Reviews by Diamant

Sale Gosse by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Neroli. Soap. Reminiscent of Palmolive soap bar at times.
30th November, 2017

New York Intense by Nicolaï

Having started my career in Investment Banking in the nineties in Paris, I have fond memories of Guerlain-scented boardrooms full of powerful men. I own and wear Bois du Portugal, Héritage and New York Intense, but this is the weakest of the bunch in my view. I can hardly smell it. Still a nice, elegant perfume.
23rd November, 2017

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

I used to wear this a lot but I've grown a bit tired of its sweetish medicinal notes. I now prefer Tobacco Oud, which has stronger, more masculine notes. Gave my bottle away to my daughter, who loves it, and it's now her signature scent.

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Tried Noir de Noir twice and both times disappointed. Similar to Portrait of a Lady, it smells like my grandmother’s cupboards, but in that style I prefer POAL. To be honest I rarely wear rose scents, and when do I pick Dior Ambre Nuit, which is more sexy on a man.

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

After a short orange/citrus opening, Bigarade changes quickly to an unmistakable generic Ellena scent which could be anything from the Hermessence range. I like it but it's too expensive.

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

I bought this for my wife but she didn't like it, so I wear it. I like to wear Lily of the Valley scents in early May (this or Carillon pour un Ange, which is more woody). It brings memories of my mother and sisters picking Muguet in the park of Guermantes. I find it more herbal than floral, and very wearable for a man.

Update: my wife smelled it on me and took back the bottle. I like when she wears it.
03rd May, 2017 (last edited: 07th November, 2017)

M/Mink by Byredo

The smell of a luxury male sexbot. I get notes of pencil lead, metal, ink and turpentine, like in some Cabernet Franc wines from the Loire Valley (without the fruit of course). I find it harsh but surprisingly I got compliments from a woman who only wears white flower scents.
05th January, 2017

Bois d'Argent by Christian Dior

Near the pond in the park of Guermantes is an old wooden cabin where people change into their bathing suit when they go for a swim (except Mme de Guermantes, who always bathes naked). When the August sun shines on the wet wooden roof, the smell inside is very precisely Bois d'Argent.
22nd December, 2016

Suma Oriental by Une Nuit à Bali

There are patchouli scents which I find too spicy and aggressive, such as Noir Patchouli by Histoire de Parfum, but this one is soft and slightly sweet. Some have compared it to Serge Lutens Bornéo 1834. I find it mysterious and seductive, a bit feminine but very wearable by a man.
22nd December, 2016

Monocle Scent Two: Laurel by Comme des Garçons

I can see the similarity with Frédéric Malle Bois d'Orage / French Lover, maybe a bit quieter and duller. It's good but in the Monocle range I prefer Hinoki.
06th December, 2016

La Fumée / La Fumée Classic by Miller Harris

The amber / incense / smoke notes are right up my alley, the scent is discrete, which is convenient for the office, yet longevity is quite good. I wear it everyday at the office these days.
11th October, 2016

Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford

I don't get much incense or conifer and I dislike the tropical fruit scent (banana? coconut?) which the heliotrope note renders on my skin. Dangerously evocative of play doh, or of those Christmas coffee specials they serve at Starbucks. Disappointed.
28th September, 2016

Vert des Bois by Tom Ford

My sense of smell is rudimentary and idiosyncratic, but to me this smells very similar to Guerlain Derby. Maybe the Jasmine Patchouli accords. I love it.
28th September, 2016

Black by Comme des Garçons

I get mostly liquorice and fireplace or burnt rubber... it reminds me a bit of Tauer scents. It's interesting and I kind of like it but the burnt smell gets annoying after a while.
My wife says that it smells of Christmas.
22nd July, 2016 (last edited: 06th November, 2016)

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

I love the turpentine and wood accords. It makes me think of a craftsman's workshop, or a paneled room in an old club. My go-to fragrance for a Yoga session. I can see how there could be Iso E Super in there but I don't smell it (I dislike Iso E Super) .
21st July, 2016 (last edited: 24th November, 2017)

Palermo by Byredo

Opens with an acidic orange and grapefruit note which to my nose quickly evolves into a nice "baby scent" neroli. I don't get much musk or rose. Nice summer fragrance.
24th May, 2016

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford

She asked me what I was wearing and then she said "I thought I was having sex in a forest".
26th April, 2016

Arôme 3 by D'Orsay

I’m disappointed by the lavender, which only lasts a few minutes, before giving way to a creamy white flower note which smells more like tuberose than jasmine to my nose. It vaguely reminds me of Richard James Savile Row. It is a nice smell but nothing special.
25th April, 2016

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums

I once wore this to a BDSM session. My sub said she found it 'disconcerting' which was kind of the point.
23rd March, 2016 (last edited: 05th September, 2016)

Lonesome Rider by Tauer

Marzipan, yellow fruit, white flowers... It's a Condrieu ! It's very nice and does not exhibit the chemical notes which I usually smell in Tauer perfumes. I think it works well on a man and got me a few compliments. Considering buying a full bottle.
02nd March, 2016

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens

To me it's very similar to Amber Absolute, but in a softer, more civilised, more feminine - more French - way. I love both.
26th February, 2016

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

I went to a cocktail party wearing six (!) sprays of Amber Absolute... Everybody (men and women) seemed to want to talk to me.
20th February, 2016

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

When I first tried this, my wife said "That stinks, get away from me!". After the burnt rubber subsided a bit, she reckoned "It smells like Morocco, like a Moroccan souk. But it still stinks." (she knows nothing about Tauer). Personally I quite like Lonestar Memories despite the admittedly tough opening (which reminds me of the day my washing machine broke down in a cloud of smoke).
11th February, 2016 (last edited: 15th February, 2016)