Reviews by EXPRECDJ

Aramis Special Blend by Aramis

I am a huge fan of the Aramis line of fragrances. They are almost always very high quality scents with good performance and reasonably priced. So when I spotted Aramis 'Special Blend' I was very excited and blind bought the fragrance right away.

This is a modern take on the classic 'Aramis' by Aramis original scent, with slightly floral and fruity notes at the top, and a sweet whiskey and amber base. The opening smells very similar to Costume National Homme, so if you are a fan of that scent, you will absolutely love this.

The middle of the scent settles into a warm, boozy masculine masterpiece, with solid projection that is present without being cloying or too loud. It performs well, and being an Eau de Parfum concentration, it is thick and digs into your skin and becomes your scent. It leaves a wonderful trail but is never offensive or irritating. The notes are very well blended and lay together is nearly perfect harmony.

A base of woods, amber, and a bit of sweet tonka and what smells like the classic Aramis leather note is there and lasts for quite a while. This is the ideal fragrance for cold, winter days. You put this on with your scarf, leather jacket or winter coat and boots, and sip coffee by the fire with friends in a cafe full of stylish and attractive people.

Performance is good as it usually is with Aramis fragrances. Longevity with ten sprays (neck, chest, wrists, shoulders) is about 7-10+ hours, with several days on clothes and fabrics. Projection and sillage is heavy within the first hour, then moderate for about four hours. It lingers as a soft trail at the six hour mark until it becomes a skin scent. It is not quite as strong as the original 'Aramis' by Aramis, more of a slightly subdued version. But by no means is this a weak scent. It just has softer projection from the original version.

If you are a fan of the original 'Aramis' by Aramis or love Costume National Homme, this is a definitely must have. Powerhouse cologne lovers will also really enjoy this. This is for the mature, stylish and masculine gentleman who is 35+ years of age with confidence. Highly recommended.
28th January, 2020

Eternity Air for Men by Calvin Klein

I am a huge fan of Calvin Klein fragrances, especially from the 1980's through the 1990's. They made excellent, all-season powerful scents that had great performance at a reasonable price point. I own almost 200 fragrances, and 'Eternity', 'Escape', 'Contradiction', 'Truth', and 'CK Shock' are some of my most complimented older scents.

I received 'Eternity Air' as a gift, and being a big fan of 'Eternity', I was so excited to spritz this on and experience it. I kept seeing a lot of bottles at discounters everywhere but never bought it, and now I see why its there and I am glad I never purchased it.

This scent is a massive failure by Calvin Klein and a huge disappointment. The last decade for CK has been full of poor performing flankers from the brand. 'Eternity Air' is no different and this one is easily one of the worst ever.

I gave myself ten sprays (neck, shoulders, chest, wrists) and went to an indoor house party, and never got one compliment. No one could smell me. I couldn't even smell myself. The initial blast smells like a mix of 'Eternity' and 'Eternity Aqua' blended evenly. I don't pick up any ambergris or patchouli at all.

For about five minutes, this smells amazing. Very fresh, very similar to 'Eternity Aqua', but watered down to basically a body spray because in less than 30 minutes you don't smell anything. I had to bury my nose into my shirt to smell this one an hour after applying. Maybe in high heat this would project or last, but I highly doubt that. It is extremely weak and light.

There is no middle or base to speak of, as it doesn't last long enough to experience it. This is one of the weakest scents by Calvin Klein ever, and a total waste of money. At $10, this would still not be worth it. The sad part, is it smells amazing for about the first 15 minutes.

The second time I wore this, I used about 20-25 sprays (neck, wrists, chest, shoulders, thighs). Smelled amazing for about 30 minutes but became a skin scent within one hour. I left the house for work and by the time I got to the office it wasn't projecting at all. No compliments, no one smelled anything and commented on anything. No projection, no sillage. Terrible.

Unless you plan on bringing the bottle and applying every 30 minutes, just buy 'Eternity Aqua' and skip this. That fragrance last a good 5-7+ hours and has fairly good performance for a fresh scent. This scent is a light blue colored bottle of water with a very small hint of 'Eternity' and 'Eternity Aqua' DNA and nothing more. Not recommended under any circumstances.
26th December, 2019

K by Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabbana

I have mainly lost all interest in Dolce & Gabbana as a fragrance house after the disappointing release of 'The One' (Eau de Parfum), so I did not expect much from the new 'K' but was willing to take it home and give them another shot because I enjoyed 'Light Blue' (Intense) and 'Light Blue' (Swimming in Lipari). But, just like 'The One', this fragrance is very soft, does not project very well and has poor longevity. And just like when I bought 'The One' and 'The One (EDP), I'm very disappointed.

The opening is nice and strong, a blast of citrus, berries and geranium which lasts for about 20 minutes before it settles into a very strange, cleaning products type of smell. The pimento and geranium mixed with blood orange just smells a bit 'off', like you spilled some household cleaner on yourself. This middle section lasts the longest time, but also kills the fragrance. It just doesn't work at all. The drydown and base is soft woods and patchouli, but by this time you can barely smell anything at all.

Total longevity, even testing with a dozen sprays (neck, chest, shoulders and wrists) is only about four hours, but after the first hour or so, this becomes a complete skin scent and doesn't project or linger at all. Spraying over clothes is a must for any type of sillage or longevity. Unless someone is hugging you or smelling your neck, no one will smell you. The only compliments I got was when I asked women to smell me directly where I sprayed this, and only within minutes of applying. Performance is just not there on this one.

The opening really grabs you in the store with its strong citrus, berries and geranium notes, so you end up buying it and taking it home only to be disappointed by its poor performance later when you give it a full wearing. Just like D&G's 'The One', YSL's 'Y' and plenty of other designer fragrances releases as of late. They release a weak, muted scent with poor performance but a great opening, and then years later release a stronger EDP or Intense flanker but even the 'stronger' flanker has average performance with about six hours longevity.

