Reviews by CollectorCT

Uomo Intense by Valentino

I recently tested Valentino Uomo Intense at Lord & Talyor. It is a beautiful, semi-gourmond dominated by notes of Iris and Vanilla. Uomo Intense is both sweet and creamy while remaining masculine. It is not too sweet for my taste nor did it get powdery on me and the quality is definitely there. It will make you feel sexy and sophisticated. I can see the appeal of this new release from Valentino and I must admit I enjoyed wearing it. Performance was good too.
30th September, 2016

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

At under $30, Burberry London is perhaps the most outstanding value in men's fragrance. You can purchase a tester or 1.7 for even less which is an absolute steal! Very high quality designer - rich, natural scent with good performance. I would describe it as a sweet woody tobacco lavender fragrance. Smells of tobacco, wood, and wine give it a warm, comforting feel. Almost a must have for the 4th quarter of the year. It is indeed a classic and I would add sexy and elegant too. For it's price Burberry London has to receive a 10/10 and might be the closest thing to a true blind buy!
05th September, 2016

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

Lapidus is wonderful and performance is monstrous! One of the best 80's powerhouse fragrances. So masculine and in your face! I love the dry down and wish they still produced scents like this. Often considered the Aventus of the 1980s - Miami Vice Pour Homme. Simply amazing stuff!
12th August, 2016

Dior Homme Cologne (2013) by Christian Dior

Extremely well composed, safe citrus scent. I really enjoy Dior Homme Cologne.
12th August, 2016

24 Gold by ScentStory FZE

24 Gold contains prominent notes of Vanilla, Raspberry, Amber, and Oud. As others have mentioned this is not a heavy oud fragrance, but it is present. A very unique and niche quality fragrance masterfully composed by the house of ScentStory. Performance is excellent as well. 24 Gold is becoming more difficult to find and price will soon be in the 100s.
05th August, 2016

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I'm sure it's been reformulated, but I can't stand this one anymore. Definitely bitter/sour scent. I couldn't even wear it because I hated the scent. Gave my bottle away to Goodwill.
09th July, 2016 (last edited: 05th August, 2016)

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Beautiful masterpiece from Chanel. I remember when it smelt rich and lasted.
23rd June, 2016

The Dreamer by Versace

I really don't get much tobacco, but a herbal vibe - yes. I was startled by the opening but after it pretty much becomes what you would expect minus the tobacco. To my nose, The Dreamer is a lavender based floral. Notes of lavender, rose, and sage are dominant with a hint of geranium. It comes off as a clean, yet dated bar of soap. It is not very modern, but then again the scent is 20 years old. The opening is harsh, loud, and slightly bitter. Quite some time later the scent becomes sweeter. The Dreamer is definitely in the same neighborhood as JPG Le Male and Prada Luna Rosa. My preference is still for Le Male. Versace's The Dreamer can be purchased for under $30 at a local discount retailer, but I would definitely recommend trying first as this scent is not for everyone.
13th June, 2016

Ultra Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Ultra Male receives a lot of hate, but why? I think Ultra Male has it's place. I had a sample and the dry down always reminded me of a cinnamon sugar cookie. I really enjoyed that and found it almost comforting. If this were a gourmand by Thierry Mugler, Pure Sugar Cookie perhaps, everyone would be raving about how great it is! I know many will disagree but once you get past the sweet pear opening, this fragrance is quite nice. I would recommend this for a casual setting or night out if you like sweet gourmand fragrances. Performance is a 10 too!
10th June, 2016

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Acqua di Gio is legendary and still great 20 years later. Wonderful citrus, aquatic, spicy, musk smell that is well done by perfumer Alberto Morillas. While it's too mainstream for me, it's a best seller for a reason. Unfortunately the performance is very average.
06th June, 2016

Unpredictable Adventure by Glenn Perri

I must say Glenn Perri Unpredictable Adventure is a decent, cheap alternative to Aventus. It is not a replacement! The man in a small fragrance shop told me it smells just like that $300 bottle. Creed is obviously a more natural smell with better ingredients and has that wonderful sweetness from the pineapple and apple notes. Unpredictable Adventure is a youthful, smokey, pine fragrance. That said, I find that I really enjoy this scent and it is an excellent value at around $20. The dry down smells very sophisticated. Performance is variable, but usually around 5 to 6 hours. Once or twice I caught a whiff at the 8 hour mark but it may have rubbed on my shirt. Sillage is good but definitely not near the Creed fragrance. It is hard for me to give this a rating. Again, this is a clone and it is in no way a substitute for the real deal. As a smokey/woody masculine scent, I do enjoy it. And I would say it gives off a very similar vibe.
31st May, 2016 (last edited: 07th June, 2016)

Acqua Essenziale by Salvatore Ferragamo

More fresh and less rich than Bleu de Chanel. Another one to skip and save your money for Bleu de Chanel EDP.

