Reviews by redharvey

Al Wisam Day by Rasasi

95% Silver Mountain Water and 5% a dirtier, earthier edge and a little bit of natural woods. Doesn't smell as over-clean and uber-polished like SMW does so it gains versatility and for that reason I prefer it. Great performance and 1/8 the price doesn't hurt either... awesome release.
12th May, 2018

Osaïto by Micallef

Wanted to like it, based on other recent reviews. Reported as a niche quality aquatic and has a killer looking bottle to boot. Unfortunately the strong up-front rubbery sour floral note is all I can smell and it was by far enough to turn me off to this one.

Bulgari Man Extreme by Bulgari

Citrus, green, herbal, woody.

Starts off with a very attractive citrus accord that dies fast. The woods remain in the background of this scent for the entire time, which unfortunately only lasts a few short hours. The green and herbal parts to me combine to remind me of something familiar. It's like a green-olivey note that reminds me of TF Costa Azzura. It's not bad but slightly odd. At least it blends in well with the rest.

The main players in this scent smell extremely natural and inoffensive to me. And although it seems to me it is a somewhat generic scent but at the same time actually unique. That combination makes it signature scent worthy to me. I wish it lasted a bit longer though...

Voyage by Nautica

I can't remember the last time I was this repulsed by a fragrance. Smells like a fruit bowl that's been left outside for a week in June. Some rain has filled it to the top and it's had a chance to thoroughly rot. Extremely cheap and extremely synthetic. The fact that there are so many far superior cheap frags out there blows my mind that this even sells.

Antaeus by Chanel

We get it man, you're wearing cologne.

Sure its a high quality , but there's no way anyone under the age of 60 should be wearing this. Every frag has it's 'time' and place, but the small window this one fits just doesn't jive.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

Fresh and young.

The scent itself is edible. I'm not even going to bother trying to breakdown the different notes or whatever as it all blends beautifully into this linear wear that last all of about an hour. Wore this often in Junior high and for good reason, it's the cleanest and most seductive scent a fifteen-year-old boy can wear.

Shouldn't be applied once you obtain a high school diploma though. I wish someone would somehow someway create a more mature rendition of this.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Fresh, Herbal, Clean, Woody.

Once again, that excellent Chanel quality is there making this inoffensive, extremely versatile, well blended, and easy to wear. It's a compliment machine too, if that's your thing. We've all smelled Fierce by A&F so picture this as a polished and more refined version. The former is probably meant for the ages 15-25. Throw another 20 onto that for Platinum Egoiste.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Warm, Earthy, Spicy.

Will forever be associated with fall colors and cooler weather later in the year, as it's been my casual signature scent for the past two fall seasons. Difficult too because I whitetail hunt that time of year and I really shouldn't be smelling like anything but it still gets the attention it deserves. The combination of cinnamon/nutmeg and that earthy undertone is really superb.

It's another one of those scents that smells knockout awesome but doesn't last more than an hour (Black Walnut, Millesime Imperial). Great thing its found cheap and easily though because you'll need about 12 sprays throughout the day.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Creamy, Orangey, Synthetic, Warm.

Definitely a pleasant and quality fragrance that is easy to like. Modern Chanel quality is there, to which I define as well blended, extremely versatile, and holds good performance.

Strangely enough I wear it on semi-formal occasions and when I go kayaking.

David Beckham Homme by Beckham

Woody, citrusy, a little spicy, and little dull.. If you're familiar with Terre d'Hermes then you'll find this to be a fresher, easier and less mineral-y version.

I think it's much harder to find a 5-star casual signature scent than it is to find a 5-star formal signature scent. Not saying this is 5-star worthy in my book, but its quite a pleasant easy and refreshing scent to wear on the daily, especially due to the $15 price tag. I'll give it a thumbs up for being easy and masculine I guess.

Black Walnut by Banana Republic

"My apartment smells of rich mahogany."

Can't really say what hasn't been said here already. But- I'll say it anyway. Yes this scent is damn gorgeous and no it doesn't last more than two hours. Throw 6-7 sprays on and your chances of any decent longevity will be better. Good thing it's found easily and cheap!

Reminds me of spending a weekend in a snowy downtown Chicago.
27th February, 2018

Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani

Dark, smoky, modern, insanely masculine.

What I consider to be an extremely sexy and strong scent. I get zero resemblance to the original. Projects stronger than almost any fragrance I own, including Aventus, so please go easy otherwise it is very off-putting.

