Reviews by Scent Detective

Allure Homme by Chanel

Allure Homme smells like another men's designer fragrance I've tried. I can't remember what it is, but it's not my favorite. It's a strong, synthetic smell that stays potent for about 3 hours. When it becomes more of a skin scent, I like it better. it's actually kind of enjoyable at that point. This is not something I would purchase, but would try to wear for a while if received as a gift.
16th July, 2017

Boy Chanel by Chanel

Boy Chanel smells like the fragrance a mannequin would wear...like the nectar squeezed out of a nice artificial flower arrangement if such a thing were possible. This smells much different than I anticipated. It's not the worst frag I've tried, but it's definitely not as good as the really nice stuff I've worn either. Sort of plasticy to my nose. The longevity and sillage aren't that impressive either, which also surprised me. The one thing that didn't surprise me was the price tag, which was high. My sample will be sufficient.
16th July, 2017

Icon Collection - BR90: Pure White by Banana Republic

This is quite nice! It opens with a lot of citrus...very fresh, as well as the green tea note which is lighter than it is in say, Creed's Asian Green Tea fragrance. This is well made and enjoyable. I'm impressed by the quality of the blend and the overall composition. It smells very nice throughout the wear, and the longevity is very impressive. I got a good 8 hours in terms of longevity and from 5 to 6 hours of sillage. Honestly, this starts out nice and improves as it dries down in my opinion. This is a great frag for the price...I recommend going into BR and checking it out as well as all of their Icon Collection.
13th July, 2017

Yesterday Haze by Imaginary Authors

A fig laden fig fest. A great fragrance if you're into fig. Very sweet and powdery, especially after an hour or so...it seems to get sweeter as it dries down. I would almost say this is more feminine than unisex in character. Probably not something I'll pursue after my initial wear. I would definitely get a sample of this to try however if you love fig dominant fragrances. It does have pretty decent longevity and sillage as well. Neutral for me however as this isn't my Newton...I'm not drawn to it...y'see.
08th July, 2017

Memoirs of a Trespasser by Imaginary Authors

Woods...smells more like a dry cedar to me than oak barrels, but VERY nice! Caramel, and some type of nutty note to my nose. This is extremely nice in my opinion. I'd love to have a bottle sometime. I love a good woody, resinous scent and Memoirs of a Trespasser definitely fits that bill. I'm appreciating Imaginary Author/Josh Meyers work more with each one of his olfactory creations I try. A definite thumbs up for me.
06th July, 2017

Slow Explosions by Imaginary Authors

I had to wear this one two days in a row to make sure I was smelling things correctly. I don't know if I accomplished that or not, but here are my thoughts with regards to Slow Explosions by Imaginary Authors:

This stuff is unusual. It's like going on a trip that starts out bad, but then ends up being amazing and ends too quickly. Slow Explosions is all about Saffron. (Thanks to landshark321's review that suggested watching the youtube video with perfumer and creator of the scent Josh Meyer). Josh explains that he found a specific Saffron that he had worked with when he created An Air of Despair, and wanted to continue on with the next phase of his exploration of saffron, and it ended up being Slow Explosions. So, as I alluded to above, I'm not fond of the synthetic apple opening with this frag. It smells like an apple wine, but with synthetic edges. This part of the wear was not enjoyable for me, and was one of the reasons I wanted to wear it two days in a row to see if I was just being unreasonable the first day, but no...I don't like the opening. The good thing is, it gets much better from there. The mid notes still have some of the clingy apple booze going on, but the real show stopper is the end of the mid to the base notes. This phase is enchanting. The funny thing is, when I put my nose close to my wrist, I could still smell the apple, and a moth ball type vibe, but when I caught a whiff of it from further away, such as when the air conditioning in the building caught a vagrant waft of this and pushed it towards me in the air, the scent was truly magical. It is an addictive type waft. :-) I would consider purchasing the travel spray, as I think that would be enough of this fragrance to last me for quite some time. One thing I've learned from this one is just how important the opening of a fragrance is to me. I would rate this one higher if the longevity was better, because I could then enjoy the truly special part of this frag for a longer period of time. I'd definitely try a sample before purchasing this one. It is truly unique.
04th July, 2017

