Reviews by NettyYeti

Alford & Hoff by Alford & Hoff

I sought this out over a year ago as a fan of Rodrigo Flores-Roux’s work. It didn’t “wow” me then, but Zealot’s review prompted me to get out my sample of A&H to try again. I remembered trying this and thinking it too much reminded me of greased up body builders (maybe it was the marketing I remembered from this).

Perhaps it’s the now-cold weather, or perhaps I’ve come around to this style of fragrance, but I really enjoy this. Zealot’s review is spot-on, so I need not say much more.

I think A&H could be worn in the office. It reminds me of what I would have pictured my father or grandfather to smell like when I was a kid and the word “cologne” was used, just with a slightly more modern, boozey touch.

16th February, 2019

Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver by Hermès

I appreciate the original, but EIV’s similarities to it are fleeting. The first few hours of EIV are great - sort of a Grey Vetiver-meets-TdH feel - but I can’t get past the scratchy, cheap-smelling base.

I don’t think I’ve more to say, as Zealot’s review is spot-on, right down to the deal-breaker base. The fragrance has merits, and for that reason, I’ll go neutral, but this is definitely a pass for me.

11th October, 2018

Notting Hill for Him by English Laundry

Easily my least favorite of the EL fragrances I’ve tried. Boring, synthetic and cheap.

Riviera by English Laundry

I saw a comment in a forum post that called this “L’Homme meets Chrome.” I’d say that’s about spot-on.

A decent cheapie if you’re looking for that sort of ginger-metallic feeling, but you’re otherwise better off saving your money.

Tahitian Waters by English Laundry

I, too, don’t understand the tropical references. Definitely no VIW vibes. I get little to no coconut or lime. This one is pretty bland.

JB by Jack Black

Cartier Roadster meets Terre d’Hermes, and I like it better than either.

The eucalyptus is fresh and green - not astringent - and my favorite part of JB. It lasts maybe 2 hours and you’re left with a dry down not unlike Terre d’Hermes.

It’s a tame fragrance, but lasts the work day. A nice office scent.

14th May, 2018

VRAI by Fragonard

An Eau de Cologne-style fragrance with minimal lasting power and even less sillage. As a whole, the scent is crisp and simple. I can’t see this offending anyone, but I doubt anyone would notice anyway. The opening is lemon - reminiscent of hard candies - followed by some light herbs, but I can’t detect much after 2-3 hours. I prefer to wear subtle fragrances, but I can’t see myself choosing this over something like Lalique White.

My review is based on a “towelette” sample I received with an online purchase, and I am sampling in early spring, so perhaps performance would improve spraying on clothes in hot weather. Regardless, I think better fragrances of this style can be found for as much or less.

28th March, 2018

Tacit by Aesop

A delightful scent. Without reading the note pyramid, I picked up a leafy orange top, a sort of anise accord (the basil, I guess) and vetiver.

I didn’t expect to like this as much as I do. I’m not the biggest fan of basil - reminds me too much of cooking spices - and in the mid-notes this drifts close to that “cooking” feeling, but the vetiver is a nice foil.

I also find many vetivers too abrasive (grey vetiver gives me a migraine, for instance), but this is well-mannered throughout.

Longevity is excellent. It is light, sure, but that’s part of the appeal. Aesop does a great job of creating “natural” smelling fragrances, and Tacit is no exception.

13th January, 2018

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

Other reviewers have put this in the same category as Chanel PM. Blasphemy.

There is a public restroom where I work that the homeless frequent. PCPM reminds me of it.
28th October, 2017

Halston Man by Halston

The_Cologneist provides a good review, so I will only add that the mint reminds me of Lush Dirty, though I like Halston Man a lot more. Perhaps a bit too much spice (cinnamon?) out the gate for my taste, but it soon settles into an immensely wearable fragrance. Great for office wear. Sort of a Z-14 for Millenials.

Apparently difficult to find (I got mine, along with Halston Amber, at TJ Maxx for a respectable $13 each), but the price to value ratio makes it worth a blind buy if you find it.

