Reviews by speedracer

Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

Bel Ami Vetiver smells like it has warm, ambery cinnamon in it to me but none of that is listed. In fact, there are very few notes listed and the only one I can smell is the vetiver which is of the smokey variety.

Smells a little too mature for me. Definitely a cold weather scent to my nose. Too sweet and heavy for heat.

This has good projection and lasts all workday, so no need for many sprays.
20th July, 2018

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

The fig, citrus and florals all combine to give off a "melon-like" or even peach smell to me. I'm guessing that's mostly the fig. As it dries down, I do get some of the pink pepper which before I looked at the notes thought it might be cumin or vetiver.

Projection is average and only lasts for 1-2 hours. Longevity is average as well, maybe 4-5 hours.
19th July, 2018

Fahrenheit Cologne by Christian Dior

Better than Aqua Fahrenheit because it's closer to the original. That's my opinion of course, but the "aqua" in Aqua Fahrenheit is just too much melon, not enough violet and honeysuckle. I'm not in love with this but it's nice, wearable, unique and has decent performance.

Feels like a versatile casual scent, good in most any weather.

Performance is good, projects decently and lasts 8-9 hours.
17th July, 2018

Lothair by Penhaligon's

Sweet, seductive and spicy opening. Not that far off from Eau des Baux. In fact, it's pretty close to EdB to my nose but not as sharp, more refined and also not as loud which may not be what some want. This smells so good that you'll want others to notice.

Feels like a nighttime scent, good for formal or casual wear.

The drydown kicks in with the vanilla and then gives way to the musky oakmoss at some point. All workday longevity with about 6 hours of average projection.
17th July, 2018

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

I'm a big fan of the original Polo but not in the current formulation, just the vintage. This is probably the closest to it if you can't get the real thing, at least as far as my memory is concerned.

I do actually prefer Polo Crest over the original and Modern Reserve because it smells like original Polo just slightly modernized, so you get the best of both worlds.

Modern Reserve starts off green, mossy and spicy. As it dries down, you lose some of the green but the spice carries on into the leather phase which is great. Very masculine throughout.

This is manly and rugged but there's some wealth and refinement in there as well. It should be a versatile scent for the right guy with the right attitude. Probably more mature than young.

I get good projection and longevity, lasts 7-8 hours on me.
16th July, 2018

Vince Camuto Oud by Vince Camuto

Very woody, dusty, smoked cedar and sandalwood. The oud is pretty accessible and should be enjoyed by those of us who don't always appreciate the "best" oud scents.

Comes out of the gate swinging with plenty of projection but dies down quickly. Other than losing some of the bite from the opening, it stays linear from start to finish.

Longevity is good, lasts all workday but doesn't project a huge cloud after the opening dies down.

Although this is fairly clean and not heavy, feels best for casual wear in cooler temps.
15th July, 2018

Moonlight in Heaven by By Kilian

A little citrus and pepper in the opening that quickly gives way to a clean, creamy coconut scent as it dries down. This is not a full-on coconut scent but it's definitely there. It's more like the soft, creamy scent you smell in high-end hotels mixed with a little coconut. I’m getting some soft florals but it's not heavily feminine.

Feels like a daytime, casual scent to me.

Projection is light but the scent lasts 8-10 hours.
14th July, 2018

Blu Mediterraneo Bergamotto di Calabria by Acqua di Parma

Very light, refreshing lemon citrus in the opening mixed with floral notes for a very clean and unisex effect. The florals continue into the drydown mixed with a soft musk, making this lean more feminine to me. In the final phase, I get mostly soft musk and vetiver which is pretty nice and not as feminine.

Performance is interesting as the projection is below average during the entire development but I actually got all workday longevity. I sprayed on my clothes and that seemed to help a lot.
13th July, 2018

Bracken Man by Amouage

The opening smells like a soapy, winter holiday memory, maybe even a little medicinal. Cool green (cypress) notes mixed with the cloves and nutmeg give it the North American "holidays" feel. Wife said I smelled like pine cones, but not in a bad way, ha!

Not a favorite of mine but it is nice, clean and pleasing. Feels more dressed up than casual but otherwise, should be versatile any different temperatures because of the cool, cleanness. Also, seems pretty linear on me after the brighter top notes fade off.

I get good projection during the first 4-5 hours. The skin scent lasts all workday.
12th July, 2018

Mr. Burberry Eau de Parfum by Burberry

After the fruity-citrus, minty opening, smells like LIDG (not Extrême / Eau de Parfum) as it dries down. This phase lasts for 6-7 hours. Looks like they do share some similar main notes but instead of cocoa in LIDG the Burberry goes with cinnamon and amber. After that middle phase goes away, your left with just a soft, kinda dry amber scent.