My guess is D&G will come out with a stronger 'K' (Intense) or 'K' (Eau de Parfum) flanker eventually, which is the version they should have released in the first place instead of this weak skin scent. If this were priced at $30 and under, it could sell all day everyday. But at nearly $100 for 100ml, this is complete garbage. Look for this at your nearest discounters very soon for less than half of retail prices, and even that would be too expensive for this fragrance.

The only place I see this being 'King' is in a close indoor office environment, because it's so soft it won't offend anyone, but it also won't gather compliments either. So if you want to be 'King' of the office by smelling like household cleaning solution, grab this. Otherwise, I don't recommend this at all.
07th September, 2019

Tommy Bahama for Him by Tommy Bahama

Tommy Bahama for Men is an instant classic, an aquatic summer scent that will stay in my wardrobe and get purchased regularly whenever I see it without a second thought. This stuff is simple, projects beautifully and lasts all day, and I can't tell you how many beautiful ladies close their eyes and compliment me when I wear this. Women love this scent.

The initial notes give off pear, apple, musk and a hint of amber and lavender. A very aquatic, oceanfront smell that is both youthful while being mature, sporty without the citrus and summery without the sweetness. Its perfect. It is nearly identical to Nautica's 'Voyage', before its weaker reformulation. This is the original, full strength, eight hours plus classic Nautica 'Voyage' with great projection and moderate sillage.

As it calms down, the apple, lavender and musk notes settle in, and it projects and lingers everywhere you go. Tommy Bahama fragrances usually don't last very long or project very well at all, but this stuff is breathtaking. Simple, but very effective and easy for anyone to love.

The base of musk, amber and hints of pear, apple and woods carry on for a good 7-10+ hours of longevity with eight to ten sprays (chest, shoulders, neck and wrists). I smell it on my pillow, clothes and jackets for several days and women love to smell it on their sheets, skin and clothes after date night.

I'm so glad I finally decided to try this masterpiece out, it is an essential classic in my book and an absolute must have spring and summer scent for any serious fragrance collector. If you love Nautica 'Voyage', you will love this. Highly recommended.
06th August, 2019

London by English Laundry

English Laundry 'London' smells about 85% similar to Creed 'Aventus' on its dry down, and would be a legendary fragrance all on its own if the performance matched the rest of the English Laundry line. With a liberal ten or more sprays (neck, chest, shoulders and wrists), longevity is still only about four hours, with most of that life spent close to the skin.

It does last about 5-7+ hours on clothing and fabrics, so spraying over clothes is a must. Projection is ok for the first fifteen to thirty minutes, but then it dries down dramatically fast after that. Sillage is very soft as well. Someone has to be right on you or hugging you to smell this scent, but when they do they will enjoy it. If 'Aventus' made an Eau de Cologne or really an Eau Fraiche concentration flanker, this would be it. It says Eau de Parfum on the label but if so this is the weakest EDP I've ever come across.

For the price, you can buy at least a dozen bottles of this at discounters for the price of one 100ml bottle of Creed's 'Aventus', so in that respect, it's definitely a good value. You can go crazy on the trigger and not worry about the price. I have 'Club de Nuit Intense' and 'L'Aventure', which both are about 99% and 95% repectively similar to Creed 'Aventus' with better performance than 'Aventus' in my testings. I would actually suggest buying those two and this fragrance for the following reason.

'Club de Nuit Intense' is the strongest by far and perfect for a night out clubbing or barhopping. 'L'Aventure' is a bit lighter but still has great performance, so its more suited for daytime events and being outdoors. English Laundry's 'London' is very toned down and subtle, so its better suited for being indoors in an intimate setting like a Netflix and cuddle evening or before bed with your lady where you don't necessarily want or need strong sillage or projection. It that setting, this scent is perfect and has the right amount of sillage for the situation where the other two would be too strong and aggressive on the nose.

All three of the above mentioned fragrances can be picked up for less than $100 for all three, which is still less than half the price for a 100ml bottle of Creed 'Aventus' and its 'batch issues'. For the price that Creed selections go for, you shouldn't have those issues and performance should be a beastly 15+ hours, but sadly its not. Hence, why the clones are gaining in popularity.

I would NOT recommend this on its own if you're looking for a good 'Aventus' clone. But if you own 'Club de Nuit Intense' and 'L'Aventure' already, this might be a nice addition for wearing in the right setting. It smells absolutely amazing once it dries down and settles, but the huge problem is that moment lasts less than an hour before its a skin scent and then its completely gone a couple hours later. Still, definitely recommended if you can pick it up cheap as a bedtime intimacy or cuddle fragrance and you love the scent character of Creed 'Aventus'.
05th August, 2019 (last edited: 06th August, 2019)

Neroli Portofino Acqua by Tom Ford

Great fragrance for women, but definitely not for men in my opinion. Maybe if you’re a softer, smooth hands type of guy that works in a cosmetics department or is a hair stylist or something feminine like that for a career. Masculine men though, steer clear of this.

I received Tom Ford’s ‘Neroli Portofino Acqua’ as a gift and was so excited to smell it as I couldn’t believe someone would gift me such an expensive fragrance. As soon as I sprayed it, i knew it was special, but special for a woman, definitely not a manly scent by any means.

My girlfriend smelled this one and said ‘wow that smells amazing, I would wear that’. She said it was definitely more for women, and although it smelled magnificent, it’s just not for me. So I gave the bottle to her, and man she smells so wonderful.

Citrus, neroli, white musk, marine accords and floral notes abound on this. Performance is very good, and sillage is ever present without being cloying or offensive. Longevity is about 8-10+ hours with eight sprays (neck, chest, shoulders, wrists) and I can still smell my woman when she comes home from work.

I really love this scent. Although it is not for me or any masculine man, it is a very sexy and seductive fragrance for a woman. Highly recommended in that regard. Wonderful gift for mature women over thirty.
23rd October, 2018 (last edited: 13th December, 2018)

Voyage N-83 by Nautica

I absolutely love the original Nautica 'Voyage', as it is quite simply one of the best summer fragrances in the past decade that is super cheap, has great performance and gets amazing compliments every time I wear it. So I was excited to pick up 'Voyage N-83'. What a disappointment.