14th July, 2017

The Dreamer by Versace

I don't get any of the harshness or synthetic qualities that some reviewers mention. The Dreamer is smooth and well-blended from top to bottom.

The opening is bright, almost sparkling (in the way that a dark soda pop might pop and fizz), and I wish it lasted longer.

The mid notes are a wonderful blend of lavender and fairly dry tobacco, with a touch of sweetness. I struggle to pick out other individual notes.

The dry down is tobacco, of the Cool Water variety, though I must admit that my experience with tobacco (in fragrance or otherwise) is limited. I prefer this to something like Burberry London, though if you love tobacco, I could see The Dreamer as the warm weather alternative to something like London.

I get all-day (and then some) longevity, but it wears very close to the skin. Suitable for office wear, certainly.

In terms of value, I bought the 3.4 oz. (blind) for less than $28. Take from that what you will.

29th June, 2017

Carthusia Uomo by Carthusia

JDE's review captures much of what I experience with Carthusia Uomo, so I will try to be brief.

I can see how some might dismiss this as redundant or generic (I get echoes of D&G Light Blue, for instance), but I like this style of fragrance. What sets Uomo apart is that it is very well constructed. It took me half a dozen wearings to fully appreciate it, and I feel I'm still getting to know it.

I don't smell much raspberry (at least not in a "fruity" sense), but the seaweed note that others have mentioned dances wonderfully throughout the mid notes.

This could be worn casually or for a semi-formal occasion, but it certainly has an "elegance" to it. Uomo is probably best suited for warmer weather.

29th June, 2017

L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Eau Fraîche by Issey Miyake

I'm in agreement with odysseusm on this. The top notes promise something better than the original (which I don't care for at all), but it's all downhill from there.
18th January, 2017

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

I don't mind Irish Spring soap and as an idea, I don't mind Sung Homme. It's got a squeaky clean, traditional-masculine vibe.

Why the thumbs down?

Have you ever had "laughing gas" at the dentist? If you're given too much of the stuff, you feel as if you're in a sort of tail-spin. The room almost spins. It's very unnerving.

Sung Homme reminds me of that feeling. There is a screechy, headache-inducing undertone to this fragrance that isn't apparent in the first hour, but slowly develops over time. Iso E Super? Perhaps (it usually gives me fits).

Lasts all day and punches above its weight. Overall, a well-executed idea, just not for me.
18th January, 2017

Cool Water Night Dive by Davidoff

Similar to Paris Hilton For Men. Whether you think that's a compliment to PHFM or a detriment to Night Dive probably depends on your taste.

Night Dive is a better fragrance than PHFM, but that's not asking a lot. It doesn't perform as well, however. Neither is offensive and both are wearable, so I'll go neutral here. Not a must-own, but for the price, a decent change of pace buy for those looking for a little bit a fun.

5.5/10
23rd September, 2016

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

I think Buysblind's review captures the feel of this one well. I don't get much of the original in 32, but I suppose it's a juxtaposition rather than a comparison.

32 is wearable, long-lasting and versatile. I wore it to an outdoor wedding over the Labor Day weekend and was pleased with my choice. Might have been a tad cloying had I been inside the whole time, though I've also worn this to the office (one spray to the chest).

Overall, I'd categorize it as a more youthful spring/fall fragrance. It's fun. Imagine a "sun dog" on a cool spring day. You know, those rainbow-colored ice crystals on either side of the sun. Cool, yet bright. A happy, mostly unchallenging scent.

Mont Blanc's Legend Spirit captures these same aspects, as well, though perhaps less refined. I haven't sampled both side-by-side, but for anyone smitten by 32, Spirit might be worth a look.

17th September, 2016

Gucci pour Homme II by Gucci

Love this. Personal top 10.

I'm not familiar with tea notes, but if that's what I'm smelling, more please. I'm so tired of smelling that screeching woody note in all the designer fragrances I test.

This fragrance is versitile. It manages to be fresh without feeling aquatic, sporty or citrusy. It also has an elegant vibe, but the freshness keeps it from being a date night-only wear.

