Reviews by speedracer

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford

Italian Cypress is mature and refined smelling, but not an old man scent, if that makes sense.

I don't get all of the Polo green comparisons because to me, it is sweeter and less macho than Polo green. Also, the prominent notes of cinnamon and basil really separate the two...that and Polo's signature oakmoss punch (vintage).

Really great for the office as it speaks to class and dignity, not playfulness and sexiness.

Excellent longevity and projection is very good.

14th September, 2017

CH Men Privé by Carolina Herrera

Very masculine, boozy, leathery scent that also showcases a powdery cardamom nicely.

Feels more mature and dressed up but it's still a modern fragrance with plenty of macho-sweetness.

Projection is good, just enough to let others smell you when passing by but won't clear the room.
13th September, 2017

Zeus by Kelsey Berwin

Zeus is a softer version of the modern man fragrance, meaning, it has similarities with BdC, Sauvage and Invictus but isn't as loud, sweet or piercing as those.

Of the three, I actually find it closest to Sauvage, so might be good for someone that almost likes Sauvage but just needs something more restrained.

Performance is very good. Projects nicely and lasts all work day.
11th September, 2017

Club de Nuit Intense by Armaf

I feel the same way about this one as I do Noir de Noir for the opening in that it is roses, powder and feminine. The difference with Club de Nuit Intense is that drydown doesn't evolve as much, stays very linear. Because of that, it also stays in the mature lady smell for me, which I cannot pull off.

Projection and longevity are great, lasts all day and night.

10th September, 2017

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

Spicy, burnt-sugary sweet amber. Thought I was getting some boozy aspects as well, but I think that's the tobacco now.

I kept thinking cinnamon while wearing but that must just be the spices and maybe the honey by association.

Projection is good and longevity is excellent, lasts all day and seems to be quite linear from start to finish.
07th September, 2017

Santal Carmin by Atelier Cologne

Somewhat of a harsh, almost unpleasant opening but then the drydown blends together notes of leather, woods, vanilla and musk really well and becomes very enjoyable. Gives a refined, expensive feel but still retains a modern sweetness.

Projection is modest at best after the opening calms down, doesn't take too long. Longevity is excellent, lasts all day.
06th September, 2017

Grand Néroli by Atelier Cologne

Bitter, citrus opening that wasn't that great. Kinda boring and leaning feminine. However, after getting into the drydown, I've come around on Grand Neroli. After a couple hours, it has a masculine muskiness that blends perfectly with the bitter citrus that still lingers.

Not wishlist-worthy for me but I could enjoy wearing this and could see it garnering some compliments after the opening wears off.

Projection is understated. It's there if you want to smell it but over-spraying might be somewhat appropriate. Longevity is good, if not very good.
05th September, 2017

Philtre Ceylan by Atelier Cologne

The opening is not bad but then the cumin kicks in and takes over completely.

I'm not a lot of tea from this but it's there. I do detect the woody notes and papyrus in the base just under all the cumin.

Projection is very good and seems to last all day.
30th August, 2017

L'Homme Ideal Sport by Guerlain

Pleasantly boring. Too much blue/aquatic notes. I know it's a "Sport" flanker but I hardly detect any of the original Ideal DNA with its rich, gourmandy, almond sweetness. That's the sexy part of that fragrance so I'm not happy that it's MIA in the Sport version. However, it's pleasant and smells fresh and clean, so I can still give this a neutral.

Performance is good, projects like an average EdT and lasts for 6+ hours.
28th August, 2017

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Definitely an old-school, mature scent but there is some sweetness and woodiness to Zino that gives it a twist, making it feel more modern.

The patchouli running throughout is what gives Zino its mature vibe. However, the base is very nice and enjoyable with its sweet tonka/amber mixed with woody notes.

Very good projection for the first 3-4 hours and then it fades.
27th August, 2017

Bleu de Chanel Eau de Parfum by Chanel

On my skin BdC EdP projects a huge cloud and lasts all day, so I am confused by some of the performance issues others called out.

Smells very similar to EdT, just a little darker/deeper in those notes.
27th August, 2017

Poivre Electrique by Atelier Cologne

While it is peppery, I don't find it unpleasant because of the woody base and clean, green notes in the top.

Average projection and very good longevity.
26th August, 2017

Cédrat Enivrant by Atelier Cologne

A green, unripe, bitter, fresh grapefruit. Very fresh and citrusy so summer days are the perfect occasion.

This is enjoyable to wear because of the pleasing and refreshing notes but leans feminine to me, so I'd rather smell this on my wife.

Decent projection but excellent longevity.
25th August, 2017 (last edited: 26th August, 2017)

Silver Scent Pure by Jacques Bogart

Very young and playful. Still has the synthetic, grape vibe of original Silver Scent but SS Pure is a bit cooler, less loud and less brash.

Lots of fruit and lavender and then eventually chills to a woody drydown.

Performance is very good. Strong projection for 4-5 hours and the it hangs on for 6-8 hours.
25th August, 2017

Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue by Versace

Dylan Blue is the smell you get after you've been sampling the men's modern designer fragrances in Sephora for 20 minutes and then you walk out and notice that you have trace amounts of 5-10 different fragrances mixed together on your hands, arms, etc.

The other fragrances that it reminds me of the most are BdC, Invictus and Lacoste White, all mixed together. I like all of those, so for me, this one works well and should be a crowd-pleaser in general.

