Reviews by Scent Detective

Dirty Ginger by Heretic Parfums

Spectacular!!! That's the word to describe Dirty Ginger by Heretic Parfums! I absolutely adore this fragrance! I just sprung for the full bottle as it's so amazing! Bright...bright ginger with lime! It smells even better than it sounds. The shiso leaf, woods and vetiver all combine to make this one of my new top fragrances!!! The all natural composition of this product does affect longevity to some degree, but it is just so brilliant that I can say enough good things about it! Highest recommendation!!!
03rd November, 2017

Siberian Musk by Areej le Doré

Musk...full in your face...primordial. Like having the deer come up and rub it's musk gland all over your neck type of experience. After having read all of the amazing reviews of this fragrance, and when I saw the wide variety of notes listed, I wondered if this might be a musk that I would actually enjoy, but it's too much for me. Now, let me clarify by saying that the fact I haven't particularly enjoyed this doesn't have anything to do with this not being a well crafted and highly exotic fragrance. It just has everything to do with the fact that I don't care for musk frags. As I mentioned, I was hoping to pick up the opening notes, smell some musk as this progressed into the middle notes, and then pick up the base notes as well, but this is musk all the way on me. It's not subtle, it is very straight forward and powerful. It does take on a sweeter aspect, and mellow after a full days wear, but this is a fragrance for musk lovers. Very well made and very strong.
01st November, 2017 (last edited: 02nd November, 2017)

Cardinal by Heeley

Cardinal is a light incense compared to the others I own and have tried, i.e., Olibanum by Profumum and 07 Tanoke by Odin. I really have enjoyed wearing Cardinal. Although it's light, there is a slight smokiness to it. But, I must say that the most surprising thing to me was how much Cardinal reminds me of Mona Di Orio's Vanille. There is something in the competition of Cardinal that really brings MDO's Vanille to mind when I put my wrist to my nose to smell it. In fact, I'm going to do a comparison and I'll come back and report on whether I was just imagining it or if the MDO Vanille is really anything like Cardinal. This is a fine fragrance and one I believe is bottle worthy.
31st October, 2017

Blood Cedar by Heretic Parfums

The best Cedar fragrance I've ever smelled. The opening is near perfection. This hits all the marks for me, from the Fir Absolute to the Spruce to the Olibanum, to the Blood Cedar. I absolutely adore this fragrance. Now to it's weakness. It lasts such a short time that it almost brings a single tear to my eye. I want it to last...I want a full bottle very badly, but I'm torn as it's not cheap, but it's so very beautiful. I'm sure my love for this will win the day and I'll have some eventually. Highest rating for the fragrance notes. Virtually the lowest rating for it's brevity. Still a huge thumbs up for me though, as It's Nirvana while it lasts...
29th October, 2017 (last edited: 30th October, 2017)

Menthe Fraiche / Fresh Mint / Eau de Menthe by Heeley

Not what I was expecting. I was hoping for the fresh mint to last through the wear, but no. This is more a green tea fragrance than a mint fragrance. There is a spearmint in the opening, and that is my favorite part of Menthe Fraiche. The dry down I don't appreciate nearly as much. It takes on a biter, almost sour note as it drys down. Maybe it's just my skin, but I don't appreciate where this ones ends up. I'm sorry too, because I really wanted to love Menthe Fraiche.
29th October, 2017

Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford

Smells great...somewhat like the original Mandarin di Amalfi, but softer, which, while a nice change is also the problem. It weakens quickly as if your skin is kryptonite and Mandarino di Amalfi Aqua is Superman. It's a very faint skin scent now 2 hours post application, and I put a fair amount on. What's left is a slight mandarine scent, and a salty vibe that must be the aquatic accord mentioned. I'd stick with the original, as it smells very nice and lasts a whole lot longer. Neutral because of the disappearing act.
22nd October, 2017

Mare by Slumberhouse

Mare is a real trip. It's definitely green, but it's a green that isn't something you would think of as a fragrance to wear on you skin by choice. However, with that said, Mare does have a strange beauty that brings a smile to my face. Mare is a foody smell, which is surprising. LaDomna said it smells like, "cucumber pickles", and I agree with her. But, not like just any pickles, no...this is not quite dill pickle, although more so than it is sweet pickle. It's almost a bread and butter pickle. LOL! Never thought I'd be talking about a fragrance quite like this one. I figured out the perfect setting to wear Mare. I put it on today and went out to work in the yard. It settled in, and fit right in with the smells of the mown grass, the garden vegetation, and the other plants in my yard. Mare is so unique that I would highly recommend finding a sample to try before investing in something bigger. I got a nice 8ml sample, and I'm glad I did. But, get a small sample to test before taking any plunge into the swamp scape that is Mare. Otherwise, you may find yourself in a "Night" Mare if you're not careful.
08th October, 2017