Perhaps best suited for the under-50 crowd, but I could see anyone over 25 wearing this easily. The scent stays close, but I've no issues with longevity. I can see why others have commented on performance issues, but this wasn't made for the man looking to get noticed.

This is one for a man comfortable with himself. This is for the guy who's well on his way, who's already been noticed. It's YSL L'Hommes's slightly younger brother.

What a pleasant surprise. I wish I'd discovered it sooner.

Will be purchasing a full bottle.

14th September, 2016 (last edited: 16th September, 2016)

Original Vetiver by Creed

Had such high hopes for this one based on the wonderful opening, but it's all downhill from there. I dig woody fragrances ala Bottega Veneta, but for some reason the woodsy base in this (and many others) just puts me off. Borderline headache territory. Is it the sandalwood? Is there Cedar/Iso Super E in here? Whatever it is, I don't like it. I guess it's not a comment on the fragrance itself, so much as my taste/personal reaction to it, but I can't bring myself to give this more than a tentative neutral rating.

22nd April, 2016

Wood Sage & Sea Salt by Jo Malone

I had tempered my expectations based on previous reviews. This has exceeded expectations by more than a little.

Sprayed on my wrist, the longevity is fleeting, but on my chest, I catch pleasant glimpses of this throughout the day. Silage is still less than your average fragrance, but I wouldn't wear this to impress. If price were not a barrier, I'd wear this to uplift. It's intimate, and I find that desirable. A nice choice for the office on a cloudy spring day (today was 50 and overcast in my neck of the woods).

Mostly I pick up the salty/herbal vibe of this fragrance. Because there's not a strong fruity or citrus note, this feels less "fun in the sun" and more mature to my amateur nose. I'm late 20s, for reference.

Overall execution is spot-on. My only complaint is price, but this isn't a fragrance made for the masses. In that sense, the exclusiveness that might come with this is part of the overall pleasure of wearing it. Only a certain type of man will wear this. I don't think I'm quite that man yet, but it's a man I would strive to become.
20th April, 2016

Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes by Etat Libre d'Orange

Very nice and nothing more. There's nothing offensive here, to my nose. 'Jrr2ok' and 'tempest moon' offer reviews similar to my experience. I can't pick out any one note especially well. This one's well-blended and wearable. Lasts all day and performs just to my liking. (Not too strong). Although I like it, and it wears well, I wouldn't say it's an every day fragrances, nor would I buy a bottle. Would be suitable for a man or woman.

12th April, 2016

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I tried this about a month ago in the middle of winter and liked it. I was just getting into fragrances at the time. Tried again recently (late winter/early spring) and wasn't as impressed. Perhaps my change of heart is due to the weather turning, but with a few dozen additional fragrances under my belt, I think my taste is evolving, as well.

London is a fairly linear spicey/sweet tobacco-centric fragrance. Not a huge fan of tobacco notes, in general, and this one, while not bad, just isn't for me. I picked up a lot more of it on my second wear. If I were searching for a cool-weather masculine designer fragrance with a tobacco note (I'm not), I'd go with something like John Varvatos Vintage. It costs more, yes, but it's more versatile.

No problem whatsoever with performance with London. Lasts as long (6-8 hrs) and projects as much (slight to moderate) as I want in this type of fragrance.

Overall, London is better than average, but only just.

30th March, 2016

Legend Spirit by Montblanc

I quite like this. When I first smelled Spirit on paper, I was initially intrigued, but it seem to dry down into something just so-so. Nothing special. Just another ho-hum designer fragrance.

A few weeks ago, a SA offered me a sample and I slipped it into my pocket and continued with my shopping. I've had a few other samples I've been wanting to try and this one never really piqued my interest enough to give it a go. There was always something else to wear.

Finally gave it a shot today, and on skin it holds its own. Nothing spectacular, mind you, but nice. Almost addicting. Wore it to the office with just one spray on my wrist, but wound up liking it enough to spray again on my chest after lunch. It was a chilly, wet day, for reference, and the office was a tad colder than usual. It wore nicely. Not very loud. Almost intimate, which is how I like my fragrances. I'm curious as to how it will perform on a warmer day.

