Reviews by Bangkok Hound

Myths Man by Amouage

"Ashy" is the adjective most people will probably use to describe this fragrance. That's understandable as it is ashy from beginning to end. But it's not an unpleasant cigarette-type ashiness, but a comforting fireplace or campfire ashiness. To me, right along with the ashiness is a pleasant and (again) comforting powderiness. Myths Man is as powdery as it is ashy. It's a slightly floral powder that really contributes to the overall softness of this perfume. There isn't much development to my nose except for a slightly sweet resinous smell that presents itself after a few hours. It's this resinous sweetness that reminds me of Interlude Man. It's only a vague similarity however. I do think Myths is a cousin of Interlude, but a rather distant one. While it's long-lasting (easily ten hours for me), it's quite muted compared to Interlude. Myths is also more wearable and certainly more versatile.
19th September, 2016

Sunshine Man by Amouage

Sunshine Man is a classic meets modern type of fragrance. Spicy lavender gives it a barbershop vibe to me. But the real player here is immortelle. And the immortelle is strong, but it never really goes into gourmand territory like Dior's Eau Noire (to which Sunshine Man is often compared.) If you don't like immortelle, then you probably won't like Sunshine Man. There is some sweetness, but it's mostly in the base to my nose. Sunshine Man is one of Amouage's most versatile masculine scents. It fits well in the office as well as on a date. It would work in colder weather and in the heat. Note that it is a quite powerful fragrance. It can be overpowering (for yourself and probably for those around you) if you overspray. Two sprays on the chest (yes, only two) for me and I'm set for the day. And yes, I said "day," because it will last and project all day.

Sunshine Man is often attacked as being unlike other fragrances from the house. No, it doesn't have incense or oud notes. But think of Interlude, Dia, and Honour. Are these three Amouage offerings similar? Well, they all share a certain rich elegant presence and dare I say, opulence. Looking at it this way, Sunshine Man fits very well in Amouage's lineup and certainly a well-deserved place in my wardrobe.
27th July, 2016 (last edited: 24th August, 2017)

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

Chèvrefeuille Original is a watery green fragrance. I envision honeysuckle vines covered in a very heavy dew on a pleasant early summer morning. It's also very lightly floral and starts out slightly spicy as well. As it progresses, the floral note dissipates for me and the spiciness increases. While it's still very much a green scent, it becomes rather soapy. If the beautiful, light florals stuck around and if the soapiness was minimized, I could see Chèvrefeuille Original alongside modern Creeds. But slightly spicy green soap probably wouldn't sell well when compared to what's available from the house today. Having said that, I still find it a very pleasant scent. Surprisingly, I can still smell it more than ten hours after applying it to my chest. The projection is not heavy, but it does persistently project. So count me impressed. When I want a light, but long-lasting fresh, clean fragrance, this is a good one to reach for.
27th July, 2016 (last edited: 23rd August, 2016)

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Baie de Genièvre to me is soapy, spicy, and 100% masculine. I can't help but to compare it to Creed's other 100% masculine offering: Bois du Portugal. They aren't really similar, but they would probably appeal to the same audience. Where Bois du Portugal is for a very important man or for a very important occasion, Baie de Genièvre is a more casual, everyday, everyman fragrance. I can understand why it was discontinued as I doubt that it would at all appeal to a modern audience. But to call it dated is unfair. It still works today, but I guess it takes a special man (like me!) to pull it off. I get excellent performance. It projects all day for me. If you like 1970's style masculines, then this vaulted EDT deserves a place in your wardrobe.
26th July, 2016

Epicéa by Creed

Epicea is such a pleasant, relaxing, and calming pine scent. And that's primarily what it is to me: a pine fragrance. There is a little citrus and it's slightly spicy, but the major star is piney evergreen goodness. I don't pick up lavender, but it does explain the calming effect I get. It could easily be a signature scent for someone who just wants to smell nice, but not necessarily be noticed. Epicea is very different from Creed's modern millesimes, but is still recognizable as a Creed. It gives me light but persistent projection for 6-7 hours, then a bit more sporadic for the next 3-4. Not bad performance for a Creed EDT. Being a pine fragrance suggests it as a cold weather perfume. I can't speak to that, but it works well in a fairly cold air-conditioned office environment. It also works well in the heat, which is when the citrus is more noticeable. I'm very happy to have this now discontinued Creed EDT in my wardrobe.
26th July, 2016

Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma

This is how a man should smell after getting a haircut, a shave, and a nice, hot, soapy shower. It's the scent of a clean well-groomed man. It reminds me of my dad shaving when I was young. Perhaps that's why I think of it as being somewhat old-fashioned, but also for that reason, I find it very comforting. If I were to wear a fragrance to bed, it would be this. Performance for me is excellent. It lasts all day and has good projection. My only regret is I only bought a 50ml bottle.
10th January, 2016

Colonia Leather by Acqua di Parma

Imagine entering a windowless room. It is obviously one man's sanctuary from life. There is a worn leather chair, a well-used leather bag on an old wooden desk, and many old, yellowed books lining the walls. There's definitely an ashtray or two hidden away somewhere, but they are now in disuse. The occupier of this room sometimes uses citrus air freshener in an attempt to cover the ashy odor that has permeated everything in the room including the wooden walls themselves. It doesn't succeed, but it helps a little. I was transported to this room the first time I tried Acqua di Parma's Colonia Leather. This is not a new leather bag scent. It's old. And dirty. And yes, ashy (guaiac wood?). While there is some brightness from the citrus, it isn't enough to overcome the ashyness. As it dries down, there is a light sweetness and much of the ashy/stale smoke scent finally dissipates. While I find this ashtray vibe objectionable, I still like this fragrance as the masculine indulgence it is. I think it would be a good candidate for layering. Maybe with something on the sweeter side. Lasts all day for me. I personally wouldn't want it to project to the point where others could smell it (to be fair though, this is my attitude regarding fragrances in general.)
30th December, 2015