Reviews by Scent Detective

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

A beautiful, fresh and classy fragrance. Nice citrus opening, followed by the barbershop clean vibe. There is a nuttiness I smell in Colonia that I also smell in Penhaligons Bayolea. Since Colonia is the grandaddy of them all, it seems to me that everyone else is trying to be like Colonia. Very happy to have this in my collection. Trying to decide if it's worth having Essenza in my collection as well, or if I'm good with just having Colonia (Original). This is very enjoyable. As everyone else has already indicated, the only issue I have with it is the short duration of the fragrance. It is a cologne after all though, so no one should go into this thinking they're going to get a powerhouse performer. What you will get is a wonderful fragrance that brings good feelings and then dissapears sooner than you wish it would. Still, an excellent addition to the rotation.
22nd May, 2017

Neroli Portofino Forte by Tom Ford

Neroli Portofino Forte pumps up the fruit flavored cereal vibe. This smells more like Heeley's Oranges and Lemons say the Bells of St. Clemens now than the original Neroli Portofino, which has the more soapy aspect. I like this one, but not as much as the original. If you want the sweet fruit aspect to be more up front than it is in the original, then this might be the answer you've been looking for. A thumbs up, but not worth buying when I already have Neroli Portofino.
17th May, 2017

Bigelow Barber Cologne Elixir White No. 1585 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

I owned Elixir White and loved it. However, it was such a headache inducer for me that I had to give it to a friend. It is an amazing fragrance for the price, as already mentioned. It definitely has the old barbershop vibe...perhaps more so than any other frag I've tried. I may have to pick up another bottle and see if I can make it work with just a few light sprays. It really is a nice fragrance.
16th May, 2017

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

A highly understated fougere, which seems appropriate based on it's British origins. The opening is excellent and transitions into a light fern that flirts with the Penhaligons English Fern sharpness, but is tempered by a peppermint note that calms everything down. There is also a green lavender note, but it smells more of the stem just below the flower, or the stem mixed with the flower and is faint. This is a very wearable fragrance and shouldn't offend anyone by taking over the room when you enter. It's close to the body and very refreshing. It's what Roadster by Cartier wishes in it's synthetic heart it could be when it grows up, but just won't ever become. Oxford & Cambridge is a special frag that smells fresh and real to me. I do wish it had more longevity and projected a bit more, but perhaps that was never the intention with this fragrance. Based on what it is, and what it does so well, I'd hazard to guess that it's creators intended it to be exactly what it is, a classy, fresh smelling, white shirt and tie affair that disappears into wispiness far sooner that you wish it would. But, it does leave you wanting more, and the desire for the unattainable is one of the great pursuits of life after all.
16th May, 2017

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

Patrick is a wonderful fragrance for a rainy day, which shouldn't be surprising, as it's made on the rainy isle of Ireland. They know what goes well with the smell of damp air and green growing things. Seriously, this fragrance smells wonderful on a breezy, rainy day like it was today. It wafts up in the breeze with a slight soapy aspect, but with a foody one as well. Patrick smells of cinnamon and nutmeg with a slight milky quality. I read a review of Serge Lutens Arabie that said it smelled like horchata, but honestly, Patrick has more of that vibe to my nose than Arabie does. Arabie smells of dirty spices, while Patrick has more of the sweet dessert spice smell...at least to me. This is a great scent that's very wearable and is a great value for the money. I recommend this fine fragrance to anyone who likes to smell fresh, and slightly...just ever so slightly...tasty as well. :-) Two thumbs up for Patrick!
25th April, 2017

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

A beautiful fragrance that is very wearable. So light, but with enough body to transport your positive emotions on it's soft, sweet, suede wafts of powder. I'm not a lover of powdery scents, but Daim Blonde isn't just a powdery scent, it has it's own understated but desirable quality that speaks for itself. I've only worn it once, but I already love it. Another bottle worthy Lutens to be sure.
23rd April, 2017