Viking by Creed

A very nice fougere type fragrance. I like the bergamot and pink pepper opening that transitions into the peppermint note in the mid. I don't get much if any rose, which is fine with me. I do smell the cinnamon note that many have talked about and it settles into the sandalwood and patchouli for the close. I like it overall quite a bit. I did a bit of a side by side comparison with Bracken Man by Amouage on the other wrist. I believe I prefer the Viking to the Bracken Man overall, although both are very good. I can't see myself buying a full bottle of Viking though, as it is very nice, but not unique enough for the price required to purchase it. There are enough like things in my collection that I can wear and enjoy without the huge investment for Viking. I'd like to have some, but not until it comes down, (if it ever does), in price. Still a nice fragrance and a thumbs up.

An additional thought from wearing Viking for a second day in a row. I've enjoyed wearing it again today and would reiterate that I'd love to have more than the small sample I currently have. There is a time during the middle notes when the peppermint is most noticeable that I got a feeling of Creed's Royal Water. It's not exactly the same, but there is a short time when there is a similarity in my opinion. But, where Royal Water projects like a fog horn, Viking projects like a mild breeze. Viking is a nice, fresh, safe fragrance that is completely non offensive.
02nd October, 2017 (last edited: 03rd October, 2017)

Zahd by Slumberhouse

Kneel before Zahd! Josh Lobb has such an eclectic fragrance sensibility...and I absolutely love it! Zahd is sweet, but spicy...pungent, but in an aromatic way. It's a juxtaposition of dissimilar individual parts that make up a greater whole. I do smell the cherry. I do smell the cranberry and the plum, as well as the cocoa and the incense. There is a lot going on that creates a scent profile quite unlike other fragrances. Personally, I like it. I enjoy peeling back the layers and enjoying the amazing craft that is displayed in this fragrance. Zahd is not rank...Zahd can pull rank. Zahd is not a "Private" blend...Zahd is a "General" success!
23rd September, 2017

Green Man by Body Conjure

Nice transparent coniferous presence in the opening. Also a noticeable eucalyptus note as well, but not overly so. This has a high desert conifer smell to my nose. Reminds me somewhat of Olympic Orchids Arizona, but is much smoother and not as sharp as Arizona, although there is a slight turpentine presence to Green Man. I also notice a gorse/ground cover feel to it as well, probably from the sage, but I must say this is a very nice coniferous/green fragrance. Dry in aspect similar to Dior's Granville, without the "corn chip" vibe I get from Granville. Green Man as I said has a dry aspect as opposed to a wet, sappy presence, a smoky coniferous presence, or a sweet coniferous presence prevalent in many other conifer offerings on the market. Not that there's anything wrong with any of those styles of coniferous fragrances. I love so many of them in one way or another. I got the alcohol based sample and I must say that I'm very pleased with Green Man...more than I thought I would be. The one slight draw back is longevity, but this is an essential oil/natural type fragrance. Based on that fact, it actually has good longevity. After 6 hours I could still slightly detect GM with nose to wrist. Excellent job by Greg Wharton and Body Conjure. Green Man is definitely bottle worthy in my book!
22nd September, 2017

Mandarine Glaciale by Atelier Cologne

A nice orange fragrance with a hint of a ginger spice that is very nice. Doesn't have amazing longevity, but it's not too bad for a cologne. I wouldn't mind having some of this as I love the freshness. It has a different presence than my beloved neroli frags and adds one of the better orange notes I've tried so far.
06th September, 2017

English Oak & Hazelnut by Jo Malone London

Picked up a sample of this today and I like it much more than I thought I "wood". The opening has the hazlenut, but it's the dry down that I've appreciated the most. They're calling the oak note a "roasted oak", which sounds interesting, but actually seems to lessen just a touch the sour quality oak notes seem to have to my nose. The elemi, vetiver and moss round this out nicely between the nutty hazelnut and the oak which smells very nice. I've been very impressed by the sillage and the longevity of this frag. Much better on my skin than virtually every other Jo Malone I've tried. This may be bottle worthy for the wonderful dry down. I'd try a sample first though.
05th September, 2017