The top notes are very similar to the original 'Voyage', but much softer. It smells like a nice sport body wash scent, somewhat aquatic with a splash or melon and marine accords. The base has a touch of lavender and musk, but not much. The sad part is if this had more fragrance oils and better quality, it would be quite amazing. However, it doesn't. Not at all.

The performance on this is simply non-existent. From the moment you spray this on, it dries down and fades extremely fast. I am talking within an hour it becomes a skin scent. Longevity, even with a dozen sprays is less than two hours.

It has almost no sillage, and projection is also nowhere to be found on this. Showering yourself in this cologne won't help it last longer, it just doesn't have the performance or quality for it. On skin its about an hour or two, and on fabrics and clothes you may get two hours at most.

It seems most of the 'Voyage' flankers (Sport, N-83, Island, Summer) all have very poor performance and longevity, so stick with the original 'Voyage' and don't even bother with the others. They aren't worth owning at any price.
27th August, 2018 (last edited: 07th October, 2018)

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I first discovered Joop! Pour Homme in the early 1990's and I remember being confused as to whether it was for women or men (pink liquid, super sweet, etc). I didn't know the difference between Eau de Toilette or Pour Homme or Parfum. I liked the scent,and two dabs on the neck lasted the entire day. This is one of the most powerful and potent scents you will come across in an EDT concentration. A true 80's and early 90's powerhouse in every sense of the word.

The initial blast is a wonderful blend of vanilla, cherry, amber and tonka bean, which projects extremely well and is quite sexy for a vanilla and cherry based men's fragrance. It is synthetic, and can be somewhat offensive in the first hour as it projects at least ten feet away and is very sweet and syrupy until it settles down.

After the first couple hours, this scent becomes a masterpiece. The amber comes out and balances out the cherry and vanilla notes. It smells very sweet but also very potent and masculine. A base of musk, tonka bean, vanilla, amber carries on throughout the life of this fragrance, and it smells better the longer you wear it.

With a liberal application of about ten sprays to the neck, chest, wrists and shoulders, I usually get a fantastic 15-18+ hours of longevity, with several days and even weeks on clothes and fabrics. After the first ten hours, it calms down but still projects really well, especially in cold weather. Even with a modest six sprays, this will last you easily over 10-12+ hours.

It performs superbly in spring and fall weather, especially outdoors, but is better suited for colder weather as the sweetness can be cloying in high summer heat. Sillage is powerful on this juice. This is a perfect nightclub, night on the town, evening out type of fragrance. And I always get compliments from gorgeous ladies and even guys when I wear this. Women love sweet, gourmand scents and especially amber based fragrances, so Joop! fits perfectly.

All in all, this is a fantastic scent that never fails to get compliments whenever I wear it. This is for a well dressed, clean shaven, muscular, preppy and intelligent man who is confident and comfortable enough to wear a pink polo shirt with club shorts and loafers. Love it or hate it, you either have what it takes to wear this scent or you don't. It is a true classic, and a masterpiece in my opinion. Highly recommended.
20th April, 2018

Greyland by Montale

Montale's 'Greyland' is for the masculine man, unshaven, muscular, well-educated with a take-charge attitude and rugged persona. Pure leather, cedarwood, patchouli, smoke and greens.

This scent literally smells like a wood shop or an old library with vintage leather everywhere and wood paneling with massive dusty old books on shelves. Picture well dressed men sitting in leather loungers smoking cigars and drinking whiskey. That's what this smells like. Women seem to really like it (to my surprise).

Good performance, lasts about six to nine hours depending on weather. Good projection and sillage. This works best and lasts longer in cold weather and winter months though. If tall, rustic, bearded and mysterious had a scent, this would be it.
03rd March, 2018

Fougères Marines by Montale

Montale 'Fougere Marines' is a wonderful fragrance for spring and summer months. This stuff smells exactly like vintage Tommy Hilfiger cologne, but with much higher quality ingredients and natural oils. There is an added splash of ocean and marine notes to balance out the sporty, body wash overtones.

Good performance, tons of compliments from the ladies, and lasts a good 7-10+ hours with eight sprays to neck, shoulders, wrists and chest. Great projection and sillage.

If you can't find vintage Tommy Hilfiger or wonder what made that fragrance and the Hilfiger brand so popular in the 1990's, this is the perfect example of that scent. Highly recommended.
02nd March, 2018

Wave for Him by Hollister

I’ve always been a fan of Abercrombie and Hollister fashions, and their branded fragrances are almost always quality scents, so it was a no brainer when I saw this on sale at Marshall’s for $26.

This is a wonderful fresh and aquatic scent, with decent performance and solid sillage. The initial blast is similar to a mix between Azzaro Chrome, Nautica Voyage and Abercrombie Fierce. It’s never cloying or fruity, it remains aquatic, sporty and sexy in a college prep sort of way.

Every time i wear this i get loads of compliments from the ladies, so it’s definitely a hit if you’re looking to attract women. Age-wise, this is ideal for the high school, college and even graduate level guy who’s sporty, muscular and rocks flip-flops or boat shoes, crisp polos and club shorts on the weekends.

The most noticeable notes are bamboo, marine notes, lavender, neroli and musk. With a liberal application of about ten sprays (neck, chest, wrists and shoulders), I am getting about six to eight hours of longevity. Projection is respectable, sillage is fairly good as well. People will definitely smell you.

You could spritz this on a dozen sprays and it smells so good no one would be offended because it’s never cloying or offensive. It literally smells like a fresh masculine body wash, but with better ingredients. A bit synthetic, but still it smells fantastic and is a cheap compliment magnet that works.

