Reviews by MrsDalloway

Paris-Deauville by Chanel

This is rather nice. You don't want to glue your nose to your wrist during the first 45 mins, or it smells like an Atelier Cologne, but the waft in the air is more interesting and subtle.
30th June, 2018

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums

Lovely amber, not sickly or overbearing, just smooth and gorgeous to wear. Quite durable too. Probably my favourite at the moment, with Ambre Narguilé and L'Eau d'Ambre close runners up.
24th May, 2018

Cuir de Russie Eau de Parfum by Chanel

I prefer this concentration to the EDT, I think: it's richer and smoother and the barnyard is less jarring. Or perhaps I'm just finally growing into it...
11th February, 2018 (last edited: 29th March, 2018)

Belles Rives by La Parfumerie Moderne

Beautiful iris: not face powdery or carroty but calm, clear and elegant. The notes are a bit misleading I think, or it's just so seamlessly blended: incense and osmanthus don't stick out or take over and iris is the star. It has some heft though; it's by no means slight or short-lived. Deserves more attention.
08th February, 2018 (last edited: 14th February, 2018)

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

An austere green tuberose, polished and exquisite, brainy and rather brusque. I don't find it carnal or sensual but for me that is leather...
18th December, 2017

Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Sharply pretty: nothing romantic or touching about it but tough, modern and likeable. It mellows a little in the far drydown. Nice to wear and a salutary shake-up after lots of vintage.
29th November, 2017

M by Puredistance

Nice enough but I get no leather and a cargo hold of cumin. It certainly projects. It's possible there's an alchemy happening on male skins but not mine, but I'd say go for something like Epice Marine at a better price. Antonia and Opardu are my favourites from this line.
08th May, 2017

Megara by Le Galion

Megara is a delicious rich floral. I find something in common with Caron Infini, but it's more animalic in the opening, and then lightens up with some fizzy aldehydes and a touch of fruit. I have the EDT but it's full and lush: definitely a bit of a growl but perfectly fit for company. I'd love them to bring this back in the new big spray bottles.
07th May, 2017

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Although it's woody, Bois Farine really needs to be worn in warm weather or on warm skin. It brings out the creamy nuttiness and the delicate flowers; in the cold it can smell a bit pencil-sharpenings. A great one for a long drive or for reading in a sunny bay window.
13th April, 2017 (last edited: 17th April, 2017)

Cologne à l'Italienne by Institut Tres Bien

This is very beautiful and lasts incredibly well without descending into a generic base like many of the Atelier colognes do. The citrus fades very slowly and it just becomes more delicately herbal. I recently wore it for a long drive and it was a perfect companion (Bois Farine is very good for this too).
13th April, 2017

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Egoïste is a deeply burgundy-red scent: stewed plums with a dusting of spice, a pane of medieval garnet stained glass, polished macassar ebony. Definitely one for a man or a woman. I prefer this to Bois des Iles, which is a lighter cola.
13th April, 2017

Milano Caffè by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

A delicious coffee and cocoa scent with a bit of spice, not really sweet but appetising. I love to wear it in the evening and find the opening rush quite addictive.
18th June, 2016

Eau Noble by Le Galion

Delicious lemony top which soon develops a grown up oakmoss bite. I own Le Galion Whip too. If I had to choose one I'd choose Whip (it has more going on) but I love them both.
03rd April, 2016 (last edited: 18th April, 2016)

Phoenicia by Heeley

Love this. More for a man than a woman I think - I've passed my samples to my husband and it's terrific on him. Boozy fruits, incense, smoke and cedar.
26th November, 2015

Cuir Pleine Fleur / Fine Leather by Heeley

This is one of my all time favourites, and a tremendously versatile scent. It starts off with a subtle leather, hay and flowers, never crude or sweet. It's natural enough to wear at home and sophisticated enough for a conservative office. The really clever trick is the soapy note which appears in the drydown; not detergent or dryer sheets but an expensive and beautiful leather soap. So the scent gets progressively fresher and cleaner on your arm as the office day wears on. Definitely worth a bottle.
05th October, 2015 (last edited: 13th April, 2017)