Reviews by speedracer

Albatross by House of Matriarch

Salty, harbor smell mixed with something that smells like varnish or the smell from a freshly waxed basketball court. Maybe that's the smell you get from being on a wooden boat out in the ocean.

Projection is below average.

22nd April, 2017

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Big patchouli opening that settles down into a musty cedar. Not the worst "old-man" smell I've tested but that's definitely the feel I get from Patchouli Patch.

Projection is average.
22nd April, 2017

Thirty-three by Ex Idolo

Dirty, brooding oud and a powerful, heavy rose. Reminds me of Montale Black Aoud, very similar.

Very powerful projection with minimal sprays.
21st April, 2017

Very Irrésistible for Men Fresh Attitude by Givenchy

I did not like the opening, to creamy and sweet, generic too. But then after a while, these woody/spicy notes showed up and made a nice contrast with the creamy sweetness. I really like this now, so be sure to stick around for the drydown for a full judgement.

Works well in warm weather and is pretty potent for a sweet/fresh type fragrance.
16th April, 2017

Sacred Wood by By Kilian

A sweet, smooth cedar/sandalwood mixture that is pleasant to smell all day.

Has a warmth to it so seems better suited for colder days. It's also big on projection and longevity, so too much heat might prove to bring out some cloying aspects. That said, I enjoyed it on an 80 degree day and it smelled great throughout.
15th April, 2017

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

Dark Blue is safe, nice and comforting. It's not exciting but I wouldn't call it generic either.

It gets better as you wear it, smooths out from the opening that feels a little messy.

Good projection and longevity on me, still going strong past 7 hours.
14th April, 2017

True Religion for Men by True Religion

Some nice things going on in True Religion but nothing that would make me say it's really great at anything, other than it just smells nice.

It has fresh, sweet and peppery all covered, but in a generic way. This is not a reference scent for any of those notes, but more of a crowd-pleaser.

The projection is really good, so you won't need many sprays to get noticed.
13th April, 2017

Viaggio d'Africa by Pal Zileri

It's unique and exotic. Reminds me of coffee and florals with some cocoa somewhere thrown in there.

Projection is average but it does last for awhile and the notes are sharp and distinctive, so that helps.
12th April, 2017

Pasha Edition Noire by Cartier

What strikes me most about this is based on the original, I was not expecting something so modern smelling. It's not super original but that doesn't mean it's not to be worn or enjoyed.

Really nice, pleasant smell for Pasha Edition Noire, shouldn't offend anyone. It's also very light on projection, so another reason no offense should be taken. It does last for at least 6 hours.

Very safe office or close quarters scent.

Has sweetness and a herbal/tea note to my nose.
11th April, 2017

Anonymous by Thallium by Yves de Sistelle

Very sweet and powdery. I wasn't repulsed by it but it can be cloying at times because of the heavy sweetness. My wife had a very favourable reaction to Anonymous just after spraying, so I guess it can't be all that bad.

This one projects all day long, so be careful how many sprays you apply.
10th April, 2017

Shooting Stars: Nio by Xerjoff

Excellent summer masculine fragrance. Fresh, clean, salty and has plenty of citrus zip to make this a true standout in your collection.

Excellent projection mixed with crowd pleasing notes makes this easy compliment-bait. Longevity is very good as well. A top performer and instant wish list candidate.
09th April, 2017

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens

Musky crotch smell and then it just turns into something like a floral musk.

Strong projection and longevity.
09th April, 2017

Fougère Royale by Houbigant

Wow, from 1882. Sure doesn't smell like anything old or dated. It's sweet, green and clean. Very nice to smell.

Not big on projection but it doesn't pull a disappearing act either. It's there, you can smell it.

I'm impressed.
07th April, 2017

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Easy to wear, crowd-pleasing vanilla scent with some spicy cardamom thrown in for fun. To me, it's better than TV and not too far from Spicebomb and Avant Garde.

Very good performance. Lasts all work day and projects nicely.
06th April, 2017

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

An intense, rose-dominant scent that has a metallic, harsh quality to it that must be the oud in the opening. Later on, it smooths out and isn't as harsh. Reminds me of a less dirty, more feminine Faquat Lil Rijal
by Rasasi.

This one is a heavy hitter right out of the gates and lasts all day, so go easy on the trigger.
05th April, 2017

Faquat Lil Rijal by Rasasi

Loud and dirty oud with some rose. Reminds me of Bonds New York Oud. Not a safe blind buy, must test.