Projection is average but it does last all workday on my skin.
11th July, 2018

Zion by Alexandria Fragrances

Does smell very similar to Elysium Pour Homme Parfum Cologne by Roja Dove.

After the opening, it dies down quickly, losing some of the top-end "sparkle" and does not project as much as Elysium but it still retains much of what Elysium is and smells very good to me.

This actually does have excellent longevity, specifically because it projects the entire time. I get 8-10 hours of good projection. Very surprised at how good the performance turned out for Zion while the Dua frag Supernova did not perform near as well.
10th July, 2018

Hempstead by Abercrombie & Fitch

I cannot stop sniffing this.

It's clean, fresh, spicy, aromatic, sweet and musky all at the same time. It's very masculine but then also seems appropriate for anyone to wear.

It has elements of modern and old, rich and cheap. It's just very interesting and alluring to me.

I haven't figured out what it reminds me of, if anything. The citrus sweetness and spicy musk conjures up the feeling of Aventus, but this is no clone to be sure and not saying this will drop panties. No smokiness and other notes missing, just saying it has the same general feel.

It projects for the first few hours and then dries down to a nice skin scent that lasts 8-10 hours.
08th July, 2018

A*Men Sunessence Orage D'Ete / Summer Storm by Thierry Mugler

Smells like a less dirty, more orangey version of Pure Shot/Energy, which I like but into the drydown I prefer Pure Shot as it has that piercing, soapy scent. This does not go into the soapy route, but it still retains that oily orange, fresh scent.

Feels like a warm weather casual scent for a variety of age groups.

Performance is very good, projects easily for about 4-5 hours and lasts on skin all workday.
07th July, 2018

Smoked Oud by Vince Camuto

This is unique for a designer frag. It's woody, smokey, spicey and ambery. The incense seems to be the main player in the opening but there's something unique to this that smells sweetly fermented. Does not smell like a designer, more like something I would expect from a niche house. Doesn't mean it's great or amazing, just something different than the usual Camuto scent. On that note, try before you buy.

Drydown gets more into just a sweet woody base, but that fermented note is still barely there. Feels more refined than casual, possibly good for every season except summer.

Lightly projects for maybe 4 hours but could be cloying and clear a room if over-applied. Lasts on skin 7-8 hours.
06th July, 2018

1 Million Lucky by Paco Rabanne

Sweet, fruity opening. Drydown has more of the powderiness that I associate with 1 Million but the sweetness also persists. There's enough 1 Million DNA in this throughout to recognize it's still there and this is a flanker of that scent. I'm not getting the bubblegum from the original but still has that powdery freshness. A Casual, playful, crowd-pleaser scent that seems to be versatile for any season.

Very good projection and longevity. Lasts around 10 hours.
06th July, 2018

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

Smells and performs like many other 70’s and early 80’s scents. It’s all old school from beginning to end but has some citrus, mild sweetness and powder up front followed by a leather scent in the drydown. If you’ve smelled other reference fragrances from the same era then this will be familiar and unfortunately not my style.

Performance is really good on my skin. Projects nicely with only a few sprays for 4-6 hours and you can still smell it on your skin hours after.
05th July, 2018

Rocabar by Hermès

The opening has clean cedar/sandalwood notes for a drier, cooler feel mixed with a not-too-sweet vanilla and something a little warm and spicy. That cool vs warm dichotomy is what makes this otherwise pedestrian scent a little more interesting to me. It's very nice and agreeable. A soft, smooth scent that seems very work-appropriate. Not super-masculine, almost feminine.

Not as heavy as you might think, pretty versatile. There's a powderiness in the drydown that makes me think cool weather only but it's really not that heavy. The year this came out (1998) does not surprise me as it has some modern and classic feel to it. Fits perfectly in the 90's.

Performance is good on my skin. Above average projection with all workday longevity.
04th July, 2018

Black Bold by Kenneth Cole

Very similar to KC Black but with a little more watery freshness. Drydown still includes the minty notes but then some white florals appear with cedar. It's all very close to the original KC Black.

If I were to rank all the KC Black fragrances by my preference, I would go with 1)Black Vintage, 2) Black Bold, 3) Black.

Very good performance on my skin both in projection and longevity. I could smell it all workday without having to smell my skin.
03rd July, 2018

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

I was expecting more of the Irish Spring soap smell like many have described but what immediately comes to mind is original Polo Green. It is quite clean but not as fresh as Irish Spring and is much more mossy like Polo or even Esencia Loewe.

