this one. It's in the style of V (formerly Visa) and V Intense from the same house: a sweet, slightly powdery floral.

My girlfriend did not like it. In nine months, this has been the only thing she has complained about. The rose note was off for her, and didn't smell like real rose. From wearing many rose fragrances over the last couple years, it smells just like a natural rose note to me (as I learned to know it from other perfumes).
01st March, 2019