For the price, this is an easy, solid purchase and perfect for Spring and Summer months, at the pool, on the boat, at the beach or anywhere there is warm weather this works magic. Definitely recommended.
17th February, 2018 (last edited: 26th May, 2018)

F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

This is my first fragrance by Salvatore Ferragamo, and ‘F Pour Homme’ is a wonderful surprise and an great scent to have for colder temperatures. Ideally this should be worn in the coldest of Fall and especially Winter.

The initial blast is basically lavender and pepper, some cedar wood but the pepper notes dominate for the first hour or two. As it settles, more lavender and base come out and you catch whiffs of labdanum. It is very masculine and dark, sort of like a Davidoff Cool Water that has been toned down on the freshness and beefed up with pepper, cedarwood and more lavender.

Performance is outstanding. With a liberal application of ten sprays (neck, shoulders, chest and wrists) I am getting 9-12+ hours of longevity, with excellent projection and sillage.

People will smell you wearing this, and it projects about three to five feet away from you. I would say this is perfect for cold weather, nighttime outdoors situations. It gets you a lot of compliments from beautiful ladies, but again, this only works in colder weather outdoors, as the pepper is somewhat offensive in warmer temperatures.

If you love this, also pick up Ferragamo’s ‘F Black’, it is very similar to this but with additional notes of apple and sweetness and can be worn in more situations. I highly recommend both.
04th February, 2018 (last edited: 21st December, 2018)

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

What a wonderful, mature and classy fragrance. 'Grey Vetiver' by Tom Ford is a great scent for the spring, summer and even possibly fall months. This fragrance literally smells like an upscale clothing boutique or a five star luxury resort hotel and spa.

Initial blast is citrus and vetiver, with a hint of cedarwood. A dash of pepper matched to grapefruit and what seems to be bergamot are also detected. As it dries down and settles, the vetiver becomes fairly prominent and remains the dominant scent. Faintly present are a green and grassy note, with gives this scent some depth and balance.

The base is mainly vetiver and bergamot, and surprisingly the lemon and citrus top note carries itself mildly all the way through the life of the fragrance. It smells very nice, an expensive and distinguished smell that is very likable but definitely for the 30+ man who dresses to impress and is well spoken. Excellent work fragrance.

Longevity with a liberal application of about eight sprays (neck, shoulders, and chest) is about 10-12+ hours, and at least a week or so on clothes and fabrics. The projection is steady, and sillage is subtle but present and never cloying or headache inducing. You can go heavy on this without fear for a night out on the town.

This is a perfect signature fragrance for the professional man over thirty years of age who dresses well, speaks articulately and wants a scent that can be worn in any season and at any occasion that calls for class and intelligence. Smells very similar to 'Terre d'Hermes' by Hermes and 'Declaration' by Cartier.
25th January, 2018 (last edited: 24th October, 2018)

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

I've been wearing Lucky You for Men by Claiborne (now Lucky Brand) since high school. Twenty years later this scent is still a classic and must have for the Spring and Summer months. This is an essential fragrance for collectors.

First blast is fresh linens, cotton, Irish Spring soap, cardamom and a slight musky undertone. There is also some cedarwood and sandalwood for good measure. As soon as your smell it you realize nothing else out there smells like this. It is purely unique. Think fresh fabric softener matched to cedarwood and musk.

As is settles down, there's the familiar Claiborne musk note that comes along and smells fantastic. The fabric softener matched to Irish Spring soap note and is balanced out well by the base of woods and musk. Excellent smell. Masculine, fresh and sporty all at the same time.

With a liberal application of ten or so sprays (neck, shoulders, chest, wrists) I am getting 8-10+ hours of longevity, with moderate sillage and projection. This is safe for work, warmer days and close encounters. On warmer days, it performs and projects exceptionally well in the heat, and is never cloying or offensive.

Age-wise, this is more for the high school, college and early 30's set. I still wear this on hotter days in the summer, at the pool, outdoors at the lake or beach, at the gym etc. It also does very well in these environments and performs extremely well. On days when you don't want to wear any cologne or offend anyone, you wear Lucky You and smell like Irish Spring soap fresh out of the shower.

For the price, I would pick up a couple bottles of this. It's a unique, long lasting, fresh Spring and Summer fragrance that gets the job done. Highly recommended.
14th January, 2018

Bracken Man by Amouage

Wow. Another masterfully, masculine scent with great performance, sillage and longevity. Amouage's 'Bracken' is very similar to the brands other offerings 'Journey' and especially 'Fate'. The biggest difference is 'Bracken' has a very earthy, green feeling to, mainly caused by the cypress, clove and heavy patchouli base.

Cypress, lemon, bergamot, clove, nutmeg and patchouli power this beast into the next century. Its very strong, projects a good five feet out and lingers everywhere. The middle notes of cinnamon and some cedarwood come out slowly over the next few hours and settle in beautifully.

The base of patchouli and light musk is present throughout, but really begin to shine about four hours in. This is where the fragrance really becomes a masterpiece, with uncompromising masculinity and smokiness carrying on for most of the day. A classy, green, deep, dark and mysterious smell, akin to upscale Middle Eastern boutiques in someplace like Dubai or Istanbul.

Longevity with eight sprays (just neck and shoulders) was between ten to twelve hours and still going strong, with excellent projection and sillage all the way through. Skin scent would last easily 12-15+ hours. People will smell you and you will get compliments. Its lasts for up to a week or more easily on unwashed clothes or fabrics.

This is not as strong as 'Interlude' or 'Journey', but easily beats most modern fragrances in its performance and sillage. The ingredients are very high quality, and the scent is extremely well blended and crafted. Everything one can expect from the Amouage brand.

I can definitely highly recommend this to powerhouse fragrance lovers or anyone seeking pure manliness in a bottle. The price is well worth the performance and longevity you get, as one large 100ml bottle of this should last you at least a couple years using it seasonally or even once a week.
09th December, 2017

Tommy Summer Cologne 2012 by Tommy Hilfiger

I blind bought Tommy Hilfiger's 'Summer Cologne’ being as Hilfiger usually makes quality fragrances, and for under $20 in the bargain bin I just had to grab this.

