Reviews by BoxPred

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

Uomo? Moschino opens with creamy lemon sherbert, almost lemon cheesecake for a short period. Through musky undertones the fragrance then dries down into a pleasant wood. A good office scent due to its inoffensive nature, this is also unlikely to be over-applied. In contrast to some others, I find a simple composition here with very little in the way of bells and whistles.

This shares quite a bit in common with Yohji Homme - both contain cinnamon, woods and musk. The Moschino offering is ultimately "lighter" due to an overarching citrus. Uomo? is also creamy whereas Yohji has more of a spice to it, but to me they smell alike. In terms of purpose this also brings to mind Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - another (in my opinion) example of a simple yet successful structure which competently harnesses citrus. Uomo? Moschino makes good use of its ingredients.
14th November, 2017 (last edited: 16th November, 2017)

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I avoided this one for a while but wish I hadn't. Will surely go down as one of the classics. A unisex scent but I would prefer to describe it as a unique masculine. Has the infamous smell of lipstick, making it an acquired taste for some. I never tire of this one. An all time great from the house of Dior.

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Tom Ford got it right with this one. Has a universally acceptable aura without being generic. Great for the office, exudes professionalism. Citrusy with a vetiver kick. Another one of those scents that delivers in a simple yet effective manner.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Neoclassical. Masterfully crafted to modernise the classic barbershop scent. This is a fragrance I would class as potentially addictive. It just works.

Black Label: Leather by Monotheme

I am impressed with this offering from Monotheme. This reminds me of the cigarette smoke filled party rooms of my youth. That may sound like the last thing you want in a fragrance but let me tell you I find this not only wearable but pleasant. The smoke is accompanied by a subtle sweetness which has a taming effect. Not the most authentic leather fragrance if that's what you're looking for. One of the more unique fragrances I own and I would recommend sampling. I get good performance in terms of sillage and longevity.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

I find Bleu de Chanel very wearable. It doesn't present itself with a wow factor but has become one of my more worn fragrances without me realising. This is due to reliability and versatility. It just does the job it is meant to do effortlessly and in simple fashion. This may be a bit mass appeal for fragrance officionados but if you just want to smell good to the majority of everyone else you can't go far wrong with this one.

David Beckham Homme by Beckham

For the aftershave version:

A quite pleasant experience. Far from what may be expected from a so called "celebrity" fragrance, Beckham Homme conducts itself with a quiet simplicity. The citrus works in seemless harmony with the ginger/pepper spice to create a fresh offering that holds a humble class. It smells designer, seems to contain decent quality and blend and even surpases many in this category due to its lack of generic qualities that are too often relied upon. What it sets out to do it does very well and in linear fashion. This is a safe blind buy at the price and unlikely to offend. Hardly a stand out fragrance but solid nonetheless.
14th July, 2016

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

I just remember this being a harsh, spicey cinnamon + aniseed bomb. Not a pleasant experience for me. Sillage and longevity were good and it was cheap.
25th May, 2016

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

There are no tricks with this. Think soap, think shaving foam, think talc, think clean and fresh straight from the shower, think old school masculine and you have Azzaro Pour Homme. A definitive barbershop fragrance with good performance. If you like more 'traditional' scents you simply can't go wrong with this. If you prefer more modern, sweet or gourmand fragrances then I would strongly advise sampling this one first. Thumbs up for a classic.
14th May, 2016

Urban : Cacao & Amber / Tobacco & Amber by Axe / Lynx

Lynx have done a good job with this new range and Tobacco & Amber is the pick of the bunch. Quite simply one of the cheapest yet best smelling frags I own. Great for everyday use, gourmandy and sweet tobacco scent that is unlikely to offend. Not the most refined of fragrances but punches well above its weight and a big thumbs up.
13th May, 2016 (last edited: 31st October, 2017)

Signature : Oud Wood & Dark Vanilla by Axe / Lynx

I agree with Folken below. This smells great for the price and provides decent sillage and longevity. The vanilla is prominent which suits me. Won't offend others and really is a great daily fragrance if you don't want to use the higher priced frags in your collection. Lynx have done a good job with this new range. Punches well above its weight.
13th May, 2016

Voyage by Nautica

Nautica Voyage is a straightforward aquatic where what you see is what you get. For me it has that ocean/marine vibe that you get from Bvlgari Aqva. It is not expensive but then I don't think it smells expensive either. What it does do is provide you with a fresh scent for the Summer which has good sillage and longevity for its type. A very safe scent and a thumbs up.
12th May, 2016