Purple Label by Ralph Lauren

A subdued but highly enjoyable fragrance. Yes, it is sweet, but is also slightly dusky from the tobacco, thyme and oakmoss. I have thoroughly enjoyed this fragrance all day long. The sweetness from the blackberry note in the opening has lingered all day, but does mellow during the wear. The mandarin note also lingers and is a big part of the dry down. It's definitely not a sillage beast, but what a pleasant skin scent! I've found another Ralph Lauren fragrance to love. Original Polo will always be my favorite from this house, but I really do love this one too! And, purple has always been my favorite color to boot! Seriously though, this is a refined and enjoyable fragrance and I'm so happy to have it in my rotation.
04th September, 2017

Polo Red by Ralph Lauren

A slight thumbs up for Polo Red. It doesn't have the revered place in my heart that original Polo Green has, and it never will. My son says it smells like Skittles, and I can see where he's coming from. It is very sweet as others have mentioned, and does have a candy vibe going on. I don't mind spraying a very small spritz on one wrist and wearing it around once in a while, but I would never overspray this one. I tested the Polo Red Intense at the Polo outlet store and actually preferred it to regular Polo Red. I need to get a sample of Red Intense.
04th September, 2017

Bois d’Hiver by Ex Nihilo

Bois d'Hiver is very interesting. It starts out as the best smelling Play Doh ever made. Seriously though, the cardamon heliotrope patchouli combo gives this a sweet musky scent that is quite pleasant. It's hard to smell this when you're wearing it after a short time, but others can smell it, similar to the aroma chemical in Molecule 01. At least that's been my experience so far. I quite like the smell of Bois d'Hiver and would love to have more than a sample.
01st September, 2017

Blue Sage / Lime / Fir Wood by Korres

I want to like this one, but I'm struggling with it. Based on the Fir, Lime, Vetiver, Sage and mint, I should love it...but it has a major men's designer vibe going on. I keep smelling my arm and having visions of Macy's men's fragrance counter with a miasma of fragrance test strips laying on the counter in front of me and intermingling into a headache inducing cloud. Okay, so there are some redeeming qualities to Blue Sage Lime and Fir Wood. In the very first moments after spraying, I could smell the lime, and almost make out some fir wood. But it became a musky conglomeration all too quickly. I need to give it some more time and see what develops. Neutral for now.
30th August, 2017

Cologne 352 by Ex Nihilo

I love the opening. This is the best juniper berry note I've ever smelled in a fragrance. This starts with citrus and juniper and is so sharp...it could cut you if you move the wrong way. My problem with this fragrance is that it starts sharp throughout the wear. Okay, so it does mellow a little bit, but there is a relentlessness that wore me out after about 10 hours. I can't believe I'm complaining about longevity in a fragrance???!!!! That is so weird...but, I got olfactory fatigue with this frag after a while. Cologne 352 is so well made. It just vibrates class and expertise. It is also extremely expensive, and one must love, love, love it to invest in a full bottle. I like it a lot, and I appreciate the accomplishment it represents, but I don't know if I'll wear it enough to justify the full bottle treatment, never the less, this is an amazing eau de cologne...simply stunning. In fact, it's so "stunning" that I went 10 rounds with it and it TKO'd me...I'm stunned. Still a thumbs up, but get a sample...do not blind buy this one...
30th August, 2017

Olympic Rainforest by Olympic Orchids

An excellent green fragrance that is natural smelling in the way essential oil perfumes are. I'm surprised to see sword ferns listed as a note, as I've come to understand that ferns don't have a scent, which led to the whole fougere fragrance genre's creation. Anyway, this does have coniferous notes, which I absolutely love, but it also has the undergrowth vibe, complete with just a hint of mustiness, which must come from the mushroom. There is also a slightly sweet note which I assume comes from beebalm and the florals. Performance is of a shorter duration than I typically like, but I would love to have a bottle of this one.
28th August, 2017

As Sawira by Penhaligon's

I smell saffron in the opening, mixed with florals and a whole lot more boiling under the surface. Yes, it is sweet, yes, it is exotic smelling, and it does have a sandalwood note in the dry down along with patchouli. I like the dry down better than the opening to be honest. But, it starts to dissipate and the dry down didn't last quite long enough on me to appreciate it fully. I need to wear it again and spend more time with this one, then finish reviewing.
28th August, 2017

Clubman by Pinaud

This may be considered a classic, but I don't find it very appealing. It smells like an oil lubricant you'd use on a sewing machine, with a bit of floral mixed in. Perhaps it's my lack of refinement that causes me to feel this way...and yet, I think it's my nose that's doing it.