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

A nice citrus/orange opening. The transition to the "vert" portion begins within the first 30 to 45 minutes, with the vestiges of the citrus still remaining. I pick up a "corn chip" vibe from Concentre D' Orange Vert like I did from Dior's Granville. It's not as pronounced as it was in Granville, but I do smell it. 6 hours in now, and I still smell this fragrance, but it's gone from something refreshing to a deodorant spray. It smells like someone has put deodorant over body odor. When I got home from work, I asked my wife what this smelled like. Her exact words with no mention from me of my impression were, "It smells like someone's sprayed deodorant on to try and cover body odor". And, just to clarify, I sprayed CDOV on my neck and face, not my arm pits. So, there's no reason it should smell like B.O. I'll try it again soon and see if I get the same results. The opening is good, but the dry down was not good, so a neutral for now from me.
20th April, 2017

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Noir de Noir, a rose fragrance with patchouli and truffle. I'm not into Turkish Delight or rose flavored truffles for that matter. I can tell that Elizabeth & James Nirvana Rose used Noir de Noir in some ways as a template. Noir de Noir is better made, but it's still not my style. Of the rose centric fragrances I've tried, Rose Flash by Andy Tauer is the one I've felt was the most accessible on my skin, but Royal Mayfair by Creed is the fragrance with a rose note that I've enjoyed the most out of all the rose notes for men that I've tried. Noir de Noir is for some, just not for me.
18th April, 2017

Vert des Bois by Tom Ford

Vert de Bois was a pleasant surprise! Based on the listed notes, I was expecting to absolutely love Vert d' Encens. It looked like it would be a coniferous dream, but alas...the pine resin, etc., listed was all but non existant as it was a heliotrope explosion.

Vert de Bois however is a fresh, clean, green scent that brings a smile to my face! It has a soapy aspect that has just a small hint of Cypres Musc by Creed. It doesn't really smell like Cypres Musc per se, and it doesn't have the bright cypress note that Cypres Musc has. It does have a hint of CM's soapiness with a wonderful green aspect of it's own that is very pleasing. Vert de Bois is much nicer than Vert d' Encens or Vert Boheme. A great fragrance to add to the collection! Nice job on this one TF...
17th April, 2017

Sova by Slumberhouse

Interesting to read the reviews on Sova. My experience has been a good one, but I haven't smelled many of the things I've read that others have.

Sova opened with a very nice caramel smell, but one that had a strange note as well. It took me a moment to recognize it, but I finally realized it smelled like a burning smell, and to be more accurate, like the smell the belt on my vacuum has when it's slipping and starts to burn a little. It was a strange smell, but it didn't last too long, and once it was gone, Sova just smelled so wonderful all day. To me, Sova smells like caramel popcorn. Not just like caramel popcorn, there are spices going on as well, but this caramel popcorn smell is the bomb. It's an ultra buttery caramel popcorn. Absolutely delicious smelling to my nose. Sova seemed very linear to me once the slight burned rubber smell left. The rest of the day the buttery caramel corn smell hung with me, and I really enjoyed it a lot. I'd love to have a bottle of Sova in my collection. Excellent fragrance in my opinion.
16th April, 2017

Rume by Slumberhouse

Grateful I didn't blind buy a full bottle of Rume. Granted, it's pretty difficult to find, but I'm sure patience would pay off in time if someone was looking for a full bottle. My advice however would be to get a small sample before considering a blind buy with this one. Let's see...where to begin. At the beginning I guess.

The opening is the straight up smell of fermentation. This is 100 proof red wine for the first 10 minutes. I love many fragrances that have alcoholic beverage notes. Gin, scotch, cognac, bourbon, etc. Rume's wino breath in the opening however smells like fermented prunes. Another smell this reminds me of is an old time health remedy my mother used to give me as a kid called, Beef, Iron, and Wine, so there is a home remedy tonic presence to Rume. As the scent develops, the spices begin to increase and add to the overall fragrance, which helps it in my opinion. This is when it starts to take on some of the potpourri vibe. After a few hours I smelled the hay accord that some have mentioned. I don't smell the cola note that many have said they smelled, but I did have several people say they could smell a cola like scent with Rune, so I guess it must be there. My nose still smells, prune wine or strong red wine with some spice and hay accord. At around the 6 hour mark I felt the composition had melded into a nicer presence. I also noticed the praline note which indeed has a nutty quality. Honestly, Rume isn't very accessible for the average person looking for an enjoyable fragrance to wear. This one requires work and patience from the perspective of the wearer. It would also require patience from the people around you as you wore it. My first reaction was, "yuck". But as I had patience and let it develop over the course of the day, I came to appreciate things about Rume. I don't need a full bottle by any means, but I'll continue to check it out from time to time, and who knows, maybe if I "Rume"inate long enough in this stuff I'll come to actually want more than a sample. At present though a sample is ample. Neutral for now...
15th April, 2017