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

This gets a thumbs up because it smells divine: this is the Med in a bottle for me. Somebody mentioned that it smells like a very nice sun cream and I would agree. However, anyone who has sampled 4771 Cologne will surely agree that this simply is not worth the almost £3/ml asking price. At roughly 40 times the price of 4771 this is simply nowhere near 40 times as good. This is after all 4771 with a little something extra that lasts for a little longer (I couldn't detect this after 3 hours of wear). As has already been mentioned, you can get very similar for a lot lot less. In my opinion whether you can afford this or not it is extortionate. Doesn't stop me really wanting a bottle though :)
10th May, 2016

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

I am not sold on this one, they didn't get it quite right. Although it is not listed, I have read reviews about the overbearing presence of pepper. Whatever it is I have to agree that there is a cloying element that spoils this and prevents it from being the light and fresh Summer fragrance that it might otherwise have been. I have an EDP version but get average sillage and longevity at best. Like many other reviewers below I am giving this a neutral. It is not bad enough to dislike completely and not good enough to merit a thumbs up. Quite forgettable.
10th May, 2016

Collezione Nero by Marks and Spencer

Probably the only Marks & Spencer fragrance worth owning but by heck is it good. Smells ambery to me and has a minty note which adds a certain medicinal freshness allowing it to be a multi-seasonal offering. This is another example of a lesser known and 'cheaper' scent that would not be out of place at expensive designer level. The only downside is that sillage and longevity are average at best. If you are in the UK I would highly recommend trying. Props to M&S on this one.
30th April, 2016 (last edited: 21st May, 2016)

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Off the bat this is probably the most natural scent I own or have even tried. My nose picks up the tobacco on a subtle level. There is a very distinctive green note that gives Burberry London an earthy quality and makes the fragrance very 'genuine'. This is in my opinion a high quality perfume from Burberry which wouldn't be out of place in the niche category. It just smells like time and effort went into it. I am very happy to add this to my collection and it is fast becoming a favourite of mine. Thumbs up.
30th April, 2016 (last edited: 04th May, 2016)

1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

1881 transports me to citrus groves under the beating Mediterranean sun. Not something I would usually go for and comes across a bit dated at times but there is just something about this summery fresh fragrance that I can't escape. Sillage and longevity are average on me.
30th April, 2016

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

The original and for me still one of the best. 4771 is so summery and fresh, it reminds me of Mediterranean beaches. In short, one of my favourite smells, I just wish they would make an edt/edp version that lasted longer than half an hour. This will be replaced when it runs out.
30th April, 2016

Legend by Montblanc

Recently sampled Mont Blanc Legend. I was expecting more. This for me is very similar to Chrome by Yardley. If you are thinking of getting this one I would certainly advise trying the offering from Yardley first as it is far cheaper. Personally I am not a fan of either.
21st April, 2016

Eau de Gaga by Lady Gaga

As "celebrity fragrances" go this is a very decent example. The opening blast brought me household cleaner but this rapidly changed into a pleasant tea note supported by a traditional, generic feminine scent. After half an hour or so it evolved into something approaching Terre d'hermes/ Cartier Declaration full of citrus notes, the tea trying to hang on. Finally this dried down into a skin scent of something more masculine that I have experienced before but cannot put my finger on. So I would describe this as a non-linear unisex fragrance. While I can appreciate it, I would not choose to wear it as it is either too feminine or akin to those fragrances mentioned above which are not to my taste. Thumbs up as I can see how this could be a good option for some. Better to sample before purchase in my opinion.
28th March, 2016

Cool Water Night Dive by Davidoff

This is one of those scents that smells 'very good' on the tester card, but just 'ok' on skin. I like the concept and I find the bottle attractive enough. I think Davidoff have achieved in making this a deeper Cool Water in a way; I get a darker blue smell with some deep green undertones. It has a slight spice and can come off rather synthetic up close. The sillage is pretty good on me but the longevity is average at best. I will give this a neutral. I find it pleasant but nothing that grabs the attention or worth replacing when finished.
24th March, 2016

24 Go Dark by ScentStory FZE

This is a good quality fragrance which I would recommend at least trying. 24 Gold gets a lot of love and this one compliments the line in my opinion. Smells of good quality and I get Patchouli as the dominant note. This has been likened to D&G The One which I cannot comment on but it does have some similarity to JPG Kokorico for me with that patchouli note. I feel it lives up to the name as it has a darkness to it. I get good sillage and longevity. Thumbs up!