Whatever you decide to do, don't buy this at a department store for $80! I've seen it for under $20.
31st May, 2016

Eros by Versace

I can't seem to get past the fluoride mouthwash vibe from the synthetic mint aroma molecule. I've heard others say Eros gives them a headache but this has not been my experience. Versace Eros is a good sweet, creamy vanilla fragrance however I do not find it designer quality. Good performance, but definitely not worth the price. I would wait for it to show up at discounters if you really feel the need to add this to your collection. The quality is not there. If you want sweet and creamy without the mint, you can purchase CK Reveal Men or Mont Blanc Individuel for around $20.
31st May, 2016

Cuba Prestige by Cuba Paris

Perhaps the best from this fragrance house! Cuba Prestige can be purchased for under $10 at Ross or online. Sweet creamy amber scent that is very similar to the Mugler A*men dry down. Nice scent and good performance for a cheapie too. If you aren't a true fan of A*men, this does the job!
22nd May, 2016

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

It's not a terrible scent but intensely sweet. I've seen girls trying this on at department stores because they like the way it smells - that tells you everything. Yes, it smells like candy but I have to admit I love the warm, spicy opening. The dry down can be sickening. Let's cut to the chase - we all know what this is for. PR 1 Million is a loud fragrance you put on to get noticed by girls. Although I would never wear this fragrance, it does the job for a night out. It is completely juvenile (can't see any guy over 30 reaching for this) and everyone know this scent because of it's popularity. Most counters will tell you, this is a top seller - what does that say about our taste! I must say, performance is beast mode! Why can't other designer fragrances perform like this? This is EDP+!
28th April, 2016

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

What more can I say besides Spicebomb is a modern masterpiece by the great perfumer Olivier Polge. Sophisticated, mature, manly, spicy, beautiful scent. Superbly blended and refined smell of warm spice, cinnamon, tobacco, and almost has this woody/earthy quality to me. Please stop with the comparisons to 1 Million. Spicebomb is on another level. This is niche in that it is so exquisite, unique, and blows most designers away. Perfect 10/10 fragrance for men.
28th April, 2016

L.12.12 Blanc / White by Lacoste

Blanc/White is one of the best from the house of Lacoste! This fragrance is safe, inoffensive, and definitely a compliment-getter. While it's nothing ground breaking, it is pleasant and does the trick. Citrus woody scent with prominent sweet grapefruit note. The drydown is really fresh and invigorating. Good casual scent or "dumb reach" and younger ladies love this one. I think you can sample at Kohls and some department stores.
23rd April, 2016

Jimmy Choo Man by Jimmy Choo

Skip Jimmy Choo Man and pay the money for Bleu de Chanel EDP. It is much richer and more mature than this scent. Another alternative would be Dior Sauvage. Jimmy Choo Man comes across as younger and some have even said generic. The performance is poor - this is very light and soft on my skin, so I would put my money towards something else.
23rd April, 2016

Acqua Essenziale Colonia by Salvatore Ferragamo

Nice Italian barbershop style scent that would work best on an older gentleman. Soapy and clean with a loud Clary Sage note. Citrus and lavender in the background. I thought that Acqua Essenziale Colonia was a vetiver scent, but not really a strong presence in this scent. I appreciate the composition and it would make a good office scent, but likely for someone towards the end of their career not starting out.
18th April, 2016

Luna Rossa by Prada

Another lavender scent. I get lavender and mint from Luna Rossa. Am I missing something here?! Citrus notes but that dissipates quickly. Not a scent I would wear and performance is weak. Smells like something you clean the bathroom with.
02nd April, 2016

Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Invincible by Paco Rabanne! "No one man should have all that power, The clocks tickin' I just count the hours, Stop trippin' I'm trippin' of the power!" Seriously guys, gotta love the marketing here!