Projection is average, gets the job done. Longevity is quite good, lasts all workday.
02nd July, 2018

Notting Hill for Him by English Laundry

Sweet and synthetic but still fresh and clean. The pepper comes in just after the opening and provides a little spicy dirtiness but not much to throw it from the clean/fresh vibe. Has a slight Fierce vibe going on, maybe Fierce with a much lighter touch.

Projection and longevity are below average. Projects a small cloud for maybe an hour and then the whole thing is gone maybe four hours in.
01st July, 2018

Moscow Mule by Juliette Has a Gun

Leans heavily feminine to me. I was expecting more of a zesty-ginger and maybe a little citrus but this is all woody synthetic ambroxan and ISO-E Super. It's very much like some of the other simplistic offerings from Juliette Has a Gun, being light, airy and synthetic.

Projection is above average and you can smell it still after 12 hours.
30th June, 2018

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

Starts with a sharp citrus blast but then quickly dries to a woody, spicy warmness. The leather shows up deeper into the drydown. I don't get much tobacco but what I do get is the floral-leaf variety.

Feels dressed up, mature, refined and maybe more suited to cooler weather. Just to be clear, I do not consider this to be something a young guy cannot wear. I feel it's pretty versatile for age.

Projects nicely off my skin for the first three hours then starts to fade. Longevity is below average.
29th June, 2018

Oxford Bleu by English Laundry

Reminds me of Eros or Le Male eau Fraiche with the loud minty notes. And not a natural mint, more like the kind you taste in mint chocolate chip ice cream, quite synthetic but still has a cooling effect.

This one has very good performance. Projects a nice cloud and lasts all workday on my skin.
28th June, 2018

Sauvage Eau de Parfum by Christian Dior

I don't know if it's any richer or fuller than the EDT, but the smell is very close. It's like the non-alcoholic drink version of the EDT. Tastes very similar but won't get you in trouble. And this is why I think many still prefer the EDT. Not because it smells vastly better but because if you choose the EDP, you’re missing out on all the attention-grabbing craziness of the EDT, which is a big part of its appeal.

Feels very versatile because of the ultra-clean freshness that it exudes.

I get above average projection for 7-8 hours and then just average for the rest of the day.
26th June, 2018

Dior Homme Cologne (2013) by Christian Dior

Dior Homme with more citrus and no iris. Smells a lot like Dior Homme Sport to me. Smells nice but isn’t my favorite in the Dior Homme line and doesn’t excite me in any way as I feel there are better warm weather options.

Projection is average but longevity is good, lasts all workday.
23rd June, 2018

Vetiver Geranium by Creed

Tremendous geranium and vetiver combo in the opening but then the cedar takes over in the drydown that lasts all day and strong. Really impressive performance on my skin.

It's clean, refined, unisex and very pleasant but be careful with the sprays as it could be come cloying or maybe even worse, overwhelming to the point that you cannot smell it. Go easy on the sprays.
22nd June, 2018

Ferrari Radiant Bergamot by Ferrari

Starts with sparkling Lemonheads candies. Reminds me of 4711 and Mugler Cologne with its sharp, clean green notes. Lots of green lemons. Later the drydown is a spicy musk very much like a traditional men's aftershave.

The projection is below average but the aftershave drydown lasts all workday.
21st June, 2018

Island Life for Him by Tommy Bahama

Fresh, fizzy and clean. Almost soapy clean and has a shower gel lean to it but still smells pleasant and natural. Great for casual/warm weather wear.

Thumbs up for the smell alone, the wife and I really like it.

The big issue is the performance on my skin, the projection is poor and longevity is worse. I suggest many sprays and on clothing to improve performance.
20th June, 2018

Juniper Sling by Penhaligon's

Fresh, green, dry and woody with a zesty zing like a mixed drink in the refreshing and pleasing opening. The drydown is all vetiver and maybe a bit of dusty leather. This is one of those scents where you love the opening and the drydown is actually a letdown.

If someone can catch you in the first 15 minutes, it should be noticeable and might grab a compliment. Anything beyond that and you'll probably be the only one enjoying the vetiver drydown. That is a knock on the projection but it does last all workday, so no issues with longevity.
19th June, 2018

L'Eau Majeure d'Issey by Issey Miyake

Smells like a mature take on the sweet, modern aquatic. My first thought was Invictus Aqua, Mont Blanc Legend Spirit or something from Nautica but this seems to be a little more natural than those in the opening and turns out very nice. The drydown is much more ordinary, still fresh and pleasant but more synthetic. Not getting any citrusy yuzu, so this doesn't seem to have any original L'Eau d'Issey DNA to me.

Projection is average to good and longevity is very good, lasts all workday.
19th June, 2018