The initial blast is sporty citrus, mint, watery accords and oceanic notes. A splash of grapefruit in there as well as a touch of cedarwood as a base. It smells very good, youthful and is light enough for indoor and close encounters. It is a very safe, inoffensive cologne that almost anyone would like.

With a liberal application of a dozen sprays (neck, shoulders, wrists and chest), I am getting about 4-6+ hours of longevity, with light sillage and fair projection. This is not a very strong fragrance, so unless you apply a heavy hand most people may not smell you and it just doesn't have the performance to stand out at all. Glad I didn't spend too much on it for that reason.

This can be used for office environments, short lunch dates, friend and family gatherings and definitely perfect for the gym. Outside of these situations, it just doesn't have the performance for anything outdoors, nightlife, all day gatherings or clubbing situations.

For the price, might be a worthy addition to a summer collection for anyone under 35 years old. Its a youthful, fun and sporty clean scent that can be used when you are going to be indoors, during close encounters in the warmer spring and summer months.

Bring a spare bottle with you if you want it last longer than four hours though. For that reason, I don't really recommend it to serious collectors as there are plenty of fresh fragrances out there that smell just like this and perform much better than this for about the same price.
31st July, 2017 (last edited: 28th April, 2018)

Chrome Legend by Azzaro

'Chrome Legend' by Azzaro is a very pleasant surprise and blind buy that I am very glad I took a chance on. Being a fan of the original 'Chrome', I figured this can't be a bad fragrance. I could never really wear the original version anymore as its been played out, advertised, and beaten to death for the last twenty years. Everyone knows it, so I try to not be that obvious when selecting a cologne.

The initial blast smells exactly like seawater, the ocean, saltwater. It has this strange cooling feeling because of the scent. You literally FEEL a good ten degrees cooler just smelling or spraying this stuff on. I get citrus notes, a bit of moss and vetiver, but an overwhelming smell of ocean water. It took a few wears to appreciate the complexity and uniqueness of this, but several weeks later I absolutely love the scent.

It has some similarity to the original Chrome, but is definitely less metallic, more refined. As it settles down, the citrus and sea notes match the vetiver and cedar and it screams spring and summer. A fantastic scent to wear in the high heat and humid environments. It is a fresh, aquatic with a masculine undertone that doesn't offender or irritate anyone. Overall, solid performance.

With a liberal dose of a dozen sprays (neck, shoulders, wrists and chest), I am getting 7-10 hours of longevity, with a subtle trail after the first six or seven hours. It projects fairly good, and sillage is good for the first half of its life.

I only use this in the warmer months and on the hottest of days, at the beach or at the pool, or just out on the terrace having drinks. It works perfectly in these situations and gathers a fair amount of compliments. For the price this commands, if you love the smell of the ocean, or are a fan of sporty aquatics, this will easily be an instant favorite of yours and is blind buy worthy.
20th July, 2017

Journey Man by Amouage

Another masterfully powerful, masculine scent with great performance, sillage and longevity. Amouage 'Journey' is very similar to 'Interlude', but it is a cleaner, milder and more refined version of that fragrance.

Tobacco, greens, incense, patchouli, leather. Neroli, bergamot and pepper. Its very strong, projects a good five feet out and lingers everywhere. The middle notes of incense and some patchouli come out slowly over the next few hours and settle in beautifully.

The base of tobacco, leather, tonka bean, and what smells like cedarwood are present throughout, but really begin to shine about four hours in. This is where the fragrance really becomes a masterpiece, with uncompromising masculinity and smokiness carrying on for what seems an eternity. A classy, deep, dark and mysterious smell, akin to upscale Middle Eastern boutiques in someplace like Dubai or Istanbul.

Longevity with eight sprays (neck, shoulders, and wrists) was 12-15+ hours, with excellent projection and sillage all the way through. People will smell you near and far and you will get compliments. Its lasts for several days up to a week or more on clothes and fabrics.

I can definitely highly recommend this to powerhouse fragrance lovers or anyone seeking pure manliness in a bottle. The price is well worth the performance and longevity you get, as one large 100ml bottle of this should last you at least a couple years.
18th July, 2017 (last edited: 26th July, 2017)

Azzaro pour Homme Night Time by Azzaro

This was a very surprising blind buy at TJ Maxx for only $20 which I didn't expect much from but am very glad to add to my collection. Azzaro's 'Night Time' is a citrus and rhubarb bomb with a base very similar to the original Azzaro Pour Homme, which is a classic powerhouse cologne that I love and enjoy wearing in the winter.

The initial blast is a tart and bitter orange matched to strong rhubarb over nutmeg and vetiver. It comes off powerful, loud and projects really well for the first couple hours. Rhubarb is such a particular note, you will either love it or hate it. However, it is very unique and noticeable nonetheless.

As it dries down, the cedarwood and rhubarb marry each other and it becomes very nice, not too masculine and not too sweet. Not too much citrus, not overly peppery and definitely not 'sporty' or 'aquatic' or 'fresh'. There's really nothing out there that smells like it in all the hundreds of fragrances I've sampled.

The base is vetiver and cedar, which is still overshadowed and layered under the strong rhubarb, orange and nutmeg notes which blend together not so much in harmony as they do to shine and scream 'I am different'. At times you don't know if you love, hate or are on the fence about this scent. It's very polarizing, but the female compliments comes fairly easily, so that's a big plus for me.

With a liberal application of ten sprays (neck, shoulders, chest and wrists) I am getting 6-8+ hours of longevity, with about 24 hours on clothes and fabrics. Projection and sillage is strong for the first five hours, then it dies down quickly to a skin scent.