Coumarin, Calone, & Ambroxan synthetic sweetness! Can't really pick out any of the notes because it's mostly synthetic aroma compounds. Four perfumers and I'm still not impressed. Definitely not a scent for a mature man. Invictus should sell for around $15 - this is not even designer quality. Why do I assign this value? Because you can pick up Nautica Voyage or Chrome Legend for less than $20 and both smell better. While PR Invictus stays on your skin for hours, performance is not beastly. I'm sure it will get you noticed, just not something I want to wear.
22nd March, 2016

Versace pour Homme by Versace

Clean, fresh citrus scent with lemon & aquatic notes from the house of Versace. Strikingly similar to Chanel's Allure Homme Sport. I really enjoy Versace Pour Homme & from my standpoint it is inoffensive. Scores high marks for scent & versatility. Great for work, casual, date. Unfortunately, the performance is not as good as Allure Homme Sport & I find the juice quite light for an EDT. Still, I can't deny this is a nice release from Versace & perfumer Alberto Morillas. Unfortunately, if you already own Allure Homme Sport by Chanel, this is probably a pass because it is not very unique.
21st March, 2016

Voyage N-83 by Nautica

I really enjoy this scent from Nautica, but unfortunately the performance is so weak! Clean and masculine but only for two hours. Weak concentration. Even for the price, I can't recommend N-83 because the performance is so abysmal for an EDT.
20th March, 2016

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Sporty, creamy, clean and classy! This is the sport fragrance to own period! Allure Homme Sport is perfect for a young, athletic man. I picture Daniel Craig wearing this in Casino Royale. This is a fantastic fragrance gentleman. A modern masterpiece that most people will appreciate. I can not image someone saying this smells bad & the word cheap should never be mentioned in a review of this fragrance. It was my signature scent in my late 20s - so many compliments from women young and older. Every time I smell it, the scent takes me back and reminds me of some lovely women I've dated. Made me feel energetic and invincible whenever I got up from my desk and caught a whiff. Just wear it and you will see what I'm talking about. My advice to young men - save your money & purchase Allure Homme Sport by Chanel. Scent and performance are worth the price you pay at department stores (be aware there are lots of fakes/knockoffs out there). All you will need is two sprays to the neck & you will smell alluring almost the entire day! Perfect 10/10.
19th March, 2016

Cuba Royal by Cuba Paris

I bought the 30 or 35ml of Cuba Royal for around $5 just to try it & donated the bottle after a few wearings. It's not terrible but sweet - 90% similar to PR 1 million though I get a bit of creamy tobacco. You are not getting a very rich fragrance & no where near as loud as one million. Works for around one hour, then no one can smell it. If you want a good clubbing fragrance, it must be loud. There is simply no reason to wear this fragrance out.
19th March, 2016

Ferrari Uomo by Ferrari

Not a fragrance I enjoy. I purchased a small 1 oz of Ferrari Uomo EDT for cheap and I regret it. I would say it's a soft, less floral, more synthetic version of Dior Fahrenheit. Probably won't be wearing this one much, but I do recognize it as a value play. Good longevity but never projects that far from the skin.
18th March, 2016 (last edited: 01st April, 2016)

Hilfiger Athletics by Tommy Hilfiger

I use to wear Hilfiger Athletics in college & as I recall it did the job! I stumbled upon it one summer at a discount retailer & I suppose it was a lucky pick! Lots of compliments as well.
14th March, 2016

Gucci Guilty pour Homme by Gucci

Very safe designer fragrance. To me it is a floral with heavy lavender. Smells nice to my nose & most will enjoy, however this is very light & doesn't seem to last on my skin. For that Gucci Guilty is a pass.
14th March, 2016

Brooks Brothers for Men by Brooks Brothers

Sophistication and class in a bottle. Brooks Brothers Cologne is great for both work and formal occasions. This screams I am mature, enjoy expensive well-tailored suits, earned my MBA, and drive a Mercedes Benz.
11th March, 2016

Reveal Men by Calvin Klein

Recently picked up this bad boy discounted under $20! Great alternative to Versace Eros, which in my opinion is synthetic & gives off a fluoride mouth wash vibe from the mint aroma substitute. CK Reveal is a sweet, boozy, vanilla scent. You have the backbone of Tonka bean & Amber that gives Reveal that creamy vanilla feel throughout layered with notes of Agave, Melon, & Tequila. Admittedly, this is not the most masculine fragrance but the type that ladies tend to enjoy. I received two compliments my first time wearing Reveal. While it's not a favorite in my collection, I appreciate this unique, well blended fragrance & the artistic risks the perfumer’s took. No complaints on longevity or projection either. Nice release from the house of Calvin Klein. Thumbs up. From prior reviews, I can see that this one is polarizing. As always try on your skin before you buy.
11th March, 2016