Reviews by DomizianoA

Talc Gourmand by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

For those who know me.. I am sure they can just imagine that this is pure heaven to me! I love heavily powdery scents! This is not only heavily powdery and rich in Heliotrope, but has a delightful gourmand infusion that brings you back to childhood, to custard and chocolate cakes, to that exquisite Italian pastry rich in sugar and vanilla, but never too sweet or tiring. This is a wonderful comforting scent, that makes you dreamy and in love. And it's something unique to collect, special, unique as only Italians can make.

So Pretty by Cartier

Loved it and still do! It's part of my collection!

Must de Cartier by Cartier

I always wear this so comfortably and getting so many compliments by ladies and gentlemen! I have actually (and throughout the years) convinced many fellow gents to wear this! They simply love it, and, its unique soft powdery exclusive dry down. A masterpiece for me. Timeless.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

One of my everlasting favorite since 1992. A gourmand that is a party animal and a comforting heaven of caramel, cocoa and patchuli.. A masterpiece, especially, when i think of it as such a mainstream fragrance!

No. 5 by Chanel

Marilyn Monroe always comes to mind.. I believe that should be enough to say about a timeless classic that is still a mainstream best seller and that has been talked about for just about a 100 years now. The epitome of sensual.

No. 19 Poudré by Chanel

I am a huge lover of Chanel #19 poudre'! I own both #19 and this one! I wear this one, i love to own the #19 as a collector! I am not sure why: they both are dry cyphre which makes them immediately suitable to both ladies & gents in my humble opinion. Poudre' has a truly more powdery warmth that comes to mind as sensual and less uptight, more casual and yet extremely elegant, because this scent for me is special also for a peculiar quality: it lets you make of it anything you may be capable of with your personality, without taking away, but always enhancing, with everlasting class.

Extatic Intense Gold by Pierre Balmain

Another class act from the house of Balmain! The composition is somewhat simple, then the result is refined quite complex, extremely powdery, thanks to the lovely use of Heliotrope notes. It's definitely a night and romantic fragrance,and, while not everyone may be able to pull this one off, it makes for a great addition to a choice of nights colognes.

Violet Blonde by Tom Ford

Sensual, powdery, never overwhelming, and yet pleasantly unique. Tom Ford cannot do mainstream very easy, and, in fact, the pure combination of lovely ingredients, even though the name suggests a more approachable version of the Black Orchid, manage to still make out of this almost 1940's - alike scent, a true little masterpiece of its own, complex, sexy, and sparkling all at the same time, without flaws.

L'Heure Bleue Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

A truly affecting "sensual" experience for me: i wear this one only when the mood strikes. I ignore that is supposedly a ladies' fragrance. I never believed in defining sexes in perfumes. The perfect perfume is merely individual and many have agreed that defining a fragrance by sex is just all linked to marketing issues and nothing else really! That being said, i never felt uncomfortable wearing this! At the contrary on me, it smells soft, powdery and slightly melancholic if anything! It's funny, how much potent of a vanilla it is, and yet i never think of it when i sniff it or wear it!! It's a little classic masterpiece that i'd recommend to all artists and people with character and moods. And, you must love heavily powdery notes, because this, along with Apres l'Ondes another extremely powdery one, is a cyphre as Guerlain can get, and, i believe that's saying something, right there.
30th September, 2015 (last edited: 02nd October, 2015)

Chypré Vanillé by Montale

Nothing as thrilling as i was hoping from its name: Chypre Vanille' : wow! Definitely my scent, i thought! And, it is a delight, but not enough so to become something you may wanna wear or sniff too often! I actually often forget to have it! Don't get me wrong, there's that wonderful talc perfumed of sweet,but dark vanilla, that's quite fabulous to me! However for some reason, it then fails to project for too long, or vanishes, if compared to other scents along the lines, i instead always and i mean always.. think of! But, it's good, and if you are just looking for a dark vanilla tone, that has a pleasant and extremely soft and powdery dry down, this might be definitely suiting you! I need an extra punch in order to be seduced. That's all!

Pink Extasy by Montale

Great fun but not my kind of fun! I own it because i collect, that's all! And i am a fan of so many other Montale's i could not be without something called Pink Extasy Eau de parfum! It is quite an experience, i will say that! But, again, it is not my path, for some reason, and, despite the many notes in it, i usually love so much!

Powder Flowers by Montale

It is an everlasting love of mine! Something i don't even need to wear! I just like to keep it for myself, for my linens, and to sniff the wonderful soft warmth it always projects so intensive and yet so powdery, it truly reminds you of your first years, of baby powder, but a fabulous baby powder,of mystic proportions! The flower's notes are mixed with an extreme knowledge and they are always so wonderfully right and never cloying, but just romantically mysterious! This is not a fragrance for me! It is more of a sensation, a mood, a poem!

LouLou Blue by Cacharel

Ah Lou Lou Blue by Cacharel is dreamy! A great memory and one of my very first vanilla true loves. Its scent is unforgettable. It is sadly discontinued, who knows why? But i always manage to buy older bottles and worship them and cherish them as the finest of wines! Powdery and vanilla. You figure: i am in heaven! It reminds me a little bit of another one i have always liked : Hypnotic Poison by Dior. But, this one was just one of a kind, and its reminiscence is always as sweet as it is deeply nostalgic for me!