Good projection and longevity, so you won't need to overspray.

24th August, 2017

Sunrise Vetiver by Franck Olivier

A little citrus up front but this is mostly a very linear, clean and light vetiver scent that's easy to wear and should work well in warmer weather. There are some faint woody notes as well but it's mostly clean/green vetiver.

Performance is okay, projection is average but you can smell it if you try.

21st August, 2017

Sun Men by Jil Sander

The men's version of Sun doesn't have that creaminess that the women's version does. Also, it's not as strong in the sun tan lotion smell, although it has that too. It's more sharp and calogne-y, more alcohol and airy.

Projection is good with Sun Men as my wife was able to pick it up easily without prompting and said she liked that one. She's always a sucker for fresh, beachy scents.
19th August, 2017

R by Révillon

Nice, clean, green and inoffensive. Reminds me of 90s aftershaves like Gillete Cool Wave. Refreshing and crowd-pleasing.

Decent projection. I'm not struggling to smell it and I keep getting wafts of it.
19th August, 2017

Musc 25 by Le Labo

The powdery/floral (lily of the valley?) notes make this one too feminine for me to wear but there is definitely some musky-stinkiness in Musc 25 that contradicts those softer aromas. It's not terrible and sometimes is intriguing but I cannot get enjoyment from wearing this personally.

Performance is good overall, lasts for hours and projects decently.

18th August, 2017

Bulgari Man Black Orient by Bulgari

A spicy take on the Bulgari Man series. The spices in the opening are nice and provide a richness and perceived higher-quality smell that the other flankers do not have. Later, it closely resembles the original Man DNA, but still has some spiciness left to differentiate.

Projection is average but better than a skin scent. Also, lasts all work day, so pretty good performance overall.
17th August, 2017

Polo Red Extreme by Ralph Lauren

If you like any of the Red line offerings from Polo then you're sure to like this, if not make this your favorite. Very syrupy sweet, orange-chocolate with coffee.

Projects nicely for the first few hours and then becomes a skin scent that you can still smell when you want to up to 8 hours later.
15th August, 2017

Bleu Marine by Pierre Cardin

It's really not as bad as what I thought it would be, considering the notes and when it was released. Definitely has the old school vibe but the sweet amber is enjoyable.

Not as aquatic as a Cool Water or AdG, but it does have a hint of "blue" to it.

Performance is decent. Not a powerhouse but you can still smell it 6 hours after and it projects for the first 3-4 hours.
14th August, 2017

Bottega Veneta Pour Homme by Bottega Veneta

Nice, clean, mature office scent with average performance. This won't offend or wow anyone but it is very appropriate in an office/business setting. Might have the slightest bit of "mystery" mixed in too, not sure what it is, but it has something mildly intriguing to it.

Opens with green-spicy notes and later dries down to a clean, soapy leather. It does not project in a big way and starts to fade after about 4 hours on me, so this can be sprayed many times without any nose-fatigue or room-clearing effect.
10th August, 2017

Derby Clubhouse Blanche by Armaf

A very good clone of SMW, hard for my amateur nose to tell a difference, especially in passing. Lots of cool, metallic florals.

Very good projection and longevity.
07th August, 2017

Bois Blonds by Atelier Cologne

Bois Blonds shares a lot in common with Encre Noire Sport to me, but the effect of Bois Blonds isn't as harsh and doesn't perform as well, which may be appealing for some that find ENS a bit strong.

Big neroli up front and then you get the clean vetiver in the drydown that keeps going for 4-5 hours.

A good summer scent.
07th August, 2017

Bergamote Soleil by Atelier Cologne

Bitter orange peel that lasts all day.

Bergamot and vetiver are the stars here. A dry citrus that is sharp and biting, perfect for summer.

Really good longevity. Not a huge projector but persists all day and into the night, albeit lightly.

05th August, 2017

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

Having smelled Viaggio d'Africa by Pal Zileri before smelling Vétiver Tonka, this is what it reminded me of with its sweet, nutty, coffee-like aroma and sharp, dry vetiver proving some freshness. The two do have some similarities in notes. However, looks like Vetiver Tonka came out 6 years before the Zileri, so Hermèssence gets the credit here.

Performance is good. Projects just enough for others to notice and lasts all work day.
03rd August, 2017

Rocks by Original Penguin

Easily wearable and not offensive, but it is a more synthetic version of YSL Lhomme with some extra apple chemical mixed in, almost like mixing Lhomme with Boss Bottled.

Projection is good for a couple hours and then it becomes a skin scent for 8-10 hours.
03rd August, 2017

Clémentine California by Atelier Cologne

I got the Atelier sampler and was very excited to try this one. I knew almost all are considered unisex so as I was decanting the samples into a spray bottle, any that I felt didn't suit me I gave to my wife. This is the one that I love the most on her.

It's sweet, fresh, clean and flirty while also smelling rich, natural and decadent.

I asked her each time she wore it, "that one, what is it?". I find it to be intoxicating.
02nd August, 2017

Aqua Amara by Bulgari

This is a summer go-to for me, especially if I'm enjoying a day at the pool or beach. Very unique for a summer scent as it has lots of freshness and sweetness but also a bold, orangey-floral mixed with some spice or incense.

The only scent I have worn that can withstand ocean or pool water and stays on, still projecting for hours.

Performance is all day and projects so that you will get noticed.
02nd August, 2017