Shaving Shop by Taylor of Old Bond Street

Huh...this does open like a 5th of whiskey as other's have said. It settles down into the barbershop vibe, but it's not my favorite of the barbershop genre. Yet again another I'd like to have tried first before purchasing. The good thing is that it's not a massive purchase, but still, the $35.00 could have gone towards something I liked much better. Ah...blind buys...I do it far too often. It's kind of fun to take the gamble when you find something special. This isn't bad, but it's not for me.

Old Spice Fresh Lime by Shulton

Afraid I got the reformulated version of this that's made in India now. It smells nothing like "limes" to me at all. In fact, it almost smells like an inferior version of the current classic offering, which is of course not as good as the original Old Spice used to be. I'm sorry if this review is in the wrong place, but I couldn't find the newer version made in India to put this review in the right place. I'd love to try this original version.

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum by Pinaud

A watery bay rum that isn't terrible, but also isn't inspiring. Dirt cheap, which is a good thing, but if I'd been able to sample this first, I wouldn't have bought it.

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Slight thumbs up for Giorgio of BH for men. This is the biggest patchouli bomb I've encountered. I'm not a huge patchouli fan, so I have a hard time wearing this. However, for someone who loves patch, you definitely need this in your collection. It is dirt cheap! I got a bottle at TJ Maxx for around $16.00. It has nuclear longevity and will outlast any night out on the town.

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Not too bad. Quorum is patterned after the original Polo, or, seems to bean attempt to cover the same basic template, with more herbs mixed in. Quorum has a dirtier, mustier vibe than Polo does in my opinion. I don't mind Quorum. It's a great value for the price, and if applied lightly is enjoyable.

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

Starts out fresh with citrus and fig notes. For some reason this smells a touch synthetic to me. It's nice, but it doesn't have as much staying power as I'd like. I haven't oversprayed yet, but perhaps that would take care of the lack of longevity.

Sole di Positano by Tom Ford

Sole di Positano smells very nice. The problem in my mind is that it basically smells like Neroli Portifino, and I already have Neroli Portofino, so I have no need for SdP. I pick up more petitgrain in the opening of SdP than I do in the opening of NP, but it really does smell A LOT like NP. So, if you're trying to decide on a nice neroli based fragrance and you don't own either one of these, then give this a try. The only other difference I would say is the longevity seems better in Neroli Portofino than in Sole di Positano. In fact, SdP almost feels more like an Eau de Cologne than it does like an Eau de Parfum, whereas NP feels more like an EDP. Neutral rating for me as I try to figure out why Tom Ford would go to the trouble of releasing so many fragrances that are basically the same thing with different names. I guess it's because some people just have to have one of everything.
26th August, 2017

MEM by Bogue Profumo

I'm probably not politically correct enough to enjoy MEM. Instant revulsion on my part when I put this on. I left it on to see if it would morph into something I would ever consider wearing, but no. MEM smells to me like the hand lotion Aunt Bessie bought at Woolworth's Drug Store back in 1974. This has an old lady smell to my nose. I could detect some woods lurking under the surface, but they were so overcome by the florals and old lady vibe, that there was no way for me to get any enjoyment out of this frag. I also picked up some funk, and I see now why, as civet is a listed note. This is a busy mess, and reads like a case of fragrance by blender. There is some movement during the course of the wear,and MEM eventually lightens just a tiny bit on the old lady floral funk, but not nearly enough for me.
24th August, 2017

Thundra by Profumum

Not something I would seek out. It smells odd. I didn't think of mushrooms until I read some of the other posts. I'm not sure I smell shrooms, but I do smell an overall fragrance that I would have no interest in wearing. I gave it a third star because I love the house. But, this is not one of their star performers in my opinion.
24th August, 2017

Amber Sky by Ex Nihilo

A beautiful fragrance. I'm not a huge amber fan, hence a four star rating for me, but still, this is an amazing amber. The best I've tried. This starts out very resinous to me and then switches over to a syrupy honey sweetness with a hint of raspberry and jasmine. I definitely smell the patchouli, but it's blended in nicely and doesn't overpower as it can, which I appreciate. The longevity and sillage are both impressive. I've now tried two Ex Nihilo fragrances, and both have been amazing. They should be amazing for the price, but the good thing is, they are. I'm checking out more from this line, and it's quickly becoming one that I have a keen interest in based on their quality. That is not a good thing for my wallet, but it could be for my wardrobe.
23rd August, 2017