For the price this goes for, you can't go wrong with this one in your collection. It is very unique, women seem to like it, and it projects well enough for a night out on the town at the bars, clubs or date nights. For the serious collectors, there's nothing out there that smells like this so I recommend you get it for that reason alone.
29th June, 2017 (last edited: 29th April, 2018)

Bora Bora for Men by Liz Claiborne

Being a huge fan of Claiborne scents, I've always wanted 'Bora Bora' for many years now. If you are a fan of 'Curve' and 'Mambo', you will immediately recognize the drydown of this to be extremely similar.

Initial blast is kiwi, ginger, fruit and what seems to be a tea note. Right as I sprayed this my girlfriend immediately complimented me and said 'wow that smells wonderful'. So it definitely did its job there.

It projects really well and a bit of a spicy musk undertone begins to develop as it dries down. I would like to call it the 'Claiborne' musk note, and those familiar with the brand will know what I am talking about. This comes out about an hour after spraying, and smells fantastic.

It is clean without being 'sport' or 'fresh' scented, and masculine without being dirty or dusty. The 'Curve' and 'Mambo' musk scent comes out and projects really well.

Most of if not all of the kiwi and fruity hibiscus notes fade away about an hour in and this is where this fragrance shines. It is a ginger and spice blend layered in musk and amber that is simply amazing and grabs compliments easily.

With a liberal application of a dozen sprays (neck, shoulders, wrists and chest), I am getting 7-10+ hours of longevity, with about 24-36+ hours on clothes and fabrics.

Projection is really good for the first five to six hours, and sillage is solid without being offensive or cloying. After five or six hours, it stays closer to the skin but lingers for another couple hours or so and smells very natural. This stuff lasts longer than most new fragrances that cost three times as much.

For an Eau de Cologne concentration, Claiborne always makes fragrances that perform better than most EDT's, and 'Bora Bora' is no exception. It performs and projects quite well, even in warm weather and humid climates. And for the price, you really can't go wrong here. It's great for spring and summer days, nights out on the town, date nights and safe for office environments and professional events.

I really love this scent, and if you're a fan of 'Curve', 'Mambo', 'Claiborne Sport' and others like it, you will undoubtedly enjoy 'Bora Bora'. For the price it commands, you could easily blind buy this and enjoy it. Definitely recommended.
18th June, 2017

Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani

Giorgio Armani's 'Acqua di Gio' is already the biggest selling fragrance ever, and here comes 'Profumo'. Simply a masterpiece. Hands down one of the best aquatic scents ever made. Far and above just about everything else out there. Nothing else really comes close to this. Even legendary fragrances like Dolce & Gabbana's 'Light Blue', Versace's 'Eau Fraiche', Perry Ellis '360 Red'. Nope. Not even close.

The initial blast is nearly identical to the original, with heavy dose of bergamot, floral and aquatic accords. This is much stronger and more masculine than the original, with some incense and patchouli in the base that really rounds this out so that its not so airy and light.

As it dries down, the patchouli and incense match to a light dose of spices and what seems to be a lemon-citrus note, smothered in bergamot and aquatic accords to great effect. It smells unbelievably amazing, is very synthetic but trust me you will not care one bit. Why?

Women go absolutely crazy over this. Compliments everywhere you go, from both men and women. Even though most people who know fragrances will immediately recognize this as Acqua di Gio, it is noticeably different the longer you wear it. The patchouli base comes out and gives this a more earthy, grounded scent.

With a liberal application of about ten sprays (neck, wrists, shoulders and chest), I am getting 12-15+ hours of longevity, with several weeks on clothes and fabrics. Projection and sillage is absolutely fantastic. People will definitely smell you without a doubt before they even see you. Your scent will linger in a room after you've left. Even with a light touch of two to four sprays, you will still get at least 8+ hours with this juice.

This is the perfect fragrance for spring and summer, with outstanding performance in high heat and even humid climates. It is never cloying or offensive, and well worth the price. Every single penny. Highly recommended, an absolute must have for anyone who is serious about fragrances.
18th June, 2017

Interlude Man by Amouage

Such a powerful, masculine scent with exemplary performance, sillage and longevity. Amouage 'Interlude' is easily one of, if not the most dominating fragrances I have ever encountered.

The smell reminds me of Antonio Puig's 'Quorum', a powerhouse with superb strength in its own right. Tobacco, greens, incense, patchouli, leather. 'Interlude' adds cumin, allspice, oud and woods to this mix, plus nuclear projection and sillage.

The initial blast is bergamot and spices, incense and a hint of amber. Its very strong, projects a good five feet out and lingers everywhere. The middle notes of incense and some patchouli come out slowly over the next few hours and settle in beautifully. It almost has a marijuana note at some points, which depending on your tastes, smells great or is too herbal, ethnic and off-putting.

The base of tobacco, leather, greens and oud are present throughout, but really begin to shine about four hours in. This is where the fragrance really becomes a masterpiece, with uncompromising masculinity and smokiness carrying on for what seems an eternity. A classy, deep, dark and mysterious smell, akin to upscale Middle Eastern boutiques in someplace like Dubai or Istanbul.

Longevity with just six sprays (neck, shoulders, and wrists) was 18-21+ hours, with massive projection and sillage all the way through. My girlfriend asked if I just sprayed some cologne on when I walked in the door coming home from work. I was shocked, because I sprayed this stuff on 14 hours ago that morning and it still smelled fresh to her! And it keep projecting all night long. You literally have to wash this off to get it off you. It 'becomes' you.

I find it to be funny when people say only 'one or two' sprays, then complain about the performance or lack of compliments from fragrances. With 'Interlude', you really could only use two sprays for a date night, group setting or professional engagement and be good for six to eight hours. This stuff lasts for several weeks, if not months on clothes and fabrics.

I can definitely highly recommend this to powerhouse fragrance lovers or anyone seeking pure manliness in a bottle. The price is well worth the performance and longevity you get, as one large 100ml bottle of this should last you several years.
17th June, 2017 (last edited: 13th October, 2018)

Armani Eau de Nuit Oud by Giorgio Armani

Well, Giorgio Armani's 'Armani Eau de Nuit Oud' jumps on the Oud bandwagon, so I of course tried this out expecting EDP performance and massive longevity akin to Acqua di Gio Profumo. No, this is a different conversation entirely.