Saint Julep by Imaginary Authors

Heavenly! Glorious! The first two words that come to mind after spraying this incredible fragrance on this morning. WOW!!! The opening is indeed special! The mint is completely fresh and of the crushed mint leaves variety. It is also very subtle and only detectable in the opening. This fragrance is also incredibly sweet...it smells like sugar, or more appropriately, it smells like a caramelized sugar. This note stays throughout the wear, probably a combination of the bourbon and the sugar. Perhaps a hint of the tangerine in the opening. The Grisalva note is interesting. It's supposed to be an animalic/ambergris type compound. This fragrance is nothing if not fresh and un-animalic, so I don't know if it's noticeable or not. The crushed ice accord is funny...I don't smell it, but I love Josh Meyer's imaginary notes as much as his imaginary stories. Longevity isn't too bad. It lasted about 5.5 hours before I sprayed a little more on just because I wanted to smell that opening again. Sillage isn't as good, it becomes a skin scent only after about 3 hours tops on me. This is a definite winner in my "book" and I will be purchasing a bottle of Saint Julep! Well done Mr. Meyer!
01st July, 2017 (last edited: 04th July, 2017)

The Soft Lawn by Imaginary Authors

Very nice, soft, fragrant imagery comes to mind when wearing the Soft Lawn. That sounds pretty funny actually...I feel like Pistachio Disguisey in one of the worst films ever made, the Master of Disguise. In this horrific film, Pistachio, played by Dana Carvey disguises himself as a section of lawn at one point...so he's wearing lawn. Today, I'm wearing the Soft Lawn, but it is infinitely better than Pistachio's lawn...that he's wearing...

Okay, anyway, this fragrance is actually quite enjoyable. The listed notes intrigued me greatly. I love green scents, and this definitely has them. The lime blossom is quite strong in the opening and is one of my favorite parts of this fragrance.

This wears well, is unique, and has very good longevity and sillage. I'd like to get a bottle.
30th June, 2017

Agua Lavanda by Antonio Puig

Very short lived fragrance, but it's still a thumbs up for me. I love this simple lavender blast of freshness! One of the best shower and after shave/body splash combo's out there if you buy the shower gel and cologne. Both can be had for a song, and they will cheer you up immensely for an hour or two...then they'll be gone. BUT, that hour or two is just so enjoyable!
29th June, 2017

1776 Russian Leather by Elsha

This is probably a thumbs down for me, but I need to give it a few more wears before I determine that. My father wore Elsha many years ago, and this is not my father's Elsha. At least it sure seems different to me. Does anyone know if this is a reformulation? I seem to remember this actually smelling something like leather, but as mentioned, there is no leather to be found here. I'm smelling spice and as vipersinthefield said, an almost "root beer" note. The other note I'm smelling is something I picked up in Serge Lutens L'Incendiaire. It's a smell that reminds me of pancake make-up. Not my favorite smell. It's off putting. I'll try it a couple more times to see if I can find any ambiance with this fragrance or not...so far, it's a "not".
28th June, 2017

The Fragrance Journals : 1976 by Floris

1976 is a very nice citrus with vestiges of juniper and a slight woodiness. I did also pick up some lavender in the mid, which was nice. I quite enjoyed my day with this fragrance and would love to have a bottle in my collection. As already mentioned, I'd like to find it at a discount, but I do feel that it's fresh, enjoyable, and bottle worthy.

Chypress by Floris

Got a sample of this for my wife. The name was misleading, as I thought it might be a play on the words chypre and cypress, but this is definitely a feminine fragrance. Chypress is a white flower floral that smelled very nice on her indeed. I will be picking up a bottle of this sometime for her. Thumbs up.

The Fragrance Journals : 1988 by Floris

Wore this today and didn't care for it. It has a note that I don't like on my skin. I'm not sure what that note is, but it doesn't mix well with my chemistry. The day I can identify all of the notes, or at least the ones I love and the ones I hate will be a most welcome day for me. It could be the thyme note I'm not liking, as I've not found a fragrance with thyme in it that I end up purchasing. I've enjoyed both of the other fragrance journals from Floris, but 1988 is one I will pass on.

