Reviews by Diamant

Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Clove and medicinal, smells like going to the dentist.
12th February, 2019

Royal Oud by Creed

On my skin, kind of similar to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, but much less flamboyant.
11th February, 2019

Serpentine by Comme des Garçons

The smell of a laundry, or someone ironing shirts near you. Metallic notes, heated fabric, scented starch, detergent (I’m making this up as I go). Then comes a darker, woody vetiver in the background. It smells good and it is original. Average performance and longevity.
09th February, 2019

Tam Dao Eau de Parfum by Diptyque

A woody scent in the spirit of Comme des Garçons Hinoki or Sugi. It's nice but the Iso E Super is too present to my nose and once I smell it, it spoils my enjoyment. Projection is a bit weak.
08th February, 2019

Ombre Nomade by Louis Vuitton

Very close to Nouveau Monde: same perfumer, same style, same year. I prefer Nouveau Monde because of the sweet cocoa note, but this is good too.
27th January, 2019

Journey Man by Amouage

I think that the comparison with powerful masculine scents from the 1980s is fitting. For me, Journey Man is in the same spirit as Guerlain Derby and Chanel Antaeus. We have floral and spicy head notes on a virile leather / tobacco base. The composition is elegant and perfectly balanced (I find Antaeus too loud). Great scent.
24th January, 2019

Myths Man by Amouage

I see the similarity with Interlude Man, being a sweet smoky fragrance, but this is more complex, with some dirty notes. Excellent.
16th January, 2019

Fate Man by Amouage

On my skin I initially get mostly liquorice, and a boozy scent, then I recognize cumin and incense, and light floral notes. It reminds me of Tom Ford Tobacco Oud. After a while, it becomes very dry, and evokes l'Air du Désert Marocain. A very nice scent.
14th January, 2019

Interlude Man by Amouage

Sweet and smoky, evokes memories of smoking a fruit-flavoured narghile in a chicha bar in Beirut or Istanbul. Very original.
08th January, 2019

Epic Man by Amouage

A very nice smoky woody incense, similar to Miller Harris La Fumée, with the addition of Oud which makes it more interesting in my view. I like it.
07th January, 2019

Reflection Man by Amouage

The bitter orange opening smells very medicinal to me.
04th January, 2019

Gold Man by Amouage

Musky, soapy, floral, like taking a bath in the clawfoot tub at my grandmother’s cottage in the seventies. Well done but I wouldn’t wear it.
03rd January, 2019

Memoir Man by Amouage

A dark vetiver similar to Encre Noire/Sycomore but less dark and more interesting in my view due to the complexity of the other notes.
31st December, 2018

Imitation Woman by Amouage

The opening notes are very loud. Orange and aldehydes, it smells medicinal to me. It reminds me of an ambient scent in a London department store. The drydown gets a bit quieter and more floral. There’s no way I would wear it but my wife and daughter seem to like it. It’s a feminine after all. They find it elegant. A special scent for a very sophisticated woman.
20th November, 2018

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Finally bought a bottle blind on ebay (magnetic cap). Not much to add to other reviews: I love the incense/smoke/amber; I was expecting something louder, it’s rather discreet; The sweet opening notes (plum?) don’t last very long. My girlfriend likes to bury her face in my chest when I wear it. Pretty happy with the purchase but not overwhelmed.
12th November, 2018

Nouveau Monde by Louis Vuitton

The oud / leather opening is a bit harsh but it gets softer after a few minutes thanks to the chocolate. A very accessible yet expressive oud. I have grown very fond of it.
24th October, 2018 (last edited: 29th November, 2018)

Au Hasard by Louis Vuitton

This reminds me strongly of Tauer number 11 Carillon pour un Ange. There is a mix of old wood and a grassy/floral scent (due to Ambrette seed) which to me is evocative of Lily of the Valley. The cardamom is present but faint. It smells like the Empire bedroom at Guermantes on a May day. Unfortunately the drydown is disappointing, a bit chemical with a synthetic fruity smell.
13th October, 2018 (last edited: 24th October, 2018)

Orage by Louis Vuitton

A very faithful rendition of hemp. For your Shibari sessions.
12th October, 2018

Poirier d'un Soir by Miller Harris

Bought this blind in a sale after reading the raving reviews on fragrantica. I get a bit of pear but mostly a sweet cashmere wood, a bit reminiscent of Costume National 21. I like it but it doesn't knock my socks off.
08th May, 2018

Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior

I don't often wear floral scents, but when I do, I get compliments from women - ultimately, I think that women prefer floral perfumes. This is a very nice rose, with the amber for substance. To me it's a formal scent, sophisticated and refined, but very wearable at the office, particularly if you are gay or French. One of my favorite scents at the moment.
03rd May, 2018

Sale Gosse by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Neroli. Soap. Reminiscent of Palmolive soap bar at times.
30th November, 2017

New York Intense by Nicolaï

Having started my career in Investment Banking in the nineties in Paris, I have fond memories of Guerlain-scented boardrooms full of powerful men. I own and wear Bois du Portugal, Héritage and New York Intense. I find this one a bit more discreet, the opening is not as brash as Bois du Portugal. A nice, elegant perfume.
23rd November, 2017 (last edited: 04th February, 2019)

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

I used to wear this a lot but I've grown a bit tired of its sweetish medicinal notes. I now prefer Tobacco Oud, which has stronger, more masculine notes. Gave my bottle away to my daughter, who loves it, and it's now her signature scent.

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Tried Noir de Noir twice and both times disappointed. Similar to Portrait of a Lady, it smells like my grandmother’s cupboards, but in that style I prefer POAL. To be honest I rarely wear rose scents, and when do I pick Dior Ambre Nuit, which is more sexy on a man.

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

After a short orange/citrus opening, Bigarade changes quickly to an unmistakable generic Ellena scent which could be anything from the Hermessence range. I like it but it's too expensive.

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

I bought this for my wife but she didn't like it, so I wear it. I like to wear Lily of the Valley scents in early May (this or Carillon pour un Ange, which is more woody). It brings memories of my mother and sisters picking Muguet in the park of Guermantes. I find it more herbal than floral, and very wearable for a man.

Update: my wife smelled it on me and took back the bottle. I like when she wears it.
03rd May, 2017 (last edited: 07th November, 2017)

M/Mink by Byredo

The smell of a luxury male sexbot. I get notes of pencil lead, metal, ink and turpentine, like in some Cabernet Franc wines from the Loire Valley (without the fruit of course). I find it harsh but surprisingly I got compliments from a woman who only wears white flower scents.
05th January, 2017

Bois d'Argent by Christian Dior

Near the pond in the park of Guermantes is an old wooden cabin where people change into their bathing suit when they go for a swim (except Mme de Guermantes, who always bathes naked). When the August sun shines on the wet wooden roof, the smell inside is very precisely Bois d'Argent.
22nd December, 2016

Suma Oriental by Une Nuit à Bali

There are patchouli scents which I find too spicy and aggressive, such as Noir Patchouli by Histoire de Parfum, but this one is soft and slightly sweet. Some have compared it to Serge Lutens Bornéo 1834. I find it mysterious and seductive, a bit feminine but very wearable by a man.
22nd December, 2016

Monocle Scent Two: Laurel by Comme des Garçons

I can see the similarity with Frédéric Malle Bois d'Orage / French Lover, maybe a bit quieter and duller. It's good but in the Monocle range I prefer Hinoki.
06th December, 2016