Reviews by redharvey

Erolfa by Creed

Opens up with that creed-fake-citrusy accord akin to Neroli Sauvage (citrus potpourri that’s extremely dated). The urine is definitely present in the first 30 minutes too. We’re off to a pretty rough start.

But after an hour or two, it calms way down to what I would consider is a quality, smooth, sexy, well blended aquatic scent that hovers off the skin a foot or two and makes the upsetting opening almost worth bearing.
The 90’s Creeds are definitely a different generation than the recent releases. Wow. Again, after the first hour, this is doable. But for what they’re asking for this jumble of satisfaction... I don’t see a full bottle coming anytime soon.
13th December, 2018

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Woody, dry, fresh, citrus.

A well crafted cedar fragrance that smells natural. A little bit of orange/lemon is present in the background. There is an odd mineral note that does suit the vibe of this, but does take away from the versatility and adds a bit of maturity. Probably best suited for formal wear in cooler weather.
12th December, 2018

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

To me anyways.. very clean, light, bright and super polished. Definitely unisex.
06th December, 2018

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

A dated feminine orange potpourri. Zero Neroli. This fragrance is a strong testament to the popular opinion that Creed does not live up to the hype, price, or expectation. To me, Neroli Sauvage is not an attractive scent.
03rd December, 2018

Sauvage by Christian Dior

Such an unbelievably unnatural concoction of chemicals.

Some say this smells good, despite the bad press... if by 'good' you mean I can smell you coming down the hall from 10 feet away and you leave the scent behind you that manifests as a vile chemical cloud that remains for 15 minutes? If that is what You're going for then sure. Its in your face, cocky, and obnoxious, maybe like the wearer? I'm not sure...

Something had to have gone wrong during production and they decided to stick with it. Was it supposed to be a fresh barbershop style aromatic, and it ended up as the loudest most synthetic thing released to date? I think so.
06th November, 2018

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

"The taste of her cherry chapstick."

There's your top notes, in addition to the familiar youthful A*Men base that I consider timeless and seductive.

The cherry does open a bit strong and feminine to me but it dies down within an hour and remains, mellowing out the rest of the whole fragrance to a beautiful soft cherry woody scent for the remainder of its presence. Excellent cold weather date night scent. Very sweet, comfortable, and unique. Projection and longevity are on par with the rest of the line. Gorgeous fragrance.

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Sweet, Woody, Boozy, warm.
These (for lack of a better term) seductive top notes in addition to the usual familiar youthful A*Men base.

It's a strictly cold weather date night scent that exudes confidence and class. It's not to be taken lightly or over sprayed. It projects well and is heavy, making it probably the least versatile of the line but it is the most interesting.

Trying to sum up the hype for this one, I think the TM marketing dept. has excelled here and the novelty factor is strong with this one. "Pure Malt" sounds awesome! It's a whiskey themed fragrance?! All that paired with a solid blend of notes...

Undeserving of the hype, but still really good.

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

Dark, coffee, wood, spice.
That mature combination of top notes, but also maintaining the youthful base that carries through into every A*Men. My favorite of the flankers so far, followed by Pure Malt in a close second. Not as sweet as PM or PH; has a darker, more mature quality.
The scent is resinous and beautiful, and fitting to anyone between 25 and 60.
A cold weather gourmand, not unlike its brothers, but this one can be a little more forgiving in slightly warmer weather. Solid 6 hours of projection and another 8 as a lingering skin scent. I think it's rare to find such a universally pleasing, interesting, yet unique male fragrance.

Invictus Aqua by Paco Rabanne

I wish I had more hands, so I could give this fragrance four thumbs down.

This has to be the worst frag I have smelled since sampling and collecting over the last few years. It is an insanely synthetic chemical sharp pungent mess. I've smelled this on a passing stranger before and thought 'what in the hell?' I thought it was The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner with perfumers alcohol at the time. Then it had to be a month later, I ordered a sample and when this came I had to laugh a little. Somehow there's a small cult following of this release and trying to understand the justification for it is completely mystifying.