The Fragrance Journals : 1962 by Floris

A fresh cypress with a slightly floral touch that doesn't detract, but causes this fragrance to smell even better. The citrus opening is sharp and slightly strange, but the strangeness is very short lived and this turns into one of the more enjoyable frags I've tried in a while. I love cypress and all things conifer, so this is a must have for me. As mentioned, this does smell somewhat like TF's Italian Cypress because it is a cypress centric fragrance, but it is fresh, where the TF is more smokey, tobaccoey around the edges. Thumbs up!

Fougère Royale by Houbigant

Welp...I finally tried Fougere Royale, albeit incredibly late to the party, I had to try this grand daddy of all fougere's! I'm glad I did, as I'm enjoying it. I definitely smell similarities to Amouage's Bracken Man. Obviously it's Amouage who has tailored Bracken Man after FR. There are still noticeable differences however. For one, Fougere Royale has a noticeable rose that is definitely not in BM. FG also has an effervescent/fizzy quality especially in the opening that is not unlike soda pop. It's a light soda...sort of what a "fern" ale would smell like if crafted in the manner of a ginger ale. Oddly, there is also a slight grape soda around the edges as well. I'm sure my attempts at describing what I smell are as strange as ever, but this is the way my smeller, "sees" things. I also pick up the cedar in Bracken Man, where there is none in FR. Finally, the heliotrope combined with the rose and orchid florals give FR just a slight smell of lip stick to my sensibilities. I like Fougere Royale and I'm glad I gave it a shot. It's not one I'd wear everyday, but it's definitely worth having in the rotation.
06th June, 2017

L'Occitan by L'Occitane

A peppery fragrance that feels fresh. I actually enjoy the shower gel more than the EDT, but If I don't over spray on the EDT, it is also highly enjoyable. As mentioned by others, I get pepper, not burnt woods. Eau des Baux and 4 Voleurs are my favorite in the L'Occitane men's line, but L'Occitane is also a nice daytime fragrance.
05th June, 2017

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma

This is a classy, wonderful fragrance. I can definitely see the comparisons to Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino in the opening, but Essenza becomes much creamier in it's soapy aspect that NP does. NP is more transparent than Essenza. Essenza is also more green in it's dry down. My wife thought it was too soapy smelling, but I love it, and enjoy the barbershop shave soap smell I get from Essenza. A big thumbs up!
05th June, 2017

Savoy Steam Eau de Parfum by Penhaligon's

This isn't bad, but I don't like it nearly as much as the Savoy Steam Eau de Cologne. They don't smell anything alike. The EDC is so light and clean smelling, whereas the EDP has a definite rose presence from start to finish on me. This is a tribute to Hammam Bouquet, but what it smells the most like to me is L'occitane's Roses et Reines Jardin Secret, which is a very green smelling rose fragrance. I think my sample will be sufficient for this one, but I'll give it another chance sometime soon...
02nd June, 2017

Santal Blush by Tom Ford

A well made fragrance that ultimately isn't something I would wear very often. There are some strange notes that just doesn't work for me. The opening has elements that aren't too bad, but the overall effect isn't my favorite. Cumin...not a note I'm interested in wearing. Carrot seed seems a little "bugsy", and, "fenugreek"...hmmm? Maybe I'm too unrefined to appreciate using fenugreek as a note in a fragrance, but I'm very familiar with the smell of plain fenugreek, and it smells like a spice used to make chicken noodle soup. It is good for clearing the sinus cavity when taken alone, but I can't vouch for that happening while wearing Santal Blush. So, at first "blush", I'm gonna have to pass on Santal Blush. This is the second sandal wood fragrance I haven't liked all that well, so maybe I just don't care for sandal wood either.
02nd June, 2017

Savoy Steam Eau de Cologne by Penhaligon's

This is a big thumbs up for me, but I need to clarify why, as it's almost as fleeting as a butterfly's breath.

This is one of the best scents I've encountered in my searching. It is SO FRESH and EXCELLENT! This is the stuff my nose desires to sniff on the open trails of my dreams.

