Reviews by Gentlewoman

Midnight Oud by Juliette Has a Gun

On me it opens very strongly with the rose, which fades down directly from the skin after only about five minutes but remains in the sillage. The strength and slight initial "rottenness" of the rose note reminds me a little of Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet.

After about 30 minutes it settles into something much quieter and more harmonious, oud and restrained patchouli. A little sweet with something I can't quite identify. It continues in the same way, getting woody as it finishes.

Good sillage, long-lasting (about five hours on my skin), and pleasant enough but I'm left feeling a little "so what?"
30th April, 2016

Burning Leaves by CB I Hate Perfume

This makes me want to put on a very old tweed jacket and wander out into the autumn woods at twilight.
Faithful to its description, it's a gentle scent, even when first applied, and has good longevity in a very subtle way, as if you've just strolled in from raking the bonfire. The note doesn't seem to change much in character over the hours, staying true to the first impression.
Like other reviewers, I wondered for a while whether I actually want to smell of burning leaves, but there's something about the way this scent works on my skin that is really beautiful and evocative.
Seriously considering buying a full-size bottle.

(This review is of the water-based version)
03rd October, 2015

Espresso Royale by Sebastiane

The coffee note hits you over the head violently for the first five minutes, and to my nose is not quite true.
The fade into rum and caramel is better, but very sweet and cloying. Disappointed, I was hoping for something more sophisticated.
01st October, 2015