Olibanum by Profumum

Tried Olibanum by Profumum today for the first time. It has now officially jumped to the top of my wish list. Profumum does such a nice job with it's fragrances. I've tried quite a few of them and own several of them as well. Olibanum is a wonderful resinous journey. I even found a hint of a coniferous woodiness to it in the dry down. What a gem this one is. My only complaint is I wish it had more longevity. Perhaps it's better when sprayed on rather than dabbed on from a sample. Beyond that though, this is a winner in my book. I would have to put it in the potential signature scent category. I also found a vetiver like note in the dry down even though it isn't listed in the notes for Olibanum. There's a part during the dry down where this reminded me just a little bit of Sycamore by Chanel. Sycamore is more transparent, whereas Olibanum is much more dense in character however. I'll be getting a bottle of this one as soon as I may...a fabulous olfactory experience!
14th April, 2017

Oranges and Lemons say the bells of St Clement's by Heeley

Oranges and Lemons say the Bells of St. Clemens. Well, I say...."Tricks are for Kids". Seriously though, this opens with sweet neroli, orange and lemon notes. I love neroli, but this smells more of sugared fruit flavored kids cereal than any other citrus based opening I've smelled yet. It is nice, but it also disappears rapidly, and when I say rapidly, I mean within 5 minutes it has lost more than half of it's presence. It literally went from having sillage to being a close skin scent in 5 minutes. That's poor performance in my book, especially for the money this fragrance costs. I was going to rate it as a neutral because as I said, I love neroli, but this performed so poorly that I can't see how tit could be anything but a negative rating, even though it's a pleasant enough scent...for about 20 minutes...and then it's gone. At least it was on me. Pretty sad really.
07th April, 2017

Nirvana Rose by Elizabeth and James

This smells like rose and patchouli to my nose. It actually smells something like Rose Flash by Andy Tauer. Rose Flash is better in my opinion, but Nirvana Rose isn't too bad. It doesn't smell quite as well made, or as well blended as the Tauer creation, but it's worth sniffing if you're into the rose.
01st April, 2017

Chesapeake Bay Spyce by Coastal Fragrance

Chesapeake Bay Spyce Cologne by Costal Fragrance is a hidden gem! I want to give a shout out to Possum-Pie from right here on Basenotes for making me aware of this wonderful fresh fragrance. It smells amazing from the bayberry note that it's infused with. This is a cologne/aftershave type fragrance, so of course, it doesn't have great sillage or longevity under normal circumstances. I've discovered however, that if I put on a moisturizing aftershave balm, let that dry a bit, then put just a touch of some facial lotion on a let that dry before applying the CBSC that I get excellent results with regards to longevity. When I did that, this wonderful frag lasted all day on my face and neck. This can also be purchased for a decent price and is a pretty good value. Some might say this smells like the olden days, or like an older gentleman's aftershave, but I think it's one of the very best aftershave scents available and would highly recommend you try it if you like the original Old Spice after shave and the like. One thing to keep in mind is that this product is marketed with many different packages depending on the region it's being sold in, but it is the same fragrance. It's sold in gift shops on the warf under the seaside labels, and in gift shops in the Ozarks with the old time mountain type label. I highly recommend trying this excellent fragrance...two thumbs up!
29th March, 2017