Smelling this, I can picture a 22-year-old trying way too hard with his man-bun and invictus aqua ready to conquer the loudest overpriced club in the suburbs.

An absolute 0/10.
11th October, 2018

Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès

Citrus, woody, dirty, yet fun.

The bright and fun loving younger brother of its original counterpart. It's cleaner and orangey-er and in my opinion designed to be worn in a more carefree environment like a day outside with people you respect. Save the original for lawyers and my father, this suits a man in his 30's who also saves *a lot* for his retirement. Excellent release.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Clean, barbershop, woody, mature.

A great scent that has clearly earned its place. Not exactly a playful or youthful scent meant to be worn by a younger man or anyone who is tallying complements, but a mature man to be taken seriously. I will be purchasing a bottle when I turn 40.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Green, soapy, fresh, clean, fun.

Awesome sauce. A very fine rendition of what many consider to be the traditional eau de cologne- but playful, versatile, modern and very appealing to everyone around you. May have to reapply every few hours but it is truly confidence and freshness in a bottle! An absolute must have. 9.5/10

Al Wisam Day by Rasasi

95% Silver Mountain Water and 5% a dirtier, earthier edge and a little bit of natural woods. Doesn't smell as over-clean and uber-polished like SMW does so it gains versatility and for that reason I prefer it. Great performance and 1/8 the price doesn't hurt either... awesome release.
12th May, 2018

Osaïto by Micallef

Wanted to like it, based on other recent reviews. Reported as a niche quality aquatic and has a killer looking bottle to boot. Unfortunately the strong up-front rubbery sour floral note is all I can smell and it was by far enough to turn me off to this one.

Bulgari Man Extreme by Bulgari

Citrus, green, herbal, woody.

Starts off with a very attractive citrus accord that dies fast. The woods remain in the background of this scent for the entire time, which unfortunately only lasts a few short hours. The green and herbal parts to me combine to remind me of something familiar. It's like a green-olivey note that reminds me of TF Costa Azzura. It's not bad but slightly odd. At least it blends in well with the rest.

The main players in this scent smell extremely natural and inoffensive to me. And although it seems to me it is a somewhat generic scent but at the same time actually unique. That combination makes it signature scent worthy to me. I wish it lasted a bit longer though...

Voyage by Nautica

I can't remember the last time I was this repulsed by a fragrance. Smells like a fruit bowl that's been left outside for a week in June. Some rain has filled it to the top and it's had a chance to thoroughly rot. Extremely cheap and extremely synthetic. The fact that there are so many far superior cheap frags out there blows my mind that this even sells.

Antaeus by Chanel

We get it man, you're wearing cologne.

Sure its a high quality , but there's no way anyone under the age of 60 should be wearing this. Every frag has it's 'time' and place, but the small window this one fits just doesn't jive.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

Fresh and young.

The scent itself is edible. I'm not even going to bother trying to breakdown the different notes or whatever as it all blends beautifully into this linear wear that last all of about an hour. Wore this often in Junior high and for good reason, it's the cleanest and most seductive scent a fifteen-year-old boy can wear.

Shouldn't be applied once you obtain a high school diploma though. I wish someone would somehow someway create a more mature rendition of this.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Fresh, Herbal, Clean, Woody.

Once again, that excellent Chanel quality is there making this inoffensive, extremely versatile, well blended, and easy to wear. It's a compliment machine too, if that's your thing. We've all smelled Fierce by A&F so picture this as a polished and more refined version. The former is probably meant for the ages 15-25. Throw another 20 onto that for Platinum Egoiste.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Warm, Earthy, Spicy.

Will forever be associated with fall colors and cooler weather later in the year, as it's been my casual signature scent for the past two fall seasons. Difficult too because I whitetail hunt that time of year and I really shouldn't be smelling like anything but it still gets the attention it deserves. The combination of cinnamon/nutmeg and that earthy undertone is really superb.