The problem is, as I mentioned it is far too fleeting an encounter. I dabbed half of my sample on in an attempt to capture some longevity. By doing that, I was able to hold onto a faint whiff up to about 5 hours in, but it was very faint. It appears to me that you would need to buy this by the gallon and re-apply frequently to keep it's presence on your skin. Now, granted...everyone's skin reacts differently, so this might last much better on someone else, but I love it enough that I now have it in my collection. Penhaligons sells this cologne in a 6.8 oz. splash, which leads me to believe that they know it's so light you need double the amount of the EDP. The EDP smells much more like Hammam Bouquet, and both of these Savoy Steam offerings are a tribute to Hammam Bouquet, but this Eau de Cologne version is much different than both the EDP or Hammam. They call this the EDC, "Hammam Friction". Not sure what they're going for with that, but the notes listing is right up my alley. The "Primofiore" or late fall harvest lemon note is up front and wonderful with the Bergamot. The eucalyptus and rosemary mingle behind just perfectly. (I absolutely love rosemary by the way). And finally, the white cedar and fir absolute bring me to the crescendo of awesomeness that is Savoy Steam Eau de Cologne. This would be my new signature scent if it lasted longer than it does. As it is, I will be making attempts to see if I can increase it's longevity on my skin. It might be very nice layered with a nice lavender soliflore. I guess I'll just have to do some experimentation. I would definitely recommend trying a sample, as you may be highly disappointed with the longevity. I however love this enough that I just had to have it.
01st June, 2017

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

A beautiful, fresh and classy fragrance. Nice citrus opening, followed by the barbershop clean vibe. There is a nuttiness I smell in Colonia that I also smell in Penhaligons Bayolea. Since Colonia is the grandaddy of them all, it seems to me that everyone else is trying to be like Colonia. Very happy to have this in my collection. Trying to decide if it's worth having Essenza in my collection as well, or if I'm good with just having Colonia (Original). This is very enjoyable. As everyone else has already indicated, the only issue I have with it is the short duration of the fragrance. It is a cologne after all though, so no one should go into this thinking they're going to get a powerhouse performer. What you will get is a wonderful fragrance that brings good feelings and then dissapears sooner than you wish it would. Still, an excellent addition to the rotation.
22nd May, 2017

Neroli Portofino Forte by Tom Ford

Neroli Portofino Forte pumps up the fruit flavored cereal vibe. This smells more like Heeley's Oranges and Lemons say the Bells of St. Clemens now than the original Neroli Portofino, which has the more soapy aspect. I like this one, but not as much as the original. If you want the sweet fruit aspect to be more up front than it is in the original, then this might be the answer you've been looking for. A thumbs up, but not worth buying when I already have Neroli Portofino.
17th May, 2017

Bigelow Barber Cologne Elixir White No. 1585 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

I owned Elixir White and loved it. However, it was such a headache inducer for me that I had to give it to a friend. It is an amazing fragrance for the price, as already mentioned. It definitely has the old barbershop vibe...perhaps more so than any other frag I've tried. I may have to pick up another bottle and see if I can make it work with just a few light sprays. It really is a nice fragrance.
16th May, 2017

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

A highly understated fougere, which seems appropriate based on it's British origins. The opening is excellent and transitions into a light fern that flirts with the Penhaligons English Fern sharpness, but is tempered by a peppermint note that calms everything down. There is also a green lavender note, but it smells more of the stem just below the flower, or the stem mixed with the flower and is faint. This is a very wearable fragrance and shouldn't offend anyone by taking over the room when you enter. It's close to the body and very refreshing. It's what Roadster by Cartier wishes in it's synthetic heart it could be when it grows up, but just won't ever become. Oxford & Cambridge is a special frag that smells fresh and real to me. I do wish it had more longevity and projected a bit more, but perhaps that was never the intention with this fragrance. Based on what it is, and what it does so well, I'd hazard to guess that it's creators intended it to be exactly what it is, a classy, fresh smelling, white shirt and tie affair that disappears into wispiness far sooner that you wish it would. But, it does leave you wanting more, and the desire for the unattainable is one of the great pursuits of life after all.
16th May, 2017