Overall, I could see myself buying this for casual or every day office wear this spring/summer. I really like the grapefruit note, which seems to carry fairly well into the light, musky dry down. I don't care for many of the designer/department store fragrances I've seriously tried (which, admittedly, numbers only a dozen or two) especially those of the "light" or aquatic variety, but Spirit feels just different enough to keep me wanting more.

**Update: I've now worn this three days in a row. It's pleasant and my wife likes it. Spirit and Lacoste Blanc have similar qualities, at least on paper. I've not yet sampled the latter, but definitely will now and purchase whichever I like best. Performs much better than my initial assessment.

***Second update, six months later: As the weather has gotten warmer and as I've had the opportunity to get a few more fragrances under my belt, I've noticed a definite synthetic vibe in this which - if over-applied - can become off-putting. I still like Spirit, but I'm not going out of my way to purchase a bottle. The dry down is, to my untrained nose, similar to Farenheit 32.

8.5/10
***updated rating 7/10
24th March, 2016 (last edited: 17th September, 2016)

John Varvatos STAR USA by John Varvatos

I very much like John Varvatos' others (original, artisan, and vintage, specifically), so I bought the 3.4 STAR USA blind for less than $11 hoping to find a serviceable fragrance. I wasn't disappointed, but neither was I impressed enough to keep it. I'll put the $11 toward something I really like.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Loved the classy, masculine opening, found the middle pleasant, but the end was just ho-hum. My nose is by no means refined, but the drydown reminded me of a smoother Terre D'Hermes. TdH gives me a headache after half a day, so this was not the ending I was hoping for. I had such high hopes for the first few hours, but it just didn't come together enough for me to consider a purchase. Still, Eau Sauvage gets a thumbs up for everything it does right. It stayed relatively close on me throughout the later half the day, which is what I like in a fragrance.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Tested this a week ago and after half a day it gave me a headache. My initial reaction was positive, however, and I thought I'd give it another try. Nope. Same headache.

I wish it would've settled into something less jarring. I really enjoy the top and heart, but something about the lingering, linear "sharpness" (for lack of a better term) ruins it for me. Perhaps it's the Iso E Super?

For that, I'll give a neutral rating. I can see how this would be a winner for many, but it doesn't work on me.

Vintage by John Varvatos

I'm not a regular fragrance wearer. In the past, I may have splashed on some after shave for a special occasion, but lately I've been trying to find a fragrance which is: 1. Affordable. 2. Unique enough to be noticeable but appropriate for regular office wear, and 3. Something a man in his 30's might wear (I'm 28 and most mainstream (aquatic) fragrances just don't do it for me). I have two young children and a wife with a sensitive nose, so nothing with too much sillage.

Vintage may just be what I'm looking for. This is my second day testing it, and I still like it. Day one I applied to my chest. Today my wrists. It's winter, and the top and heart notes stick around fairly well on me up close (chest), but at a distance (wrist) I can definitely pick up the tobacco and jasmine after only a few minutes. Projects fairly well at this point.

My wife liked the top notes when we were looking at samples, but the tobacco makes me wonder if she'll still go for this. The heart notes almost feel slightly feminine to me (in a good way). I like it. Very mature.

Sillage and longevity, as others have noted, isn't great, but I think that makes this a very worthwhile fragrance for the office. When I got home from work yesterday my wife had to get close to pick up the scent (not a bad thing), so this will warrant a third test wear on the weekend to see how those heart notes play out with her.

*Update: I've tried this off and on for the past week. Overall, a solid fragrance. Something I might pick up if I found it on sale somewhere for a nice change of pace, but not a regular. Lately I've been noticing more of the tobacco is coming through. These notes don't work great on me and my wife isn't the biggest fan. Still, this gets a thumbs up.
03rd February, 2016 (last edited: 07th February, 2016)

Eros by Versace

If the metallic notes weren't so pervasive, this would be more wearable. There's quite a bit going on, but the more warm, subtle pieces seem to get lost on me. Would be ok for a club or date night, but then so would most any cheaper, generic fragrance. The base notes are nice, but by the time I get there, I've had enough. Too strong for my taste.
01st February, 2016