It's another one of those scents that smells knockout awesome but doesn't last more than an hour (Black Walnut, Millesime Imperial). Great thing its found cheap and easily though because you'll need about 12 sprays throughout the day.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Creamy, Orangey, Synthetic, Warm.

Definitely a pleasant and quality fragrance that is easy to like. Modern Chanel quality is there, to which I define as well blended, extremely versatile, and holds good performance.

Strangely enough I wear it on semi-formal occasions and when I go kayaking.

David Beckham Homme by Beckham

Woody, citrusy, a little spicy, and little dull.. If you're familiar with Terre d'Hermes then you'll find this to be a fresher, easier and less mineral-y version.

I think it's much harder to find a 5-star casual signature scent than it is to find a 5-star formal signature scent. Not saying this is 5-star worthy in my book, but its quite a pleasant easy and refreshing scent to wear on the daily, especially due to the $15 price tag. I'll give it a thumbs up for being easy and masculine I guess.

Black Walnut by Banana Republic

"My apartment smells of rich mahogany."

Can't really say what hasn't been said here already. But- I'll say it anyway. Yes this scent is damn gorgeous and no it doesn't last more than two hours. Throw 6-7 sprays on and your chances of any decent longevity will be better. Good thing it's found easily and cheap!

Reminds me of spending a weekend in a snowy downtown Chicago.
27th February, 2018

Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani

Dark, smoky, modern, insanely masculine.

What I consider to be an extremely sexy and strong scent. I get zero resemblance to the original. Projects stronger than almost any fragrance I own, including Aventus, so please go easy otherwise it is very off-putting.

Winter date night home run.
27th February, 2018

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I guess I don't understand all of the hate behind this. Or maybe I was never exposed to what angers so many people about this fragrance. But going on scent alone, it's a super fresh, clean, citrusy, and super soft woody aquatic, and smells amazing as long as it's not overdone.

Girls want their man to smell simple, fresh and let the man himself be confident, not some guy willing to let his fragrance do all the talking for him.

Tribute by Mary Kay

Smells how it looks: like a piney green powerhouse.
Not necessarily offensive, but perhaps outdated.

This scent will forever remind me of my dad walking out the door to go on a dates in his leather jacket c. 1998-ish... and for me that is kind of a cool nostalgia.

Sel Marin by Heeley

Dry, Clean, Salty, Fresh, Clear.

Has to be one of the most natural smelling fragrances out there. It starts with a dry lemony salty note that keeps for the duration, with the lemon eventually toning down. It's definitely linear but not to say it doesn't last for the rest of the day.
It's versatile enough to wear on a weekday or special trip. I wore this everyday on my honeymoon in Maui and for that it will be remembered.

It's amazing stuff. In a sea (hahaha) of aquatics, Sel Marin keeps it real.

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

While it smells good, actually great, I don't see it as a versatile fragrance whatsoever. Definitely warm, classy, and sensual, overall it's just not my style. It could be said that it is sweet, almost syrupy sweet.

As with any fragrance, I'm sure this has it's person and place, but unfortunately there are far superior options when a classy scent is warranted for this average Joe.

The only thing barely keeping me from trading this in is the gorgeous bottle. But when that's the only thing left...

Cordovan by Banana Republic

Clean, fresh, woody.
Absolutely nothing offensive here, and it garners compliments.
It is a keeper and my simple wintertime signature scent. It could be considered generic but there's that 10% of it that you haven't smelled before. It's versatile enough to wear out in slacks and leather jacket or just a day at home.
10th February, 2018

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

Novelty idea. What sounds more manly than 'Rocky Mountain Wood?' Good Question. So there's the presentation.
The actual scent: WOOD;VIOLET. Lots of each. It's interesting, sort of pleasant but maybe its just not my style as its quite feminine to me, despite the name.
It projects and it lasts. Probably best suited for some sort of outdoor event on a warm spring day.. maybe a wedding in the woods?
10th February, 2018