The initial blast of this is somewhat offensive and stomach churning. It smells like those mosquito candles you burn to keep bugs from biting you. Seriously. My girlfriend was really upset I sprayed this on and was disgusted by it.

I can't smell much of the berganot or cardamom, i mainly got iris and oud notes, alongside geranium and saffron. It smells dirty, earthy and very ethnic. I was really about to shower this off until I decided to try it again the next morning.

I gave it a full days wearing a few days later, and after the stomach churning opening, it actually smells quite good. The oud and tonka bean really go well together, and once the iris and rose notes go away, it really is very dark and masculine.

With a liberal application of a dozen sprays (neck, shoulders, wrists and chest) is about 8-10+ hours, but with several days up to a week or more on clothing and fabrics. Once it settles in, it really does smell quite sensual and musky, which in the right setting could be wonderful.

Definitely for the cold weather months, there is no way this could ever work in any type of season besides the coldest and darkest of winter. But nestled up to a fireplace or out and about in the snowy weather, this scent would be a masterful fragrance.
17th June, 2017

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

What a wonderful, mature and classy fragrance. 'Terre D' Hermes' by Hermes is a great scent for the spring, summer and even fall months, with superb performance.

Initial blast is oranges and vetiver, with a hint of cedarwood. A hint of pepper and what seems to be floral notes are also detected. As it dries down and settles, the vetiver and orange really stay fairly prominent, layered over what is undoubtedly cedarwood and a bit of patchouli note.

The base is mainly vetiver and cedarwood, and surprisingly the orange top note carries itself mildly all the way through the life of the fragrance. It smells very nice, an expensive and distinguished smell that is very likable but definitely for the 30+ man who dresses to impress and is well spoken.

Longevity with a liberal application of a dozen sprays (neck, shoulders, chest and wrists) is about 10-12+ hours, and at least a week or two on clothes and fabrics. The projection is steady, and sillage is good and never cloying or headache inducing. Very safe for work, close encounters and professional engagements.

This is a perfect signature fragrance for the professional man over thirty years of age who dresses well, speaks articulately and wants a scent that can be worn in any season and at any occasion.
17th June, 2017

Eros by Versace

Versace Eros is a masterful fragrance and a must have alongside other Versace fragrances such as ‘Dylan Blue’, ‘Dreamer’ and ‘Versace Pour Homme’. I am reviewing a new bottle of the EDT version which has been reformulated, not the Eau de Parfum concentration.

The initial blast is vanilla, tonka bean, mint, and sweet fruit over a base of vetiver and woods. I don't get any lemon or flowery notes. It smells natural, high quality and projects extremely well. If you're not a fan of vanilla, mint or tonka bean, you will not like this fragrance. If you are, then this is a great scent you’ll instantly love. Women absolutely love this scent and go crazy for it.

The middle and base are pure vetiver and cedarwoods, with the ever present vanilla and sweet notes. With a liberal application of ten sprays (neck, chest, shoulders and wrists), I am getting about 10-12+ hours of longevity with great projection and sillage within in the first six to eight hours. Then its a subtle but ever present scent for another four to six hours. It stays on clothes and fabric for at several days up to a week or two depending on the application.

There is certainly no beast performance or nuclear sillage here anymore thanks to reformulation, so I am guessing people here are recently reviewing the EDP version or vintage bottles which last quite a bit longer and perform even better. But make no mistake, even the reformulated version has very good performance.

This smells very similar to Jacques Bogart's 'Bogart Pour Homme', which I also own but has slightly better performance and costs half the price of this. It also reminds me of JPG's 'Le Male’.

I will likely add the EDP concentration to my collection, plus a large 200ml vintage bottle of this. Its definitely more for nightlife and clubbing situations, very youthful and sexy in that sense and gets TONS of compliments. I would likely only use it in these type of situations. Women seem to love it so whatever works. High recommended.
04th June, 2017 (last edited: 06th May, 2018)

Déclaration by Cartier

'Declaration' by Cartier smells like an expensive five star hotel room should smell. Plain and simple. Not masculine, not sporty or fresh, like a pricey suite with fresh linens and air fresheners built into the air conditioning.

The initial blast is bergamot and woods, through and through. A freshly squeezed lemon blended with heavy bergamot. It smells very good and classy, sophisticated and masculine without being dark or musky.

The base and drydown is pure vetiver and cedarwood, while still the bergamot note carries and features prominently. There is a little peppery note to it as well.

Longevity with a dozen sprays (neck, chest, shoulders and wrists) is 10-12+ hours, with good projection and sillage similar to most Cartier fragrances. Lasts several days and up to a week or more on clothes and fabrics.

I really love this, especially for the office environment or any type of professional or dress to impress engagements when you are wearing a suit. Definitely recommended.
04th June, 2017 (last edited: 18th June, 2017)

La Nuit de L'Homme L'Intense by Yves Saint Laurent

Well, I finally got around to getting a small bottle of 'La Nuit de L'Homme Intense', even though I really wanted a vintage bottle of the original 'La Nuit de L'Homme'. Thinking this would suffice, I grabbed this with no hesitation. And, well, I am very dissapointed. YSL's own 'Kouros' is infinitely better than this.

I was expecting a masterpiece similar to something like Paco Rabanne's 'Invictus', Dior's 'Sauvage', or even Chanel's 'Bleu de Chanel EDT', but this isn't even close. Definitely not a lady killer. Those other fragrances get me amazing compliments non stop, this gave me none. Zero. Not one.

The initial blast is off putting to me. Iris, violet, patchouli, matched to something called 'Orris Concrete'. Violet in a masculine fragrance is very hard to make appealing. Try Geoffrey Beene's 'Grey Flannel', one of the weirdest and most polarizing scents ever made. You will either like it, or absolutely hate it. I like 'Grey Flannel' for rainy days and cold weather, but most people hate the scent. Same story here.