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

A masterpiece! Reminds me of Talc Gourmand also a very good one, along the talc, heavily powdery and sweet ones, although there's something to Loukhoum that is so intoxicating to become slowly addicting! I swear! It's so delicate and delicious, everyone loves it when i wear it... They wanna eat me up and i cannot blame them! lol It is Keiko Mecheri's true masterpiece for me, and, definitely one of a kind. I did not see among the key notes listed here above, Heliotrope. But, i am sure there's gotta be Heliotrope in this one! It's probably a well kept secret, cause the effect is mesmerizing and very unique. I delight myself with heliotrope infusions or perfumes who have it as prominent, so i can recognize that intense cherry/ almond, soft but strongly powdery scent heliotrope, a very shabby looking flower, always delivers. It might look indeed common, but there's nothing common about Heliotrope and its amazing use in perfumery! A must have for all lovers and romantic's or dreamers, or simply looking for happiness. That's the sensation i get immediately: love!

Grand'Soirée by Keiko Mecheri

All the lovers of Loukhoum worshiping that sweet mysterious, intoxicating scent, will go crazy here, as well! It is for me, like a more noble, and slightly more flowery and a tiny bit less syrupy sugar version of the Mecheri's top seller. I love Loukhoum and i cannot go without a bottle at least: often not to wear, but just to sniff or for my linens,too! The same with this one! While i love many of the Mecheri's elaborate creations, i find this one not original, but extremely solid and quickly satisfying. There's virtually nothing you can dislike in this evening sophisticated, powdery/ flowery scent that hints to sweetness often and a bit tongue on cheek. Delightful.

Alessandro by Mazzolari

Sensational! One of my very signature! Mazzolari Alessandro for me and my taste is like pure heaven! The dry down is one of the most powdery and the opening is one of the softest, most sophisticated gourmand! I highly recommend this niche masterpiece! I love Mazzolari, but this one is by far the best one of them all! And, i own them all since they are always at least never less than compelling especially in sillage, lasting power and compositions with top natural ingridients. However, Mazzolari Alessandro is just so sexy, and provocative, yet romantic and soft, extremely clean, with that aroma of almonds in a base of pure top notch talc,that always goes way deeper thanks to the strong use of the key note of Heliotrope, truly persistent here, and with great success, for me. I just adore this one!

Teint de Neige by Lorenzo Villoresi

One of my very signature scents,i know, i know.. It's supposed to be a ladies perfume, but, as i have already 'preached" many times, i do not give a damn, i can pull it off, and i love it, and never thought that Gents/Ladies fragrances definitions were nothing more than marketing issues anyways!
That being said, yes it is the epitome of powdery, or (meant with no offense whatsoever) of talc and baby powder. So, what? I love and worship that note,i always have! And madly collect them! Who calls them "old" i am sorry, they are not a match with me. You cannot call old something like this. This is mundane, pagan and innovative, futuristic and yes also reminiscent of a lovely Art Deco's past. Would you hate that and call it old? Then you cannot appreciate the Arts, either! It doesn't speak very well of the person stating such or other derogatory terms to define powdery fragrances. It is just a matter of pure taste and of style and sophistication. You may be exquisite wearing Cool Water by Davidoff, i won't argue that, if that is what you think suits you! But, please, have some respect for decadence and decor, and lovely, rich Iris and Heliotrope which is one divine note, and yes, it can create an outburst of lovely powdery feelings! Baby powder as per se smells lovely clean, and, a bit bland. There must be some flower at least to convey tone to it! Here, the iris is potent, ylang ylang makes it a pagan sensation, and, at the end the Heliotrope's dry down confers a touch of divine. Over powering? No. Never. Red Rubies by Elizabeth Taylor or the original Fendi for women may be classified as overpowering, and , although likeable, i would say they indeed could be. But, Teint de Neige is far from the madding crowd! It makes me think of Julie Christie when she was in her 20's in a lovely exterior sublimated by the wonderful pastel notes so typical of her earlier movies, and so romantic and impossibly mysterious.
If it's not for you, that i can totally understand! But don't call it old or call it names just because you cannot understand it! I am sorry i am blunt and i speak my mind,no offense meant to anyone! This one i love, and, i wish there were more fragrances i love this much! And all the time! Mazzolari Alessandro is one of them, too, and so are Montale's Louve, Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum and Guerlain's L'Heure Bleu. These are my top ones, well, along with Chanel # 19 both regualar and poudree' even better, actually!

Iperborea by Lorenzo Villoresi

I love Lorenzo Villoresi, and Iperborea is my second favorite after his masterpiece, and my signature scent, Teint de Neige.
Iperborea is way more of a flowering experience than a powdery one for me. It is fresh, somewhat green however i always think to smell also the sweetness of Wisteria in it, but they never added that note, perhaps it is just the cyclamen combined with an extremely fresh cut lily of the valley. I saw a review that defined this as chemical, and, my God, i do not mean to open a thread, nor to disregard anyone's impression, but, quite honestly, i could not smell anything less chemical than this one. I would never even think chemical. That's unfair to me. This is a precious ode to the flowers and the dew of their most carnal petals, and, yet a tad sweet, too. With a dry down that's lingering toward a mystery set up by some powdery (and not soapy!) notes, and other lovely reminiscences of a wonderful, enchanted park in Southern Italy, maybe? Just great.