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

Patrick is a wonderful fragrance for a rainy day, which shouldn't be surprising, as it's made on the rainy isle of Ireland. They know what goes well with the smell of damp air and green growing things. Seriously, this fragrance smells wonderful on a breezy, rainy day like it was today. It wafts up in the breeze with a slight soapy aspect, but with a foody one as well. Patrick smells of cinnamon and nutmeg with a slight milky quality. I read a review of Serge Lutens Arabie that said it smelled like horchata, but honestly, Patrick has more of that vibe to my nose than Arabie does. Arabie smells of dirty spices, while Patrick has more of the sweet dessert spice smell...at least to me. This is a great scent that's very wearable and is a great value for the money. I recommend this fine fragrance to anyone who likes to smell fresh, and slightly...just ever so slightly...tasty as well. :-) Two thumbs up for Patrick!
25th April, 2017

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

A beautiful fragrance that is very wearable. So light, but with enough body to transport your positive emotions on it's soft, sweet, suede wafts of powder. I'm not a lover of powdery scents, but Daim Blonde isn't just a powdery scent, it has it's own understated but desirable quality that speaks for itself. I've only worn it once, but I already love it. Another bottle worthy Lutens to be sure.
23rd April, 2017

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

A nice citrus/orange opening. The transition to the "vert" portion begins within the first 30 to 45 minutes, with the vestiges of the citrus still remaining. I pick up a "corn chip" vibe from Concentre D' Orange Vert like I did from Dior's Granville. It's not as pronounced as it was in Granville, but I do smell it. 6 hours in now, and I still smell this fragrance, but it's gone from something refreshing to a deodorant spray. It smells like someone has put deodorant over body odor. When I got home from work, I asked my wife what this smelled like. Her exact words with no mention from me of my impression were, "It smells like someone's sprayed deodorant on to try and cover body odor". And, just to clarify, I sprayed CDOV on my neck and face, not my arm pits. So, there's no reason it should smell like B.O. I'll try it again soon and see if I get the same results. The opening is good, but the dry down was not good, so a neutral for now from me.
20th April, 2017

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Noir de Noir, a rose fragrance with patchouli and truffle. I'm not into Turkish Delight or rose flavored truffles for that matter. I can tell that Elizabeth & James Nirvana Rose used Noir de Noir in some ways as a template. Noir de Noir is better made, but it's still not my style. Of the rose centric fragrances I've tried, Rose Flash by Andy Tauer is the one I've felt was the most accessible on my skin, but Royal Mayfair by Creed is the fragrance with a rose note that I've enjoyed the most out of all the rose notes for men that I've tried. Noir de Noir is for some, just not for me.
18th April, 2017

Vert des Bois by Tom Ford

Vert de Bois was a pleasant surprise! Based on the listed notes, I was expecting to absolutely love Vert d' Encens. It looked like it would be a coniferous dream, but alas...the pine resin, etc., listed was all but non existant as it was a heliotrope explosion.

Vert de Bois however is a fresh, clean, green scent that brings a smile to my face! It has a soapy aspect that has just a small hint of Cypres Musc by Creed. It doesn't really smell like Cypres Musc per se, and it doesn't have the bright cypress note that Cypres Musc has. It does have a hint of CM's soapiness with a wonderful green aspect of it's own that is very pleasing. Vert de Bois is much nicer than Vert d' Encens or Vert Boheme. A great fragrance to add to the collection! Nice job on this one TF...
17th April, 2017

Sova by Slumberhouse

Interesting to read the reviews on Sova. My experience has been a good one, but I haven't smelled many of the things I've read that others have.

Sova opened with a very nice caramel smell, but one that had a strange note as well. It took me a moment to recognize it, but I finally realized it smelled like a burning smell, and to be more accurate, like the smell the belt on my vacuum has when it's slipping and starts to burn a little. It was a strange smell, but it didn't last too long, and once it was gone, Sova just smelled so wonderful all day. To me, Sova smells like caramel popcorn. Not just like caramel popcorn, there are spices going on as well, but this caramel popcorn smell is the bomb. It's an ultra buttery caramel popcorn. Absolutely delicious smelling to my nose. Sova seemed very linear to me once the slight burned rubber smell left. The rest of the day the buttery caramel corn smell hung with me, and I really enjoyed it a lot. I'd love to have a bottle of Sova in my collection. Excellent fragrance in my opinion.
16th April, 2017