Edit: After further wearings and time with Go Dark I can state that Foetidus has it spot on with their review. My rating is neutral due to that plastic, sour tinge to the notes which I can confirm seem to appear right from the start. Not aweful but a tad offputting.
23rd March, 2016 (last edited: 15th January, 2017)

Bottega Veneta Pour Homme by Bottega Veneta

I like this, full of high quality pine, fir and berries to my nose. I also get good sillage and longevity which is contrary to the majority of reviews I have read. It is also quite different from anything else I own. As has been mentioned by other reviewers this is an example of taking the more traditional style of male fragrance and making it contemporary. It is almost as if they have managed to restart a trend cycle and that is what I really like about Bottega Veneta Pour Homme. Far from the sweet modern offerings (many of which I like), it is able to reproduce the type of characteristics which made fragrances great in decades gone by. It in turn offers a versatile scent that differs from the current "mainstream" and for me it fully deserves any praise it gets. Highly recommended.
23rd March, 2016 (last edited: 16th May, 2016)

24 Gold by ScentStory FZE

This is warm and gourmandy so suits my tastes very well. I haven't fallen as head over heels for it as some but can fully appreciate why this gets so much love. It really could be from a high end designer and it suits the name Gold very well. Full of oud, woods and vanilla it gives above average sillage and longevity on me. If you can get a good deal on this then it's a no brainer but it still challenges its best rivals at higher price points. Highly recommended.

EDIT: After further wearing I can confirm that the hype surrounding this fragrance is deserved. It not only smells sublime but is the only fragrance in my collection to rival A*Men for sillage and longevity. I was complimented after several hours of wearing in a public setting and can still smell traces the following day.
23rd March, 2016 (last edited: 04th May, 2016)

Bulgari Man in Black by Bulgari

I rather adore Bvlgari Man in Black. The finest recent male release that I have come across. It is my modern replacement for Gucci Rush and I get a lot of church incense which is right up my street. Good sillage and longevity coupled with high quality makes this one of my favourites. Works well in a formal/professional environment. Undoubtedly masculine and simply sublime.

Richard James by Richard James

I was a little disappointed with this. I cannot deny it's quality ingredients and composition but it is not quite to my tastes. I find this very warm and spicy. It smells a bit dated to me and is better suited to an older male. I don't dislike the fragrance and who knows, this could grow on me with time. Until that time comes I will wear it but very selectively.

Ferrari Uomo by Ferrari

This was a pleasant discovery! Yes this is a less harsh Dior Fahrenheit, very leathery petroleum that works in a linear fashion. A perfect fragrance for Ferrari. High quality at a lower price point. Performance could be better but I still highly recommend.

24 by ScentStory FZE

This smells identical to Dunhill Desire Blue. It is synthetic and smells very blue to me with some quite sharp citrus. It isn't all that bad and depending on my mood is sometimes quite pleasant. I have noticed that a couple of ScentStory fragrances have been likened to other designer frags: Go Dark is similar to D&G The One, Live Another Night is like 1 Million. Seems to be a slight trend there but I'll put it down to coincidence. In my younger days I am sure I would have fallen for this but now it is not one that I will wear often or indeed replace. Sillage and Longevity are below par. Neutral for me.

Gruhme No.14 by Gruhme

Although I give this fragrance a neutral it has more to do with performance than the quality of its smell. I find this to be a rather beautiful green offering which oozes class. Smells like a walk in a dewy forest on a fresh early morning. It is masculine and gives me the impression that good quality ingredients have been harnessed. I imagine this would be a good office scent; however while longevity is almost average the sillage is really poor. I used several sprays and a friend didn't realise I was wearing it!

Déclaration by Cartier

This along with Terre d'Hermes is just not my style. I consider the two to be almost identical, although if pushed I would say that the Hermes offering is less linear and has that little bit of something else that makes it slightly better.

When I first sampled Cartier Declaration I found the scent to be familiar and to this day I do not know where I had experienced it before. Possibly on a family member at some point but for a time I was convinced that it was from a household cleaning product. I also remember finding it quite feminine, needless to say I was disappointed having read the positive reviews. It all boils down to genre and this one just falls into a category that many love but I care little for. Even if I did like this I would rather go for TdH as I believe it to be the stronger twin.
04th March, 2016