Grev Limited Cask by Slumberhouse

A departure from from all other Slumberhouse fragrances I've tried. Grev is much more transparent in nature than the thickness of scent that resides in Josh Lobbs other amazing olfactory concoctions. This review is for the Grev limited Cask version, which by all reports pulls the clove way down from the original. I believe this, as the clove in this version doesn't sit far out in front at all. This opened with a brightness that was very fleeting. It almost felt citrus, like a bit of bergamot in the opening although nothing like that is listed in the notes at all. As I said, it was VERY fleeting, and almost immediately changes to a minty vibe that has some of the Cartier Roadster feel. This mintiness stayed throughout the wear for me although it becomes more a part of the overall scent as time passes. I read from some other reviews of Grev that there is a "wet plaster" smell that develops. For me, the other powerful note I got was the atmospheric smell that is prevalent in Imaginary Authors Every Storm a Serenade. Grev has that same vibe in a major way. The first time I wore Grev, I was hoping for the pine note mentioned in the original EDP. I found zero pine in the limited cask version. So, on my second wear, I put some fir essential oil on as a base and then sprayed the Grev on top of that. Mmmm...that hit the mark and took Grev in the direction I was originally hoping for. The added coniferous note lasted and mingled with the mintiness and atmospheric notes of the Grev in a very enjoyable way! I'm excited to add Grev to my collection and will enjoy it for a long time to come...
24th March, 2017

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Wake up and smell the vetiver!

That's what I did this morning when I put Chanel's Sycamore on. It's a straight shot of vetiver with some juniper thrown in for good measure. This smells really nice. A powder vibe sets in as this dries down, but it's not problematic at all. I'm going to try and pick up the cypress in the next few wears, but so far, I'm getting, vetiver, vetiver, vetiver, a little juniper, and the a for mentioned powdery note. This is a classy fragrance. Transparent, fragrant, well blended, and just plain excellent. It is full bottle worthy for sure, but it's a bit on the pricey side. I would love to add it to my collection however, one day...
19th March, 2017

Jeke by Slumberhouse

Jeke is not what I was expecting. I knew it was a tobacco heavy fragrance and that accord is definitely there. But, it is very dense, and each of the other notes are also noticeable during the length of the wear. I have enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I was expecting a Fumidus type experience before wearing Jeke, but instead, I've had a very nice day with this smokey, tobacco laden, woody thickness. That's the word that fits Jeke..."thickness". It feels as dense as smearing molasses on oneself, but in a good way. I must admit that I'm becoming more and more a fan of Josh Lobb's work with each Slumberhouse fragrance I try. Aside from New Sibet, which I just haven't been able to get into, I have loved each one of his creations. Thumbs definitely up for Jeke!
16th March, 2017

Kiste by Slumberhouse

I've worn Gin, Cognac, and Bourbon over the last three days as I've worn Royal Mayfair, Pear & Olive, and Kiste. All three fragrances are fantastic! I was just bemused by the fact that all three of them had alcoholic beverages in their compositions. Kiste is another wonderful accord from Josh Lobb and Slumberhouse. I'm becoming more and more a fan of his unusual works. This one definitely has the boozy quality of bourbon, along with many other fabulous notes that are juxtaposed just right to create a wonderful fragrance that wafts up in enjoyable waves throughout the wear. Sillage was about 5.5 hours and I'm now 8.5 hours in, and the longevity is still going strong. Another Slumberhouse product on my must have list. The nice thing about wearing alcoholic beverages instead of ingesting them, is that I can drive without a designated driver, and still get the enjoyment out of them. Thumbs up!
15th March, 2017 (last edited: 17th March, 2017)

Pear + Olive by Slumberhouse

Wow...I finally tried Pear and Olive from Slumberhouse, and then find that it's been discontinued. I wouldn't care if I didn't LOVE IT!!!!! I want a bottle now and won't find one without being robbed in broad daylight. This is the buttery goodness I was looking for when I was sampling Mona di Orio's Vanille. While the MDO Vanille is nice, it has a sour sharpness during the wear that Pear and Olive doesn't have. This Slumberhouse fragrance is brilliant, and I wish I had gotten a bottle when I had the chance. Sadness...

Thumbs way, way up for Pear and Olive...
14th March, 2017 (last edited: 17th March, 2017)

Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée by Guerlain

Delicious is a word that comes to mind. It's not that I want to drink this fragrance, but it really does bring into my mind the type of feeling I get when something is delicious. From an olfactory perspective, fresh, classic, refined, etc. etc. etc. Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisse is excellent and highly recommended for either high fashion affairs, or jeans and a t-shirt. Versatile and fabulous. Two thumbs way up!
11th March, 2017

Roadster by Cartier

Edited review: After further review, Roadster has a synthetic character that I don't find as enjoyable as I did upon my first wearings. I'll give it some more time, but that's the latest feeling with this one.