This one projects and lasts all day and night, excellent performance.
05th April, 2017

Bulgari Man in Black by Bulgari

I like the drydown better than the opening as it becomes more like a drier, smoother version of Spicebomb. There's more character or depth in Spicebomb, more that grabs your attention, so I prefer that over MiB, but this is very nice nonetheless.

Sneaky projection because it doesn't feel like you're putting out much overall but I keep getting smells of it whether sitting or on the move.

Excellent longevity, lasts all day.
04th April, 2017 (last edited: 05th April, 2017)

Blue Amber by Montale

I don't think "Blue" is appropriate here since the amber coming off this scent is very warming and persistent. I'd go with "Dark Orange" since it has this slow, smouldering campfire fire feel via the incense. And then there's the powdery vanilla that shines and dominates when you get into the drydown. I think as long as you agree with amber-vanilla-incense notes, you should like this.

Also, as with every Montale I've tried, projection and longevity are best in class. Save this for colder days.
03rd April, 2017

Orca by House of Matriarch

Dark, salty, dry and also has that old-church incense that most HoM smells that I've sampled have. I do not get honey or anything sweet.

So if you are a fan of the others then this should be a "like" as well.

Not a big projector but does linger all day and is persistent enough that you will get wafts throughout the day to enjoy.

02nd April, 2017

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Doing a complete 360 degree turn on MI having loved it, then found it too cloying and now loving it again. The key is to not overspray. Can be very cloying with the florals, so 2 sprays are enough.

The ambergris (ambroxan) is amazing and why I love it so much. Projects well and lasts all day on me.
31st March, 2017

Black XS L'Excès for Him by Paco Rabanne

Sweet, fruity scent. Reminds me very much of Polo Red but with a much better drydown and way better performance.

Projects well and lasts all work day.
28th March, 2017

Queens by Bond No. 9

Doesn't smell bad but it leans feminine to me. Fizzy berries with a very light and airy feel. Has the "hairspray" smell.

Average projection but lasts all day.
27th March, 2017

Bang by Marc Jacobs

Decent pepper opening and then later dries to a very light, woody and tea smell.

I've heard Bang uses Iso E Super, so it didn't surprise me that the scent comes and goes, with sweet woody notes. It's never big on projection, always very light. Heat should help it project more.

I see this as a day time/office scent but seems versatile enough for most occasions.
20th March, 2017

Solo Loewe by Loewe

A bit of citrus, some sweetness and something kinda green. Not bad. Has a classic feel to it, not super-modern.

Projects nicely for the first 1-2 hours, then sits close to skin for 3-4 hours. After that, there's not much to smell.

Appropriate for casual or day wear.
20th March, 2017

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Not annoying to wear but not for me. I guess I just haven't had my nose adjusted for "high" perfumery. On the other hand, it is unique and I'm very happy I got to smell and wear this one.

Dry, herbal cannabis with incense in the background.

Performance is outstanding, both in projection and longevity.

18th March, 2017

Chrome United by Azzaro

Clean and fresh. Not a compliment getter but will get noticed if over-applied. I'm not sure if it's a projection monster for the first 3-4 hours or if it just really jumps off skin when your body heats up but this one definitely got noticed when I wore it. Nobody thought it smelled bad but everyone made comments about someone wearing cologne.
17th March, 2017

Armani Eau de Nuit Oud by Giorgio Armani

The opening is great but the drydown is lacking. Sweet, woody and fresh but then turns very light and generic.

I was sold on this from the opening but after getting past that phase it is not wishlist worthy.

Projection is good during the first 3-4 hours and then it goes to a skin scent for another two and then it's gone.
17th March, 2017

Purple Label by Ralph Lauren

Smokey, spicy/woody and unmistakenly masculine. And not in the old school macho way, just not feminine or fruity/floral in any way.

This actually projected very well on my skin and lasted the entire workday.
16th March, 2017

Joop! Thrill Men by Joop!

Sweet and creamy and has the spa lotion/expensive hotel lobby smell. I enjoy that smell so this is very pleasant to wear. Feels young but it's not loud enough for clubbing. Seems like an excellent indoor scent since its very pleasant and not a projection bomb.

It's nice to just smell over and over on your skin.
15th March, 2017

Riviera by English Laundry

Spicy, fresh and sweet but there's something bitter in this that turns me off to this as a wearable scent. The opening doesn't have the bitterness, so that's pretty good but after it dries the plasticky-bitterness comes out and actually projects pretty well.
15th March, 2017