Winter date night home run.
27th February, 2018

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I guess I don't understand all of the hate behind this. Or maybe I was never exposed to what angers so many people about this fragrance. But going on scent alone, it's a super fresh, clean, citrusy, and super soft woody aquatic, and smells amazing as long as it's not overdone.

Girls want their man to smell simple, fresh and let the man himself be confident, not some guy willing to let his fragrance do all the talking for him.

Tribute by Mary Kay

Smells how it looks: like a piney green powerhouse.
Not necessarily offensive, but perhaps outdated.

This scent will forever remind me of my dad walking out the door to go on a dates in his leather jacket c. 1998-ish... and for me that is kind of a cool nostalgia.

Sel Marin by Heeley

Dry, Clean, Salty, Fresh, Clear.

Has to be one of the most natural smelling fragrances out there. It starts with a dry lemony salty note that keeps for the duration, with the lemon eventually toning down. It's definitely linear but not to say it doesn't last for the rest of the day.
It's versatile enough to wear on a weekday or special trip. I wore this everyday on my honeymoon in Maui and for that it will be remembered.

It's amazing stuff. In a sea (hahaha) of aquatics, Sel Marin keeps it real.

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

While it smells good, actually great, I don't see it as a versatile fragrance whatsoever. Definitely warm, classy, and sensual, overall it's just not my style. It could be said that it is sweet, almost syrupy sweet.

As with any fragrance, I'm sure this has it's person and place, but unfortunately there are far superior options when a classy scent is warranted for this average Joe.

The only thing barely keeping me from trading this in is the gorgeous bottle. But when that's the only thing left...

Cordovan by Banana Republic

Clean, fresh, woody.
Absolutely nothing offensive here, and it garners compliments.
It is a keeper and my simple wintertime signature scent. It could be considered generic but there's that 10% of it that you haven't smelled before. It's versatile enough to wear out in slacks and leather jacket or just a day at home.

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

Novelty idea. What sounds more manly than 'Rocky Mountain Wood?' Good Question. So there's the presentation.
The actual scent: WOOD;VIOLET. Lots of each. It's interesting, sort of pleasant but maybe its just not my style as its quite feminine to me, despite the name.
It projects and it lasts. Probably best suited for some sort of outdoor event on a warm spring day.. maybe a wedding in the woods?

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

Clean, simple, sweet. Definitely no harsh or uninviting notes here. 90% natural sweet lemon and 10% herbal... a bit too unisex for my liking but at least I can say it isn't synthetic smelling in the least bit. My elementary age daughters love this one on me...

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Green indeed and throughout. Wish the lemongrass opening lasted longer though. Ends with the everlasting violet drydown after 8 hours which is pleasant, but somewhat floral unisex. Think starting your day on a very green, clean, and expensive golf course. With dew still on the grass and the bright sun above you. Classic scent!
03rd December, 2017

Himalaya by Creed

Smells fresh, cold, clean, and modern.
Not overpowering nor cloying.
Go for Aventus or GIT for special occasions, as Himalaya is not groundbreakingly unique, but definitely a safe scent for daily wear.
03rd December, 2017

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I had high hopes for this. Hopes. This is listed as a high-ranking aquatic in said genre, but all I smell is hot garbage.
Wear this if you plan on attending a funeral- with all the flowers, senior relatives, and the deceased of course, you will fit right in. Not good and not for sharing.
15th December, 2016

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

The stuff is classic... What else is there to say?
The original Shulton is what I'm talkin about here people! I work as a firefighter in a busy city so needless to see if I'm going to smell like something other than smoke it better be masculine. I'm a younger guy so I don't overdo it but the senior men appreciate the classic vibe as it relates to a strong physical work ethic and overall masculine nostalgia. Some things never die.
20th August, 2016

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Wow. This stuff is rough. I obtained a bottle of the original formula (with 'Homme' above).
Blasting opening of cherry cough medicine notes. Nothing else. It's strong- but I maintained some faith for the dry down.
...Nope. Same smell two hours later, just with a little less nostril burn. I'm glad I tested this out at home with no one around. Especially the girlfriend.

Now, in all fairness, I understand that much of this frag stands on nostalgia- being an oldie and all.
I was too young (and fortunate) to experience this in its Hey-Day. But it seems that to many, Joop! Is a scent that hands out an old classic scent that reminds them of when they first started wearing.
So, despite some depth in nostalgia, this frag rates low on my scale based on raw physical scent. Off I go to wash this stuff off before she gets home.
21st March, 2016