Roadster is an enjoyable fragrance. The opening as mentioned has a nice clean mint accord that is enjoyable, but somewhat fleeting. It doesn't smell anything like toothpaste as some have stated, at least not to me. The dry down is also nice. The only issue I have is that the there's too much patchouli in the middle notes for my taste, but other than that, I enjoyed my first "test drive" with Roadster.
09th March, 2017 (last edited: 16th May, 2017)

Bleu de Chanel Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Edited Review:

A sweet opening that has a note I really like. There's almost a Barbasol shave cream to the opening. In fact, it smells quite a bit like the Jack Black hair and body wash product, which is a very good thing in my book. There's a transition after the first 45 min to an hour, and I'm not as fond of the change as I am of the opening. It takes on a synthetic woods accord in the dry down that just isn't as good as the opening, but it's still not too bad. I do like this fragrance overall and I'm glad to have it in my collection.
05th March, 2017 (last edited: 31st March, 2017)

Eternity Now for Men by Calvin Klein

Gaaahhhh! I made the mistake of putting this on my skin. It started with a decent freshness. I even smelled the coconut for a moment. Then came the dry down. Smells like sooooo many designer frags for men that I've tried, and it's a headache inducer to boot. No thanks. I've been scrubbing for a while now and it hasn't come off yet. Feel like I may need to ram some Vick's Vapo Rub up my nose to escape it!
05th March, 2017

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Mmm...this is very nice. Sweet, but not too sweet...floral, but not too floral. The vetier brings a nice balance to the lavender and iris, and the leather settles it into a delightful gentleman's fragrance that's very, eh..."suited" for formal wear. GREAT! This is another fragrance I'm going to need...I'm a sick man!
05th March, 2017

Eau de Vetyver by L'Occitane

A very nice Vetiver. I smell nutmeg and woods in the opening. The one thing I'm not totally crazy about with this one is the scent of Cashmeran, or Cashmere Woods as they're called, which is a synthetic woodnote. This is a good vetiver frag however and I would recommend anyone who likes vetiver fragrances to give it a try. After having tried this one and Guerlain's Vetiver, I have to say that I prefer the Guerlain product to this one. But, this one is still good.

Olibanum by Evocative Perfumes

Another winner from Evocative Perfumes. The opening isn't as enjoyable as the dry down on this one for me and has a miniscule sour smell. It's very slight, and is the only part of the wear that I didn't care as much for. This fragrance gets better and better as time passes however. The coniferous notes are bright and very pleasant. It's also as smooth as butter in the dry down and is just such a pleasant wear from that point forward. I'm very happy to have this fragrance oil, and again wish I could have the EDT in my collection. Thumbs up!

Siberian Fir by Evocative Perfumes

Ahhh...fir and pine sap and resin!!! This truly is a wonderful coniferous experience. I've lost myself in this resinous, sappy walk through a pine forest a couple of times now with this beautiful fragrance oil. My only regret with this product is that I can't get my greedy hands on the Siberian Fir EDT. This is truly special and I love it!!! Major kudos to Evocative Perfume for creating this beautiful fragrance! Two thumbs up as high as I can hold them!!!

Wild Bluebell by Jo Malone

Mmm...I like this one. I got a sample for my wife and she wore it today. She's also tried the Penhaligon's Bluebell previously, and I must say that Jo Malone's Wild Bluebell is much fresher smelling and enjoyable overall. It has some similar notes to the Penhaligons, but the Jo Malone fragrance outshines the Penhaligon's, which comes across more musty and synthetic to my nose. I will definitely get her a bottle of this at some point. She liked it a lot as well. Thumbs up.

Tea Collection : Earl Grey & Cucumber by Jo Malone

A dusky but clean note starts of with Earl Grey and Cucumber. Pleasant and comfortable. It feels a touch foody, but not in an annoying way. An enjoyable vibe.

A definite "tea" dry down. I'm now 9 hours post application. This reminds me of 5 o'clock au Gingembre by Serge Lutens, sans the ginger note. I don't pick up any cucumber now, it's all the tea accord at this point. I like it, but wouldn't buy a bottle.