As this carries on, I was waiting for the drydown and base to carry this one into the sexy territory I had heard so much about. Never came. I just sat there, walking around with zero compliments and I didn't even like the smell of it myself. Patchouli and tonka bean finish this off. Meh.

With a liberal dose of a dozen sprays (neck, chest, shoulders and wrists), I am getting 7-10+ hours of longevity depending on weather, with a couple days on clothes and fabrics. Projection and sillage is average, which for an EDP and the price this commands is unacceptable by my own standards.

The first few hours is good, the rest is very limited projection and skin scent territory. Sadly, though this lasts on clothes and skin, no one will smell you unless they bury their faces into where you sprayed this.

This would be a safe work scent or close quarters indoors or date night fragrance, but absolutely wouldn't work in outdoor, clubbing or nightlife situations. It just doesn't perform or project enough for that.

I have tried several YSL 'L'Homme' flankers, and the constant problem with them I see is being over hyped while seriously lacking in the performance category. This one is no exception to that. It smells well made, but performance and reactions just weren't there. Definitely a pass for me.
04th June, 2017

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

Being a fan of Versace fragrances, I was excited about 'Eau Fraiche' when I heard it was similar to the female version of Dolce Gabbana 'Light Blue' But, it is actually more of a smell-a-like typical aquatic fresh fragrance which is somewhat boring to me.

The initial blast is citrus, lemon, water accords and subtle airy wood notes. I don't really get any fruity notes or musk here. Its not even really strong coming out of the bottle, and basically smells like a body wash that could be called 'fresh' or 'sport'. It does smell really good when it first comes out, and the first couple hours are great.

The middle and base of this comes pretty fast, and the watery accord becomes the scent. It does share a lot similarities with Dolce Gabbana 'Light Blue' once it settles down, but its way more subtle and doesn't have the sharp and piercing quality that 'Light Blue' does. I can't imagine wearing this outdoors, as it just doesn't have the projection or performance for that. Indoors, date nights and office environments in the summer could definitely work fairly well.

With a liberal application of a dozen sprays (neck, wrists, shoulders and chest), I am getting four to six hours of longevity, with average projection and sillage. After the first two hours, it becomes an aquatic skin scent that basically smells like a sport or fresh deodorant. If someone is up close to your neck they will smell it, but if they are two feet away, nothing.

I soaked myself in this for a night out clubbing and couldn't smell anything by the time we left four hours later and got no compliments with it. I always get compliments with other fresh fragrances, Invictus, Aqva Amara, Acqua du Gio and Issey Miyake to name a few. This one, nothing.

There are countless colognes that smell exactly like this and perform better, so I really just can't recommend this to anyone unless you are seeking a subtle aquatic for indoors, the office or date nights in the summer. If Versace came out with an Eau De Parfum concentration and fixed the projection and performance of this, it would easily be a thumbs up and recommend from me.
31st May, 2017

Aqua Amara by Bulgari

This is a must have summer fragrance. Bvlgari's 'Aqva Amara' is a powerful, strong and long lasting citrus bomb with enough patchouli and neroli notes to create an unmistakably masculine scent that cuts through heat, humidity and even pool and ocean water.

The initial blast is completely mandarin orange, full and fresh citrus with a light neroli and patchouli base. It is very strong, with somewhat of an ocean and watery accord, but its not an aquatic. More like a fresh saltwater drenched in citrus and white sands vibe. Amazing and energetic.

The middle and base are all neroli and patchouli, with an incense and slight musk note towards the end.The citrus and orange are heavy and dominate the fragrance throughout the entire life of the scent. The incense in the base really balances the oceanic citrus extremely well.

With a liberal application of a dozen sprays (neck, shoulders, chest and wrists), I am getting 10-12+ hours of longevity, with several days and possibly a week or more on clothes and fabrics.

The projection and sillage are outstanding, people will smell this clearly and it is definitely one of the finest summer and citrus fragrances I have ever come across. Definitely one of the strongest fresh scents I have ever owned.

I wore this in thick summer heat with high humidity at a hotel pool party and this scent projected extremely well and stayed on me for six hours. It stayed on the skin while swimming, under the misters, splashing water and everything.

I can definitely highly recommend this scent as a must have for your spring and summer collections. There is nothing out there that has this specific blend of notes or performs as well as this. This stuff is powerful and magnificent.

28th May, 2017 (last edited: 29th May, 2017)

L'Homme Parfum Intense by Yves Saint Laurent

I really had high hopes for 'L'Homme' Parfum Intense, as the original and 'Intense' versions of YSL's 'L'Homme' really suffered in the performance category. Sadly, this Eau de Parfum concentration is also a very poorly performance fragrance.

The initial blast is a lovely mix of amber, spices, cedarwood and orange, very sensual and intimate without being offensive or over the top. This could work for both men and women. It really smells wonderful and really excited me for the drydown.

As it settled in, I got mainly amber, woods and a touch of sweetness. And into the drydown all I got was amber and subtle woods. Gone were any sweetness or citrus notes.

With even a liberal dose of a dozen sprays (neck, chest, wrists, and shoulders), I am only getting three to five hours of longevity, with about eight hours on clothes and maybe a day on fabrics.

The projection and sillage for the first hour is very good, but it dies down really fast afterwards. By the third hour, it doesn't project at all and stays very close to the skin. No one will smell you unless they bury their face into your neck or wherever you sprayed this. After four hours, they won't even smell you doing that.

For an EDP concentration, this scent is very weak and performs very poorly. The price just doesn't justify the performance for this. If it was much cheaper, i could at least rate it a neutral. But this is a premium priced designer scent from YSL, and i expect much more from this brand.

Performance is highly rated on my reviews, so I just can't give this a positive review, no matter how great it smells for the first couple hours. It seems like all the 'L'Homme' fragrances from YSL suffer from very poor performance, and this scent is no different.
25th May, 2017